Tru Love Will find You In The End

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

The Breeze
Known user

Tru Love Will find You In The End

Post by The Breeze »

Hi all!,

I'm getting married in 2 weeks and was wondering what suggestions you can give me for S3/Spectrum/Spiritualized music in the church.

Already chosen Sonic's 'True Love...' and 'California Lullaby'
Which Spiritualized should I choose (Spread your wings instrumental?)

One suggestion I've had for when my bride enters the church - 'Walk This way - Aerosmith'... Ha!

Love to y'all

Breeze :D
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Congratulations Breeze.

I suppose it depends whether you want songs or instrumentals. I reckon early stuff like anyway that you want me or Angel Sigh would be pretty good. I think I'm in love would be pretty apt, although it does have some negative undertones that you may not want to be putting on at your wedding day. Cool Waves instrumental would make nice background music. I want you would be another apt one.
blancheflower
Known user

Smug Marrieds

Post by blancheflower »

Congrats Breeze, me too! My bride to be and I carved up responsibilities thus: She does religion and I do the music. Problem is finding something suitable without references to smack or rude stuf about Jesus, religion etc. that won't offend the priest, maiden aunts etc

I thought Oh Happy Day instead of the bridal march, but I think we're going for an earlier version - Staples Singers or similar. I thought about I think I'm in love but like he says its a bit sarcy.

As we leave I've lined up New Morning by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, as my original suggestion ("Big Jesus Trashcan" by the Birthday Party) drew nothing but withering glances.

We are having a band who are being bribed to do Anyway... as the excruciatingly embarassing , first dance.

Let us know what you use in the end.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

At our wedding (which was in the presence of The State (ie no God OR religion allowed (or wanted))), we found "Loving You is Sweeter Than Ever, by the 4 Tops...it was almost unique among popular love songs in being completely mutual, and untinged by any sadness implied or otherwise...There is another 4 tops song with similar positivity, but cannae remmeber the title. We had than when we signed the register. We left the room to "All you need is Love".

For our first dance the band played "Something" by the Beatles (I think they did it instrumentally - I was too lovestruck to realise..."I'm afraid we don't know "Anything" by the Beatles" they said when we asked...

Congratulations!
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Thanks for the suggestions and the congratulations. Some good tips there!
I’m in the same boat with the missus-to-be working out the religion and me doing the tunes.
We are having a few problems trying to find hymns that everyone knows and will be able to sing.
I’ve suggested ‘All Things Bright And Beautiful’ simply because it makes reference to ‘the purple-headed mountain’ which always makes me smile. Beyond that, I’ve suggested ‘Movin’ on Up’ by Primal Scream because most people will know the words (dunno what will happen in the instrumental bit?) and Oh Happy Day is a good suggestion too.
I love The Beatles but would probably go for Oh My Love by Lennon.

The readings thing is a bit odd too as I wasn’t brought up shackled to any particular religion. It’s a Catholic ceremony and all their readings are bit, “Man is so crap and the lord is big and good”, which I don’t like much. I suggested including some texts from Buddah and Mohammed but the priest doesn’t seem to keen for some reason.

Cool Waves definitely!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

The Breeze wrote:I’ve suggested ‘All Things Bright And Beautiful’ simply because it makes reference to ‘the purple-headed mountain’ which always makes me smile.
:D LOL. Thank you for brightening up my afternoon. I must have sung that lots as a kid without ever realising the humour in it.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

clewsr wrote:
The Breeze wrote:I’ve suggested ‘All Things Bright And Beautiful’ simply because it makes reference to ‘the purple-headed mountain’ which always makes me smile.
:D LOL. Thank you for brightening up my afternoon. I must have sung that lots as a kid without ever realising the humour in it.
It's a beauty isn't it! Closely followed by mispronouncing certain words in the song 'My Grandfathers Clock'.

But back to the church,
If I want the kind of phase-piece that Spiritualized use before they go on and inbetween the set and encores, am I best off using 'Electric Mainline' from Pure Phase? What is the longest I can get?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

All that I know about Catholicism and 'mixed marriages' I got from reading Waugh and Greene...in fact I'm reading Brideshead Revisited at the moment...

Surely you're in for a life of torture, anguish and crises of faith and conscience that take place against a backdrop of espionage, corruption and alcohol abuse in one of the more remote backwaters of the post colonial Africa... :?
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

will this do? wrote: Surely you're in for a life of torture, anguish and crises of faith and conscience that take place against a backdrop of espionage, corruption and alcohol abuse in one of the more remote backwaters of the post colonial Africa... :?
Substitute 'West London' for 'Africa' and that's an accurate description.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

The Breeze wrote: If I want the kind of phase-piece that Spiritualized use before they go on and inbetween the set and encores, am I best off using 'Electric Mainline' from Pure Phase? What is the longest I can get?
have you got pure phase tones for djays? you could probably get a low fequency one from there on 33rpm that would last for ages. I think I saw them all on soulseek recently, so you might get them there if you are lucky. I like the idea of that as a background sound. One to scare the grandparents with, I'd have thought.

Regarding the catholic church, I was trying to compile a list of things I'd put into room 101 a while ago, and all i could come up with was mcdonalds and the catholic church. - mainly because of the obsession with making people feel guilty, the thousands of priests who they let mess around with children and the fact they wont support the use of condoms in africa where half the country has got aids - My mate probably quite rightly said that was not wise, and I'd get lynched. So I reckon I'd revise that to just religion, then at least people would have less to fight about. That still might not stop me from being lynched, however.

...no offence to any ardent fans of the catholic church [or any other], I'm sure it has many good points, it just hard for an independent observer to see them...please don't lynch me... :roll:
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Thanks for the DJ tones tip. I saw it in a shop a little while ago so may grab it there.

Why is it that for all the fucked-up ways of the Catholic Church, it produces some really nice people? (Priests excluded)
Many famous musicians too. Perhaps it gives you something to kick back against.

Most religions have not moved with the times and are about as relevant to modern life as Black Rod(good name) opening parliament.

We should start 'The Church of the Immaculate Prescription' dedicated to following the works of Pierce and Kember. The hymns would be great and you could smoke blunts in the pulpit.
:D
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

King Missile's "Double Fucked By Two Black Studs" is a romantic favourite of mine.
As is their "Gary And Melissa".
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

'I Want Pussy' - ODB

Something for the old folks.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Congratulations The Breeze.

All the best.

'Anyway You Want Me', just has to be!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

good luck Future Mr and Mrs Breeze. You're not getting hitched on Cup Final day are you?
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Starfish wrote:good luck Future Mr and Mrs Breeze. You're not getting hitched on Cup Final day are you?
Thanks Stafish.

We're getting hitched a couple of days after the cup. All my family are big sports fans so I'd never have gotten away with doing it on the saturday!