highest gig in the world

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

helm
Known user

highest gig in the world

Post by helm »

could someone clear this up for me. didn't spiritualized do the highest gig in the world at the CN tower in Toronto back in 1997 or 1998? i ask this because whilst swanning around Canada i did the tourist thing and go up the CN tower, but no mention of spiritualized's great feat. i even asked one of the tour guides. she said she hadn't heard of the highest gig having happened there, but did inform me that there used to be a disco up there called spangles, or something like that.

anyone able to clear this one up for me? thanks.
MODLAB
Site Admin

highest gig!

Post by MODLAB »

ok. yes it was the highest gig in the world in a free standing stucture.
elvis costello has the record for the highest gig ever. that was in a plane.
then there was some brit band whom i have no clue the name played on everest. so it dpends in which way you look at it.

spiritualized:

The highest recorded gig was played by UK space rockers Spiritualized. On November 26th 1997, they performed live in the restaurant at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada. At 553.34 metres high, the building is the world’s tallest free-standing tower.

this is that band on everest...

The artists, from five separate bands, said they performed at 5,545m at Kalar Pattar last month.

The 40-minute concert, in front of about 100 mountaineers, was to raise money for children victimised by armed conflict in Nepal.

Musician Oz Bayldon of The Hidden said it was a wonderful experience.

The Everest gig was organised by British charity The Nepal Balabalika Trust (Trust for Nepalese Children).

The musicians who played also included Martin Harley of The Martin Harley Band, and solo artists Ben Michaels, Michael 'Skyhook', Billy Page, Mike McGuiness and Nick Storey, said trust member Jason Merry.
Design.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

The Spiritualized gig at the CN Tower is quite possibly one of my favorite performances by them.
It's one disk I always find myself going back to.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

what was the set-list for that gig? I bet it was an incredible experience. Anyone on here go?
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

^I was lucky enough to be there. It was truly awesome since, as you can imagine, the restaurant isn't very big. I recall there being a few people filming the show but I've never seen a tape of it. Here's the setlist:

01. Oh Happy Day
02. Shine A Light
03. Electric Mainline
04. Electricity
05. No God Only Religion
06. Broken Heart
07. Come Together
08. I Think I'm In Love
09. Cop Shoot Cop...

And here's the great resource I got it from:

http://www.geocities.com/jtournet44/Music.html

I have an incomplete recording of it made by someone else I knew that was there. If anyone has the whole thing, I'd love to trade/B & P for it...

Peace.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

So- the inevitable question- does anyone have this for trade? I've heard the version of Shine A Light is insane.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Does anybody know if they did the gig with the Northern lights as the backround? around this time 97/98? possibly in europe somewhere? although I think what modlab posted clearly beats it if they did. mount everest?
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

angelsighs wrote:So- the inevitable question- does anyone have this for trade? I've heard the version of Shine A Light is insane.
yes i have it, i beleive, i'm literally typing with one hand and searching through the holder for it.hang on........yes i have it.

drop me a line and we can work it out.

porkchops, it never happened, unfortuantely, i always thought that would be the best way to see spiritualized. while i'm at it, it would have been great for sigur ros to open up as well.

has anybody hear seen the northern lights???

the drummer in our band is from alaska and he has promised to take us soon.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I have the complete recording which sounds absolutely fantastic.
For a long time I was convinced in was a SBD, but someone I traded with says otherwise (it still sounds great).
This performance holds my favorite live version of Shine a Light.
Jason absolutely rips it apart around the 5:07 mark.
Really takes it to another level.

I offered this once on here.
I think to the 1st 5 people who responded.
2 out of the 5 people actually followed through, and even those 2 peoples names I did not recognize and they had less than 10 posts.
I chalked up my offer as a waste.

I do believe that every Spiritualized fan needs to own this show.
I truly believe that 1997 and 1998 were some of Spiritualized peak performances.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

angelsighs wrote: I've heard the version of Shine A Light is insane.

That's true, it is and you can hear it here if you like.

It is a cool show.
a beautiful noise
Known user

The Jig wrote:
angelsighs wrote: I've heard the version of Shine A Light is insane.

That's true, it is and you can hear it here if you like.

It is a cool show.
not sure who sent me the disc, but all this talk is getting me hot and boterhed.

so i popped it on.

if only for shine a light.

thanks.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I'd love to hear the Toronto gig.

If anyone has it and fancies doing a trade, PM me. I've got some goodies for you.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

a beautiful noise wrote:
has anybody hear seen the northern lights???
Yes - where I was born it was easy to see in the dead of winter - way up north. The cold weather brought them out best of all.

Awesome, powerful psychedelic spectacle - photos can't really do it justice. Amazing. The whole night sky lit up in shimmering colour...

Regarding the proposed Arctic Circle gig - I'm sure the idea was to have the band playing at the very point that [due to the tilt on the Earth's axis] was the highest, elevated point on Earth for that hour...

Great concept! I would suggest that the one of the reasons it didn't happen was because it would be hard to play 'Shine A Light' with gloves on...

On a [very] vaguely related note - anyone who reads transport bible The Metro may today have spotted an awesome picture of Earth taken by a satellite orbiting Saturn 1.5 billion kilometres away...

Bit of perspective is good for us I think!

And also - I would love to hear that mentioned gig in full some day so anyone - let me know!

I'll look after you... :D
a beautiful noise
Known user

allright, whoever wants a copy of the highest show on earth let me know. i just finished listening to it. even had a co-worker interested in it.

so yeah, it's yours, or if you want a "i can get you into heaven" cd let me know, it's a compilation i made of spirituals.

m
e
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

That 20+ minute version of Cop Shoot Cop is the best i've heard.
Wah - Wah
Known user

Post by Wah - Wah »

to : a beautiful noise :

I`d love to own a copy of that show...
shall we e-mail for more info ?

kind regards

Marc ( spaceman75@gmx.net )
a beautiful noise
Known user

yeah yeah we can work it out, PM with your details, i'm goona try and get a fe wpeople in the u.k. to dispense some for me.

i'll let you know.

gotta go, nurising a wicked hang-over, way way too much red wine last nite/this mornig.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

this still doesn't explain why the gig isn't, in some way, mentioned at the CN tower. they have a big list of 'world records' mainly things like the stunt man who fell down the most steps etc...

it looks like a pretty similar setlist to most of the bootlegs i've got from that time, but i'll try and track it down when i get home to the UK
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

LunarTunes wrote:I was lucky enough to be there.
I was there as well.

LT, how did you manage getting in?

I won tickets from CFNY (Dave Bookman's show) the night before. I couldn't believe my luck! As I recall, I took the elevator up to the show with Jay from Sloan. :lol:

I was standing right in front of Ray's Sax... A truly incredible experience which I will never forget! Sadly my photos didn't turn out for some reason... Still have the laminate somewhere though.
a beautiful noise
Known user

alright, thats all i can afford,

if anybody else wants any, try hitting up the folks that should be getting one,they are:

warmgun
fuzzhead
BzaInSpace (is that anything like pigs in space? cuz i loved that)
porkchop
angelsighs
ghettodefendant
chapter 2
wah-wah

and i know one of these kind souls will help me disperse a few of them through the UK. right?

thanks

m
e
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

a beautiful noise wrote:and i know one of these kind souls will help me disperse a few of them through the UK. right?
Absolutely.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Chapter Two wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:and i know one of these kind souls will help me disperse a few of them through the UK. right?
Absolutely.
here's a list of my SPZ audio recordings:

29-Mar-1995 VK, Brussels AUD FLAC 409 76 from DAT master
7-Oct-1995 Opera House, Toronto, Canada AUD CDR 700
26-Jul-1997 Lollipop Festival, Stockholm, Sweden FM FLAC 483 from silver CD
5-Sep-1997 The Garage, Highbury, London, UK (XFM 104.9) FM FLAC 577 73 10
29-Oct-1997 Peel Session, Oxford Sound Studios, London, UK FM FLAC 325 from silver CD
8-Oct-2001 Colston Hall, Bristol, UK AUD FLAC 769 mini disc master
31-Oct-2001 The Metro, Chicago, IL AUD SHN 841 2 discs
4-Nov-2003 Gothic Theatre, Englewood, CO AUD FLAC 640 117 2 discs
6-Nov-2003 The Paradise, Boston, MA AUD FLAC 522 77
8-Nov-2003 KEXP Seattle, WA acoustic session FM FLAC 103 4 songs
1-Aug-2004 Royal Festival Hall, London, UK AUD FLAC 540 2 discs
XFM Session FM CDR 700 55 8 songs

those numbers are, in order: size in MB, minutes, quality (if given)
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I'm in. As soon as I get it in the post.
Samuel
Known user

Post by Samuel »

Hey, I've been looking to get into trading Spiritualized stuff for a while now but not sure how to get started. Is there anyone out there who would be cool enough to send me a live bootleg? I don't have anything for trade yet, apart from a couple of Dead Meadow shows, but I'd happily send a blank cd back, postage paid envelope, etc... I'm in the Uk by the way.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

warmgun. wrote:
LunarTunes wrote:I was lucky enough to be there.
I was there as well.

LT, how did you manage getting in?

I won tickets from CFNY (Dave Bookman's show) the night before. I couldn't believe my luck! As I recall, I took the elevator up to the show with Jay from Sloan. :lol:

I was standing right in front of Ray's Sax... A truly incredible experience which I will never forget! Sadly my photos didn't turn out for some reason... Still have the laminate somewhere though.
I got REAL lucky! A friend of mine won tix through CFNY which she gave to her boyfriend and another friend of ours. Amazingly, she won AGAIN from CFNY and gave those tix to me and my brother. And yes, it was an absolutely AMAZING experience. I was also probably standing right behind you or next to you since I was also in front of Ray!...

And speaking of elevators, after the gig ended my friends and I took the elevator up to the Space Deck with Jason and Sook-Yin Lee. While up there, Jason shared a bottle of wine with someone (his manager? I dunno...). But the best part was that one of my friends happened to have a little something extra with him that we shared up on the Deck looking out over Toronto with Ray and Damon -- a perfect ending to a fantastic evening with Spiritualized! :D ...

Peace.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

hey samuel,
check your PMs.
a beautiful noise
Known user

thanks, i'll get them burned this weekend and sent soon.

again, thanks for helping me send a few of them out. anybody who is sending something in return need not worry about it.

p/s- if i've sent you an email and not heard back from you, i won't send it out until i do!!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i'm in the USA, i can send a few out over here, if someone from the UK wants to shoot one my way.
will this do?
Known user

Deepest Gig...

Post by will this do? »

Katie Melua To Set Guinness World Record For Deepest Underwater Concert

"On 2nd October Katie Melua will set a Guinness World Record for the deepest underwater concert when she performs a concert at the bottom of the North Sea.

The concert will be held at the bottom of one of the four shafts of the Statoil Troll A Platform gas rig. The Troll platform is 472 m high (higher than the Eiffel Tower and the tallest structure ever moved by humans), of which 369 meters lie below sea surface. The Troll field ranks as Europe`s largest offshore gas field in production.

Director of Production at Troll, Geir Amland, Statoil celebrates our 10 year anniversary in 2006 and we are thrilled that Katie Melua will be performing a concert to celebrate our anniversary. It will be certainly an occasion to remember.

In addition to the gas rig staff, the audience will include Craig Glenday, Editor-in Chief of Guinness World Records, who will adjudicate and verify the validity of the record - certain criteria will be in place, including that Katie must perform a > "> traditional concert performance of vocals and instrument to an audience" . This was already the case, as Katie will have her band with her to play the concert, at the invitation of the crew of the platform before the Guinness Book Of Records became interested.

All visitors to the platform, including Katie, the band, crew and Craig Glenday have undergone medical examinations and will all undertake strict and extensive emergency training prior to the helicopter flight to the platform."
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

"katie melua to break record for stupidest record ever broken"

i'm sure there's enough semantic juice left in there to make a joke about breaking katie melua's records, too.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Deathklok recorded their last record in the most metal environment yet. at the bottom of the ocean. check adult swim for details. :wink:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I am really,really interested in hearing the CN Tower gig if any of the people who are sending out copies are listening.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

i've got a copy somewhere Ads, I do you one
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

DOH! I go away for a week and then all this happens. Hopefully ghetto defendent will be sorting me out.

Random idea- how about a thread dedicated to trading boots?