Manchester last night

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Nasalhair
New user

Manchester last night

Post by Nasalhair »

What a lovely way to make my first post on the forum... last night's show at the Lowry in Salford was absolutely stunning. This was my first SPZ / Spaceman concert (been a fan since LAGWAFIS) and I was overwhelmed by it - even my missus, who isn't a fan, thought it was great.

Highlight of the show had to be "Anything More / Ladies and Gentlemen... / I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" which brought the proverbial butterflies to my stomach, made my hair stand up on the back of my neck, and had some members of the audience giving that one performance a standing ovation for itself. Absolutely stunning.

Only one negative thing to report and sadly that involves the audience. We were sitting towards the back of the stalls (row L) and throughout the show people were constantly getting up to go to the toilet or the bar, usually mid-song, and returning to their seats mid-song which was absolutely maddening and shattered the atmosphere created on the stage. Have these people no control of their bladders or need for alcohol? This was a seated concert in a theatre for God's sake - have some respect for those around you! (Rant ends).

So, audience apart, a wonderful experience for this fan, and thanks to Jason, Doggen, the choir and the string quartet (especially the gorgeous one on the left with the boots! Anyone got any pictures of her? Please? :D ) for a truly fantastic night. And if the mentions of a live album I've spotted in another thread are true, I can't wait to get it - or the new SPZ album itself for that matter.
mojo filters
Known user

Re: Manchester last night

Post by mojo filters »

Nasalhair wrote:So, audience apart, a wonderful experience for this fan, and thanks to Jason, Doggen, the choir and the string quartet (especially the gorgeous one on the left with the boots! Anyone got any pictures of her? Please? :D ) for a truly fantastic night. And if the mentions of a live album I've spotted in another thread are true, I can't wait to get it - or the new SPZ album itself for that matter.
I though both fiddler's were well fit, but 1st violin especially :D being a fiddle player myself I would very much like to perform Bach's Double with her!

Some folks at the Sage missed these pretty ladies as they were seated directly above the stage :(
Brain
New user

Post by Brain »

My first post too!

I was there and I completely agree with Nasalhair (including bladder control issues). A great night. Sorry no pictures of either fiddlers.

Also, did you happen to catch the support act? All I can say is "woah"...:shock:
Nasalhair
New user

Post by Nasalhair »

Hi Brain!

No, we didn't see the support act as we arrived at about 8.15 and they were already on. We saw them on the monitor in the bar and it appeared to be somebody playing bongos to us. Very odd.
Brain wrote:My first post too!

I was there and I completely agree with Nasalhair (including bladder control issues). A great night. Sorry no pictures of either fiddlers.

Also, did you happen to catch the support act? All I can say is "woah"...:shock:
stevelee
New user

salford last night

Post by stevelee »

Fiddlers! Violinits, surely........ they weren't Irish jigs they were playing!! :wink: Great show though, even though the seats next to the stage on the second balcony were a little..... er....... dubious. I think I've got deep vein thrombosis!
Does anyone know anything about the song, about midway through the set, that started with lyrics about 'black sky shot through with silver' and had a line about 'freedom is just a word for when no one cares anymore'????? It sounded fantastic.
Also........ was anyone else suprised (pleasently so!) by just how fantastic Jason's voice sounded? Everyone surely knows that Spaceman is the guy Richard Ashcroft wishes he was (but let's not mention ex-girlfriends etc., eh??)
dab66
New user

Post by dab66 »

Ha! The balcony seats were a bit dubious weren't they, started to get cramp half-way through. Could have been worse, could have been on one of the high-chairs....you'd have to be a skinny sod to get into one of them! Nice intimate venue though apart from the buttock-numbing seats.

Amazing show though, the best I've been to in a long time. The new material sounded great and Jasons voice was better than it's been in a long time. The highlight of course was L&G, I've never sobbed at a gig before but when the choir came in with 'wise men say' I was close to losing it. Beautiful. Spellbinding.

My only disappointment that this was the only show on the tour that I've been to. Some more dates in the new year please :D
bewildered
New user

Post by bewildered »

haha, I seem to be like a few above, first post so here goes.

Never been a huge spiritualized fan, thats always been the missus, but last night was the third time I'd been to see this leg-end last night after top gigs at York Fibbers and Leeds Met. What can I say, wow. I have friends that think they are the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to playing a guitar, but if they had one ounce of the talent this man has, they'd be a whole lot better than they are.

To steal a quote I read here yesterday, I walked away (or should I say ran for the tram) with a warm fuzzy feeling inside, the feeling you get when you have witnessed something special.

As for the support, mr Lupen Crook. Great tunes, just not too sure of the lyrical subject matter. Not the biggest fan of the song where he describes how he'd like to rape his girlfriend while she is asleep, but each to their own :?

Anyways other noteable points that have to be raised considering comments made before mine. Yes indeed the violinist on the far left was a dink (hotty). We were in seat =s 1 and 2 on row D and I had a right view, well hello :lol: As for the shirkers who kept getting up, we had two lasses sat next to us, and all they friggin did was go to the pot for a piss. Christ I was busting for a wizz half way through, but you gotta hold it together.
Anyways top night had, and what a venue. I wish Leeds had something similar!!!
Nasalhair
New user

Post by Nasalhair »

bewildered wrote: Anyways top night had, and what a venue. I wish Leeds had something similar!!!
Interesting you say this - that particular theatre in the Lowry was designed to be like the Leeds City Varieties Theatre (where the old TV series "The Good Old Days" was filmed... showing my age now.)
rocknroll
New user

Post by rocknroll »

First of all, i'd like to say thanks to anthony williams for sorting me a ticket (at just over face value too!). Also himself, audrey and gareth, for being such great company and making me feel welcome, as i was on my lonesome.
From one truly genuine fan to another, it will be forever appreciated.
Sod the touts! :x

I agree with the above posts about the gig being incredible and the toilet runners etc...

Highlights for me were 'cool waves' 'so hot/all my tears' 'stop your crying' 'going down slow' 'the straight & narrow' 'lay it down slow' and of course the 'anything more/ladies & gents medley'.
I had weird, holy goose pimply sensations, all through that!

Wasn't that impressed by what sounded like the new material, as the lyrics seemed a bit spaceman cliche-ish. This was bar one track, which i hope is a new spiritualized recording and not a cover, which was the one about 'true love will find you in the end'. That was lovely!

PS also the short sweet version of 'hold on' deserves a mention too!
oh and of course 'walking with jesus' and 'lord can you hear me'

roll on the live album/DVD.
Mark of Sale
New user

Post by Mark of Sale »

I have been into Spirtualized since the debut came out but never managed to get to a gig - last night at the Lowry was my first time and I was blown away. I have heard of people coming out from Flaming Lips gigs saying it was some kind of spiritual experience and I guess I understand what they are saying after last nights performance - hard to describe the feelings when the performance was on.

One point to mention - me and the wife had tickets for Tier 1, A1 and A2. Got to the seat and was impressed with the view - like a royal box. What no one tells you is that there is a speaker about 10cm from your ear, on the same level and pointing directly at you. After Lupen Crook me and the wife felt like our ears were bleeding - this was supposed to be an acoustic concert and I definately did not want to pay £30 to become deaf. I have been going to concerts for about 20 years so nobody can say that this is what going to a gig is like - the Chemical Brothers did not have the same effect on me.

The staff were really helpful, especially the bloke doing the ushering on our level, and luckily two seats were not taken further away from the stage so we used these. If this was not the case I told my wife we would have to go home as the noise was unbearable.

Minor rant over, just beware if anyone has these seats for another gig at the Quay theatre.

I am currently moving house so all my Spiritualized CD's are packed away - gutted as I want to play them all now.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

Wasn't that impressed by what sounded like the new material, as the lyrics seemed a bit spaceman cliche-ish. This was bar one track, which i hope is a new spiritualized recording and not a cover, which was the one about 'true love will find you in the end'. That was lovely!
that's a daniel johnston song, true love will find you in the end, from his record 1990, which is great. i'm with you about the new material. mmm.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I really enjoyed it. I was slightly surprised at just how good it was - people I was with even shed a tear during 'True Love...' 'Hold On'..

The performers were fantastic and Jason's voice was superb throughout. I just feel lucky that I got to witness one of these shows as I'm sure they'll be part of a one-off series.

I was in the back row so my bladder issues didn't affect anyone. Compared to the wankers who populated BJM the night before the audience for Jason was impeccably behaved!

And hats off to veiko, The Jig and Ads - a pleasure to meet and shake your hands guys...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

anorthernsoul wrote:
'true love will find you in the end'. That was lovely!
that's a daniel johnston song, true love will find you in the end, from his record 1990, which is great.
Certain sense of irony in that both Pete and Jason have covered this song... And in classic fashion Pete did it first.
marg
New user

Post by marg »

That was one of the most moving gigs I've been to. The man has such a huge and beautiful soul it's almost too much to take in. Just stunning.

Those backing vocals and the string section and those lovely creamy chocolatey sounding keys were perfect. I kept welling up big time.

Nice theatre - couldn't believe how small and intimate a gig it was as I thought it was going to be in the big theatre. I was right next to the speaker too but fortunately the other seats in the box which were slightly further away were not taken so I sat in those and had a great view and the sound was not too overwhelming. Can't complain about any of it as I thought I wasn't going to get there but tickets came up at the last minute.

Just brilliant. Thanks so much!

x
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

A truly superb evening, always a little wary when something is hyped up as much as these shows have been but I have to say it ticked all the boxes. His voice was excellent as were the rest of the band the venue was amazing and the crowd were so quiet. As Runcible pointed out this will surely not be repeated so if you get the chance I urge you to catch one of these shows. A DVD/CD release is a must.
'Remember, change is not good'
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:
anorthernsoul wrote:
'true love will find you in the end'. That was lovely!
that's a daniel johnston song, true love will find you in the end, from his record 1990, which is great.
Certain sense of irony in that both Pete and Jason have covered this song... And in classic fashion Pete did it first.
You got there 1st but I agree - whilst the whole Acoustic Mainlines experience was probably the best gigs I ever went to, I think Pete really nailed that song from the What Came Before After era Spectrum cover, and Jason's acoustic interpretation wasn't that different, compared to Daniel Johnston's amataurish recordings.

As per above - we really need a commercial release of this either on DVD (preferably with DTS as well a DD if possible!) or CD....please let us know soon!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This must be some monumental payback for all those Spiritualized tours in the US in the mid 90s in a row w/none in the UK.
The jealousy I am dealing with is horrible.
Glad you guys are getting to see these shows though. And the reviews....Wow!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spzretent wrote:This must be some monumental payback for all those Spiritualized tours in the US in the mid 90s in a row w/none in the UK.
The jealousy I am dealing with is horrible.
Glad you guys are getting to see these shows though. And the reviews....Wow!
I'm sure they'll be some decent recording surfaces in one form or another after the tour, but realiable authorities have it that at least one gig was properly done w/pro multitrack so we just have to live in hope!

Yeah I noticed that Spz gigs in mid 90's from the FUI recording up to the Ladies & Gentlemen... UK tour seemed vey US-centric. Weird especially since in SM3 days they had loads of visa hassle, and my minor currrrent record has aleady caused irssues...gotta go, dodgey 'r' keyr again!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:And hats off to veiko, The Jig and Ads - a pleasure to meet and shake your hands guys...
Likewise Runci, always good to put a face to the name.

Fantastic gig, even better than when I saw them here in Brighton on the first stage of this accoustic tour. However, although Veiko begs to differ, I think this gig was actually bettered by the monumental final leg in Edinburgh on Saturday (more of that in the Edinburgh gig thread later).
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote:
And hats off to veiko, The Jig and Ads - a pleasure to meet and shake your hands guys...

Great gig this was. I said to the people i went with that it was this gig where the strings really got in my head. Don't know if it was because of where i was sat or not but they really got into my head that night and in such a beautiful way too. To have my head filled with that sound was so nice.

Runcible....Yes it was also a pleasure to have met you, shake your hand and have a chat with you. 8)
yousef
New user

Post by yousef »

I made a rather nice recording of this gig and would like to share it with you good people.

Unfortunately, a monthly cap on my uploads means that I can't really torrent it... would anyone be willing to take delivery of a physical copy and then torrent it/share it in some other way in a lossless form?

PM me if so.

Cheers,

Yousef