Lee Hazlewood

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

Lee Hazlewood

Post by simonkeeping »

Discuss
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Hero. Genius. End of discussion.
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

think i may be in the minority here...and i almost feel a need to apologise, but Lee Hazelwho?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I'm *kinda* with you - imagine an even more acid-fried C&W Scott Walker, of whom nobody would have heard if he hadn't linked up with Nancy Sinatra for a bit. Probably.

What I've heard seems ok, but I don't feel in a position to contribute further to the discussion.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

These Boots Were Made For Walkin' ... Some Velvet Morning (you know, covered by the Scream and Slowdive). Hazlewood's a badass. I found a reissue of a rare album by him called "13" that's fantastic. Go check out whatever you can get your hands on and if you have trouble, I can provide.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

TheWarmth wrote:... Some Velvet Morning (you know, covered by the Scream and Slowdive).
Slowdive? are you sure you don't mean Starpower (Primitives spinoff, which featured Tracy Tracy as Nancy)?

And for gawd's sake don't bring Primal Scream's version into this. It's shit (two words: Kate Moss).
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I have little to add here, as I don't know who he is. Other than the metion of Nancy Sinatra. I recently bought an old vinyl copy of 'Boots' which I really enjoyed. Google tells me he was her producer and er Svengali.

What was the deal?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Slowdive covered Some Velvet Morning on Souvlaki ... it's a bonus track on the U.S. version so it must have been a b-side in the U.K. It's a pretty cool version of the song.

I actually like the Scream's version, too. I don't think Kate's vocals sound that bad.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's another bit of trivia ... Lee's wife Suzi Jane Hokom produced The International Submarine Band's album, Safe At Home (the band Gram Parsons was in before The Burrito Bros.). Apparently, Gram ran into Hazlewood at a bar and straight up asked him if he'd help him out. Hazlewood saw something in Gram and agreed to allow them to record at his studio with his wife as producer. It's a pretty cool album if anyone out there hasn't heard it.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

lee hazlewood's brilliant. i've heard jason quote a line from after six in interviews. i'm always kind of mystified by the praise for the first nancy and lee record, did you ever/again is much superior i think.

i've heard bits of thirteen, it sounded good ...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Ok, not end of discussion...

There's loads of LH albums available on rapidshare. I'll find the links when I get home.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Apparently when he recorded Trouble is a lonesome town it was only a demo which he wanted to give to another artist. but the record company liked it so much they released it. I just love the way his voice sounds so desparate, not as in clingy and needy desparate, just a bit f'ked. You can tell hes lived. Check out this one, from an early 45. Amazing!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... nmedia.com
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

TheWarmth wrote:Yeah, Slowdive covered Some Velvet Morning on Souvlaki ... it's a bonus track on the U.S. version so it must have been a b-side in the U.K. It's a pretty cool version of the song.

I actually like the Scream's version, too. I don't think Kate's vocals sound that bad.
Kate's *vocals*? Nah... we're going to have to agree to disagree, because the mere thought of the whole ghastly mess is making me feel a bit ill. I think I still have it on cd (with bonus video). On the basis of current form, that will probably remain the last Primal Scream record I ever buy.

I figured Slowdive *couldn't* have done it, because it couldn't have been more than 2 years after the Starpower version (which they would have heard...). I was wrong.
assoc.
Known user

Post by assoc. »

sand is good tune.

i've also always liked the line at the end of his version of 'these boots are made for walking' ....it goes something like:

'and this is the part of the song where the engineer eddie bracket said "if we don't fade this thing out, we're all gonna get arrested'
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

The 1972 album Did You Ever/Nancy & Lee is one of my favourite albums ever.
Such warmth and good humour throughout, some great songs and sounded like a lot of fun to make.

/ Anyway check out these rapidshare downloads (some of them have artwork in the zips). All albums have been ripped from vinyl.

Forty
http://rapidshare.de/files/24670088/lee ... _.zip.html

Not So Very Important Persons
http://rapidshare.de/files/22513424/LH-NSVIPs.zip

Friday's Child
http://rapidshare.de/files/22437921/LH- ... 92kbps.zip

Love & Other Crimes
http://rapidshare.de/files/22432540/LH- ... 192kbs.zip

some tracks from 45s
http://rapidshare.de/files/25068287/LH45s192kps.zip

* Remember, you can only download one thing every hour on rapidshare, unless you pay up to be a member
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

Cheers Starfish...

apologies for asking a potentially daft question - are these a selection of albums / tracks produced by Lee Hazelwood?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

... and while you're gorging yourself, check this out

http://rapidshare.de/files/13397950/LH_ ... h_Band.zip

from a blog....."Here's a bizarre recording from 1967:
Lee Hazlewood conducts the 98% AMERICAN MOM & APPLE PIE 1929 CRASH BAND, performing a selection of his compositions in the style of a vauderville or music-hall band.
When I found this gem in a local second-hand store, I thought it was either a hoax or a contractual obligation release, but the tunes are expertly executed and it certainly sounds like they were having fun in the studio. The seller's description on the price sticker erroneously reads "WEIRD!! Lite Surf 196?" He got the first bit right, but I've yet to hear surf music played like dixie on a honkytonk piano!

The musicians names are cunningly disguised with cryptic pseudonyms. I have read that Al Casey plays kazoo. Perhaps "Duane Goldfarb - King of the Pluckers" might be Duane Eddy. The liner notes are reproduced below for your enlightenment:

Side One:
01 Summerwine
02 These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
03 Friday's Child
04 Sugartown
05 Shades
Side Two:
06 So Long Babe
07 How Does That Grab You Darlin'
08 In Our Time
09 Not The Lovin' Kind
10 Leave My Dog Alone
11 Houston

Featuring
Lester Lanolin______“And his Pennsyldelphinians”
Pauline Pure_______“Defender of Good, Beater of Drums”
Duane Goldfarb_____”King of the Pluckers”
Ho-Ho-Ho Chi Minh__“Second Abacus Player”
Minny Tonka_______“Guess Which Hand Has the Dandruff Cure”
Sam Ponderosa_____“And His Magic Comb”
Miss Kitty_________“And her Stick Shift Auto Harp”

“My fellow 98* Per Centers:
Music are good. Music are good for you. You should eat at least three songs a day. In a recent government survey we discovered nothing. Chivas drinkers arise... you have nothing to lose but your equilibrium. ‘54-40 or fight’ means as much today as it will next week. Albums is good. Albums is good for you. You should eat at least three albums a day. This album you could eat six... it couldn’t hurt you.”
Lee Hazlewood

*98%... Because nobody is pure, darlin’! "
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

and finally, everything you need to know is here:

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/wilkens/Lh06.html

(my "work" is done)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

speaking of rowland s. howard, his version of some velvet morning with lydia lunch was the only one i knew until a few years ago.
lee hazelwood is the genius behind that song?
one of you put him on your comp but it was in a different vein as that.
i had heard of him before, but not with such affection as on this board- does that make sense, i'm tired-.
anyway, looking forward to listening to some of that stuff, thank you.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

gimperella wrote:Cheers Starfish...

apologies for asking a potentially daft question - are these a selection of albums / tracks produced by Lee Hazelwood?
no, it's all him singing (with the occasional duet)
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Lee has a TON of records, some are extreemly rare. "40" easily brings $60-$70 on ebay and is wonderful. I believe the song "Mary" is on that! Its a gem!

The album that is easiest to find are Requim for an almost Lady, and Trouble is a Lonesome town. Both are A list! Lee was one of the first artists/producers to exploit reverb in the recordings.

Yeah, Velvet Morning has been covered Slowdive. I think the Lee influence on them guided them through to the fist Mojave3 and still carries. There is a song on Pygmalion, I think its the opener, that nicks the main reverberated guitar from Lee's Come on Home to Me (a track off Requim)

String arrangements are some of the best out there. I'd accuse Jason of being coy when he didn't mention Lee at the top of his list of influences for Let it Come down. Lee is what Jason was trying to do with that record. "Sand" is also a Spiritualized template.

I'll throw one more at you.. There's a bonus track on the CD version of Cowboy and the Lady with Anne Margrett. Its called "You Turn My Head Around". Fucking hell!!! I'm not crazy about the rest of the record but this song is amazing! See if the song is downloadable and listen to it right now!

But, I'd have to say me favorite song of his is "Your sweet Love (will see me thru)". This one's on the Very Special World of Lee. Again, string arrangements for Jason to dream on. Also on that record is "My baby cries all night long". It reminds me of "Come Down Easy" in Vegas (if that makes anysense?)

So yeah, look for this stuff. The tracks I mention will hit you over your head, some of the others may take some listening but I think the world of todays music will make more sense when you've heard Lee.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Lee's record " A Cowboy in Sweden" is also a must have. I liked the duo of him and Ann Margret. That record is pretty fun. His monolouge of " look at her there with chili all over her dress, if I knew her any better, I'd giver her a puppy" priceless.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

I love Cowboy In Sweden. Pray Them Bars Away, Hey Cowboy and No Train To Stockholm are all brillant. Has anyone ever seen the film?
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i've seen the films ... they're bizarre, more social artefacts than movies or specials. the highlight is the presence of donnie owens, seeing him play guitar. also, the late sixties early seventies fad of wearing warm, bright jumpers with slack golden chains.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Class act
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Damn ... I just listened to "Forty" all the way through. What a fantastic album. Naturally, an online search for a vinyl copy proved useless. However, there are others that are more readily available.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

really looking forward to hearing those albums but rapidshare never works for me :(

any chance of megauploading them?
or does it take ages?

would be muchly appreciated if it's not a massive hassle

:D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here is my vinyl rip of "13." I highly recommend this one:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/57wcz8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone willing to post any of the following for download:

Trouble In A Lonesome Town
Cowboy In Sweden
Lee & Nancy
Requiem For An Almost Lady
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

dammit dammit dammit.

sendspace says i've reached my download limit already too..
bloody ntl.

if people could use megaupload for this sort of thing it would be infinitely preferable..

argggggh!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Alright, Moop, hang on. I'm upping 13 via megaupload right now.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

moop
Known user

Post by moop »

many cheers!

just out of interest, is there any reason people use sendspace/rapidshare over megaupload?

anyway.. thanks again. been looking forward to checking out some of this stuff..
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like sendspace the best, mostly because the design of the site is easy to follow, as opposed to megaupload, which is just jam-packed full of confusing and distracting crap everywhere you look.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just found the following:

Cowboy In Sweden: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bzb6z3

Nancy Sinatra: Boots

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r06j74
96tears
Known user

Post by 96tears »

Lee also ran his own record company LHI in the mid 60's and put out some decent garage bands on it.

- Everything but (by) The Kitchen Cinq is one of my favourites - supervised by Lee. This album stands out for having a song with 3 x 12 second stops in it. ...and a great version of Codeine.

and Arkansas Coal (suite) is maybe his best work with nancy?
Going, Going, Going, Going GONE -

....she ain't hard to recognize $ signs are in her eyes....
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

and Arkansas Coal (suite) is maybe his best work with nancy?
there's a few off the same record that are right up there; down from dover and big red balloon notably, but the whole lp's brilliant. it is thoroughly worth buying.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

... and the closing Got It Together Again is really sweet. It really captures the chemistry between them.

St Etienne did a nice cover of it on the tribute album.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I'm not on some kind of Hazlewood crusade here, but I just found this on Tinternet and wanted to share....

It's a Lee project called the Shacklefords. Sweet friendly country. Here's the notes from the blog from whence it came....

from the Realm of X blog:

Produced by Lee Hazlewood & Marty Cooper, and named after Naomi Shackleford - Lee Hazlewood's first wife and high school sweetheart. Lee wrote much of the material on this record, the first of two Shacklefords albums and his sonorous voice can be heard singing backup vocals on most tracks and in the foreground on a couple. The band also released a number of singles, their first being A stranger In Your Town (track 6).
If the liner notes are to be trusted, Lee Hazlewood was breaking new ground here in defining the crossover genre of Country Folk:

"The Shacklefords have come up with just about the doggonedest sound you've ever heard. And I'm surprised that no one thought of it before, because the idea of combining two of America's distinct native musical heritages—folk music and country music—is a natural.
After all, the roots are basically the same—southern and southwest in origin— and the blend of the two is like putting together steak and potatoes."
— Jack Tracy, Mercury Recording Director

Richie Unterberger from All Music Guide, is not so kind:
"An interesting combination of folk and country music presented in an honest, warm and appealing manner" boasts the banner on the back sleeve... To "honest, warm and appealing" they could have added "bland." That's even though most of the songs were written, together or separately, by Lee Hazlewood and his sometime cohort Marty Cooper. And, yes, even though ace session men like James Burton, Hal Blaine, Billy Strange, and Al Casey play on the album. It's wholesome, pretty sterile whitebread folk-country, in the manner of many early-1960s folk LPs that were trying to be variety-show entertainment more than they were a vehicle for personal expression, or steeped in authentic folk music. Just one song, "Our Little Boy Blue," has the sort of eccentricity typical of much of Hazlewood's stranger work, with his dust-dry narration of a lyric impossible to pigeonhole as either cornball or put-on satire. Hazlewood's unmistakably deep, debauched-Johnny Cash-style vocals are heard from time to time (usually in the background), but only Hazlewood fanatics will want this in their collection."

Well, Ritchie, I must be one of those fanatics!
After repeated listenings in the process of cleaning up this rip I'm hooked on this sound - there's an optimism and vitality there that keeps me humming... clearly it never claimed to be "authentic" but if you like the sound of Country before it disappeared up it's own fundamental orifice in the latter decades of the twentieth century, give it a listen... To me this is catchy country pop at it's simplistic and sentimental best!

download it (in super Mono!) here

http://rapidshare.de/files/30574110/rea ... efords.zip

scans & full album text included in archive
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

nice one starfish, all safely on th' i pod
Chris Barrus
Known user

Honey Ltd.

Post by Chris Barrus »

Also be on the lookout for Honey Ltd. Lee produced their album for LHI.

Full story here: http://www.spectropop.com/Honey/index.htm
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

sad news from the Observer Music Magazine yesterday. they had an interview with him, apparently he's dying of cancer. Last lp out on 4th dec
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

No way!! How do you reply to something like that!

Just say thanks to Lee for the music and hang in there I guess?
Love to him and his family
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

The Observer interview with Richard Hawley is at http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/sto ... 05,00.html