How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out track listing

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael.

Your rant about EAR shows you have formed an opinion based partly on the fact you dislike Pete's music. I don't like much EAR but if that's what he wants to do let him do it. Personally I think John Coltrane's music is horrible - I've tried to see the genius but I don't get it at all. So I leave people to it. And I certainly don't apologise for Pete's musical actions - I'd prefer him to make music more in tune with what I like but he doesn't follow trends or instruction, preferring to do his own thing. That I respect. There are very few who take that line in music making.

I don't think the versions of the songs on How The Blues sound 'exhausted' and I don't think anyone who has heard them thinks so either. Have you heard the discs? If Pete was trying to line his own pockets he'd have done something on a bigger scale. Trying to raise a quick few grand to finish an album isn't quite as offensive as you make it if the resultant music is as good as these CDs are. He has no label, no backing, no money. He earns about £15k a year and has bills to pay the same as anyone else.

I don't see why you are so worked up - you started this by saying Pete has no influence in Spacemen 3. The guy is Jason Pierce's biggest influence by introducing him to so many new sounds. Just seems that as you don't like what Pete is doing and disapprove of How The Blues. Can't get much more out of your rants than that I'm afraid.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Anonymous wrote:I got mine last month. Be patient.. It took 3-4 months to get stuff from him last time.
Date: Sep. 14, 2005
Time: 12:32:15 EDT

* sigh *

So it looks like January 14th or thereabouts... :roll:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Have you emailed him and asked why it hasn't appeared? He normally responds.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

no; i guess i could do that, but didn't want to appear too, erm, pushy?
michaelpoiu

Post by michaelpoiu »

runc, your opinions are both well expressed, and well excepted... i leave you to your music; and myself to mine...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nicely worded Michael. I'll remain convincingly unconvinced.
rspaceman22
Known user

Post by rspaceman22 »

wow i just read this thred and i cant believe pk came in to comment himself. that is one of the coolest things i have seen.
lular
Known user

Post by lular »

wow, i just re-read this thread and i am eating some of my words and they don't taste very good!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i emailed pk and it should be on its way within a week.
guest8

past or present

Post by guest8 »

I'm a little late jumping in here but I don't understand the complaints about the reissue. Pete is criticized for making music that is more experimental in nature (EAR) and he is criticized for living in the past (reissuing Spacemen material). How can he be solely living in the past if he continues to make new music (Spectrum, solo, EAR)? If people want older stuff and he's got it then he should release it. I think this is different than re-releasing the same stuff multiple in a different order: that honor goes to the fine folks at Island Records and the estate of Bob Marley. Now I hope Pete (and Jason) will treat us with respect and not re-release the material everytime a deal runs out with some newfound materials (as Elvis Costello is doing). Either you have the shit or you don't--I don't buy into this "I just found this buried in a closet excuse". I am tired of buying the same release 5 times over because of new formats and the inclusion of new materials. But I think Pete has been fair with us--the first CDs came out without demos and such because they wanted us to hear the album. Now there are reissues with demos. Cool. But I would be pissed if another round of reissues appears with some more stuff. In those cases I think the artist should *also* release a separate CD with just the added stuff for those of us who already bought the CD. Okay, this is rambling. The point is that I don't seem him trying to live off the past. He seems like a guy who cares about music and a guy who is trying to do what he can to make another record. Take care.

D
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

well said d.
natty who can't log in

Post by natty who can't log in »

I didn't use a computer for ages and so nearly missed the boat. I emailed PK recently and he's sorted one of the un-numbered ones for me. Cheers Pete. Would anybody be up for emailing me the sleevenotes, as I'm still fascinated as ever about the history of the songs. Anyone? Cheers.

Post by Guest »

wtf, only page 10? You bitches haven't been catty enough lately. lol
;)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

davedecay wrote:i emailed pk and it should be on its way within a week.
well, 1/1/06 and no sign of it yet...
***Twizzler***

Post by ***Twizzler*** »

Dave, once again, I suspect you are mailing the wrong place.

Besides, mail is always in lockdown over the festivities...
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i don't know how subtly i can encourage piracy, but, you know, as regards how the blues shoulda turned out; if anyone wants to ... spread this around ... send it in my direction ... then that'd be nice ...
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ooooooooooh, pete's gonna yell at you!!!

xx

p/s- but if you do get a copy you know where to send it!!!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i emailed pk at his own address.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I just ordered mine today for 35 GBP.

Even if is doesn't turn out as well as I'm expecting (which I highly doubt), I'm supporting musicians that make music I care about.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

a beautiful noise wrote:ooooooooooh, pete's gonna yell at you!!!

xx

hahaha, this made me chortle. Pete hasn't yelled at anyone for a while now. I kinda miss it, lol.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

no-one's posted in this thread for a while, so i thought we could play a game, liven things up while pete's not around. it's called pass the cds. anyone?
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I'm not playing, I've already had my ass served and didn't like it one bit.. well maybe a little, lol. ;)
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
a beautiful noise
Known user

hmmm, seems like nobody wants to play with us.

i still think it's a great game.

xxme
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

well can someone burn me a copy, since PK can't be arsed to send me the one i paid for months ago?
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

be patient. I felt the same way. took just as long for me to get my stuff :]
-D. H. Lawrence
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

feetsies wrote:be patient. I felt the same way. took just as long for me to get my stuff :]
"Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:21 pm
i emailed pk and it should be on its way within a week."
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I'm with you on this one Dave. Barring any unforseen physical/mental ailments, it is just a down right snub to take so long to live up to one's end of the bargain AND keep the money all this time. It's total disrespect to Dave. I mean nobody is THAT busy that they cannot be arsed to drop by the post for god sake. BURN BABY BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISCO INFERNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LET THE CDRS FALL WHERE THEY MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, instead of waiting on Pete, lets get two birds with one stone by starting a tree and send each other cash for copies: we help Pete's struggling distribution department and everyone gets to get down!!!!!

hehe. just kidding pete :roll: :shock: :roll:
I think I feel it coming on
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I think it's funny that it took just as long to get spiritualized stuff. Just sayin' ;]
-D. H. Lawrence
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

Hey, instead of waiting on Pete, lets get two birds with one stone by starting a tree and send each other cash for copies: we help Pete's struggling distribution department and everyone gets to get down!!!!!
ha ha, well good.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

12 days past 4 months now.

just sayin'.

want some genius-level blues/rock/psyche/preachin?
want it cheap and quick?
try my local guy Brother JT, aka John Terlesky from Original Sins.
$5 a disc instead of $20, and i bet you they come within a couple weeks.
http://brotherjt.com/home.cfm
davedecay wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I got mine last month. Be patient.. It took 3-4 months to get stuff from him last time.
Date: Sep. 14, 2005
Time: 12:32:15 EDT

* sigh *

So it looks like January 14th or thereabouts... :roll:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I got mine in the mail today. I was giddy like a kid on Christmas morning. It's very good. Worth $60? Probably...not too sure right now.
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

anorthernsoul wrote:no-one's posted in this thread for a while, so i thought we could play a game, liven things up while pete's not around. it's called pass the cds. anyone?
I'M KINDA TURNED ON BY THIS FLIRTY BEHAVIOUR. I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO U A DEAL.........
CHK CHK#
PK
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

purespace wrote:I'm with you on this one Dave. Barring any unforseen physical/mental ailments, it is just a down right snub to take so long to live up to one's end of the bargain AND keep the money all this time. It's total disrespect to Dave. I mean nobody is THAT busy that they cannot be arsed to drop by the post for god sake. BURN BABY BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISCO INFERNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LET THE CDRS FALL WHERE THEY MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe. just kidding pete :roll: :shock: :roll:
U GUYS......I DUNNO..........
I'M SORRY.........I DO BEETTER THAN SOME FOLK ????????????????& WORSE THAN OTHERS .
U THINK I DONT HAVE TO WORK AT THIS ?
BESTEST
PK
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

feetsies wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:ooooooooooh, pete's gonna yell at you!!!

xx

hahaha, this made me chortle. Pete hasn't yelled at anyone for a while now. I kinda miss it, lol.
MAYBE I YELL WITHOUT REALISING ? I WRITE IN CAPITALS (OR I COULD ONCE) TOO . I'M NOT GONNA GO INTO MY PHILOSOPHY ABOUT THIS . MY LIFE HAS BEEN PRETTY OBVIOUSLY ABOUT MAKING MUSIC TO MAKE PEOPLES LIVES A LITTLE SWEETER & BEARABLE (AND FUCK IT -MINE TOO !)- AND THATS A FAVOUR STRONGLY OWED TO THOSE WHO DID THAT & MORE FOR ME . IF ITS A CRIME , YOUR A BETTER MAN THAN i.
iF I WORKED DESIGNING ,EG, I'D BE SORTA HAPPY , BUT WOULD U CARE AS MUCH ? i'D HOPE SO , BUT DOUBT IT .
NOT SHOUTING , DROWNING
LUV
PK
PETE K
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

davedecay wrote:i emailed pk and it should be on its way within a week.
I FIGRED IT WAS JUST MY TIME ZONE THAT WENT IN&OUT ?
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

michael poiu wrote:You know, it's really sweet to see everyone coming out in Pete's defense - in response to my comment; "I can't wait till he releases these same tracks in a different order, that will be awsome!"

Wont it though?

Isn't this what you've accustomed yourselves to in the past 15 or 16 years since the 3's demise? Pete exhausting his efforts and resources on cover art and rearranging track listings rather than creating real music (because that racket he’s creating under the pseudonym Sonic Boom can hardly be called music)... but hey let’s be honest, isn’t it really just appearences that moves the vapid like you?

You should devote some serious attention to this: Everyday, in our popular culture, the public is constantly being drawn from genuine works of art, by swarms of mediocre artist - (you know, that dull, shallow, insipid breed of men produced daily by the thousands) - for being akin to their own nature, they always seize on what is perverse and dull. These 'artist' not only draw attention from genuine works of art, but annihalate the lying possibility of the education these works afford, and retard the progress of our age by limiting their influence. Proof of this can be seen in the old rule, the longer it takes for an artist to gain his influence, the longer this influence usually lasts.

This swarm of mediocrity should be met with critisicm for the simple fact that the artist should be ‘made to apply his muse else where’. Now, given Spacemen 3 have had a huge influence over me personally, Pete's side projects I've not been too impressed with, which leads me to believe he had very little to do with their success. Jason Peirce will go down as one of the most influential artists of our time - of Pete's influence, as I've said, I'm not so confident. However, I was incredibly impressed with Spacemen 3 and if I am mistaken, then now more than ever, this artist should be met with a criticism that is long over due - as to apply his resources towards a brilliance - once exuberant in his youth, now diminishing along with it.

For the simple fact that he releases the same tracks in different orders, with sporadic insinuations of unreleased tracks to grasp your attention (and pocket books) – I am made to believe he’s now in it for the money and no longer the art – and you’re all falling for a ruse as common and old as it is pathetic - done soley for money. As I have said I may be wrong. And Pete, if you’re listening, some of your releases with Spacemen 3 are fantastic. However, take a hint, you’ve exhausted them. Apply your muse towards the music, not the cover art and track listings meant merely to supplement it.

Michael
[/quote]

mICHAEL , YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUTR OPINIONS -IN FACT , I'VE OFTEN RELIED ON SIMILAR FROM SIMILAR FOLK . aS LONG AS IT MAKES YOU UNHAPPY , THATS MADE ME KNOW I'M DOINNNG SOMETHING RIGHT . i CANT EXPECT YOU TO UNDERSND & I DONT.
iI'VE LONG TRIED TO CROSS TALENTNESS WITH MINIMALISM . I'M DEVASTATED YOU FOR ASSURED ME I'VE FAILED.
HAVE A GOOD WEEK
PETE KEMBER
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

SONICs BEEEN RINSIN' OUT THE FFfORUM!!
I FoR ThE ReCORD LIKE EAR IT MAKES ME FEEEL LIKE I'M mmMELTING.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

DEAR PETE,

IT WAS ALL JOKES REALLY, I JUST WANTED YOU TO POST. I KNOW YOU WEREN'T YELLING SO MUCH AS PUTTING PEOPLE IN THEIR PLACE WHICH I FIND AMUSING.

SMOOCHES,
AMELIA
-D. H. Lawrence
spacecadet01
New user

JABBAER JABBER

Post by spacecadet01 »

Hey Pete I live in L.A. I am not realy sure what the hell you guys are all trying to figure out. But where can I get a copy of this 2 cd set.

By the way when are you coming back to Cali.

Last show I saw you was as the Troubador. Fuckin Awesome.

I felt the fuzz all in my head. Staying cool in Cali- spacecadet
BAH!

Post by BAH! »

"iI'VE LONG TRIED TO CROSS TALENTNESS WITH MINIMALISM"
Fucking great, i say. Not an easy job if you ask me. I would hade failed. Bigtime.
Keep up the good work Pete! The SP3 CD set is the best goddam record of the year for me.
Johan
toomilk
Known user

Re: JABBAER JABBER

Post by toomilk »

spacecadet01 wrote:Hey Pete I live in L.A. I am not realy sure what the hell you guys are all trying to figure out. But where can I get a copy of this 2 cd set.
I'm from LA and I got me a copy. Just email him: sonic@sonicboomuk.fsnet.co.uk

He'll probably tell you to paypal him the money.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i go to my post office box every day hoping to see my discs, but they have not arrived yet. i s'pose it's the slow boat from the UK, maybe they got lost going 'round the sea serpents and viking attack vessels?
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

BAH! wrote:"iI'VE LONG TRIED TO CROSS TALENTNESS WITH MINIMALISM"
Fucking great, i say. Not an easy job if you ask me. I would hade failed. Bigtime.
Keep up the good work Pete! The SP3 CD set is the best goddam record of the year for me.
Johan
I'll confess 2 being a bit Loaded that day , its menna say 'cross talentlessness with minimalism'........
best
pk
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

davedecay wrote:i go to my post office box every day hoping to see my discs, but they have not arrived yet. i s'pose it's the slow boat from the UK, maybe they got lost going 'round the sea serpents and viking attack vessels?
have u not got this yet ?
email me at sonic@sonic-boom.info
i'll sort it.
I know sometimes i'm a bit slow .
I manage myself ,create & distribute this paraphenalia , record new stuff , help other bands out where I can , as well as being my own booking agent (leastways for E.A.R. & my DJ'ing), as well as try to have a social life .
so , in advance , apolagies if something seems slow.
I've never ripped anyone off & if Amazon have it , be my guest .
bestest
pete
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

pete,

first,: never thought you'd be one to rip anyone off. not sure what the Amazon thing means, i was just joking about those old world maps with the drawings of what was in the seas.

second: i'll dash off an email regarding the order. i realize stuff happens, thanks for following up on this. no worries, all will be sorted, i'm sure.

dave
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

davedecay wrote:pete,

first,: never thought you'd be one to rip anyone off. not sure what the Amazon thing means, i was just joking about those old world maps with the drawings of what was in the seas.

second: i'll dash off an email regarding the order. i realize stuff happens, thanks for following up on this. no worries, all will be sorted, i'm sure.

dave
no ,
no sweat . just saying it like it is.
i meant amazon -the site for buying cds & shit . the amazon would be a bit out the way , even in a serpent powered longship .
I never use them either.....
I wish i had more time 2.....
wtd?

Post by wtd? »

Why are there no credits on the sleeve of the Spacelines Cd, Peter?

Post by Guest »

sonic boom wrote:
Johan
I'll confess 2 being a bit Loaded that day , its menna say 'cross talentlessness with minimalism'........
best
pk
Hey Pete! I got that. understood what you were trying to say...thought it was kinda funny tho....

Johan
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

wtd? wrote:Why are there no credits on the sleeve of the Spacelines Cd, Peter?
Eh? :roll:
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

will this do? wrote:
ya got me there .
hmmm........
I can tell you tho ,
u can tell from my sleeve notes datres right ?
according to the period it those people . our credits were never totally pure anyway .Everyone played therir parts on the whole , but if anything was problematic whoever did it best quickest did it . Often Jason did a vast amount of work in a very short time - onTHINGS'LL NEVER BE THE SAME he worked out his guitar part backwards , reversed the tape , played to a backwards track -check that out if you wanna get trippy , and recorded his takes in about 2 hours tops......He often played the organ too , and plays keyboards very adequately .
sorry bout the missed props .they all know they did what they did .
Pete k
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

sonic boom wrote:
will this do? wrote:
ya got me there .
hmmm........
I can tell you tho ,
Pete k

No! I mean the 'Spacelines' compilation of yr. influences... Rolf Harris, John Mayall et al. (I love it greatly, by the way)...
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

will this do? wrote:
sonic boom wrote:
will this do? wrote:
ya got me there .
hmmm........
I can tell you tho ,
Pete k

No! I mean the 'Spacelines' compilation of yr. influences... Rolf Harris, John Mayall et al. (I love it greatly, by the way)...
oh . ok.
cos its a bootleg ,out & out.
its on no label if u look -its on Munster actually .......pirates !
i dont mind my address being on it .never got any contact from any those peeple except a couple i know , but i'd like to .
I got permissions for a few -. or you mean songwriting credits ?
An iPOD will give you all that , nicely , even offa any cd as long as u hook up online whilst on Itunes i think .
SPACELINES 2 is in the pipeline .
regds
pk
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

Anonymous wrote:
sonic boom wrote:
Johan
best
pk
Hey Pete! I got that. understood what you were trying to say...thought it was kinda funny tho....

Johan
well , that guy - was it you ? was a nut . cool.
glad u were amused
pk
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

SPACELINES 2 is in the pipeline .
well good ...

Post by Guest »

sonic boom wrote:why dont u burn the s3 catalogue while you're at it & include them free. am I the only person who equates paying for the music /products i like to support the band to continue to exist/release stuff ? Or does everyone think they've a right to everything they desire , cost free. Does anyone out there understand economics outside of their pocket money ?
sometimes I wonder.......
bestest
Pete K
sonic boom wrote:Why are there no credits on the sleeve of the Spacelines Cd?
regds
pk
a beautiful noise
Known user

haha, all i can say is pete, "JUMBO shrimp".

xx?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Anonymous wrote:
sonic boom wrote:why dont u burn the s3 catalogue while you're at it & include them free. am I the only person who equates paying for the music /products i like to support the band to continue to exist/release stuff ? Or does everyone think they've a right to everything they desire , cost free. Does anyone out there understand economics outside of their pocket money ?
sometimes I wonder.......
bestest
Pete K
sonic boom wrote:Why are there no credits on the sleeve of the Spacelines Cd?
regds
pk
Thank you, Guest... that's kinda what I was driving at... meanwhile, I look forward to Spacelines 2, etc
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

sent emails, still nothing from PK.

whassup, peter? it's almost middle of April now...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

He's away at the moment.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

sooo ...
how the blues shoulda turned out.
anyone? anyone? bueller? share the love? anyone?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

runcible wrote:He's away at the moment.
ah, i see that from the link on the other thread.

pity it couldn't have been sorted in the 6 months prior to the tour. :roll:

maybe someone could trade with me so i can hear what i paid for, while waiting for the official discs from PK... :?:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

And for anyone who ordered a Spacemen 3 shirt from Pete, he emailed me a few days ago and said that he has still not received them from the printing place yet.

Post by Guest »

Davedecay has the patience of a saint.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Anonymous wrote:Davedecay has the patience of a saint.
Amen. I just ordered Willie's new Freelovebabies limited edition cd last week and guess what? I just received it in the post this morning here in the States AND it has custom art work on the cover by Willie himself. Now, how is that for prompt?

I now surmise that fans are treated according the hunger of the artist . . . I elect Willie for Sonic and J's merchandising agent. Beats the hell out of me why Sonic would offer shirts he didn't have in his possession now with 4 months and counting. Are things really that slow across the pond? Anyway, no longer going to beat this dead horse. I'm never buying from this site or Sonic's again which is a shame. I would never think of treating my customers at my retail business in this fashion. In fact, I would be out of business.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

purespace wrote:
Amen. I just ordered Willie's new Freelovebabies limited edition cd last week and guess what? I just received it in the post this morning here in the States AND it has custom art work on the cover by Willie himself. Now, how is that for prompt?
Good, in't it!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

slim wrote:
purespace wrote:
Good, in't it!
mmmmmm lordy! its got me GROOVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: willie has got it going on. word.