RFH LAG Reviews

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

spzretent
Site Admin

RFH LAG Reviews

Post by spzretent »

I figured it would be better to start this thread rather than sift thru tons of pages of pre show questions/hype.
Get crackin' you lucky folks who went or are going tomorrow.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Lindsay Ash
Known user

Re: RAH LAG Reviews

Post by Lindsay Ash »

Top 5 Spiritualized Gigs (Revised).

1.Norwich UEA. 8th May 1992.
2.London Astoria. 16th June 1997.
3.London Royal Albert Hall. 10th October 1997.
4.London Royal Festival Hall. 12th October 2009.
5.London Brixton Academy. 8th March 2002.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

some real moments of magic, a tiny bit rough round the edges in places, the December gigs should be amazing

first time I've experienced poor sound at the RFH, guitars too low and massive, massive booming bass

shame the encore couldn't have been extended, everyone in the place was desperate for more

they had a mirror ball again and yet another new bass player

good to see John Coxon was called back in

brass section were fantastic

was it deliberate that they played Kate's spoken intro at the end rather the beginning?

no balloon drop
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I wept.

M

PS: It was amazing to meet all of you.
Design.
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

Agree with Jesus Son.... Guitars, Farfisa & Brass coming in way too loud at times (or not loud enough in others) and being dragged back down quickly which made it sound worse..

It was the first time I've ever seen an album played as a whole and it confirmed to me that half the fun of a gig is anticipation. Also, coming back on for a one song encore was a touch dissapointing (although I loved the choice of song), they had 15 mins left until curfew so they could've squeezed another in.....;)

Other than those few gripes it was a cool show..... :)

Highs:

Seeing John Coxon's guitar up on stage as I entered the room..
Electricty, All of My Thoughts, Stay With Me (Bloody Amazing!!) & Cool Waves.
Watching the Choir Master doing the actions for the end of I Think I'm In Love..
Hearing that guy shout out "I fucking love you Jason".. Seemed to loosen the crowd up a bit.

Lows:

Empty seats.. (does that mean people didn't get their tickets in time??)
The girls in front that talked all the way through first two songs but thankfully fucked off to some empty seats for a better view.
Strobes at the end of Cop Shoot Cop, I was expecting total chaos...... Fairily restrained compared to what I've been used to at the end of a Spiritualized show.
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

I thought it was immense!

Liked they way they didn't play around with the album too much, just a few embellishments (Elvis bit in middle of LAGWAFIS, THAT ending to Electricity and a few extented endings etc) - just enough surprises without losing the album.

Lights were awesome - sound a bit lost at times, but I thought good considering the noise being made (sooooo loud in places!)...and a very attentive crowd.

LAGWAFIS was great at the start - bit nervy, but I think that added to the atmosphere of anticipation really as they got into it. Electricity, Broken Heart and Cool Waves probably my favourites, but I was hooked all the way through.

Out of Sight was...well, Out of Sight!...and I actually liked the fact it was a single song encore...I would have been quite happy for it to have just been the album and end there because it was so good, but that little cherry on top just finished it all off nicely.

I see in the other thread someone saw Bobby Gillespie at the bar? I'll add Kwame Kwei-Armah (off of Casualty and Newsnight Review!) to the celebrity spot list...

Was Jason having guitar problems again?!
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

From where I was sat the sound was really good but I couldn't hear the string section very well. The choir master was brillant doing the actions for I'm in love. Home of the brave always brings a tear to my eye and it did last night. True it was a bit ruff in places but it was the first night. I went to the first acoustic gig in Salisbury and thought that was brilliant but when I saw them a few months later it was even better. So I'm gonna have to go to one of the December gigs, not that I needed another excuse to see the genius of Spiritualized !
It was my first time seeing an album played in it's entirity, 1 down 5 more to go, if only !!!
Great choice of encore, out of sight, shame it was only one song oh happy day would have brought the house down, but I am a greedy f....... I think the choir, brass and string section thought there would be another song too as they didn't leave the stage straight away when the band did ?
I was on the front row of the rear stalls and could see the back row of the front stalls was empty apart from 2 people even though it was sold out ?
Great great great gig !!!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

swinny wrote:
I see in the other thread someone saw Bobby Gillespie at the bar?
I saw Andrew Innes
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

jesus son wrote: was it deliberate that they played Kate's spoken intro at the end rather the beginning?
Not sure.... but if you remember, as soon as the band came on stage, it went very very quiet for what seemed like an eternity....so something might have broken?

Only seemed to add to the mystique surrounding what we were about to hear - it was quite a way to start the show!
danesmoor
Known user

Post by danesmoor »

I think, obviously, the bar is set high by his/their own standards of gigs and I've seen at least around twenty... Wasn't sure how this would compete with an incredible, intimate Leamington Spa gig a while back.... Also, I reckon, once averaged out - I have listened to this album at least once per week since its release AND I have always regarded this a truly studio-based album - so what could I get from a live take on something so familiar that I thought near impossible to capture live? Particularly since I was in the rear stalls....

Well what I got was - lots and lots of glistening to downright moist eyes & 'hump-back-bridge' surges of exhilarating emotions...

I also, despite being entirely sober, got rather disorientated where things were happening to the stage and surroundings and my balance that weren't really the case whatsoever...

I got *totally* lost in the whole thing save for the odd 'coming-up-for-air' moment where I shared the odd knowing-look with my girlfriend to confirm it *was* that good and normal, non-transcendental reality would be possible to return to...

I'm also someone who is pathetically British about standing-ovations being a little be crass but, last night, it was an absolute given.

Best moment - where to start? Stay With Me? Electricity? No God?

Worst moments? Pah - minimal - perhaps seriously doubting I was going to have the emotional endurance to see it through during the first song and would have to dive head-first out of a nearby window instead. Latecomers? Idiots (but maybe delayed) and just closed my eyes. Toilet Brigade? Forgivable. Those people who decided 'another pint' was of more worth than, say, 5 minutes of the gig, foolhardy.

My girlfriend, who's not lived/walked with this album for 12 years - only has heard of it for around 1 year could not comprehend music of this emotional depth and beauty - and was slightly puzzled as to why the strobes started producing buffalo herds in the rafters....

Imagine you'd not heard it before & were plonked into the RFH totally naive.

Celeb spots - Bobby G & mate was sat next to Kate Moss.

And My Sock's've Been Vapourised.

Can't wait for the Broadway Musical.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

my anticipation for tonight is whet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/200910 ... view.shtml
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

As commented the sound wasn't great, bass way way to loud in the mix and was fighting thelow frequencies with the kettle drums.

Highs

Electricity freak out
Cool Waves
Choir singing along with Jason during Think I'm in love intro, sublime definite chills up the neck moment

Lows
empty seats
nasty bass
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
BBC6Musicnews
New user

6 Music News RFH review

Post by BBC6Musicnews »

altered attitude
New user

Post by altered attitude »

Amazing performance, only 3rd time that I have seen them (previously Acoustic and Roundhouse) but was blown away.

Was lost in the psychadelic, aural sensation of it all, me and my mate were just grinning at each other at the end of each song. Almost wanted to strap myself in for Cop Shoot Cop, which was incredible, felt the choir were the light that I needed to head towards!!!

One question...did anyone catch the song in the dj set immediately before they came on??? Was great, desperate to find out what it was...

Would love to be there again tonight, alas...
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

I think it was "I started a joke" by the Bee Gees before they came on...can't remember if there was another after or not.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

altered attitude wrote: Almost wanted to strap myself in for Cop Shoot Cop, which was incredible, felt the choir were the light that I needed to head towards!!!
very very well put

I felt the same about what the brass section were playing - and then the sound of the choir came sweeping through.....
it was like musical apocalypse, but which gradually gave way to calm. The presence of all the sounds in the hall left a huge impression - one that you couldnt see yourself replicating at home listening to a recording.
altered attitude
New user

Post by altered attitude »

swinny wrote:I think it was "I started a joke" by the Bee Gees before they came on...can't remember if there was another after or not.
Thanks for the pointer...what a tune.
enoughtomakemesick
Known user

Post by enoughtomakemesick »

What an awesome evening! Sat there smiling like an idiot the whole time and just felt utterly transported away, especially on Electricity and CopShootCop. Perhaps the large doobies beforehand helped :shock: ....RFH is a great place for a smoke outside. Only slight blemish (as mentioned before) was the empty seats. We were on row B just in front of doggen and there were 8 seats on Row A empty - I mean WTF???

Anyway now seriously considering Barbican as a pre-Xmas treat.

Fantastic!!!
marc w
Known user

Post by marc w »

As someone who was sat at the back of the balcony, seeing all those empty seats round the hall was a bit of a bummer. WTF was that all about? SeeTickets fuck up? Seats given free to twats too blase to turn up? Greedy Ebayers getting their come-uppance?

And I do think that a few more songs may have been in order, but never mind!
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

MODLAB wrote:I wept.

M

PS: It was amazing to meet all of you.
Almost did, held back though, all in all an amazing night, wish i had a better way with words but i cant think of a bad thing to say about last night, to all the grumblers ....shhhh
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That was, if you pardon the stupid Americanism, totally awesome. Spine tingling, hairs standing up moments intercut with jaw dropping, vision creating strobe effects and deafining walls of noise.

First of all, was a bit gutted to be in such a mad rush to get there, after desperately bombing up on the train from Brighton after work, that I didn't get a chance to meet up with others off the board (though I think I spotted Orbital at the downstairs bar at one point and saw Mark and Assoc. of course in their little box with their banner!). Also, like others have already mentioned, it was disappointing to see that there were quite a few empty seats down near the front, especially after the best seats I could blag was row RR in the rear stalls. I noticed that touts outside were selling tickets for just £20 or lower too.....is this really all a knock-on effect from the very late ticket dispatch by SeeTickets?

Also, I remember the original advertisement for the show speaking of "special guests"....did I miss something or I am taking it as read that that was meant to mean Jon Coxon?! I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Jon Coxon....but maybe Dr John would be more appropriate for the "special guest" category. Sorry, now I'm coming accross all moany when I have been on such a high after this wonderful gig. Was just a little point, thats all (one that I'm probably going to get ridiculed for now....whoops!).

Anyway, after reading previous reviews, I didn't think the sound was too bad at all....not from where I was sitting near the back anyway. The strings, choir and brass sections were simply outstanding and Doggen's harmonica playing was superb. Hightlights for me were the mesmorizing strobes on Electricity, the drawn out version of L&GWAFIS at the start and the beautiful Broken Heart.

I'm really tempted to see if I can blag a ticket near the front for the Barbican gigs so I can experience it from nearer the stage and so I can get some half decent photos...(talking of which, surely there must have been some brilliant ones taken from someone on here that can be posted?).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Oh....and how many of you spent £35 on a poster?! My mates were laughing at me as I stood by the merch stall going through a personal crisis on whether to fork out £35 on a poster with Spaceman written on it or £25 on a t-shirt almost designed in a way not to be worn. Luckily common sense won out and I saved my hard earned readies though I saw many, many people spending away.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Just back after a mad few days. 2 hangovers in 3 days isn't funny.

My opinion, rather against the general view, was that it was a great occasion but nowhere near the best I have seen them play - not even close in fact. I thought the sound was muddy from where I was sitting which I found really frustrating - the strings were too quiet and I couldn't tell which guitarist was playing what a lot of the time. The songs that I felt would totally overwhelm me - Electricty and No God Only Religion mainly - didn't hit the level I needed and No God particularly was below par. I Think I'm In Love was majestic however and I've never been the biggest fan of that song.

I had a brilliant time though - it was such a pleasure to meet so many lovely people - many new but some old friends too. Sunny, Shaun, Barry Space, Steve Purespace, James T, Stephen Sunray, Tommy Orbital, Olan, Kevin Toomilk, Mick Spazed99, Nick H, Veiko, Simon Keeping, m_spi... I suspect there are more that my beer fuelled brain has let slip. Robotoilet - sorry we didn't speak but I didn't know who you were until after. I'd have carried on at the Princess of Wales pub but I'm glad I didn't as I escaped with just a slow brain this morning rather than stomach and cerebral ache.

Last word... I saw The Heads 2 nights running before the RFH. That was in a different league - sorry!
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Wonderful night (Monday), as many have already mentioned. Not Spiritualized at their very best but then Spiritualized not at their very best are far, far better than most acts out there.

Seem to bit quite varying opinions about the sound quality. Bar the obvious mixing mess-ups, sound was very clear from where I was (row C in front of Jason) and I could hear clear separation between instruments etc. Doggen was a little low though.

A lot of highlights already mentioned by others – Jason whooping and hollering during Come Together, gorgeous Home of the Brave, very aggressive Electricity, the choir leading everyone back into the last section of Cop Shoot Cop (keeping perfect timing against that maelstrom of noise). The choir, brass and strings all superb – such professional musicianship amazes me, that these men and women have the ability to play with such proficiency with a band like Spiritualized who, let’s face it do not play ‘conventionally’.

One thing that stood out for me was that the choir were REALLY into it. The way they started dancing as No God Only Religion began wasn’t just for show – you could see that they felt it and loved it.

Kate’s spoken intro used as outro at the end was fitting, although as suggested by someone else perhaps there were technical problems that prevented it opening the show and ‘book-ending’ the whole performance (maybe reviews from the 2nd night will clear this up).

Doggen’s harmonica playing was as good as Sean’s ever was – superb during Out of Sight, despite the mic level being too low at first. Hearing that song last night makes me think that LICD really is the album that would have suited the full treatment – the only gig I saw of the LICD tour (Cambridge) was appalling, couldn’t discern anything from the awful sound that night.

Lastly, the way a grinning Jason took in the crowd as he was acknowledging us at the end, he really took time to scan around, taking in as many people as he could (nice nod up to the balcony also as he left).

Post by sunray »

Went Monday night, it was exactly what i expected but not what i was hoping for, good but not amazing. Myself and my girlfriend were both left feeling a bit lacking at the end of it. Given the nature of the gig we both thought it should've been more momentous, more powerful in some way, it's kinda hard to put into words, was certainly expecting more of a lightshow. Highlights were Think I'm In Love, All of my Thoughts, Stay With Me, Electricity and The Individual. Must admit i was furious with the choice of encore, should've been Shine A Light / Electric Mainline to end off the night.
Probably by the last gig it'll be the experience that i hoped it would be. I must admit though i was expecting The Heads to be the best thing i'd see all weekend and that's how it turned out, my girlfriend agreed and she knew absolutely nothing about them beforehand.

A big shout to all the Board members i met, had a great time before and after. It was nice to put some faces to the names, although none of you looked anything like how i had pictured! :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

It was an amazing experience, i havent stopped going on about it or listening to the album all day !!!

Shame about so many empty seats I really hope its not because of the ticket distribution problems Ive read on this board recently, it would be such a shame for people to have missed out on this gig. The row in front of me was empty apart from 2 people. Even the BBC6 review mentions it, this gig sold out so quickly they added another date(s) soon afterwards. My missus couldnt make it, she's due in 7 weeks and we didnt think the strobe frenzy would be a good idea. I took the spare ticket back to the box office on Sunday and they gave me a credit note for the face value of the ticket minus £1. And the box office did sell it on as somebody was in the seat when my friends and I arrived.

My missus is due on the 1st December, I really hope she isnt late, I would hate to have to choose between the birth of our first born or seeing this gig for the last time at the Barbican :D
sml42
Known user

Post by sml42 »

in my experience, doctors _really_ don't like pregnancies overrunning by more than a week. if your missus is late I can pretty much guarantee she'll be induced well within 2 weeks of due date.

all of which means, firstborn will have arrived... quite possibly you'll still be off on paternity leave... those babies aren't easy work you know, what better way to unwind than by taking an evening off? I hear the barbican is good around that time of year ;)
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Oh my god, that was good.. Some things to note from the 2nd night....

1) Jason had the occasional problem with feedbacking, meaning a protracted start to Cop Shoot Cop, and a long end to All Of My Thoughts
2)The Kate intro bookended the gig, a nice touch.
3) I might have lost some of my vision after those strobes, especially at the end of Electricity..... jeeesus
4) The aforementioned 'All Of My Thoughts' was absolutely spellbinding with the orchestra.
5) The sound mix..... yeah. Lots of low end, with the worst culprits being the encore, and Stay With Me, as it would have been nice to hear the horns, strings, and even the gospel choir on that.
6) Doggen can really play harmonica
7) Broken Heart was a bit of a disappointment - the mix probably to blame for that.
8) I Think I'm In Love, All Of My Thoughts, LAGWAFIS, or Cop... was probably the highlight for me. Such a brilliant backing setup he's got going for himself here, the choir were great! Love the dancing :lol: On Ladies... they were so powerful.

Absolutely incredible. When it hit you, it was a HUGE sound. Wonder how this will affect the next set of tours.... will we see a return of the horns?
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Amazing!
I was at the top. i can't complain about the sound. there may have been some flat moments but....
STAY WITH ME

holy shit!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Same encore 2nd night?
bunnyben
Known user

Re: 6 Music News RFH review

Post by bunnyben »

the bbc are on here? how cool!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Yep, Out of Sight again. Jason is never one for setlist changes is he?

I had an interesting perspective because we were in a box on Monday, and lower stalls on Tuesday. I have to say the sound was much better on Monday because it was still too bass-heavy but being higher up we got some more of the high end, particularly the keyboards, which I hardly heard at all last night. That was a pity because it added the proper space-rock element that went missing a bit last night amid the wall of noise (and by that I mean the sound guys just turning everythiny up to 11 until it became almost a big sludge).

The whole thing was utterly sublime, so mustn't complain really, but I think it would have pulled the pants off us with a better mix...maybe the tales of under-rehearal were really about the mixing desk guys????

Anyway, I recorded both nights - Monday isn't great but I changed some levels for Tuesday so let's see how that comes out!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

No gripes from me. This had the feel of an event rather than just another gig and getting to meet some new and not so new faces from this board made the evening special. Nice to have met you all / seen you all again.

Only complaint was having to leave the pub early to get back out to the suburbs! Would have been nice to have stayed for some more beer soaked memories of Spacemen 3, Mudhoney, The Seeds, Poison Idea...

Can’t wait to see the pictures!
:D
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Pictures on the way!

M

EDIT

http://gallery.me.com/m2graphis#100731

USERNAME: spiritualized
PASS: (same as above)

They're downloadable.

Enjoy!
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Wow what a couple of days! My head feel like wool today after the lack of sleep and boozy evenings. Great shows! great people, great times. Hi to everyone who I met over the last couple of days. Bizarre when you meet people you've been in touch with for so long. I feel like youre all old friends!

Highlights of the shows for me
The noise/strobes
The shear volume of people on stage was a thing to behold in itself!
As Kevin said last night, the songs you didnt expect to be great blowing you away.
Great to see John Coxon back onstage too, hes been missed.
so much more but my mind is whiring now.

oh and check the pics up on flickr, some great stuff on there from the shows.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

MODLAB wrote:Pictures on the way!

M

Holy shit I must have been drunker than I thought. I can't remember any of those being taken. I also don't remember looking that serious at any point as I was enjoying myself too much. That's alcohol for ya!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

It was a bit of a blur towards the end. I have way more and will post them slowly so we can
already swallow the pain. :lol:
Design.
carlosvito
New user

Post by carlosvito »

a couple of corrections about monday night:

1) Kate's intro WAS played at the beginning as well as the end. There was some stage noise as the sample was played so guessing that's why a few people didn't hear it. It was definitely there.

2) From where I was sitting (up in the gods) the sound was absolutely perfect - in fact, it the best live sound in terms of balance and quality I've ever heard at a gig. I'm guessing its the RFH at fault - maybe the seats lower down suffered.

Amazing, amazing gig.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Interesting that they book ended the set with Ket's sample. I didn't hear it at the beginning I must admit.

The sound was poor where I was sitting. That's hardly a correction Carlos as the first Kate sample being inaudible for many rather backs up the 'poor sound' point many are making! I was sitting half way back slightly to one side and thought the sound would be amazing there but it wasn't. Sadly these days gigs rarely sound that good - so much better on the continent.

The endless stream of people neeing to pee (which increased to extraordinary proportions as the gig went on and bladders filled) got in the way for a lot of people I know. I certainly regretted that last pint by the end!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Further to my earlier post - I'm just having a play with my second night recording and - althought I'm biased of course - I reckon it's sounding pretty OK. Mainly because I set the bass roll-off to the absolute maximum, something I've never had the need to do before!!

All of My Thoughts and Stay With Me are sounding particularly peachy. Some of the white noise wig-outs naturally less so...

If I can get it sorted tonight I'll stick it on Savefile or Megaupload and post you guys a link...
carlosvito
New user

Post by carlosvito »

runcible wrote:That's hardly a correction Carlos as the first Kate sample being inaudible for many rather backs up the 'poor sound' point many are making!
true, came to the same conclusion after I posted.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What's really annoying is the sound obviously was really good for some people. The RFH is designed for great sound all over but it didn't happen like that on Monday... The higher the better it seems (in many ways...).
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

runcible wrote:What's really annoying is the sound obviously was really good for some people. The RFH is designed for great sound all over but it didn't happen like that on Monday... The higher the better it seems (in many ways...).
Nor Tuesday if it's any consolation Runcible...
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Greeny wrote: If I can get it sorted tonight I'll stick it on Savefile or Megaupload and post you guys a link...
that would be grand, sir!
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Greeny wrote:Further to my earlier post - I'm just having a play with my second night recording and - althought I'm biased of course - I reckon it's sounding pretty OK. Mainly because I set the bass roll-off to the absolute maximum, something I've never had the need to do before!!

All of My Thoughts and Stay With Me are sounding particularly peachy. Some of the white noise wig-outs naturally less so...

If I can get it sorted tonight I'll stick it on Savefile or Megaupload and post you guys a link...
God bless you, and all who sail in you
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

What a truly spectacular evening. I was up high near the front and the sound was superb where we were. It was much better than I actually expected. The sheer number of musicians on stage was a sight to behold. Stay with me - where did that come from? I'd always thought it a weaker song on the album, but it was transformed last night.

I loved the conductor grooving away and getting the singers dancing.

I was reading the new hitch hikers guide to the galaxy on the train journey down, and I just could not get out of my head that they were the house band at the restaurant at the end of the universe. Celestial.

I had a fantastic time all evening it showed how fucking amazing Spiritualized are. I felt that Jason has managed to square the circle between the electric and accoustic shows making something completely new and distinct.

Even the telegraph agrees... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... eview.html
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 270154.ece

the sound engineer should come on here and explain him/herself!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

This was loaded up on the Primal Scream forum by Moggieboy. He says it's an amazing audience recording. I'll give it a go later at home.

http://rippedinglasgow.blogspot.com/200 ... en-we.html

I didn't get tickets to any of the shows but these reports sound mostly good, some amazing. May have to get one for the Dec show at the Barbican. I like the idea of an out of body experience courtesy of our Spaceman.

It always amuses me when people say "Oh, I wish I hadn't drunk so much, next time I'll be more sober". I've done it many times myself and aways think "what's the point in drinking away a memory of a gig"?? For a Spz gig you wouldn't really need a skinful to appreciate it....would you? I'm trying to do a sober one at the Fuck Buttons later this month just to test the booze doesn't equal enjoyment theory I'm currently working on. :wink:

The Guardian gave it a 4 out of 5 review complete with a pic of the J man. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/oc ... zed-review
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

was just gonna post that myself, but you took the glory :D
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

it's a sloooooooooooow download, sounds like the wait is worth it though!
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Is the same one that you've got, gottafire?
enoughtomakemesick
Known user

Post by enoughtomakemesick »

Vindaloo wrote:was just gonna post that myself, but you took the glory :D

Yep - pretty strange review tho?
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

It seems like the sound quality all depended on where your seats were. I thought the sound on Tuesday from the front of the rear stalls was far less bass heavy than on Monday from the front of the front stalls. Also, my view on Monday wasn’t great as I couldn’t see the string section or the rhythm section at all, and could only make out the dangly sleeved arm of the choir conductor! So although the sound from the choir was excellent, not being able to see them in action on Monday gave the false and surreal impression on occasions that it was coming from backing tapes.

Also, although it was good to see John Coxon back with the band, as a result I thought that Doggen, during the times when he wasn’t playing harmonica, did appear to be strangely under used.

On the plus side I can’t recall hearing All Of My Thoughts live before so that was a real highlight, and I loved the full on lights and strobe assault during Electricity and Cop Shoot Cop.

L&GWAFIS, Broken Heart and Cool Waves never fail to move me every single time I hear them, and given the full backing treatment here emphasises what amazingly beautiful songs they are.

OK, so while these may not have been the best two shows ever performed by the band, they definitely sent me out feeling that I’d witnessed something special and gave me that post Spiritualized show buzz which is always a lovely feeling. It also got me really looking forward to the Barbican show in December when I’m sure J is going to take this on to an even higher level.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

yep... that is a damn fine recording....
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

Half way up the rear stalls seemed a bus-ride away from the stage but, on Monday, the sound from there was cracking and, as my mate Hutty put it, "you could really appreciate all the twinkly stars." Maybe it's the Spaceman effect or maybe we'd just started the imbibing a bit too early.....
Anyone got spares for Gateshead? :shock:
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

MODLAB wrote:Pictures on the way!

M

EDIT

http://gallery.me.com/m2graphis#100731

USERNAME: spiritualized
PASS: (same as above)

They're downloadable.

Enjoy!
Ah thanks M, these are great. Some nice big boozy grins in there!
moggieboy
New user

Post by moggieboy »

johnnyboy wrote:This was loaded up on the Primal Scream forum by Moggieboy. He says it's an amazing audience recording. I'll give it a go later at home.

Cheers for the heads-up Johnnyboy but all credit for this beauty goes to Tufty - it seems to be the best one doing the rounds, going by the hits on Dime for the other one compared to this one.
marc w
Known user

Post by marc w »

The lights DID look incredible from the back of the balcony. Fair took me back to the Albert Hall gig, where I got vertigo and consoled myself with taking a hit on a bottle of poppers whenever I felt too high.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Is it safe to come back to the real world?
marc w
Known user

Post by marc w »

It's usually best not to....
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

Does anybody have a list of the personnel for the evening?
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

The general consensus seem to be the way the way I saw it.

The sound wasn't so good in places - I put it down to being in the rear stalls and that the sound would've been better out front a little. Lights were great and with some of the more full-on moments it all got a little heart-attack territory! Gospel singers were cool - I loved the swaying and would liked to have joined them but I sing like shit. Man the band can play though! and the fullness of the sound was good. I missed the start by 5 mins so the 1 song encore felt like I had been short-changed a little and I would also agree with the lack of special guests as I was expecting more. I took a friend who was blown away by it though.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

altered attitude wrote:
One question...did anyone catch the song in the dj set immediately before they came on??? Was great, desperate to find out what it was...
Immediately before was I Started A Joke (Bee Gees, though check out the classic Faith No More cover), however on a similar manner I'd like to identify a track from maybe ten minutes or so from stage time - a really soul type with a smooth voiced crooner with really spiky lyrics about getting his tremor pills out a box and his arms being useless (I can only vaguely remember these lyrics, could be way off!).
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ads wrote:Oh....and how many of you spent £35 on a poster?! My mates were laughing at me as I stood by the merch stall going through a personal crisis on whether to fork out £35 on a poster with Spaceman written on it or £25 on a t-shirt almost designed in a way not to be worn. Luckily common sense won out and I saved my hard earned readies though I saw many, many people spending away.
Just a mug for me, which my girlfriend bought and is maintaining that i'm not getting til Christmas.

Oh, and sorry to be pedantic but can we change the thread title to RFH LAG Reviews please? It would help my condition greatly, thanks. :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
lionboy
Known user

Post by lionboy »

Sadly I have been unable to make any of these shows (hey if anyone's got a single ticket they're giving away ...) but am really enjoying hearing about it. Just thought I'd direct you to the NME piece about it here http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&p=7327. It's not so much a review of the gig, more a critique of the whole "albums is their entirety thing. The best thing is the picture to accompany it, as anyone who has seen London's 'athiest buses' will appreciate.
Attachments
Bus.jpg
Bus.jpg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 25353 times
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

johnnyboy wrote:This was loaded up on the Primal Scream forum by Moggieboy. He says it's an amazing audience recording. I'll give it a go later at home.

WOW @ stay with me