The fucked-up ending of Spacemen Jam

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

twentysixdollars
Known user

The fucked-up ending of Spacemen Jam

Post by twentysixdollars »

Was listening to this with the wifey the other night. I've got the Sympathy version of the Dreamweapon CD and have never felt the need to upgrade to the Space Age release (how many versions of "Xtacy Live Intro Theme" can even a completist possibly need?). It had been a few years since last I played the album all the way through - maybe five or six, now that I think about it. So suddenly we're fourteen minutes into "Spacemen Jam", and I'm reminded of one thing I've always wondered about this track: this uppity tsk-tsk-tsk noise that starts coming out of both speakers, mostly the right, while both players' strumming becomes really irregular, as if the disc were skipping. It occured to me that it suddenly sounded as if things were going backwards. There's a snippet of dialogue at the end, not intelligible to me, that sounded like it could be backwards as well. But probably not. I guess it's just a bunch of skips. Can anyone illuminate this? Last I checked this is one of the most mysterious Spacemen tracks in all of Christendom, and not even the name of the other guitarist (besides Peter, I mean) is widely known. The Space Age version is supposedly slightly longer - does it have the tsk-tsk-tsking and skipping? Or is it just my copy that's fucked up, and I've never had the sense to wonder why?

I figure Runcible can help me out. Don't worry, Runcie, all's well here, and I'll be writing you soon enough. I should note though (since you're sure to read this and I'm in a bit of a hurry - forgive me!) that I'm quite certain I don't have any of the moderating powers (beyond editing/deleting posts) that you boys have been discussing in your messages.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

My version of the track from the Spaceage version lasts for 15:41 and has none of the skips you describe... it does end with some druggy giggling/dialogue, but nothing that sounds weird. Let me know if you're in need...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My Sympathy version has those clicks, but it never goes backwards. I always attributed that as being merely a poor recording. The end has Sonic making some funny "Neeeeaaaa" sound and then giggling. Its length is 15:42.

EDIT: So the label on the back is wrong. It says the length is 15:00, I played it all the way to 15:42. And "Ecstasy in Slow Motion" is 9:26, not 10:00.

And my god, the Sympathy version has the weirdest fucking artwork I've ever seen.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Weird. My copy runs 14:48. I always knew the times on the back were estimates, so I never bothered to question them.

Guess I better get it replaced! Eventually. Pity it done gone out of print on us.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

I think the second shooter (sorry axe man) is Steve Evans, but I could be wrong.
jadams501
Known user

Re: The fucked-up ending of Spacemen Jam

Post by jadams501 »

Dredging up a thread that's exactly 5 years old...

Does anyone know when the spacemen jam was recorded and with whom? j wasn't on it, correct?
runcible
Site Admin

Re: The fucked-up ending of Spacemen Jam

Post by runcible »

Slim is correct - no Jason, just Steve Evans and PK. Can't remember when it was done though.