Sundial

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Lixx
Known user

Sundial

Post by Lixx »

Anyone else on here into the late 80's/early 90's psychedelic group "Sundial"? I made the grave error of selling some of the early EP's and early LP's awhile ago and now I'd like to find someone with some mp3's since I can't find any online or in Mac shareware programs.

thanks

Chris
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I loved Sundial. When I first heard it, round a mate's house (stoned, natch) it was that 6-track midi LP and it seemed to go on forever (in a good way)
They sounded like a Loop with tunes. They went off the boil a bit in later days but could still knock out the odd great track (the albums Libertine and Reflector were great in parts)

definitely a good bong band
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sundial were pretty hit and miss. The best gigs I saw, such as at the Powerhaus in 1993, were akin to Spacemen gigs in style - full of mad sonic noise and a crazy projection light show. Gary Ramon's guitar ability was without question, his vocals were otherwise.

Other Way Out (either version is good) and Return Journey contain serious carnage, either in noise or just in general psychedelic ideas and are highly recommended. They also made some fine power pop songs ('Let It Go', 'Star Baby'), but in essence the more tripped out stuff was superior.

On a final note for me on this was a truly extraordinary solo LP called 'All Aboard The Mind Train' which was pre-Sundial from about 89. Gary Ramon played just about every instrument and much of the record is incredibly tripped out despite it being less noisy and often more acoustic-based. 'Girl in a White Sports Car' is particularly outstanding, but there are other moments of mind bending style. There is a kind of reissue of this, although I think it was pretty limited, as the original German pressing was very hard to find at any point.