Football (American style)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

redcloud
Known user

Football (American style)

Post by redcloud »

Hey spzretent, you think it's bad being a Lions fan? I'm a Browns fan (I grew up in Cleveland). Jesus, this is depressing. We just keep finding new ways to lose and can't quite catch on to the concept of:

1. Scoring an offensive touchdown
2. Tackling

The day that Modell moved our "original" team out of town was a very sad day....but today was like watching a lowly high school team suited and booted in my beloved orange, brown and white being torn apart from a below average Denver team! The entire Browns organization needs swift, decisive change. Enough with the old boys club attitude...this sucks and it is damn hard to watch week in, week out. Spzretent, you know what I'm on about, bro.

Good news for both you and I though....we play each other. Somebody HAS to win that one. At the moment, my money is on you guys. At least you know how to score offensively. :roll:
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Football (American style)

Post by spzretent »

Redcloud:
As hard as it was I just gave up years ago(post Barry Sanders). That turned to disgust while it was clear Matt Millen was in way over his head but ownership just dug their heels in and refused to fire him. It was their response to the outcry from fans and experts. He set the organization back at least 5 years.
BUT, we still never had our team uprooted like you guys. That must have really hurt as its obvious Cleveland is really a football town.
I still watch a little. I saw the first quarter yesterday until the baseball game started. It has become routine on home game Sundays that I start turning down free tix around 9:00am.
The Detroit vs Cleveland game should be a good one. Neither team will have drag the opponent down to their level.
I do think the new coach here is good. That is a start.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:BUT, we still never had our team uprooted like you guys. That must have really hurt as its obvious Cleveland is really a football town.
Grown men were crying that day. My Dad swore never to watch them again upon their return. He always loved NCAA and to this day pretty much only watches that. I have been more kind and with 14 years having passed since Modell moved them and about 10 since they returned I try to forget those awful times. However, their week in, week out abysmal performances make it so hard to watch.

Defenses don't respect us and we're the butt of jokes of pretty much every other fan bar those from Detroit, KC and St. Louis.

Still...once a Browns fan, always a Browns fan.

:roll:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My friends mock me all the time because Saturdays are my Sundays. It starts w/English Premier League Soccer and goes the rest of the day w/College Football.
To most of my friends having season tickets to the Lions gives them a gauranteed 8 sundays to get away from their families and get their drink on.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Detroit deserves their celebration. It is long overdue and you have already bettered your previous season. A 100% improvement surely to go to 200% when you play Cleveland. Jokes aside, you have the Red Wings and in the past the Pistons have done the city proud. The city of Cleveland on the other hand is cursed. The Indians, Browns and Cavs all seem to choke at the worst time.

The Browns team on the field this season though is downright awful. Easily the worse team they have ever fielded and as bad as it was when Modell moved them I think this is equally as painful to sit through.

However, it is not just the team it starts with the head of the snake (the owner; Mr. Randy Lerner). Lerner needs to concentrate on Aston Villa (yes, he owns them too!) and sell the Browns to somebody who appreciates their legacy, their heritage and their incredibly loyal fan base.

Coach? Fire Mangini. For christ's sake, you don't hire somebody who has been fired from another team! Look at the Jets without Mangini and the players he brought to the Browns from the Jets. They are sitting at 3-0 and we are 0-3! Sure, he inherited this team but come on, was Mangini the best hire? There were some great coaches available and many potential poaches from other teams, yet in all our wisdom we chose the guy who was fired from one team for poor execution.

Def. Coordinator was then hired from Oakland Raiders. WTF?? They had a worse record than Cleveland last year! Why would you hire him? The guys calls 9 def. players on the line leaving no safety in the backfield. Receivers get open and they are home and away. Happened twice against Denver and this week the Baltimore Ravens just hovered above our dying carcass and picked us to pieces (which particulary hurts as Baltimore are the team we could have and should have been!). Half our defense doesn't even know how to tackle. My son's 4th grade team can tackle better than the Browns!

Off. coordinator? What the hell kind of plays are you calling? 3rd and 10 and you run the QB sneak? Idiot!

Players? I can think of about 6 who should stay all the others should be told they are playing for their job in the NFL. You don't perform why should you be paid millions? Go be a used car salesman or something but don't expect multi-million dollar contracts and then play with no heart or care. A second-tier college team (Univ. of Montana for example) could beat them at this rate. We can't even get the first down and if we are lucky we might just be able to sneak the field goal in. Sad day when your biggest offensive threat is your kicker! We are truly awful and it is downright humiliating to the city and their proud and loyal fanbase.

Lets look at some of their stats from the last 6 games of 2008 season and the first three of this season:

----------
Cleveland has been outscored, 224-60.

The Browns have 1,769 yards of total offense - a paltry 196.6 yards per game - and the Cleveland defense has allowed 3,259 yards of total offense to the opponents - a healthy 361.1 yards per game.

The Browns have run 503 plays, for a poor 3.5 yards per play. The opponents' 578 plays have netted a robust 5.6 yards per play.

Cleveland quarterbacks have completed 136 of 267 passes (50.9 percent) for 1,151 yards: just 8.5 yards per completion and 4.3 yards per attempt. They have been sacked 23 times for 131 yards. Thus, in the 290 passing plays counting sacks, the Browns have netted 1,020 yards - or 3.5 yards per play!

Meanwhile, opposing quarterbacks have excelled against the Browns in the last nine game.The opponents' QB's have completed 160 of 246 passes (65.0 percent) for 1,812 yards. That's 11.3 yards per completion and 7.4 yards per attempt. The Browns have sacked the quarterback just eight times for 44 yards. So, in the 254 passing plays counting sacks, the opposition has netted 1,768 yards, or 7.0 yards per play - twice what the Browns' passing offense has done.

The running game has been just as futile for Cleveland. The Browns have gained 749 yards on 213 rushes, just 3.5 yards per carry.

Opponents have ran over, through and around the Browns defense for 1,491 yards in 324 carries. That's an impressive 4.6 yards per carry.

In the three games this season, the Browns have thrown six interceptions and lost three fumbles; the opponents have not thrown an interception and have lost two fumbles: a big 9-2 turnover ratio going against the Browns.

------------------

These stats speak volumes about just how poor this team is but it really does start from the top with poor organization in the front office down to bad choices of coaches and even players. Hell, Spzretent, even the Lions at their worse (and yes, they were bad) produced better stats than this.

Fucking hell, Mr Lerner...please sell the team to somebody who understands our pain! Maybe Bernie Kosar will buy us?

Sorry for the long rant...as a long time loyal fan I am saddened, pissed and downright disgusted at what this organization has reduced my beloved team to!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I allowed the Lions to take my passion away for pro fooftball. And I am a HUGE sports fan. But due to decisions that ownership has made over the past 15 years and coming to a head w/being so cheap they were the reason Barry Sanders retired. "No commitment to winning". I think was his quote. I just gave up like Barry.
I always hope they win but my Sundays are not centered around that. I find other things to do. But I was very happy for the team yesterday to get that albatross off their back. They hired a hell of a coach. I think they will be ok.

Re: Cleveland sports. Detroiters always find it funny when Indians fans invade Comerica Park and shoot off their mouths. Detroiters have the ultimate trump card. I am 50 and I have experienced 2 World Series Championships, 3 NBA championships and 4 Stanley Cups. That usually ends the insults.

I have never had a good sports experience in Cleveland(when going to see the Tigers play there). There are always some a holes taking shots. We were even refused service at the beer area in center field. Then the manager saw what was happening and he read my lips when I finally told my friend "Screw 'em, I dont need to give them my money. He bought our beers for the rest of the day. The night before we were at the game and some guy just walked by my friend and pushed him because he had a Tigers jersey on. Then when a full blown confrontation started security tried to throw us out. There were 2 ushers who saw and heard everything and wouldn't tell security. We had to calmly tell them what happened and the walked to the outfield and said just behave.
On the other hand I have seen several shows in Cleveland and those are always cool. Maybe its just sports fans. I dunno.

Good luck w/the Browns.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Sorry again for the long rant last night. Man, I was pissed.

Sporting events are tribal and passionate fans the world over can be obnoxious. That is not to excuse the a-holes at the games you have experienced but Cleveland has some of the most passionate fans in the country. Yet, we seem to be a cursed city. Clevelanders also have fierce pride in their city (as do you, I am sure). I guess one has to when your city is often the butt of many jokes. I grew up there but left over 20 years ago but am proud to say that I am from Cleveland. You can take the boy out of Cleveland but you can't take Cleveland out of the boy, I suppose. That said, it is getting harder and harder to say that I am a Cleveland Browns fan.

I watch the games with a local chapter of the Browns fan club. There are about 100 or so of us who assemble every week at the pub and watch the game. Kids too are allowed in until 9pm. They are all Cleveland natives who now reside here and great people to talk to and the passion for the team is still very much there. However, Lerner's ownership is destroying that fanbase. He has to go.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I realize I am probably having this conversation with myself but this is as good a place as any to vent about the Browns.

Slightly better game this week than previous three but we still lost. Also, still not sure just how good Cincy are. Steelers beat themselves last week but GB game was a good win for them. Had we been playing a stronger opponent I think we may have been thrashed, yet again.

Also not sure why our coach has no balls. 11 sec left in regulation time and we had chance to go for 58 yard field goal, which would have won game. Worst case scenario, we miss and Cincy get ball with about 7 or so seconds left. Probably forcing overtime. What does our coach do? He shows no confidence in kicker or defense and chooses to punt forcing the OT and eventually our fourth loss of the season. A gutsy FG call would have won many of us discouraged fans over with some new found respect.

:evil:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:He's dug about 5 feet out of his 6 foot grave. Cleveland fans are calling for his head.
Yes, and several thousand have already signed the online petition for owner to sell the team.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

God it was ugly (Cleveland vs Buffalo)...but a win is a win and we finally have one!

Spzretent, I was rooting for your boys to beat Pittsburgh today. The Lions may be 1-4 but they are on the verge of beating many of teams they are losing to. No longer the laughing stock of the league-there are at least half a dozen teams that I believe the Lions can beat (Cleveland being one of them-but I guess we will find out week ten when they play each other).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

From what I hear- sports radio wise, the score is not indicative of the game. I saw the last Lions drive. A few big plays and they were at Pittsburghs 25 yd line. I walked out of the room and they were on their own 45 yd line.
I think they will be fine. Great coach. Looks like Tennessee misses their defensive co-ordinator. The Lions are clearly better than St Louis, Oakland, Jacksonville and Tampa Bay. After that its a toss up.

Congrats on the win. Trust me, 0-16 is embarassing.

i am totally consumed by the baseball. After the Tigers folded their tent I have been actively rooting against the Yankees, Boston and St Louis. So it was a good weekend. Add in a Michigan State road win and a Michigan loss and it was all good!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I think the Lions are better than St. Louis, Oakland, Cleveland, Buffalo, TB and KC.

There are then a few teams that I think they could have very good games against:, Jacksonville, Carolina, Miami, Washington, Houston, Seattle, GB and Tennesee. All of which are winnable for Detroit. So, your team is headed in the right direction. I wish I could say the same for Cleveland. Regarding KC and Tenn., I do not believe either team is as bad as their record suggests.

I haven't been as caught up in the end of the MLB season for some reason. I think because it has coincided with my initial excitement for the football season starting and hoping for big things with the Browns and then the inevitable come down with how bad the season has started.

I'm looking forward to the NBA season to begin. Go Trailblazers! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I agree with you to an extent about the NBA. I don't like the thuggish image the sport seems to have attracted and become. The Denver Nuggets being amonst the worst offenders. Thankfully Portland's team isn't like that and it makes it more the better when they spank those teams.

Tonight's Jets vs Dolphins game was an absolute corker! I could care less about either team but what a great football game to watch. Big plays, five lead changes and a final TD for the win with only 6 sec left! Why the hell didn't Braylon Edwards catch balls like that when he was in Cleveland?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Dear God,

For my sins, I am a Cleveland Browns fan. Please put me out of my misery....soon!

Signed,

Once proud supporter who sits through shit week in, week out.

PS: I'd love to help the team out...can I too be paid millions to drop passes and miss tackles?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It must run deep because I was able to give up years ago for the Lions. Mediocrity at best in my lifetime.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:It must run deep
I blame my father. Although he abandoned ship when Modell moved the original team to Baltimore.

Sad thing is, I now live in Portland and I'm raising my 9 year old son to be a Browns fan. He's loyal but god, the shit he probably gets from his friends at school. Fuck it, there's no NFL team here so most football fans in this city are bandwagon Steeler fans or new found Saints fans (basically any team that are doing well). The true Oregon natives are Seahawk fans or strictly NCAA Ducks and Beavers supporters.

My son and I go to a local Browns Backers sports pub every Sunday, have brunch and watch the game with about 100 other fans being projected on the big screen. Yesterday he said to me "Dad, why does this ALWAYS happen to the Browns?" I had no other answer for my guy other than..."It's hard being a Browns fan, son".

Thank christ for the Blazers whose season starts tomorrow!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well, as a life long fan you have had some playoff wins. I know that seems like a long time ago but think of Lions fans. One playoff win in 52 years. I have no idea why some teams in the NFL are so shitty this year; T Bay, ST.L, Oakland, KC, Cleveland, Detroit. So many blow outs yesterday. It was fun watching the Bears get their asses kicked.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Don't forget to add Tennesee to your list. They were on a bye week yesterday so went forgotten but the week before they were annihilated 59-0 by New England. Weird thing about them is they were 13-3 last year.

Lions though are on the move up. Raiders are a train wreck only equalled by the Browns. No idea about the Bucs, Rams or the Chiefs. KC seems to have some good parts to their team but then yesterday they just didn't bother to show up and compete. Good news is that the Browns play the Lions, KC and Oakland this year. We may just sneak a win from one of them. Yay, we may win 2 games this year! :roll:

NCAA is providing most of the football excitement this season. Oregon vs USC on Halloween should be a good game with a lot of action.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Heartbreaking for me this past Saturday night. My beloved MSU went down on the final play to Iowa who seemed to get in a weeks worth of plays in the last 1:30. Add some questionable calls(from my green and white eyes) and you get heartbreak.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yes, I saw the final Hawkeyes drive. Bummer for the Spartans. Iowa are now 8-0...first time they have done that in, well, ever?

Looking at Iowa's schedule I can't see them losing a game until Ohio State but even they are beatable. Hawkeyes undefeated? Probably not.

For what it's worth and as much as I hate to say it...I think Texas are best college team in the country at the moment.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Browns GM fired. Hopefully more firings to follow (head coach, DC and OC).

How about them Oregon Ducks, spzretent? I had a feeling they were going to beat USC but man, what a punishing. That was great. So tired of the Trojans and they had it coming.

But, I'm not sure why Iowa are 4th in BCS poll and Oregon are not in the top 5. I understand why Boise St. are ahead of Oregon as they beat the Ducks (even though one could argue that Oregon are still the better team as they have beaten stiffer competition than Boise) but why are the Hawkeyes in top 5?? They've had a good season and deserve their success but are they really THAT good? I think the AP poll is more realistic, they have Cincy 4th and Iowa 8th.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Things are definitely beginning to become interesting...couple key upsets yesterday, not least Stanford over Oregon (wow, 51 points? Where was the Oregon defense? Clearly not in Palo Alto.). But, the Hawkeys also went down. USC and Cincy both won but only just. My son and I braved the cold and a heavy downpour to watch Portland State's final home game of the season. They have been a disappointment this year, expectations were high that they could give both Weber St. and Montana a run for their money but it just hasn't happened. Still, it was a fun/wet day out even though the game was effectively over by the halftime.

It's all been said before but the lack of a playoff system in college football is just crazy. Seems a shame that two losses can effectively kill an otherwise very good season (Oregon?) or a team like Boise State who play one competitive team a year can be so highly ranked.

Thoughts?

PS: notice how I didn't mention the Browns at all? Woops, I just did. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

too early to mention the Browns :lol:

Iowa's success was apprently tied to the QB who went down and the back up sucked. Oh well.
I am enjoying Michigan's lack of succees this season. And the Rich Rod quotes after the game./
Coming from an MSU fan :wink:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:too early to mention the Browns :lol:
No, they're on a bye this week. That's the best and only thing that needs to be said about them! :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

just watched the end of the Lions game w/my friend. We were in a restaurant and as soon as Seattle buried the Lions deep in their own end w/a 5 point lead I said Stafford is going to throw an interception for a touchdown and the Lions wont cover. lo and behold.....
Good thing I dont bet.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

That game was on over here too as Seattle is nearest NFL and MLB team to Portland. So, we get all the Seahawks and Mariners games televised down here.

Lions started out strong, quick 17 points but as with so many of their losses they just can't seem to slay the opponent and finish it off. Somehow, no matter what the score is you ALWAYS have a chance to come back from behind and beat the Lions. That said, I honestly think progress is being made in that organization and they are an improved team.

Browns and Lions play each other in week ten....if there is ever a good time to become a betting men then maybe that will be the week you should lay money down on the Lions getting their 2nd win. :wink:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Some great games this weekend. Loved seeing USC getting spanked again but this time by Stanford. Apparently it was their worst loss since 1888.

Anybody see the Colts vs Patriots game last night?? Wow, what a stunner and great come back by the Colts. Bellichick will be questioning why he didn't punt that ball on 4th and 2 sitting on his own 30. He showed no respect nor confidence for his own defense with that call and it will now haunt him.

Browns vs Ravens on Monday Night Football tonight. Oh dear, this could be ugly. :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Some positives and negatives with Browns loss. Positives...our defense did a decent job. Negatives...our offense is totally inept, but we already knew that. However, if I were a Ravens fan I would be seriously worried. Sure, they won but to only score ONE offensive TD against a team that many call the worst in the league, is not good. Not sure how they will do when they face stiffer competition. Lions v Browns next week.....yay!

I see the Bills just fired their coach...hey Buffalo, please take Mangini and our crap OC off of us. We will pay you to do so!!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Spzretent, did you see that shit?

First of all....WTF? I have NEVER seen a game end like that and am speechless (no time left on the clock yet, the Lions receive one more play, ball spotted on the one yard line due to the penalty). I watched the replay several times and I honestly do not see the pass interference (and I'm not just saying that as a Browns fan). It looked like a good defensive play to me. Because of that, I initially thought the flag was for roughing the passer as Stafford was decked at the end.

I feel robbed but that final play sums our season up perfectly.

Secondly, 24-3 in the first quarter and then you let the opponent get back into the game??? That is totally unacceptable. I guess we deserve the loss. Jesus, we suck!!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

EDIT: I re-watched that play again and again, and yes, I guess I have to eat humble pie and acknowledge that maybe there was a push causing pass interference. But, when was the last time you saw a pass interference call on a final second hail mary? :roll:

Stafford's 88 yard drive in 1'46 with no time outs brought back horrible memories of Elway doing the same thing to the Browns back in the 80's. :evil:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

hey!
Sorry. We couldn't even watch it here. It was blacked out(as well it should have been). I clicked on ESPN.Com and saw 24-3. Could not believe the Browns put 24 points up in the first quarter. not after last Monday night.
I did turn on the radio and listened to the Lions come back. That showed some balls.
I do think we are headed inh the right direction. Just hope they draft all defense(and offensive line) next year.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

No need to apologize. Take the win. You ARE headed in the right direction.

Us? Our one win of the year, thus far, comes from the ugliest game of the season, where we barely scraped by 6-3 after completing only two completions. :oops:

I read an article where the writer called this years Browns the worst team in NFL history. :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Official end to the regular season today. All things said and done, I am content with how my team finished. Especially considering how poorly we played throughout much of the season.

Super Bowl picks?

Indianapolis vs Minnesota (New Orleans are also worthy of going to the Super Bowl but they need to get their defense playing as solid as their offense does. They concede far too many points. That's why I like Minnesota).

Dark horses to watch out for: San Diego and Philadelphia. Both teams are capable of upsetting somebody (although Philly didn't look great today I think they will get their revenge next week).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Another shitty season over for the Lions. That douchebag Matt Millen has crippled this organization for years to come. They are essentially an expansion team. They had better draft exclusively for defense. I like the coach and I think the roster in Detroit will turnover by 75%. And look no further than the owner for the reasons why.

Super Bowl: San Diego vs Dallas. I think all these teams that rested players down the stretch hurt themselves and killed their momentum. Indianapolis and New Orleans. Indy should have learned from past experience. They will get knocked out in the first or second round.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Have to admit I was hoping for Boise State to lose. I live in Oregon and hear constantly throughout the season lippy Broncos fans going on and on about how great their program is. YET, no disrespect to Fresno St. etc., the WAC conference is relatively weak compared to other conferences so BSU squeaks by playing one competitive team a year (Oregon who looked rubbish back in that first game) a win allows them to go undefeated, highly ranked and into a good bowl.

BUT, that said....hats off to them. They talk the talk and they walk the walk. They DO win their bowl games. I also like their play calling. Two years ago it was the Statue of Liberty play that beat Oklahoma and this year it was the fake punt. Man, I wish the NFL ran plays like that.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I dont live that close to Idaho so all I get is the games and some sympathy because of being a non BCS school.
Plus I like their uniforms.
And their play calling.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

But that blue turf in Boise mixed with their orange uniforms is painful on the eyes! :shock:

My son was commenting on TCU's uniforms last night. We never really watched the "Horned Frogs" play before. He liked the scaly effect on their pants and helmets.

Who do you like....Alabama or Texas?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well that was fun. Gotta love those New Orleans Saints. I wish I was on Bourbon Street right now!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was out on a main street in one of San Diego's beach towns this evening and watched a drunk man with a Saints jersey running through the streets screaming "THAT JUST HAPPENED. WHOOOOOOOOO!"

So I guess they won.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yes, that was fun. In fact, the Saints vs Vikings game and the Packers vs Cardinals were the only playoff games that were truly exciting. I hope the Super Bowl lives up to its potential. Saints still have some work to do....their defense played better against the Vikings than I thought they might but they still allowed 28 points. More shockingly though is they nabbed five or six turnovers, yet their high-powered offense couldn't capitalize on them. In theory, New Orleans could have destroyed the Vikings.

They will have to play better than that if they want to beat the Colts and win it all. I'd definitely like to see the Saints do it. Good for a team that have never been to the Bowl before and who were was once the laughing stock of the league. God knows, both spzretent and I can relate to thatI
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

This was my first attempt at enjoying American Football and it was great until the purple people eaters got knocked out. BASTARDS.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

New Orleans is a great story. Why did you settle on Minnesota to root for out of curiosity?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It was a deal between me and Steve (RGC). He is a Manchester City fan and in return I am a Vikings fan.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I have to root for the Saints in today's big game. For many years, they were always amongst the dirge and bottom feeders in the NFL. They've never been to the Bowl, great for the city to reclaim some pride and selfishly, it gives me hope that ONE day maybe the Browns may get there too. :D
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Colts were useless after hald time. Enjoyed the game, wel done to the Saints. New Orleans will really benefit from this too!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

That was a great game!

James T., I disagree with you that Colts were useless after halftime....the onside kick call to start the second half was genius and caught Indianapolis off guard. Saints defense also adjusted somewhat in the second half and were able to read plays better. Still, Colts moved the ball up and down the field pretty well.

In the end, Colts were beat by the onside kick, the interception and Drew Brees. That dude has been a stud all season and he deserves the championship. Great for New Orleans. Party central tonight.

Go Browns!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

All smiles here. I just wanted to see a close game at halftime. Gutsy call on 4th and goal at the end of the 1st half.
Gutsier call with the onside kick to start the 2nd half.
So happy New Orleans won. So happy!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Well, the BBC report said it was a cracker (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 491183.stm). What an amazing and richly deserved achievement for New Orleans.

Oh, and what was the half time performance by the Who like at half time?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It was like the who but 40 years too late
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yes, agree with the Who. They performed a medley of songs...all shortened to fit within the 15-20 min. slot they had. Old, aging rockers and a bit tired. Daltry can no longer hit those notes nor scream like he once could (not that one would expect him to). Classic band but they have had their day and I personally would prefer to remember them then rather than now.

Stage show/lights and lasers were impressive though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ads wrote:Well, the BBC report said it was a cracker (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 491183.stm). What an amazing and richly deserved achievement for New Orleans.

Oh, and what was the half time performance by the Who like at half time?

It really was a great game. Riveting right to the very end. The underdog won!
The New Orleans Saints could have abandoned the city and moved anywhere and no one would have said a word after Katrina. They didn't. And the bond between the people of that region and the football team became incredibly strong.
Fantastic.

The Who?

A Mess. It was sort of pathetic.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If you want a gigantic spontaneous moment from this years Super Bowl click on this you tube link. Recorded as New Orleans effectively ended the game....in a New Orleans bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0LEBo_4RUA
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My son and I were watching the game at a sports pub too and everybody up here in Portland seemed to be pulling for the Saints too. People were pretty happy when that interception came.

Congrats to the people, city and team of New Orleans. They earned it as they played pretty awesome ball all year. Their defense was, at times this season, vulnerable but ironically it was their defense that stepped up when they needed it most. I'm not a supporter of the team but I have never minded the Saints so by mid-season when it was obvious Cleveland's season was over I was hoping to see New Orleans go all the way. Good for them.

That said, the Browns play the Saints next season. So watch out Brees...we're comin' to get ya and we will have no mercy! :wink:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Spzretent, Detroit picked up two great players in the first round of the 2010 draft. Your first pick, Ndamukong Suh is from Portland so my city took great interest in his draft pick. We remember reading about him in the Oregonian's coverage of high school football and we're very proud of how well he has done in Nebraska and now to be the #2 pick in the NFL. Also, Jahvid Best being from the PAC-10 I've seen him play...he's a great RB. Suh was expected, but the trade to Minnesota to get the pick for Best was very clever. You guys did well!

Browns grabbed Joe Haden, cornerback out of Florida. I like the thinking. We need to toughen up on defense. We have been very active in the off-season so I'll be interested to see who we go for tomorrow in #2-3 rounds.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I had no idea we traded up to get Best until this morning. We need a good RB. Hopefully that will help. Suh everyone here is really excited about. He was the pick 80% of Lions fans wanted at #2. He seems like a great person too. Lions have really been active this off season. Things may finally be changing in Detroit.
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

You won't be disappointed with Jahvid Best, one of the best backs in the nation. Also, DeSean Jackson ( also from Cal ) ain't doing to badly for the Philly Eagles.

The Niners solidified their O-line with the first two picks in the first round ( smart and safe move ). There was some talk that they might pick up Dez Bryant from Okie St., but I don't know if I would pick him, he seems to have some personal issues to work out ?

Still suprised that Jimmy Clausen is still on the board, I'd thought he would perhaps go Top 10.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm so psyched for next year! Browns grabbed Colt McCoy today as well safety TJ Ward, RB out of Tenn. and a guard out of AZ State. TJ Ward comes out of Oregon, know him well as a player. He is a great safety. Clearly our Pres. and GM felt the need to beef up our secondary as those were our #1 and #2 picks. Clausen was already gone when we chose a QB, but we could have taken Clausen before the safety position. Clearly Holmgren sees something in McCoy that he liked over both Clausen and Tony Pike.

I feel VERY good about where we are headed. .500 next season is my goal anything above that is a dream. To end with a better record than the Steelers also is, and will always be, #1 priority!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ok, so only two more pre-season friendlies on the schedule before the Sept. 12th start of the regular season!

I'm personally very excited and looking forward to the season. A good draft, key trades and a new front office gives me some optimisim for my Browns. Still, looking at our season I will be very happy with 7 wins, ecstatic with 8 but content with 6. Within 2-3 years I hope to see Cleveland in the playoffs.

Spzretent, much has been written about the Lions, Stafford, Suh, the past two draft years etc. I reckon Detroit will continue to improve. Minnesota and Green Bay are the teams to beat in your division but if you play the cards right you could give the Bears a threat. Brownies and Lions actually play pre-season game this Saturday.

Anybody willing to make some bold predictions before we kick off on Sept. 12?

On paper it looks to me like NY Jets, Indianapolis and Baltimore may be teams to beat in AFC.

With Favre returning and barring he does not get injured, I think Minnesota will be the team to beat in the NFC. Green Bay and San Francisco look good too, however. I think that New Orleans' Super Bowl run may have been a one off but they should still make it to the playoffs.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

DISCLAIMER- I dont pretend to know that much about football(NFL) outside of what I hear on local sports radio but here goes:
AFC- San Diego
NFC- New Orleans
I hope the Lions do well. On paper it appears they have not only drafted well but signed some players that will definitely help. But its still in the back of my mind that the GM worked under one Matt Millen.
I think the lkong suffering fans of Detroit could use a shot in the arm where the Lions are concerned. I gave up long ago. Not to say I wouldn't jump back on the bandwagon. But they have to be consistently better than the previous oh 10 or 20 years. I suppose we could make the 50+ years.
Good luck with the Browns.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Matt Millen is the curse of the Lions. You do have a good coach though and I think their worst is behind them. But, much works still needs to be done.

I don't know about the Saints. They will definitely be good but I'm not convinced they will repeat last years glory. We'll see.

San Diego, huh? They have always been there but can't seem to get the job done. Much of it in that division will depend on how Denver does because the Raiders are a train wreck and Kansas City, like Cleveland and Detroit, are rebuilding and looking towards the future. Houston tho, might be an underdog. But, every year I think that about Houston and every year they seem to only go 8-8. :roll:

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to both pro and college football's season beginning. Hopefully, I'm not the only one in here who is. Otherwise I'll be talking to myself. But, it wouldn't be the first time.... :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Amazingly, the Browns vs Lions preseason friendly is on tv here! So inbetween cutting the lawn and a few other garden jobs I'm able to catch some of it. Impressive first drive by Detroit. Jahvid Best is going to be a winner for you guys. Stafford too is going to do well. I think the Lions will struggle to compete with Green Bay and Minnesota but third place in the division should be a realistic goal and a massive improvement.

I don't follow the Spartans as closely but good luck with your season.

POST GAME EDIT:

:evil: :evil:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

"Are you ready for some football?!" The NFL season is finally here and I am psyched.

There were some good college games in the first two weeks of the season and some fun upsets but there were far too many lopsided non-competitive games as well. There's nothing exciting about watching a team win 72-0.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

AAAARGGGGHHH! Please somebody...anybody, put me out of my misery. For fuck's sake!!

Spzretent, I feel your pain. But at least yours isn't self inflicted.

:evil: :cry:
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Fucking what did we learn today?

The DETROIT LIONS still suck cock !

0-21 on the road !

Still breaking GUINNESS BOOK records for losing !

disgusted.
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The Lions were ROBBBLED!

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It could be argued that the Cowboys were robbed*, but it was a pretty obvious penalty.

* = only Cowboys fans would argue against that call.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Cowboys fans can cry all they want but they definitely weren't robbed. Their tackle mauled the Redskins defensive end. Had he not held him Romo wouldn't have even got the pass off. Good call by the refs.