Teenage Fanclub/Evan Dando

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Teenage Fanclub/Evan Dando

Post by Guest »

For some reason (low ticket sales?), the owners of Double Door and Metro in Chicago decided to merge the Evan Dando and Teenage Fanclub shows into one. Dando performed solo acoustic and had a Gram Parsons vibe going. It was alright, but I got bored. The Fanclub were fantastic. Superb guitar tones and a setlist full of should-have-been hits and cuts from their great new album, Man-Made. It made me wonder why I had never gone to see them before.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wups. That was me that started this thread.
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

The fannies are great. Don't even get me started on Evan Dando...
The local indiestation (Radio Helsinki) just hypes this artist so often (along with The Posies), that it truly fucks me up. Ok, maybe not that bad and nice that we have at least one independent radio station, but still...
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

Juzba wrote:...fannies are great...
Yes, they shoo are.

The only time I've seen Dando live, was at Gig on the Green, maybe 3/4/5 years ago, I thought he was pretty good...maybe a little try to hard, to be not try too hard. Oh, the Strokes, were absolutely pish at that gig, as well.

Anthony Pappa was rockin' in the dance tent, wonder what happened to that Aussie breakbeat meister?
I only feel right
with a football at my side
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Evan Dando/Lemonheads.
That joke sits squarely on your side of the Atlantic(that aimed at our European friends). He/they never sold many records over here but somehow managed to get over hyped beyond belief thanks to NME and Melody Maker.
I know some will say Lick is good but if want that kind of music i'd much rather put on a Replacements or Husker Du record.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

you mean like Bush, only the other way round?

(That's Bush, the band, obviously...)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

precisely. touche :shock:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

its a shame about ray is still 30 minutes of perfect pop. the rest should probably be ignored.
will this do

Post by will this do »

clewsr wrote:its a shame about ray is still 30 minutes of perfect pop. the rest should probably be ignored.
And the Favourite Spanish Recipies EP (Different Drum).

He wasn't hyped that much IIRC (and it was probably Sounds/Melody Maker more than NME) until AFTER Lick... which is quite a good Husker Du record. And he's a better looking lad than Bob Mould.

Actually, it wasn't really even Hype, as such (again - IIRC). If the coverage started in the expectation that he was the Next Big Thing (on the basis of Mrs Robinson getting loads of 'crossover'), it quickly adapted itself to a kind of 'lets all laugh at the beautiful waster piss it all against the wall' scenario once he came over here.

When did 'Shame...' come out? I think all the Hype was being saved for the Manics/Suede/NWONW (based on my Theory of Constant Hype - hype is neither created nor destoyed, merely marshalled).
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I think 'Ray came out in 1992. It was quickly re-released with Mrs Robinson tapped on the end, which spoils it I reckon.

Its an album that takes me back, I was 17 and the soundtrack consisted of spz, verve, boo radleys, jim hendrix, lemonheads, airhead. *sigh*

Then I heard 'big gay heart' on a freebie glastonbury tape which immediately put me off. Not the sentiment you understand, just that it was shite.

WTD - I think you are right Lemonheads were hyped some, but then Autuers and mainly Suede got most of it after that. Dando then seemed to turn into a public laughing stock. Too many shebert dips it seems.
wtd?

Post by wtd? »

God... I was 22/23. I lived in a flat in Cambridge with my mate, jut like the Beatles, but there were only 2 of us, and no furniture, no telly. We had to listen to something called Mick and Sarah Jane who had a kind of mid-evening Indie show Straight Outta Peterborough (the Radio 1 equivalent at the time was Mark Goodier, obviously a non-starter). Mrs Robinson was one they always played... we used to ring them up, to get them to plug the gigs we used to promote at The Boat Race.

Adorable... whatever happened to them? All of those bands were great, but The God Machine was on heavy rotation in that flat, along with that Weatherall/MBV 12"... Dinosaur... Soul Kiss... and I had a double LP collection of Laughing Gnome era Bowie that was rarely off the turntable (for some inexplicable reason) ... :?
stanislav leskie

Post by stanislav leskie »

--
Last edited by stanislav leskie on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

It's this one:

The Bowie Collection, on Castle Communications...
A1 The Laughing Gnome
A2 Rubber Band
A3 Love You till Tuesday
A4 Maid of Bond Street
A5 Sell Me a Coat
B1 In the Heat of the Morning
B2 Karma Man
B3 Please Mr. Gravedigger
B4 London Boys
B5 She's Got Medals
C1 Silly Boy Blue
C2 Join the Gang
C3 Did You Ever Have a Dream
C4 The Gospel According to Tony Day
C5 I'm Not Losing Sleep
D1 I Dig Everything
D2 Can't Help Thinking about Me
D3 Do Anything You Say
D4 Good Morning Girl
D5 And I Say to Myself

There were some really good mod/soul soungs on there, as well as some quite surreal Anthony Newly type stuff. We liked it because of the Swinging London, Silly Girl songs like London Boys, Maid of Bond Street, Sell me a Coat etc.

And the Laughing Gnome himself, of course. Pure genius... we used to smoke *quite a lot* of course, and sometimes that heavy grinding psych stuff would make you feel like your ears had been nailed to the floor. That breezy, walk in the park stuff was a brilliant antidote... quite a lot like Syd Barrett Floyd (which of course was written about Cambridge... where we lived... I HAD a bike... knew what the Games for May were... Grantchester Meadow, Stawberry Fair, Gog Magog... ).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Did you ever hear 'Let Me Sleep Beside You' from that era? It was on an old budget tape that had a few of those listed above on it, long disappeared into the mists of time so who knows what it was called...

Amazing tune! Brett Anderson once said that was his favourite Bowie number, and it certainly beats the majority of Dave's later work... I think.

"Let your hair down..."
stanislav leskie

Post by stanislav leskie »

--
Last edited by stanislav leskie on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
will this do

Post by will this do »

There's a version of Let Me Sleep Beside You and a fantastic Organ-driven In the Heat of the Morning on the BBC sessions cd... and for your money you also get Bombers and Supermen from the Ziggy era (... and many many more!).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Trucks vs Lorries

Post by BzaInSpace »

stanislav leskie wrote:

yeah, that's what i've got, it's "love you 'till tuesday", an old budget tape exactly! a nice pic. on the front of db at age 19 or so. great shirt. but anyway, yeah it's got:

love you till tuesday
the london boys
ching-a...

Yes!
That was the one. How could I forget The London Boys :lol: