33 1/3

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

anorthernsoul
Known user

33 1/3

Post by anorthernsoul »

there's an update to the 33 1/3 blog announcing a forthcoming book with a chapter on ladies and gentlemen by daphne carr. there's another blog here, and info about daphne here and here. the same book has essays about some other grrrreat lps.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Nice one, hopefully pick up a few more facts to disect on here.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Tops!

Those books are usually really, really good reads. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn one was especially good, so hopefully she does the album justice.

It'd be nice if it was one of the individual 33/3 books rather than part of an anthology, though...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

that would be nice.
the loveless one should be out soonish though (apparently november in the uk). so there's something.
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

I've never heard of these. What's the crack?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Chapter Two wrote:What's the crack?
You're never done banging on about drugs.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

daphne and celeste?
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

ash wrote:Tops!

Those books are usually really, really good reads. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn one was especially good, so hopefully she does the album justice.

It'd be nice if it was one of the individual 33/3 books rather than part of an anthology, though...
They sound great, I only found out about them recently...haven't read one yet.

just had a look, they've got one on Neutral Milk Hotel, and Piper At The Gates Of Dawn! Has anybody read the Prince one? They all have good reviews apart from that, just one and a half stars :?

Good to see an essay on John Martyn too...
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i got the exile on main st. one from the library a while ago, and sort of lost interest half way through. it's an expanded version of the ... mojo? article from a few years ago, with no additional details, just very descriptive rundowns of the songs. i think i'd be kind of wary of reading any others without band input ...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

that sounds a bit dodgy, How they going to fill out a whole book about LAGWFIS without any addition info? Im guess alot of hearsay about Kate and Ashcroft, drugs and how it was so well received? nless they actually KNOW anything 'inside' its a bit of a waste of time isnt it?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="anorthernsoul"]i got the exile on main st. one from the library a while ago, and sort of lost interest half way through.quote]

I have that one too(big suprise!). I love it the detail he goes into and I never saw the Mojo article. If you love that record its a worthwhile read. I also have The Band Music From Big Pink and it is written in a "Novella" style. And imho unreadable. they are inexpensive and toally worthwhile if one of your fave records gets a release.
Looking forward to MBV Loveless.
I didn't know they were doing compilations. I hope LAGWAFIS gets its own release. There is a lot to write about there.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

ahh .. the exile mojo article's worth tracking down: i think it's the issue that has george harrison on the cover, from just after he died. it's pretty much keith talking you through the lp - some of which will be familiar from the book - but there's some beautiful photographs, too. worth tracking down anyway.

the loveless one's going to be amazing ...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Beware of rock journalism :lol:

Sometimes I would rather not know anything about these tunes.

Take 'Exile on Main St.', I like the fact that I can't make out a lot of the vocals, you get your own lyrics there instead. Who knows what they are writing about either...you just feel it, you hear it.
All I need to know is that it sounds great, even though it sounds like it was recorded underwater!

Hey Duppy, which Prince album was it? Predictably its gonna be 'Sign o' the times' isn't it... :roll:

Is there a complete list of these books anywhere people? I've never heard of them...
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

BzaInSpace wrote:Beware of rock journalism :lol:

Sometimes I would rather not know anything about these tunes.

Hey Duppy, which Prince album was it? Predictably its gonna be 'Sign o' the times' isn't it... :roll:

Is there a complete list of these books anywhere people? I've never heard of them...

Yeah, 'Sign o' The Times' - measley amount of stars compared to the rest. Even Radiohead got TWO! If you go on that first link, then on the left, click on the Amazon.com list :wink:

Think I might get the Neutral Milk Hotel one...
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"