First Impressions of Songs In A&E (spoiler alert)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

First Impressions of Songs In A&E (spoiler alert)

Post by TheWarmth »

I had an opportunity to hear the album. Here are my notes:

"Sweet Talk" ~ This song is interestingly led by a McCartney-esque bass line at the beginning. Acoustic, horns and some nice "ooh-oohs" come in. Very repetitive. Pretty cool lyrics: "You stand there and fight for it all / but you don't own a gun / when the shells start to fall all around, you don't have to run / you sweet talk like an angel / but you're driving us blind / don't you sweet talk like an angel tonight." An excellent start to the album. Ah, plucked strings at the end. Nice touch.

"Death Take Your Fiddle" is incredible. It's not like anything else Spiritualized has released, in my opinion. It's ultra creepy (weird rhythmic breathing sounds ... like breathing in a gas-mask or something) and down-home but not dated in any way. Sounds like it could be a traditional song. I think you guys are going to really dig this.

"I Gotta Fire" ~ Jason's voice sounds thin on this. It's uptempo but not a standard Spz rocker. Features stabbing horns and some cool wah guitar. It's also short at 2:33. This one doesn't do that much for me, but maybe it's a grower. Lyrics are kinda corny overall.

"Soul On Fire" ~ This one has a nice gospel feel to it, but the choir arrangement isn't overdone. Nice big crescendo at the end with strings and horns. "Got a hurricane inside my veins and I want to stay forever."

"Sitting On Fire" ~ I really dig the sound of this one. There's an eerie ringing tone throughout the first minute or so accompanying the acoustic. Jason's vocals were recorded very well on this one. The arrangement is sparse and gorgeous. Gorgeous strings and tremolo guitar come in at the end with a minute or so left. This is a masterpiece. I think this will be a massive hit with all Spiritualized fans.

"Yeah Yeah" ~ This is pretty low-fi. Handclaps and kindof a Bo Diddley feel. Jason's vocals are delivered in a Subterranean Homesick Blues-ish style. This song doesn't really go anywhere, but it still works. So far I feel like he's achieved a lot of what he was initially going for on Amazing Grace.

"You Lie You Cheat" ~ garage-rock. The drums are really trashy. Another kinda low-fi sounding song. "You lie, you cheat, you take it all / cross my heart I'll watch you fall / when they cut you down you'll see / you gotta lift yourself / lift your soul / baby let it free." Crazy dueling fuzz-wah guitars at the end. I feel like this one doesn't quite go anywhere either. It's not an "Electricity" style rocker ... it's much more garagy. This will probably get a wide variety of reactions.

"Baby, I'm Just A Fool" ~ Most of you have probably heard the live version. It's pretty stripped down at the beginning, but subtle strings come in at the two minute mark and it gets fuller. Classic Spz fuzzy organ/Farfisa drone comes in. I love the way this one is arranged and produced. I think this song will be a favorite from this album. Neat change around 5:30 with shakers and a big drum/horn build up into a very Sgt. Pepperish psychedelic section. I wasn't expecting that at all. This is fantastic! 7 minutes of genius.

"Don't Hold Me Close" ~ Lullaby. Interesting lyrics: "Don't hold me close / you're not the one / that I can mostly lie upon / but I'll be here when you are done / and maybe time will just make a sweetheart of you / don't touch me there / your fire's too bright / and I don't care to travel light / but I'll be here when you are through / and maybe time will just make a sweetheart of you / and in the night I'll dream of you / and hope my aim is straight and true / but I'll be here when you are through / and maybe time will just make a sweetheart of you." Production on this is tremendous. Beautiful female vocal harmonizing with Jason. Wonder who that is. A huge tympani drum is the only percussion. Another winner, IMO.

"The Waves Crash In" ~ Holy shit! This is incredible. Let me try to put it into words: Absolutely perfect arrangements and production. It's sparse but huge. Slower tempo waltz. Sweet strings. Like nothing Pierce has done before, as far as I'm concerned. Sounds like clarinets in there, too .... some higher woodwind, at least. This has an almost whimsical quality to it, but not in a corny way. I just love this one.

"Borrowed Your Gun" ~ Another slower, ballad with strings. Like "Death Take Your Fiddle," it almost sounds like it could be a traditional song. "Daddy, I'm sorry I borrowed your gun again / shot up my mother / my beautiful mother." I really dig this one, too.

All of the "Harmony" tracks are unique, which is cool. They're all instrumentals, of course, but it's not just a Pure Phase-ish sound or anything. They work very well.

"Goodnight Goodnight" ~ acoustic lullaby. The lyrics are sorta run-of-the-mill Pierce. "Goodnight goodnight you're coming down sweetheart." It's heartfelt, though. No percussion on this at all. More strings.

These are all very first impressions, but I think I'm going to like this album a lot more than Amazing Grace. Not sure what to think about the two or three lo-fi numbers.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Re: First Impressions of Songs In A&E

Post by toomilk »

SOUNDS FUCKING GREAT
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

TheWarmth wrote:I had an opportunity to hear the album.

GRRR!!!!

Can't wait it sounds like it's gonna be great!
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Wow Warmth, you lucky man. Thanks for the nice detailed write up. My anticipation is most certainly whet.

What do you think of the comment elswhere on the board that it has 'diferent emotional direction' than previous releases? Does that mean anything to you now you've heard it?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

feels like something special. great post Warmth! though a furious jealously is stirring within!
feels like that Mama Said is I Gotta Fire (the new title lyric is featured briefly in the song if memory serves).
gonna burn brightly
for a while
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

sigh! i really want to be surprised.
i will not read it. also could you
edit the Subject with a warning:
this is how it will sound!!!

sigh,

M
Design.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

is one of the "garage"ish songs from that video in the news section? I've been wanting to hear a full version of that for years now...

how much are the acoustic mainlines new ones like the album versions?
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: First Impressions of Songs In A&E (spoiler alert)

Post by TheWarmth »

Hmmmm ... new emotional direction? I don't know if I agree with that. It feels like he's definitely pushing in a new direction, but I don't know if I'd describe it as a new "emotional" direction. A lot of the sentiments are classic Spaceman.

I'm really glad that there aren't any "She Kissed Me" / "Electricity" / "12 Steps" rockers as those were getting old. The production overall is so much better than on AG.
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

It sounds class! Cant wait til feckin may woo!
solarflare
Known user

Post by solarflare »

yep, sounds good! roll on may.........
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thank you thank you thank you. very interesting.

i cant wait.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

:D

That sounds very good. Thanks for the 'review', I'm looking forward to it even more now... dying of curiosity.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Yeah, TheWarmth cheers for the review it's pleasing to feel anothers instantaneous enthusiasm leap off the page. How many times have you been PM'd for treats? :D

Take care
Shoulders back, smash it
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

sounds bloody exciting

roll on may, my birthday and a bank holiday in one day too. gonna be a happy day!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good review. Can't wait for the new album and tour this summer/fall.

R.
mrrockandroll
New user

Post by mrrockandroll »

Thanks for sharing, mate. I was pretty pumped up just knowing it was coming, but after reading your summary I'm even more stoked. YES!
Your brain thinks in words - Your soul thinks in music
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

How the hell did you hear the album??? :shock:
plymwhites
Known user

Post by plymwhites »

mrrockandroll wrote:Thanks for sharing, mate. I was pretty pumped up just knowing it was coming, but after reading your summary I'm even more stoked. YES!

a warm welcome back to the forum mrrockandroll, thought you'd forgotten all about the band :?: :wink:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

I'm glad nobody has decided to be po-faced about your review TheWarmth and it has been taken in the context you set-out.
I dunno what it's like for everyone else but have you started to see the amount of "pre-emptive" reviews spread on amazon?
I was wandering around there today (pre-ordering the new Guillemots) and stumbled across a few albums to be released that had reviews such as; "i saw 3 of their new songs captured on video-phone over the youtube site"...therefore I'm going to score the album a 5 without hearing it!!!
Senseless...it's just getting a bit "i'm a fan therefore 5 stars". In a sociological context are the majority of people just kidding themselves and living in an extreme black & white world? I mean it seems to me that there is now no middle-ground...i don't like therefore i hate, i love it therefore it obsesses me.
Bizarre.
I'm neither up nor down by what I've written, btw.

BZA, you'll be glad to hear your favourite band the Kooks have a new release soon...see you in the queue. TheJig...how can you contain yourself..."Third" is on its way and that's one I'd deffo be looking to hearing a review of. There's also a Joy Division best of...skip it and spend an extra tenner for the box-set. New Lidell on it's way also...March, not a bad month
Shoulders back, smash it
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Jig...how can you contain yourself..."Third" is on its way

After many years another month means very little in terms of wait, so it's easy not even to think about it.'Songs In A&E' on the other hand is slightly different in as much as I am thinking about it more, and that's despite being able to avoid reading an early review of that album on the previous page. So bizarrely while thinking of 'Third' far less than 'Songs In A&E' it's the new Portishead album I'm looking forward to listening to much more than the new Spiritualized album...
What more can the heart of a man desire?
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Thanks for the review, man! Re: how you heard the songs--have you got a pipeline to Jason's mind, by chance? :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm glad everyone is enjoying my little review. Sorry if it isn't more well written, but I did it very quickly and just wanted to give you guys an idea of what the songs sound like. Also, I apologize if I've ruined it for anyone who wanted to be completely surprised.
Vostok
New user

Post by Vostok »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm glad everyone is enjoying my little review. Sorry if it isn't more well written, but I did it very quickly and just wanted to give you guys an idea of what the songs sound like. Also, I apologize if I've ruined it for anyone who wanted to be completely surprised.

Dear the warm, :cry:

I need to ask you this... why don't you leak the album? :wink:

I mean (and I think that I can talk for everybody here) : we NEED to listen to that RIGHT NOW! I am getting crazy. And I don't think Jason would be mad with us - anyone that would download is going to buy it anyway...
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I'm gonna wait and buy it. There's nothing wrong with anticipation.
Vostok
New user

Post by Vostok »

JPB wrote:There's nothing wrong with anticipation.
I disagree. There's the anxiety, sleep disorder and a lot of stress. Who's gonna pay my doctor's bill?
:?

don't get me wrong, people. when I read that review, my salivary glands went crazy.
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

Vostok:

Take two bong hits and call me in the morning :o - that we'll relieve your anxieties.
lazerguided
New user

PLEEAASE

Post by lazerguided »

First, thank you to Warmth for letting us all know how it sounds, I'm extremely excited that it wasn't garbage, not that he has ever released a bad record. I have a few requests, if it's not too much trouble. Warm, are there any songs/sections/anything that sound like Pure/Lazer/Ladies&Gents? And by this I mean hazy guitar drones/mellow trippy stuff, you know like Spaceman3 classic-ish? This is what the last 2 records lacked for me, and I love that style...
Second, Vostok is right, SOMEONE HAS TO LEAK THIS RECORD. I for one am going to purchase the DELUXE edition, 100%, i always follow up when i download a leak. I just need to hear this album NOW, I cannot wait two months, there is no way in hell. I know it has to leak before then, every new album does at least a month beforehand, but someone has to help out the people that neeeed a new spiritualized album.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Talking of leakage...

I've heard that the deluxe CD version comes in a pressure sealed colostomy bag and that gatefold vinyl (first 1000) is shipped with "Dry for Life" products (I'm guessing pants and pads).
Shoulders back, smash it
Vostok
New user

Re: PLEEAASE

Post by Vostok »

lazerguided wrote:First, thank you to Warmth for letting us all know how it sounds, I'm extremely excited that it wasn't garbage, not that he has ever released a bad record. I have a few requests, if it's not too much trouble. Warm, are there any songs/sections/anything that sound like Pure/Lazer/Ladies&Gents? And by this I mean hazy guitar drones/mellow trippy stuff, you know like Spaceman3 classic-ish? This is what the last 2 records lacked for me, and I love that style...
Second, Vostok is right, SOMEONE HAS TO LEAK THIS RECORD. I for one am going to purchase the DELUXE edition, 100%, i always follow up when i download a leak. I just need to hear this album NOW, I cannot wait two months, there is no way in hell. I know it has to leak before then, every new album does at least a month beforehand, but someone has to help out the people that neeeed a new spiritualized album.

You speak my language, dear friend. :wink:
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Cheers for that. I'm quite exited about it now. :mrgreen:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Lazerguided: I think you will be pleased with the Harmony tracks. They're all brief, fairly tripped out and mellow. The rest of the songs on the album are melodic and chord-progression-based, aside from the garage-rock rave-up tracks, a few of which would have been right at home on Amazing Grace.

Also, some of the instrumentation and arrangements on the slower, acoustic-based tracks does remind me to a certain degree of Lazer-Guided Melodies, but I don't think you're going to hear anything that makes you think, "wow, he finally went back to the LGM sound!" I don't think that will ever happen.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Sounds like a valedictory statement!
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazerguided
New user

Re: Sounds good...

Post by lazerguided »

Multi wrote:I was listening to it driving to work
today and was thinking back on how the first three Spiritualized albums
fit one era of the band and the last three conclude the final era.
Interesting,two eras you say? If A&E really is a LICD/AG fusion with a few new ideas, that's fairly disappointing, I'd say. I mean, I listen to a LOT of bands that are different from and better(some would say)than Spiritualized, but nothing ever compared to when I first heard Ladies and Gents.
So although there are a ton of new records out this year, I'm most excited for Spaceman's.
But I digress...can someone at least give me a reason why you cant like secretly leak the record...or something? Like I understand if you think you'll get in trouble if you do it on the freakin forum, but there are ways of being discrete. If you guys actually HAVE promo copies that aren't like watermarked or some shit, please share them. I'll pay cash.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Perhaps we can ask Jason to drive over to everyone's house and give us a free copy each.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

lazerguided wrote: Interesting,two eras you say? If A&E really is a LICD/AG fusion with a few new ideas, that's fairly disappointing, I'd say. I mean, I listen to a LOT of bands that are different from and better(some would say)than Spiritualized, but nothing ever compared to when I first heard Ladies and Gents.
So although there are a ton of new records out this year, I'm most excited for Spaceman's.
But I digress...can someone at least give me a reason why you cant like secretly leak the record...or something? Like I understand if you think you'll get in trouble if you do it on the freakin forum, but there are ways of being discrete. If you guys actually HAVE promo copies that aren't like watermarked or some shit, please share them. I'll pay cash.
Dave from LA, is that you?
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
lazerguided wrote: Interesting,two eras you say? If A&E really is a LICD/AG fusion with a few new ideas, that's fairly disappointing, I'd say. I mean, I listen to a LOT of bands that are different from and better(some would say)than Spiritualized, but nothing ever compared to when I first heard Ladies and Gents.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

sunray wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heh heh - busted to be sure!!!
Vostok
New user

Post by Vostok »

So, today is another day. I woke up this morning and I was trying to feel alive while I was taking shower, thinking in hope: "Maybe this is day that I can listen to new record".

And as I walked down the street, smoking cigarretes, headphones earthquaking cop shoot cop from some of the dozens of bootlegs that I have. So I keep walking in the streets feeling hope in my head: "Today's the day".

But it isn't.
I open our patients forum and I just read people that seems felling like me. And other people talking about tickets and so on. That's the story of my life: read people discussing about spiritualized concerts, dates and tickets. You guys have no idea of what is living in a country where spiritualized don't play (and yes, English is not my first language and that's why I write with a lot of errors - sorry about that, folks!).

So, I was talking about HOPE.
Example: each tome my cell-phone makes a pi-pi-pi, I think that maybe it's a friend telling me "hey, the albun has leaked!". But no: I just receive messages telling me things about football, drinks with friends, work-shit, and so on.

Tomorrow is another day.
And I keep feeling hope in my head.
Maybe tomorrow is the day.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I sincerely hope Multi and Warmth and Uncut mag. can keep this one back for a bit, it probably is only a matter of time before its all over the filesharing networks.
However, don't you think it would be extremely refreshing if it was not "leaked" (I always think of some horrible dream-like scenario where you are running home, clutching a pint/bottle of milk/bru thats broken and you've got to run home as fast as you can before it spills everywhere...just me then) before the release date, as though after five years you can't wait another month or so?
Unlike Amazing Grace, which was allegedly put online by the band themselves due to indefinite delays this is definitely released in a matter of weeks...

Lazerguided... bet you gobble down your dinner as well, aye?

Thanks for Warmth and Multi's words which i'm trying not to read. At all. Apart from the bit about 'Baby I'm Just A Fool' and Sgt. Pepper? Rockin! :D

X
2thirty5
New user

Post by 2thirty5 »

Instead of downloading a crap mp3 version of these songs, just pop in some old Spacemen 3 and wait patiently. Sonic's new record is coming out soon too. Or is that a forbidden name on this board?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

As much as my inner child, who demands satisfaction NOW, wants to hear this music, it's my sincere hope that the album is not leaked before the release date. I have way too much respect for J and Co. for that to happen. He personally financed the US leg of the AM tour and, for that, I am grateful. Godspeed May 2008 and a fucking US release date.
I think I feel it coming on
lazerguided
New user

Post by lazerguided »

No, I don't gobble down my goddamn dinner. I was just hoping maybe you guys could understand what it's like for the melancholy college student who isn't ACQUAINTANCES with Jason for godsake. I honestly have no idea how to upload a record onto the internet, and even if I did, I'd be much too busy and selfish to give it to other people. I'd just be listening to it over and over while enjoying some nice camel filters and dope. So although I completely respect your opinion about not "leaking" it and making us wait, I'm still sad. I guess I'll finally buy AG because I haven't even heard it yet, because I know what it is and am not interested. Also I just purchased Let it Come Down and it isn't nearly enough to hold me over. I find it to be a drop in quality in comparison to earlier work, although still good. ANYWay...no I'm not whoever from L.A., I'm Paul from Long Island New York. So there...please continue to discuss the new record and tour dates or whathave you cause it's keeping me entertained! Sorry for the long post. :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

lazerguided wrote: I guess I'll finally buy AG because I haven't even heard it yet, because I know what it is and am not interested. Also I just purchased Let it Come Down and it isn't nearly enough to hold me over. I find it to be a drop in quality in comparison to earlier work, although still good.
That's a very confusing post!

I'm still trying to work out exactly why you are so excited having pretty much missed the last 10 years of Jason's output!
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

yeah i agree....you should seriously give LICD and Amazing Grace some more listens...they are deserving of it and extremely impressive in their own way.
lazerguided
New user

Re: Yeah...

Post by lazerguided »

I had a feeling you guys would say that. It's just that I listened to both of them, like samples and some fulls, and I couldnt get into them. They're much different than the first three (which I absolutely love). Although I have LICD now, and played it about 3 times through. It's great, but it doesn't make me feel like "...the warmth of the sun in the room...just me, my spike in my arm and my spoon..." does. This may be heresy, but LICD feels a bit sterile to me at parts. I have no right to say this though, and I must give both cds more time and listens. Just speakin my mind, I dont mean to insult anyone or his music. It's all amazing. Sorry for the confusion. :? :)
bcastle21
Known user

Re: Yeah...

Post by bcastle21 »

lazerguided wrote:I had a feeling you guys would say that. It's just I listened to both of them, like samples of the songs, and some full...and I just wasn't feeling it because it was so much different than the first three (which I absolutely love). So I have LICD now, and have given about 3 times through. I enjoy it, but it doesn't make me feel the same way as "...the warmth of the sun in the room...just me, my spike in my arm and my spoon..." This may be heresy, but it feels a bit sterile to me. I have no right to say this though because I need to give it more time and listens. Just speakin my mind, I dont mean to insult his music or anyone because I love all of it. Sorry for the confusion. :? :)

they may not be as immidiately engaging to you.....they are very different. maybe don't look at them in the same light (apples and oranges maybe?). IMO, Let it Come Down has some of Jason's most tight lyrics and the huge productions (while seeming overblown at first) can envelop you in the right mood. Amazing Grace is somewhat of the opposite effect...it's minimal production and raw noise can knock your socks off at times...if also in the right mood.

Don't Just Do Something
Anything More
Won't Get to Heaven
Lord can you Hear Me

Rated X
Lord Let it Rain on Me
She Kissed Me
Power and the Glory

....all among the very finest moments of his 20+ years of making music. Both these albums get massive amounts of playtime (to this day) in my car on trips to work and back....and that's saying a lot as I have a pretty massive selection.

Smoke a joint if you have to
Wait til you are broken hearted
Put it in your car, play it loud
Whatever it takes

Just give those two albums another chance.

They have brought me joy in the past few years.
lazerguided
New user

Re: bcastle21

Post by lazerguided »

Let it Come Down is incredible, it's like L&G part two and I was an asshole. I get bitter sometimes.
Last edited by lazerguided on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazerguided
New user

re

Post by lazerguided »

///
Last edited by lazerguided on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

The Jig wrote:

After many years another month means very little in terms of wait, so it's easy not even to think about it.'Songs In A&E' on the other hand is slightly different in as much as I am thinking about it more, and that's despite being able to avoid reading an early review of that album on the previous page. So bizarrely while thinking of 'Third' far less than 'Songs In A&E' it's the new Portishead album I'm looking forward to listening to much more than the new Spiritualized album...
I'd be keen to hear a review. Also I see Tricky Kids ol' bit has a new long player out soon. It's been too long since the charcoal-chocolate chanteuse was on the scene.

http://www.myspace.com/martinatopleybird

Maybe with the new emphasis on "female factor" she'll gain a bit of a broad acceptance...
Shoulders back, smash it
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: I'd be keen to hear a review. Also I see Tricky Kids ol' bit has a new long player out soon. It's been too long since the charcoal-chocolate chanteuse was on the scene.
Maybe with the new emphasis on "female factor" she'll gain a bit of a broad acceptance...
That's so weird, I was just thinking about Martina yesterday...I was reminiscing about my first recording session- which was recording her vocal for one of Tricky's early b-sides ('Abbaon Fat Tracks') and how I'd thought it was easy. Of course it was not easy- she's the one who made it easy because of how naturally good her voice is. I always expected her to have mega acclaim... but it never quite happened to the degree she deserves.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunny wrote:
eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: I'd be keen to hear a review. Also I see Tricky Kids ol' bit has a new long player out soon. It's been too long since the charcoal-chocolate chanteuse was on the scene.
That's so weird, I was just thinking about Martina yesterday...I was reminiscing about my first recording session- which was recording her vocal for one of Tricky's early b-sides ('Abbaon Fat Tracks') and how I'd thought it was easy. Of course it was not easy- she's the one who made it easy because of how naturally good her voice is. I always expected her to have mega acclaim... but it never quite happened to the degree she deserves.
I pondered this too this morning (amongst many other trivial matters) and came to the conclusion that it is maybe both timing (i.e. the female singer has seen a bit of a surge recently and not in 2004; all indie-boy-bands) and the fact that she has morals (I assume) and seems fiercly private of her...erm private life. In other words she aint out every night stumbling out of the "right" pubs/clubs/parties and is rarely photographed in public. Seems like she does her bit, lets it ride and then devotes the rest of her time to her child. If i wore a trilby, it would have been tipped at her.

I'll be interested to see what sort of direction she is going in...as "Carnies" is very much de riguer and representative (stylistically) of what is being attempted popularly at the minute.
Shoulders back, smash it
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Hmm yeah... not everyone is good at, or into, self hype. She seemed very sound when I met her, but that was such a long time ago so I can't say I know anything about her personality or morals. She has done a lot of interesting things but she has perhaps not milked it the way plenty of other artists would have...I suppose it could be for good reasons, like not wanting to 'play the game' or it could just be down to having crap management or PR people... either way i think she's one of the best British singers around and deserves more success.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunny wrote:Hmm yeah... not everyone is good at, or into, self hype. She seemed very sound when I met her, but that was such a long time ago so I can't say I know anything about her personality or morals. She has done a lot of interesting things but she has perhaps not milked it the way plenty of other artists would have...I suppose it could be for good reasons, like not wanting to 'play the game' or it could just be down to having crap management or PR people... either way i think she's one of the best British singers around and deserves more success.
That's a much better way of saying it.

I see you've even got a wee name mention in Discogs Sunny...makes me smile when i see someone i kinda know being kinda famous...and you wonder why i tend to go for instrumental music...words are (blatantly) of little importance to me.

EDIT: Maybe something we should all try whilst we're waiting; I'm an Australian Keyboard player who has worked with Delta Goodrem and Silverchair...according to discogs. Not far off actually.

Tricky is an artist i've been meaning to explore; think i bought black steel on 12" and then forgot about him.
Something for next month.
Shoulders back, smash it
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunny wrote:Hmm yeah... not everyone is good at, or into, self hype. She seemed very sound when I met her, but that was such a long time ago so I can't say I know anything about her personality or morals. She has done a lot of interesting things but she has perhaps not milked it the way plenty of other artists would have...I suppose it could be for good reasons, like not wanting to 'play the game' or it could just be down to having crap management or PR people... either way i think she's one of the best British singers around and deserves more success.
That's a much better way of saying it.

I see you've even got a wee name mention in Discogs Sunny...makes me smile when i see someone i kinda know being kinda famous...and you wonder why i tend to go for instrumental music...words are (blatantly) of little importance to me.

EDIT: Maybe something we should all try whilst we're waiting; I'm an Australian Keyboard player who has worked with Delta Goodrem and Silverchair...according to discogs. Not far off actually.

Tricky is an artist i've been meaning to explore; think i bought black steel on 12" and then forgot about him.
Something for next month.

Haha, that's funny- I'm kind of proving my own point about self hype. I had no idea that I have had any mention on that record or if I was ever credited or not. I never bothered to check nor had any interest because I took a serious dislike to the music biz early on 'career' wise. The big recording studio I worked in (Mayfair Studios) turned into some sort of nightmarish conveyor belt of music for me... like a prison. So I left and since I've only worked with people who I like and who's music I admire. I've refused to care whether this makes financial sense or career sense, as long as I'm happy and I don't have to listen to crap music. As for Tricky and Martina, the reason I mention it is because I actually liked the stuff when I worked on it. I'm referring to Tricky's first album, I didn't keep track of what he did after.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Not just that record either...there's more...well one more...
Shoulders back, smash it
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:Not just that record either...there's more...well one more...
:lol: Now you're going to make me 'search' for myself!
I hate that and usually never do it. I can't even look at photos of myself or listen to my own voice on the answer machine without feeling self conscious. Internet searches are way too scary... :(

Galliano... well that makes sense, the producer on that record is one of my best friends in the world so of course he'd remember to credit me. But yeah, this is an embarrassing game Stuart so lets change the subject. :oops:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Back into the shadows with you then... :D

Nowt up with Galliano and all that late 80's/early 90's acid jazz...many a night spent spinnin' across local halls to those tunes. 8)
Shoulders back, smash it
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

..."Third" is on its way.

I'd be keen to hear a review...

Makes more sense to be keen (or even keener still) to hear the album rather than some rhétorique décentrée, non !?... :arrow:

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunny wrote:
Diverting off course here but that's Ok cause that's such a cool story! I love that tune - you recorded that vocal Sunny??!! - astonishing. A real mellow number that one. Nostalgic to me in the best sense. Tucked away on the b-side of Maxinquaye as well. She should have had mega-acclaim, one of the best modern 'voices' I can think of.

Martina, her first solo album is a cracker. Q.O.T.S.A, Tricky and Mark Lanegan are on it but its all hers. I think i've said it before but even the minute-long 'Intro' beats most artists 'careers' to a bloody pulp - I still put that on comps and never get bored of it. Spine-chilling and unique. See also 'Too Young To Die', 'Ragga' etc. Classic. A lost classic maybe but time is on her side.

Tricky? Let the thread begin, he deserves it. His third LP is an all-time dark, grindhouse classic.

TBC

X
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

BzaInSpace wrote:[
Diverting off course here but that's Ok cause that's such a cool story! I love that tune - you recorded that vocal Sunny??!! - astonishing. A real mellow number that one. Nostalgic to me in the best sense. Tucked away on the b-side of Maxinquaye as well. She should have had mega-acclaim, one of the best modern 'voices' I can think of.
Ok so I'll have to deal with my shyness since I started off on this topic...

It wasn't out of some sort of false sense of modesty that I said that Martina's voice recorded well without any effort. I didn't even compress or EQ her vocal. For those of you more technically minded- I just stuck a U87 mic in front of her and used an EMT 140 plate reverb (a real plate). The desk was an SSL, so those were the mic amps it went through. She sort of sat down at a stool quite far from the mic. She probably sang into it from about 3 feet away rather than close up. The room was quite small, but relatively live and wooden. I had nothing to do with the mix of the backing track, it had already been mixed down to 2 tracks which she sang over. So I couldn't even change the instrument balance for her headphones, she had to deal with whatever was given to her.

A funny side story; Tricky had the night before asked me to send her a cassette (I think of this tune, but I'm not too sure). I cabbed it over to her, but since I'm not originally from London and had not been here for that long I never realized how far away she lived. When the studio got the £150 cab bill for the cassette I had a lot of explaining to do...haha. :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Jig wrote:

Third is now doing the rounds in blogland.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

sunray wrote:Third is now doing the rounds in blogland.
I'll wait until 13th and 28th April. Also heard a few songs from 'Third' at the post ATP gig they did a week later in Bristol. Zenchan said the album is astonishing. That's all i need to know...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I received the final, mastered version of A&E this morning. It sounds 100 times better than the previous, unmastered version I had. Even "I Gotta Fire," my least favorite track, is now starting to appeal to me. I love the production on this album. It's a happy medium between LICD and AG, in terms of the overall sound, arrangements and production. I'm definitely not saying that as a whole it's a combination of LICD and AG; that's not the case. These songs fit into a totally different catagory, as far as I'm concerned. Fantastic.