spacemen 3 breakup

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

amanita muscaria

spacemen 3 breakup

Post by amanita muscaria »

said on spacemen's allmusic.com review:

"[...]Despite the addition of new blood to its lineup, the band was beginning to fray because of in-fighting between Sonic Boom and Pierce, as well as the former's increasing drug dependency."

i tought both spacemen kicked off heroin in the band's early days (according to some sonic's early interviews) and were only using grass and, you know, "mild" stuff.... but that review is the only (as far as i know) who mention the "addiction" fact....
well, if someone can shine a light on me..................
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I don't think drugs had much to do with the breakup. Peter was a registered addict on methadone at the time, but that just seems like extra sensationalizing on an already sensational story that involved, among other things, a pissing contest about song credits, an argument over who wrote the words for "Billy Whizz", and a debate over whether "no girls allowed" was a hard and fast rule on tour.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

... not to mention the "clockwise or anti-clockwise" bust-up over which way to pass the joint.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Starfish wrote:... not to mention the "clockwise or anti-clockwise" bust-up over which way to pass the joint.
if only they had passed it upon the left hand side . . . :roll:

i'll get me coat.
I think I feel it coming on
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

twentysixdollars wrote:I don't think drugs had much to do with the breakup. Peter was a registered addict on methadone at the time, but that just seems like extra sensationalizing on an already sensational story that involved, among other things, a pissing contest about song credits, an argument over who wrote the words for "Billy Whizz", and a debate over whether "no girls allowed" was a hard and fast rule on tour.
If only it was that simple...........
with regard to having someone financially & morally steal something from you - is that your idea of a good friend ?
Jason wanted to pass off the work of my soul as his own . I dont expect most folk to understand .
'no girls allowed' was'nt a hard & fast tour -just an anti-yoko device.
I cant expect non-band members to understand that either .
oh well......
have a good week

pk

Post by Guest »

I thought they finally, finally broke up cos Pete ripped Jason's hair out of his head.
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

That explains why Jason had short hair for a time back in 91-92' in his first tour of the U.K. as Spiritualized.

Post by Guest »

sonic boom wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote:I don't think drugs had much to do with the breakup. Peter was a registered addict on methadone at the time, but that just seems like extra sensationalizing on an already sensational story that involved, among other things, a pissing contest about song credits, an argument over who wrote the words for "Billy Whizz", and a debate over whether "no girls allowed" was a hard and fast rule on tour.
If only it was that simple...........
with regard to having someone financially & morally steal something from you - is that your idea of a good friend ?
Jason wanted to pass off the work of my soul as his own . I dont expect most folk to understand .
'no girls allowed' was'nt a hard & fast tour -just an anti-yoko device.
I cant expect non-band members to understand that either .
oh well......
have a good week

pk
I understand. I've toured in bands myself (although no-one with as high a profile as the Spacemen had at the time, admittedly) and if you're virtually living on a tourbus, in each other's pockets 24 hours a day, tempers can easily fray. Having a couple sitting in the back of the van canoodling and ignoring the rest of the band will only exacerbate any tensions which are alrready there. I agree, I think work and romance are tow seperate things which do not mix.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

well here's how we crossed that bridge in my band, considering we have two females in it. early on i told both of them, that if they were going to sleep with someone in the band, they were gonna have to sleep with everyone in the band.

solved the problem early on. sex and bands just do not mix.

xxme
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Did you tell the guys in the band that too Shonn?

I'll bet you fine them for bum notes too...
a beautiful noise
Known user

I'll bet you fine them for bum notes too...[/quote]

why would you attempt to make me out to be a bastard? i have total respect and admiration for the other musicians i work with. i have clasically trained musicians that play in the band that would rather work with us than "real" musicians. our trumpet player ditches work to rehearse with us because he feels it's more rewarding.

besides, how could the same group be together for 3 years now if that was the case...

if your head is up your ass, it's best to say nothing.

so fuck you.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

a beautiful noise wrote:we have two females in it. early on i told both of them, that if they were going to sleep with someone in the band, they were gonna have to sleep with everyone in the band.
What a fucking asshole.
a beautiful noise
Known user

twentysixdollars wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:we have two females in it. early on i told both of them, that if they were going to sleep with someone in the band, they were gonna have to sleep with everyone in the band.
What a fucking asshole.
ohh jesus christ. it wasn't meant literally i was totally joking with them, you guys have no clue to the level of sarcasm that runs rapant in our band... one of my girls closest friends plays keys for us. and double jesus because her brother is the drummer and thats just gross.

so apologies to ANYBODY that i might have offended. it wasn't meant that way.

sorry sorry sorry.

xxme
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

a beautiful noise wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote:
What a fucking asshole.
ohh jesus christ. it wasn't meant literally i was totally joking with them, you guys have no clue to the level of sarcasm that runs rapant in our band... one of my girls closest friends plays keys for us. and double jesus because her brother is the drummer and thats just gross.

sorry sorry sorry.

xxme
I agree, it's difficult to express sarcasm/tongue in cheeky things on these boards (let alone for readers to get it when it does happen). At least I suck at it anyway. Welcome to the cyber age. I've self-destructed on this board many time for that very reason. Cheers abn.
I think I feel it coming on
a beautiful noise
Known user

purespace wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote:
What a fucking asshole.

sorry sorry sorry.

xxme
I agree, it's difficult to express sarcasm/tongue in cheeky things on these boards (let alone for readers to get it when it does happen). At least I suck at it anyway. Welcome to the cyber age. I've self-destructed on this board many time for that very reason. Cheers abn.

it's baffles me that anybody would assume that it was meant literally. i mean this is the spiritualized board not limp bizkit.

xxme

and as for $26 he'll do anything to to try to show he's superior. he must be a hoot in reality telling random people how to change to be more like him.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

don't apologise shonn ... jefferson airplane know what you mean.

there's some really interesting interviews with kevin shields about the improved dynamics and importance of having girls in a band. he made it sound pretty positive.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

try one of these :D .... they seem to work.

:D

see?
Ginger Spice

Post by Ginger Spice »

yes, I think having girls in a band is a grand idea!
Belinda Carlisle

Post by Belinda Carlisle »

although they can get rather catty
Debbie Harry

Post by Debbie Harry »

having boys in a band is ok. but sometimes they behave all sexist n shit.
patti smith

Post by patti smith »

yeah! debbie, pm me-
debbie harry

Post by debbie harry »

you mean pms :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Roberta Flack

Post by Roberta Flack »

you go girls!
Simon LeBon

Post by Simon LeBon »

i have girls in my band and i just love 'em
Ian Svenonius

Post by Ian Svenonius »

listen my children
girls are great
and not just for sleepin with
or lookylooks
everyone's the same, dontcha know.
every baby cries the same
every baby
at least to these ears
a beautiful noise
Known user

anorthernsoul wrote:don't apologise shonn ... jefferson airplane know what you mean.

there's some really interesting interviews with kevin shields about the improved dynamics and importance of having girls in a band. he made it sound pretty positive.

too true, they literally hear things different. laurern and emily (cello and keys) add such a balance to our sound. they make me look at writing in a different manner, which is a really good thing. plus certain tracks where i might struggle to write lyrics to i pass it to emily to see what she can do with it and she will give the track a whole new meaning and perspective.

i would never ever work in a band with all boys. uugghh. no chance.

that just really pissed me off what both of them said. i'm an extremely passive person that totally admires women and their constant fight for equality. it's been a male dominated world for way too long.

keep on keeping on good brothers and sisters.

xme
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Both of who?

Read the posts again. Which part of mine do you think is serious?

Er...calm down.

"if your head is up your ass, it's best to say nothing. "
a beautiful noise
Known user

BzaInSpace wrote:Both of who?

Read the posts again. Which part of mine do you think is serious?

Er...calm down.

"if your head is up your ass, it's best to say nothing. "

apparently nobody can tell when anybody is joking.

sorry bza, you've been good to me.

xxme
amanita muscaria

Post by amanita muscaria »

oh you and your god damn fuckin bands... now the topic is plenty-o-shit

thank you, quoters!
a beautiful noise
Known user

amanita muscaria wrote:oh you and your god damn fuckin bands... now the topic is plenty-o-shit

thank you, quoters!

sorry
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

a beautiful noise wrote:
purespace wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote:
What a fucking asshole.

sorry sorry sorry.

xxme

it's baffles me that anybody would assume that it was meant literally. i mean this is the spiritualized board not limp bizkit.

xxme

and as for $26 he'll do anything to to try to show he's superior. he must be a hoot in reality telling random people how to change to be more like him.

can i clarify . my comment refferred to hangers -on , not band members.
you might remember I played & toured with Stereolab for some time. I have unending love & respect for Mary , less so for Laetitia who I'll happilly go on record as saying is one pain in the arse of a person -sex playing no part in these opinions.
I did say I didnt expect people to understand .
I should've said I expect there'll be a page of totally timewasting bullshit posted by people who apparently cant read & dont care etc etc ...............
pk
a beautiful noise
Known user

sonic boom wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:
purespace wrote:[

can i clarify . my comment refferred to hangers -on , not band members.
you might remember I played & toured with Stereolab for some time. I have unending love & respect for Mary , less so for Laetitia who I'll happilly go on record as saying is one pain in the arse of a person -sex playing no part in these opinions.
I did say I didnt expect people to understand .
I should've said I expect there'll be a page of totally timewasting bullshit posted by people who apparently cant read & dont care etc etc ...............
pk
you'd have figured by now pete that not everything on the SPIRITUALIZED website would revolve around you and your views.

but hey don't let me stop your ranting and raving.

always good to hear from ya!

xxme