Sun Ra documentary

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Edukator
Known user

Sun Ra documentary

Post by Edukator »

Originals: Sun Ra

Fri 13 Oct, 11:35 pm - 12:35 am 60mins

BBC FOUR on BBC TWO. Brother from Another Planet: A look at the life and work of the extraordinary bandleader Sun Ra, one of the world's truly original musicians. Very strong language. [S]

Should be a good 'un. That Fall documentary was great.
Come on now people, come on and slide with me
assoc.
Known user

Post by assoc. »

I think this has been on before...if its the same one then its worth a look
squoggy
Known user

RE: Sun Ra

Post by squoggy »

There's definately similarities between Mark e Smith and Sun Ra now.

What would you recommend for the first Sun Ra CD to get.

For someone whos not jazz minded and not yet ready for them crazy mad sax solos I just seen on that programme.

I reckon I gotta check him out....
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i think lanquidity's one of my favourite records, without putting things in boxes like jazz and non jazz. there's a really great rarities collection sun ra picked of new york live stuff called 'out there a minute', with an insane version of somewhere in space. and there's a two-disc 'singles' of their earlier stuff, which i've only heard bits of, which sounds great and a lot further-in than their further-out stuff.
irockczar
New user

Post by irockczar »

Yet another reason why England is better than the U.S.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

and why saturn is better than the earth.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: RE: Sun Ra

Post by BzaInSpace »

[quote="squoggy"]

What would you recommend for the first Sun Ra CD to get.

[quote]

Probably the 'Space Is The Place' album on Impulse! - should also be easy to find. I think its a good intro as any. A bit far out but not to the extremes - and the vocals are good. [There is also a soundtrack album of the same name though but that might be a bit crazy if your just getting started].

'The Singles' collection is good too as you get the early cosmic doo-wop material on CD1 and edited versions of later electronically-enhanced space madness on CD2.

A 1962 album called 'Night Of the Purple Moon' is a personal suggestion as it features Sun-Ra, an upright piano and a very stripped down Arkestra playing mellow, mellow tunes. Great stuff!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i have these 2 MPEGs. crazy stuff!

Sun Ra on the show "Night Music" hosted by David Sanborn in 1990.

Night Music Band includes Marcus Miller, Hiram Bullock, Tom Barney, Omar Hakim, Philippe Saisse and Don Alias.

MPEG-2 NTSC

1. 14:08
2. 2:38
=========
TT=16:46
Bee Fart Spear It
New user

Sun Ra

Post by Bee Fart Spear It »

Check out:

Magic City

Nothing Is ...

Atlantis

Sun Ra was a hero AFAIC.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Probably the 'Space Is The Place' album on Impulse! - should also be easy to find. I think its a good intro as any. A bit far out but not to the extremes - and the vocals are good. [There is also a soundtrack album of the same name though but that might be a bit crazy if your just getting started].
I always thought that Roni Size must have been a big Sun Ra fan. One of his tunes bares an uncanny resemblance to Space is the place. I forget which one. But I think the whole Drum and bass sound, particulally Goldie's inner city life really has that stamp of Sun Ra about it. The building rythms, song structures and gospel esq sounding lyrics? Maybe its just me?

Nice story as well, when Peel died Giles Peterson did a little tribute to him on his show. Apparently John once came in and gave him a 7" of Dreamin' by Sun Ra as he thought he'd really like it. Such an ace tune.