Levitation

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sm-iom
Known user

Levitation

Post by sm-iom »

Whilst queuing for Ross Noble tickets this morning, found myself flicking through the iPod, and re-acquainting myself with Levitation.

They supported SPZ at my greatest gig ever (Coventry Tic Toc (92-93?)), and could have blown SPZ off the stage - apart from Jason stepped up further still. Similar happened a year or so previously, when I saw SPZ joint-headline with Mercury Rev at Cov Poly - SPZ had a lot to live up to coming on second, but managed it...

Anyway, I fell in love with Levitation after that gig, although they didn't last long. Terry Bickers carried on being bonkers, left the band, and more or less the music scene - although rejoined The House of Love a few years back.

What I'm after though is any sort of link / lead, to their infamous(?) never released second album, Meanwhile Gardens. It was part released with a new vocalist - but my friend Google implies that the original Bickers recording may be floating around in cyberspace somewhere. All I can find are a few tracks on Myspace - has anyone got any leads??

Many thanks
sm-iom
niamhm
Known user

Re: Levitation

Post by niamhm »

Ah ,Levitation now they`re early ep`s were f8ckin` awesome ,may have to dig out Coterie later and give it a whirl for old times sake.
btw did Ross Noble really have a queue for tickets?... their you go eh..in this interweb age I can`t remember the last time I actually queued for tickets.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Hah...

In the good old Isle of Man, if a performer is going to be really popular (ie sell out quickly, as we only have fairly small venues) the internet sales site they use crashes - so, they do walk-up only, plus a couple of manned phone lines - so, the queue starts early...

They learned this lesson when approx 40,000 attempts were made to buy Kaiser Chiefs tickets online, for a 1,500 seat venue...

sm-iom
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Actually I think a public sale is the best way ,you know ,you make the effort you get the tickets unlike some online lottery`s where touts and other f8ckin lowlife get the tickets with the intention of ripping you of.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Wow! Levitation. I saw them 3 times in 2 days at one of the 90's New Music Seminars in NYC. Each show got better. Fantastic live band. Never really got into the records though.
Also saw an early House Of Love show in Brighton w/Terry Bickers. They were also amazing live. It was like a hurricane or something.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

sm-iom wrote:They supported SPZ at my greatest gig ever (Coventry Tic Toc (92-93?)), and could have blown SPZ off the stage - apart from Jason stepped up further still.
Appears we were at the same gig, my 2 favourite bands on the same bill, wasn't going to miss that one!
sm-iom wrote:What I'm after though is any sort of link / lead, to their infamous(?) never released second album, Meanwhile Gardens.
Ah, Meanwhile Gardens, intended to be two albums released 6 months apart, Meanwhile Gardens Spring and MG Autumn. After Terry's departure most of the tracks destined for MG Spring (plus some additions) did come out (only released in Australia) with Steve Ludwin from Some Have Fins on vocal duties, then they called it a day.
sm-iom wrote:the original Bickers recording may be floating around in cyberspace somewhere. All I can find are a few tracks on Myspace - has anyone got any leads??
:wink: PM me

Post by sm-iom »

Sim wrote:

PM sent (I think :? , I'm rubbish at some of this!)
burningwheel_2
New user

Post by burningwheel_2 »

had to re-register as this forum sux in regards to sending new password. can you PM me the link? I can't seem to PM
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

burningwheel_2 wrote:had to re-register as this forum sux in regards to sending new password. can you PM me the link? I can't seem to PM
Soory, don't get it - but it was a late night / early morning. Are you Sim in disguise, and what link?

Ta
sm-iom
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

sm-iom wrote:
burningwheel_2 wrote:had to re-register as this forum sux in regards to sending new password. can you PM me the link? I can't seem to PM
Soory, don't get it - but it was a late night / early morning. Are you Sim in disguise, and what link?

Ta
sm-iom
Ha Ha..."Confusion"... :lol: And a "bump"; hope y'all get sorted.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

I saw the band the rest of "Levitation" formed after Bickers went bonkers in a pub in Bristol. I think they were called "Dark Star". Absolutely brutal gig, one of the few where I could feel my chest being punched inwards by the force of the sound coming through from the stage. Awesome. The drummer was just incredible. I wonder what happened to them?
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
burningwheel_2
New user

Post by burningwheel_2 »

sm-iom wrote:

Ta
sm-iom[/quote?

for levitation tracks
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

sm-iom wrote:

Ta
sm-iom
Nope I'm still me. Sorry, had issues with broadband connection today and my attempts to upload keep aborting. Let me try and get this upload sorted and then I'll PM interested parties.

Post by runcible »

throb wrote:I saw the band the rest of "Levitation" formed after Bickers went bonkers in a pub in Bristol. I think they were called "Dark Star". Absolutely brutal gig, one of the few where I could feel my chest being punched inwards by the force of the sound coming through from the stage. Awesome. The drummer was just incredible. I wonder what happened to them?
That's right. Dark Star went on had fairly decent success - they even had a couple of UK top 50 singles - from 1998-200, and have an unreleased album buried in the EMI vaults somewhere.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Dark Star got onto Top of the Pops with their biggest success Graceadelica. Really was a shame they didn't continue, that core of Levitation were astounding when they were on form, whether as Levitation or Dark Star. I believe that their unreleased 2nd album is around somewhere under the name 'Zurich'.

Dave Francolini (drummer) is still out there, Dragons is his current project. Incredible drummer.

Christian (Bic) Hayes was last seen as tour guitarist for Pet Shop Boys a few years ago, has also released his own stuff under the name Mikrokosmos.

Laurence O'Keefe (Bass) - has toured with Martina Topley-Bird

Robert White (Levitation keys) - Milk and Honey Band

Terry Bickers, as someone else pointed out, recently made up with Guy Chadwick and release & toured another House of Love album. Post Levitation he formed Cradle which also included (his partner?) Caroline Tree, described as having the worst voice in the world - I bought the album, I wouldn't describe her voice as the worst I've heard but it wasn't good, nice guitar work from Bickers though.

Post by spunder »

Dark Star....a truly wonderful band, AMAZING live.....wish i'd seen Levitation, never got the opportunity though. if anyone has a copy of Zurich, Dark Star's unreleased 2nd album i'd kill for a copy. such a shame they split....Mr O'Keefe once informed me that it was all the drummers fault....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spunder wrote:Dark Star....a truly wonderful band, AMAZING live.....wish i'd seen Levitation, never got the opportunity though.
I saw them supporting Spiritualized at Hackney Empire and was really disappointed. I loved their early EPs but found their live performance confusing and disjointed. I think that was right at the end though.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runcible wrote:
spunder wrote:Dark Star....a truly wonderful band, AMAZING live.....wish i'd seen Levitation, never got the opportunity though.
I saw them supporting Spiritualized at Hackney Empire and was really disappointed. I loved their early EPs but found their live performance confusing and disjointed. I think that was right at the end though.
hmmm, i have a live recording from '92, and yes it does sound very messy, but sometimes i like that in a live show. the three times i saw darkstar they were kind of the same ....bit messy and disjointed but then that made it quite exhilarating, wasnt quite sure what was going to happen next....but then i was whacked out of one's gourd.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sim wrote: Laurence O'Keefe (Bass) - has toured with Martina Topley-Bird
Saw Lawrence play a gig with Brendan Perry from Dead Can Dance in a very small local boozer sometime in the 90s, got talking to him afterwards and he seemed very surprised that i knew he had played with Levitation. Nice chap.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

sunray wrote:Nice chap.
yep, i bought soulkissglidedivine with oil pack intact off him last year. he was a good laugh.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

I'd just like to say that this is the best thread ever, and that I'm glad I started it!!

A big thank you to Sim for contributions :D

sm-iom
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Sim wrote:
sm-iom wrote:They supported SPZ at my greatest gig ever (Coventry Tic Toc (92-93?)), and could have blown SPZ off the stage - apart from Jason stepped up further still.
Appears we were at the same gig, my 2 favourite bands on the same bill, wasn't going to miss that one!
sm-iom wrote:What I'm after though is any sort of link / lead, to their infamous(?) never released second album, Meanwhile Gardens.
Ah, Meanwhile Gardens, intended to be two albums released 6 months apart, Meanwhile Gardens Spring and MG Autumn. After Terry's departure most of the tracks destined for MG Spring (plus some additions) did come out (only released in Australia) with Steve Ludwin from Some Have Fins on vocal duties, then they called it a day.
sm-iom wrote:the original Bickers recording may be floating around in cyberspace somewhere. All I can find are a few tracks on Myspace - has anyone got any leads??
Well that was three of us at that thoses gigs then. I quite liked the first band at the Tic Toc, Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations too but Levitation were something/somewhere else. If I remember correctly Levitation called it a day just weeks after that gig.
burningwheel_2
New user

Post by burningwheel_2 »

sounds amazing so far. thanks!

found this on an unofficial myspace site, so seems there is more..i guess there was a fan club only live cassette, anyone have this?

MEANWHILE GARDENS (BICKERS VOCALS):
Food for Power
Even When Your Eyes Are Open
Garden's Overflowing
Magnifying Glass
The King of Mice
Bodiless
Greymouth
Going Faster
All At Sea

MEANWHILE GARDENS (LUDWIN VOCALS) (Australia):
Garden's Overflowing
King of Mice
Under Stone
Chain by Day
Food for Powder
All At Sea
Even When Your Eyes Are Open
Greymouth
Life Going Faster

MEANWHILE GARDENS - AUTUMN (BICKERS VOCALS):
I Believe
Neither Odd Nor Even
Unknown Title
Burroughs
Cutwater
Imagine the Sharks(w Bickers vocals)
Sacred Lover (not the BBC v)
Twice
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i guess there is a demo tape out their as well. would love to get that as well
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

MEANWHILE GARDENS (LUDWIN VOCALS) (Australia): - Tracks are musically the same as on the Bickers version (with the exception of Chain By Day and Under Stone which were probably recorded post-bickers. King of Mice has a shorter ending. I'll dig out the CD and up it at some point over the next few days.

Live tape - yep, got this, Reading Uni, 1992 - will take me a while to get this onto my computer but will give it a go when I get chance.

Ditto for the demo tape.

Post by johnnyboy »

The only thing I've got by these is a Rough Trade singles club 7" from about 1991 sometime. Called Squirrel.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Sim wrote:
Live tape - yep, got this, Reading Uni, 1992 - will take me a while to get this onto my computer but will give it a go when I get chance.

Ditto for the demo tape.

Live and demo would be great, whenever you get the chance!

sm-iom
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I saw Darkstar once. It was at the Garage in London. They were supporting someone... can't remember who now. Maybe Mercury Rev - it was just after Deserter's Song had been released. This could have been the gig? Not sure. They sounded good to me, and I did buy their album. Wasn't that impressed with it, I thought they were much better live.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

re live and demos...sweet. can you upload flacs as well as mp3s of those. always loved levitation
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

anyone have the radio sessions they did?
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Bic Hayes sang and played guitar in a band called Panixsphere when I was a teenager who played around the Twickenham area. They played a gig on the same night as Live Aid at the St Mary’s Church hall.

Amazing what you remember really. :D
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

For any interested parties:

Levitation, Reading University, 29th February 1992 (Fan Club Tape)

http://www.zshare.net/download/73110975bef0a18b/

mp3s for the moment. Will upload FLACs when I get chance.

Post by sm-iom »

And another huge thank you to Sim. Decent enough quality, but most importantly captures band's energy / freeform...

sm-iom
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Couple of things re the live recording.

Setlist picture at

http://www.mandiapple.com/LevitDSCardipix5.htm (bottom right)

- assume this graphic may have come with cassette?

There seems to be an issue with final track. Two minutes from the end, Paid in Kind stops suddenly, and Mantra starts. Would have expected Mantra to be intro music, not outro. Not sure is this a cassette or MP3 issuem and no huge concerns, as beggars can't be choosers, and eternally grateful for anything!!

sm-iom
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Top share (despite the Paid in Kind issue mentioned above) and some nice HoL and Bunnymen tributes in there too (I spotted Salome and Happy Death Men)! :D
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

sm-iom wrote:Setlist picture at

http://www.mandiapple.com/LevitDSCardipix5.htm (bottom right)

- assume this graphic may have come with cassette?
That setlist didn't come with the cassette. I'll scan the cassette cover in and post it up when I get a moment later tonight. It's *extremely* similar to the MBV Loveless cover.
sm-iom wrote:There seems to be an issue with final track. Two minutes from the end, Paid in Kind stops suddenly, and Mantra starts. Would have expected Mantra to be intro music, not outro. Not sure is this a cassette or MP3 issuem and no huge concerns, as beggars can't be choosers, and eternally grateful for anything!!
I actually ripped this from the cassette the other evening so this is exactly how it is on the cassette, with the explosion and then into Mantra. Not sure why, could be the original tape used to record the gig ran out, could be they messed up the end of Paid In Kind (I had heard them mess it up slightly before), could be they just wanted to do it that way. They did sometime use Mantra as intro and outro, but here it sounds more like the recorded version rather than an actual outro from the gig.

Post by Sim »

mh wrote:Top share (despite the Paid in Kind issue mentioned above) and some nice HoL and Bunnymen tributes in there too (I spotted Salome and Happy Death Men)! :D
Reference to Michael Franti/Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy in there too (TV drug of the nation....)

It was a real blast digging this out again (and the demos, will post those up here soon), can't have listened to it in 10 years. One of the things I loved about seeing them live was the ramblings of Bickers (sometimes a little contrived admittedly, sometimes pure randomness) and also Dave Francolini who used to utter gibberish through his drum mics (Where's your chicken then?).

Post by burningwheel »

thanks so much! looking forward to demos and flacs

still looking for radio sessions...
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Thought this is an interesting link, if you're wondering what Terry Bickers is up to now....

http://www.montanarain.co.uk/

sm-iom
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

That is just surreal. At first I though it was a namesake, then I saw the photos.

Post by Echo Warrior »

yeeeeehaaaaaaahhhhhhhh its the Woolpackers :lol:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

sm-iom wrote:Thought this is an interesting link, if you're wondering what Terry Bickers is up to now....

http://www.montanarain.co.uk/

sm-iom
wtf?!?!
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Holy. Cow. :shock:
Our varied backgrounds in Indie ..... Terry Bickers is a member of 80's cult indie band House of Love
How can I sleep when my barn's on fire?
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Really sorry for the delay on this.

OK, first to wrap up the Live Cassette, this is the cover:
Levitation_Live_small.jpg
Levitation_Live_small.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 20574 times
Full size version can be downloaded here: http://www.zshare.net/image/7336029920debd21/

MP3s of the Demos cassette here: http://www.zshare.net/download/733601428777d430/

This is the cover:
Levitation_Demos_small.jpg
Levitation_Demos_small.jpg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 20574 times
which can be downloaded here: http://www.zshare.net/image/733602387b592600/

I have FLACs of both cassettes but my upload speeds are so slow that I can't upload at the moment. If anyone wants the direct rips from the cassette, PM me with an addy and I'll post out CDs.

Post by sm-iom »

More brilliant work, many thanks (and no need to apologise for the delay!)

sm-iom
reborn
New user

Post by reborn »

Hi!!! Thanks for your kinf work Sim!!!
My problem is that I have "Meanwhile Gardens" bickers songs (I don't know if its all the album or not), but I have songs that don't have names and I can't find info about track times, etc. I have the Ludwin one on mp3 too I guessed the tracks that are equal on both and that are on the myspaces that where named but I still have a lot without the info.
Can someone please post the complete "Meanwhile Gardens" autumn/summer tracklisting with track times, etc?
Thanks a lot!!! Levitation was sucha great band!
Saludos
Reborn
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

reborn wrote: Can someone please post the complete "Meanwhile Gardens" autumn/summer tracklisting with track times, etc?

Reborn
i think i did that earlier n in this thread, no? not with times though
reborn
New user

Post by reborn »

burningwheel wrote:
i think i did that earlier n in this thread, no? not with times though
Hi!!! I think that you pointed to the myspace that has this info but the thing is: I have one cd with 14 tracks (all meanwhile bickers) and another with 17 (of them I have all non meanwhile identified and 3 or 4 that supposedly are from meanwhile). I need the track times to identify first if my guessings are rigth and then to identify wich track is wich according to their times.
A pretty investigation isn't it?! :D
Saludos and thanks for the pacience.
Reborn
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Meanwhile Gardens (Summer) - Bickers vocals
Food For Powder 4:58
Even When Your Eyes Are Open 4:56
Garden's Overflowing 3:11
Magnifying Glass 6:58
King of Mice 8:34
Bodiless 4:59
Greymouth 4:00
Life Going Faster 3:36
All At Sea 3:36

Meanwhile Gardens (Autumn) - Bickers vocals
I Believe 8:40
Neither Odd Nor Even 6:12
Unknown 1 7:31
Burroughs 4:57
Cutwater 4:13
Unknown 2 7:15
Imagine The Sharks 6:12
Sacred Lover 5:05
Twice (Instrumental) 2:56

Meanwhile Gardens - Ludwin vocals
Garden's Overflowing 3:03
King of Mice 7:06
Under Stone 5:25
Chain By Day 3:57
Food For Powder 4:56
All at Sea 3:36
Even When Your Eyes Are Open 4:51
Greymouth 4:20
Life Going Faster 3:40

Some of the tracks which appear on both Ludwin and Bickers versions differ in length. WIth King of Mice this is because the Bickers version has an extended ending. For the others it's probably just because they were recorded from different sources. Unfortunately there are still 2 tracks with unknown titles.

Post by reborn »

You are AWESOME!!!!

Summer I got it RIGHT.I have my doubts with Autumn since I not have tracks in the proper order on both of them.
I throw some of my guesses:
If Burroughs is the 4:57 one (here http://www.musocity.com/levitation/ listed Burrows/Burroughs as a 7:31 minute song... the same you have as Unknown 1). Maybe he is wrong. If this is the case maybe the 7:15 song that you have as Unknown 2 isn't "Heart of the home" from the Ludwin's King of mice single???
I'm still in the fog but maybe we can finish the puzzle.
I'm in contact with my scot friend that send me the recordings. He promised to shed some light but he told me that the story of the recording of Meanwhile Gardens was a LONG and complicated one.
I'll be reading!!!
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!
Saludos
Reborn

I'll add the supposed tracklisting of My cd's so you can see they are pretty screwed:

1) Cd Meanwhile Gardens

Food for Power 04:59 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
Even When Your Eyes Are Open 04:58 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
Imagine The Sharks 06:13 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
I Believe 08:42 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
Bodiless 05:01 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
Unknown 1 or Burrows/Burroughs (according to Musocity) 07:33 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
Magnifying Glass 07:00 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
King Of Mice 08:36 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
Garden's Overflowing 03:13 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
Sacred Lover 05:07 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
Greymouth 04:01 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
Life Going Faster 03:37 Meanwhile Gardens - Summer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mantra?!?!?!? 03:37 Even When Your Eyes Are Open EP
Evergreen 04:26 Even When Your Eyes Are Open EP

2) Cd Rarities y B-sides

Jay 02:53 World Around EP B-side
Usher 05:10 World Around EP B-side
Purgatory 03:51 World Around EP B-side
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred Lover 02:32 BBC Radio Session 1 version
Cutwater 04:14 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn (or 7" version)
Twice 02:58 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
Cloud Shine 01:52 Volume 3 Magazine exclusive track
Heart Of The Home (???) 07:08 King Of Mice 12" CD
Unknown title or Hieronymous Bop ???? (Instrumental track) 03:06 BBC Radio Session 1 version
Imagine The Sharks 06:06 King Of Mice 12" CD
Neither Odd Nor Even (Instrumental track) ???? 06:14 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
Unknown title 2 (Instrumental track) ?????? 06:14 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
Burrows (Burroughs) (Instrumental track) ???? 04:59 Meanwhile Gardens - Autumn
Smile 07:28 MCA Demo No.2
Paid In Kind 04:02 MCA Demo No.2
Rosemary Jones 05:08 MCA Demo No.2
Attached 05:43 After Ever EP 12" CD
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

It could well be that Unknown 1 and Burroughs are mixed up on my copy. I got my copy of these from the guy who set up that myspace site and there was another slight anomaly in that Unknown 2 was included at the end of Cutwater rather than as an additional track which I guess is why Unknown 2 isn't listed on the myspace page.

If possible I'd love to get a copy of a few things from your 2nd CD:

Purgatory (never been able to track down the US World Around 12" to find a copy of this track)
Heart of the Home (also can't find a copy of the King of Mice CD single anywhere)
Imagine the Sharks (Ludwin version)
Sacred Lover (session version)
Hieronymous Bop (session track) - if I remember this was just Terry and Bob White playing on this session
The MCA Demos of Smile, Paid In Kind and Rosemary Jones.

I've been desperately turning out my cupboards looking for an old tape I have which has 3 of the tracks from the Radio 1 session with Mark Goodier (Pieces of Mary, Evergreen and Resist, missed Hangnail unfortunately). Can't find it though - the search will continue.

Absolutely love Cloud Shine on the Volume CD - Later on I'll post a copy up for those who are interested.

I've also unfortunately managed to misplace some bootleg cassettes which have live versions of the unreleased tracks Sweaty Thing (used to be an opener live), Big Chord Melody and another untitled track that they played in their set at Reading '92(?)

Post by sm-iom »

Sim wrote:....

If possible I'd love to get a copy of a few things from your 2nd CD:

Purgatory (never been able to track down the US World Around 12" to find a copy of this track)
Heart of the Home (also can't find a copy of the King of Mice CD single anywhere)
Imagine the Sharks (Ludwin version)
Sacred Lover (session version)
Hieronymous Bop (session track) - if I remember this was just Terry and Bob White playing on this session
The MCA Demos of Smile, Paid In Kind and Rosemary Jones.

Absolutely love Cloud Shine on the Volume CD - Later on I'll post a copy up for those who are interested.

I've also unfortunately managed to misplace some bootleg cassettes which have live versions of the unreleased tracks Sweaty Thing (used to be an opener live), Big Chord Melody and another untitled track that they played in their set at Reading '92(?)
Would love, as well, any of the above that any kind soul can upload...

Feels like a one-way street, I've got nothing to offer in return, other than thanks!!

sm-iom
Last edited by sm-iom on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

would love to get cd rarities, too many kind soul on this forum
reborn
New user

Post by reborn »

i know how it feels like searching for this things endlessly so I'll try to do something on the coming weeks!!!!!!
hokusai
Known user

Post by hokusai »

The track in Muso City called Burrows is actually called Heavy Roller. Burroughs (4.59) is an instrumental listed as being on MGAutumn. The track Sacred Lover is a studio version (not Radio 1 Session). To be honest, most of what is regarded as being MG Autumn looks incorrect and more like a cutnpaste compilation of material from different times and sessions. as far as I'm aware, Sacred Lover was recorded around the time of Need for Not sessions, Cutwater is obviously from the previous Rough Trade Need for Not single that came as a freebie with the album and wasn't rerecorded for Meanwhile. Twice is also from a previous session outwith the MG recordings (Sept 92 session for new single that didn't materialise). I also believe that Burroughs and Neither Odd Nor Even are from The Barn Sessions which was a side project featuring everyone but Terry. So this raises a lot of questions regarding what is actually on MG autumn. Hope this helps and doesn't make your mind feel clear as mud... cheers.
hokusai
Known user

Post by hokusai »

Figured out a couple of things for you Reborn. Heart of the Home is actually called Faultless (07.08) and the track you have listed as Unknown/Hieronymous Bop is actually Holy Island (03.06) - both are from the Chain By Day EP on Festival Records (Australia). The King of Mice EP (Ludwin) released in Germany has Imagine The Sharks and Heart of the Home (06.11) as B sides. I think the above illustrates why a definitive MG tracklisting is a very perplexing kettle of coconuts; when you take into account that there were new recordings when Terry left (the above and Under Stone etc on the Ludwin version)), older unreleased material wrongly (so I believe) included in MGAutumn tracklisting and the real probability that a tracklisting hadn't been decided upon for the MGAutumn release anyway(Terry left in May) !!!!!!!????

The material recorded as side projects The Barn Sessions/Departure Lounge seems to fit the bill of Burroughs/Neither OddNor Even - described as being akin to Talk Talk (Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock era) which I would say it does!?!!!!! Was this really going to be on MG Autumn - who can say but it certainly doesn't have the 'feel' of the rest of MG... but it does sound Autumnal!!!!????? arghh ...

One other thing... on the bootleg of the Hackney Empire Gig with Spiritualised there are 2 songs I haven't heard anywhere else... I have them listed as Bedlandings and Take It to the Fridge (Terry's jokey introduction to the song!) which are full on in your face Lev Blitzkriegs!!! Were these recorded??!! I know not...

Slainte
hokusai
Known user

Post by hokusai »

I will try and upload Radio Sessions for those interested. The BBC Goodier one with Resist, Hangnail, Evergreen and Pieces of Mary. I also have a Radio Session from June 1991 aired the day before the ICA gig - the first time I had the pleasure of being blown away!!! the tracklist for the above is Against Nature, Firefly, Rosemary Jones, Nadine, Paid In Kind, Squirrel and Bedlam. I'm assuming it was aired on a local London station and the DJ sounds suspiciously like the guy that is on with Steve Wright in the afternoon at the moment!!! It's rather amusing as he constantly fucks up the song titles "okay this is Levitation with Asconia..." Terry:"...it's Firefly actually!". "Right, here's Levitation with Against All Odds...did I say that correct?" Terry:"...It's actually called Against Nature!!"...

All the best
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Hokusai, you are a star!!

Don't worry about adding to the complexity of song names, running orders etc - any light shed is better than none.

Even better still is your offer of uploads - anything BBC, or bootleg related gratefully received..

Many thanks

sm-iom
hokusai
Known user

Re: Levitation - Mark Goodier Radio Session 1992

Post by hokusai »

Again, enjoy!!! Pieces of Mary is absolutely mindblowing - as usual. I can remember this going out on air and it sounded so incongruous next to the rest of the playlist!!!! I'm sure Goodier mumbled something like "wow, very intense! and now the new single from The Farm!!" haha!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/739825141cef0b03/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/73982544bd10f41e/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/739825045fe04614/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/739825264d779c59/
hokusai
Known user

Re: Levitation - More from the Vaults!

Post by hokusai »

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7398298036ba8e6e/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/7398295168f71503/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/739831675c765488/

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7398318226cf00ca/

Here are Purgatory, Imagine the Sharks (Ludwin), Heart of the Home and Cloud Shine. I have never managed to come across the session with just Terry n Bob or the MCA demos listed above but I do have early demos for It's Time and Against Nature which are obviously not on the Fanclub Demos. Does anyone have any live bootlegs, I have a few of varying quality... salou the noo...
sm-iom
Known user

Re: Levitation - Radio Session June 1991

Post by sm-iom »

Fantastic - many thanks!!

Just one thing - track 1 not linked above. There are 2 links for Rosemary (the second and third links), so think cut and paste didn't work for the missing one (can you post that link?). Firefly seems to be track 5, although final link, so originally thought it was track 5, not 1 missing. Fantastic upload for first time attempt!

sm-iom
reborn
New user

Post by reborn »

Hey!!! Mr. Hokusai!!!... so the enigmas are almost solved.
I have only one doubt. You say that the Sacred Lover "short version" is a studio version, so then, the Sacred Lover (5:07) where is from??!?!?
It seems that the only track that no one has is Hieronymous Bop apparently.
Saludos amigos, and many thanks!!!!!!!
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Many thanks hokusai and reborn for helping fill in all these gaps. Thanks for those amazing uploads hokusai, wasn't ever aware of that 1991 radio session.

Thanks for the PMs reborn - sorry for the lack of response, very busy couple of weeks.

Hokusai, I'd agree with your assessment that the tracks gathered together as "MG autumn" is in fact more a collection of odds and ends (although I'd imagine at least I Believe and Imagine the sharks were intended for that release). Interesting that some of the tracks originate from the 'barn sessions'. I remember at some point bic or dave mentioned in a fan club mailing that these might actually get released properly at some point. Seeing as that was some 17 years ago now I think hope is fading.

My hopes were raised a couple of years back when Dave did suggest (somewhere on the web) that a proper release of MG as it was initially intended was under discussion. I note that there is a facebook group dedicated to getting Beggars Banquet to properly release the recordings (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=1 ... topic=4800). Not sure how Beggars ended up with the rights to the tracks?

Post by hokusai »

http://www.zshare.net/audio/739820831177cfef/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/7398206140e8d7db/

This hopefully should be the rest of the 91 radio session. Bedlam and Paid in Kind which segues into Nadine.

Pablo Reborn, saludos!!! The other version (the shorter of the 2) of Sacred Lover is actually the original by Colenso Parade, Terry's band pre-House of Love!!!! I will post it for others to hear and for you to confirm if the mystery is solved!!!! MD
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

hokusai wrote:
.....Paid in Kind which segues into Nadine.
An excellent upload, many thanks. Had expected one song, but got two for the price of one!!

sm-iom