New Spiritualized® Album Info...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

New Spiritualized® Album Info...

Post by BzaInSpace »

...in this months musical snooze-fest Mojo. :wink:

Looks like the album is expected mid-2007, and also some other bits of info include...

* no Dirtbombs, but Sugababes are doing backing vocals on "at least three songs".

* Chris Martin contributes some 'skunk' g uitar solos to one song.

* Some songs were co-written with The Kooks' Luke Pritchard, another was helped with that girl out of 4-Non Blondes. And Guy Chambers.

* J says "it's the best album we've ever done".

* 'Songs of praise' ?

The rest of the mag? Priceless. There is a big article on how depressing Joy Division were, and...that's all I can remember.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

* J says "it's the best album we've ever done".
he doesn't really tend to say that, i remember him being quite taken aback in an interview when the interviewer quoted him as saying so. i think he called amazing grace the best recorded lp, which is pretty contentious.

i saw mojo in the shops today. which elliott smith song's on the cd? mojo used to be quite reputable, i read the first issue a while ago, it was good, kind of geared towards boring blues (i'm going to say it: john lee hooker. there.) fans, but still.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

BzaInSpace wrote: another was helped with that girl out of 4-Non Blondes.
I hope this is a typo and really should be 3 non-blondes!!
They sing better and write better songs than the "4".. at least the stuff I´ve heard.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Well the quote actually says its "...the best thing we've recorded" so thats close enough.

Oh yeah, it also says the album the reformed Stooges have recorded with professional grump Steve Albini is due out soon.... :D

And you think JL Hooker is boring? Bonkers.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Is this a joke?

Spiritualized with a co-writer and who are these people? Never heard of one of them.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Elliott Smith is on the cd? That's cool. He was also on a Jon Spencer Blues Explosion album, and I was like, "???". I'm a big Elliott Smith fan.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

yeh ... i think the jon spencer thing (wasn't it on the kimbrough tribute, or something?) was one of the last things he recorded that was released, wasn't it? there's a march release pencilled in, i think, hopefully for some of the basement demos that are floating around, otherwise for something less exciting. i love elliott smith.

i'm not really that anti-JLH, i just can't get as worked up about him as i can many others. pointers appreciated!, though, particularly those off the beaten track of the best-of stuff. there are little bits i like a lot.

was there anything else in mojo about the spiritualized record, bza?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

oh god, another joy division spread. just what i needed.

joy division blow. new order are even worse.

still, some good stuff in there - maiden, van halen and john cale.
and jason of course.

they should had another dylan issue.

and the elliott number is twilight off basement. i heard what was and wasn't on the forthcoming set, but i forget now. i'll jog my memory and report back.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jack white wrote:oh god, another joy division spread. just what i needed.

oh happy day! :D i'm gonn a pick up a copy later, i love JD!!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
dpspac3@yahoo.com
New user

Post by dpspac3@yahoo.com »

whats this Dirtbombs - Spiritualized connection, anyway? Jack White makes Jason look like such a wimp, too.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i haven't listened to joy division for a couple of years, their first record's great though, so's some of the second; decades, isolation, something else i've forgotten. just put 'disorder' off unknown pleasures on, it's amazing, it's so exciting.
and the elliott number is twilight off basement. i heard what was and wasn't on the forthcoming set, but i forget now. i'll jog my memory and report back.
do! i didn't think it'd been confirmed, i thought people were still speculating. i hope it's basement stuff, although that maybe seems a little unlikely; high times, georgia, true love etc are some of the best songs he wrote, i think.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:
joy division blow. new order are even worse. :shock:

still, some good stuff in there - maiden, van halen and john cale. :cry:
did i just read this correctly?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dpspac3@yahoo.com wrote: Jack White makes Jason look like such a wimp, too.
Why? Because he beats up people in other bands?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spzretent wrote:
jack white wrote:

yes, yes you did.
a van halen reunion (with diamond dave, obviously) is on the cards for this year, and i am on the edge of my seat awaiting european dates. those first four van halen records are probably second only to the kiss canon in terms of a flawless run of albums in american hard rock. while they didnt perhaps scale the heights of rocks, toys in the attic or appetite, they had a consistancy neither guns nor aerosmith could match.
(of course it's debatably whether guns should be included in that group, firstly because they're just so great that they dont compare to anyone and secondly because it took axl that long in getting records out even when he did release them).
anyway, the point is, van halen - the original van halen - rock.

about the elliott smith record, some bad news - it's a krs release, meaning no basement stuff. saying that, a couple of tracks that have surfaced recently that have been lumped in with the basement demos will be on there - talking to mary most notably.
other tracks for inclusion include "seen my city dead" and "going nowhere". possibly versions of "see you later" and "not half right" are also possible.
last heard it was scheduled for april.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:
spzretent wrote:
jack white wrote:

yes, yes you did.
a van halen reunion (with diamond dave, obviously) is on the cards for this year, and i am on the edge of my seat awaiting european dates. those first four van halen records are probably second only to the kiss canon in terms of a flawless run of albums in american hard rock.
anyway, the point is, van halen - the original van halen - rock.
Whatever floats your boat. After all its your opinion. I was never much into the American Hard Rock scene circa late 70's(I was in high school at the time and wanted nothing to do with it) to I guess present. I could never get past the ridiculous hairspray and cartoonish aspect. That just put me off. The music may have been good but the whole package seemed like a joke.

So I now see where you may say Joy Division blew. And New Order are worse.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'm listening to unknown pleasures :D

what a masterpiece
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

it's a krs release, meaning no basement stuff ... not half right
bummer. but, versions of not half right! touchdown. i first heard that song on one of the henry fonda boots, i think, never really having heard any heatmiser. it's great.

it would be nice to think label stuff would just evaporate after people die, but i guess it just intensifies. it's obscene that the basement demos aren't available, but then compiling them would pretty much have to be done independent of what elliott wanted/planned. have you heard all the stuff about how badly the basement record was compiled? with the short track elliott had no involvement in, made without the engineer's notes, elliott's tracklisting etc ... goddamnit.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

anorthernsoul wrote:
bummer. but, versions of not half right! touchdown. i first heard that song on one of the henry fonda boots, i think, never really having heard any heatmiser. it's great.

it would be nice to think label stuff would just evaporate after people die, but i guess it just intensifies. it's obscene that the basement demos aren't available, but then compiling them would pretty much have to be done independent of what elliott wanted/planned. have you heard all the stuff about how badly the basement record was compiled? with the short track elliott had no involvement in, made without the engineer's notes, elliott's tracklisting etc ... goddamnit.
don't worry just yet. johhny cash, joy division amungst many others have had 'lost' recordings release after the demise of the group/artist. so maybe down the line...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spzretent wrote: I was never much into the American Hard Rock scene circa late 70's(I was in high school at the time and wanted nothing to do with it)
on man. thats my idea of heaven! :D

theres an old gnr interview where slash was talking about being in high school and the playground was split between people who thought kiss were the best band in the world and the people who thought it was aerosmith.
that is a paradise!
anorthernsoul wrote:

i've never really bothered with the controversies surrounding the basement tracklisting/production. strange as it may sound (though in light of my admissions in this thread, it probably makes sense), basement is my most listened too elliott record.
and thats not born out of some morbid fascination, i just dig the sound and the consistancy of the tunes - it's not soiled by the likes of baby britain or what not, while still having that raw electric sound that im a sucker for.

the basement demo's that are online i never really bothered with (save the aforementioned 'talking to mary', which isnt even a basement demo). i dunno why, but i do agree that if they were packaged properly they'd be an attractive prospect no doubt.
i just think dreamworks have always handled elliott's output poorly. maybe they didnt have the funds to push him, and he most certainly wouldnt have wanted it too much, but they certainly could have tried a bit harder. and still could. there's no real reason, perhaps except for his families wishes, for the stuff to remain unreleased - particularly as a lot of the basement stuff has been online for quite some time.
put it in a box with some nice liner notes (he had a lot of high faluting friends who'd be able to conjure up some nicities) and lay it all to rest.

pardon the pun.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

hm. there's a pretty interesting wikipaedia* article about the compilation of basement here. i'm not very keen on the sound of most of elliott's records; i think the first two are perfect, but all his beatles-y tendencies put me off the sound of the later records slightly. the songs are amazing though. the henry fonda versions of fond farewell and kings crossing (that one particularly) are ... rr, just the best things he's done, almost.

i like baby britain, though. and i like bled white.
the basement demo's that are online i never really bothered with
you really should. there are probably some better suited to your grizzly hard rocking preferences (so ... do you like amity and stuff?), but they're such beautiful, fully formed songs.

i guess the demos'll get released in some form sooner or later, and it doesn't really matter until then, but they are amazing. hm.

*i don't care if they spell it -pedia.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:
spzretent wrote: I was never much into the American Hard Rock scene circa late 70's(I was in high school at the time and wanted nothing to do with it)
on man. thats my idea of heaven! :D

theres an old gnr interview where slash was talking about being in high school and the playground was split between people who thought kiss were the best band in the world and the people who thought it was aerosmith.
that is a paradise.
See Dazed & Confused- the movie. It pretty much nailed that time period.
Re: the split playground or in my case parking lot. Every decade has that. Beatles or Stones
Bowie or T Rex- pretty much confined to the UK I would think.
Kiss or Aerosmith
Nirvana or Soundgarden
Radiohead or Coldplay
Arctic Monkeys or The Kooks
Ah...the age old battle.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

oasis vs blur
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Steve Reich v. Terry Reilly
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I saw the Dirtbombs last night at the Magic Stick in Detroit. (It was fucking fantastic!) Anyway, I spoke with Mick after the show. (Actually, I sheepishly sideled up to him and felt like I was 7 years old again when I shook his hand, but I kind of worship the guy.) I asked him about the collaboration with Spiritualized thing and he said that "The Dirtbombs had sang on one song", but he wasn't sure if Jason was going to use it. B-side?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

arthur miller vs oscar wilde
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Prodigy vs 2-Unlimited
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

That's enough versus

- Ed
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I was flipping the channel last night between the Rose Bowl and the Documentary Channel's airing of The Decline of Western Civilization Part II. I was laughing my ass (sorry, arse for our Brit friends) off and got really high off all those Aquanet vapours :shock: :lol: :oops:
I think I feel it coming on
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

purespace wrote:I was flipping the channel last night between the Rose Bowl and the Documentary Channel's airing of The Decline of Western Civilization Part II. I was laughing my ass (sorry, arse for our Brit friends) off and got really high off all those Aquanet vapours :shock: :lol: :oops:
we collonized you, bitch! 8) but then you gave us MTV...bastards, looks like you won!!
:wink:
nonk21
Known user

Post by nonk21 »

Nice sig purespace, Good Times is an underrated song, both versions. ;)
Life sure is Weird, but what else have I to Know?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Probably my favorite Spiritualized song.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

yeah specially when J does the whooo! part and the whole fuckin thing explodes 8)
I think I feel it coming on