Natty Booker Exhibition July 15th - Hoxton bar and Grill

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

simonkeeping
Known user

Natty Booker Exhibition July 15th - Hoxton bar and Grill

Post by simonkeeping »

just had this email come in:

Hi ,
Will Carruthers here ...I have some news .
I have recently been promoting the art of my friend Natty Brooker . He created the artwork for the albums "Lazer guided melodies" and "Recurring",played drums on the sound of confusion
and was a key influence on the whole spacemen 3 aesthetic . .
Natty also has terminal bone cancer.
For those of you who have signed up for the limited edition signed and strictly limited prints , we are pleased to announce that these are now available for purchase .
please go to:
http://www.nattybrooker.co.uk/gallery.html
Where you will find all the details you need, and more information about his work .
We also have a very limited number of original works of Natty's for sale .
Anybody who is interested in details for this should contact me directly through
this email address: willbcarruthers@gmail.com .
We have two upcoming exhibitions of Natty's work.
15 th of July at Hoxton bar and kitchen In London .
Featuring live music and dj's
with Guest appearances from Gruff Rhys , Sonic Boom , Dan Treacy and a host of ex spacemen , and surprise guests . This is as close as you'll get to a spacemen 3 reunion ...trust me .

17th of July ...
Smart art galleries in Sheffield ...
featuring more of the same kind of psychedelic shenanigans.
3 dimensional tanx , me , other stuff
The previous shows in Berlin , Copenhagen , LA and Glasgow have been great nights . So ...if you can make it , you might like it .
Any of you that want music news ...well ...I helped out on the last Jonestown album , I'm living in Berlin and I might get round to some gigs and a new album once this stuff is out of the way .
Thanks for your time
Will Carruthers
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
plastic37
Known user

Re: Natty Booker Exhibition July 15th - Hoxton bar and Grill

Post by plastic37 »

An expanded version of this information includes the line:
"members of the 'out-there' rock fraternity" which i love.
Heavy Tourism
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

This looks like its going to be quite a night. Though I'm not sure about the possible Spacemen 3 reunion that Sonic Cathedral seem to be running with in the e-mail I got from them:-

Even though there's not much Sonic Cathedral activity this month, there are still plenty of things you can do to keep busy...

*** This Thursday (July 15) there will be an exhibition of the incredible psychedelic artwork of Natty Brooker, formerly of Spacemen 3 and the man responsible for the iconic cover designs of 'Recurring' and 'Lazer Guided Melodies'. Natty has terminal cancer and the show has been put together by his former bandmate Will Carruthers as a celebration of his life's work. Will tells us that all living Spacemen will be in attendance, including Natty (health permitting) and with Sonic Boom set to play live and Jason Pierce living a short stroll away will there be a Spacemen 3 reunion? Who knows, but it's sure to be a legendary night. Other confirmed guests are Gruff Rhys and Dan Treacy. There will even be a sponsored droneathon to raise money for cancer charities and prints will be available to buy.

The event takes place from 8pm-1am at Hoxton Square Bar & Kitchen, London EC1. There are more details on the Facebook event page here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/eve ... 4054314571

So, anyone going to this?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

Hmm. If a reunion happens with both Jason and Pete I will eat all of my pants.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

This ^^
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Managed to arrange to go to this. I wonder what wonders the night will bring....

From Will Carruthers:
Confirmed for the night are : Sonic Boom playing with assorted spacemen ,(Will Carruthers, Jonny Mattock, Bassman, Roscoe, Mark Refoy), The Tvp's, Kevin Shields, Pat Fish, maybe a couple of Black Mountain.
smellynobcheese
Known user

Post by smellynobcheese »

had to be on a guest list to get in ....I was booted out tonight ...
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

No Pierce (so if it didn't happen tonight, I guess it's never going to happen). Didn't really matter. Peter Kember, Will, Johnny, Mark, plus young Jason and Kevin Shields. Walkin' With Jesus (Pat Fish vocals!), Revolution, Suicide, and a slow jam. Everyone looked like they were having the time of their lives. Tired now, off to sleep...
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Last edited by Muscles on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

I wish I knew more about Natty. There was a collection on the way in. Most people seemed to be giving over the odds. If there was any news given, it was after I left. Sorry for, y'know, being 43 and having to get up for work in the morning.

I wasn't in the best place for pictures, but...

Someone on another forum says: (I was talking to Dean - the dude who was roadie-ing - before the gig. I don't think anyone actually bothered to invite Jason Pierce... ha ha hahahahahah).
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Great Picture !
Last edited by Muscles on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That guitar is an Eastwood I'm told.

I'm really unhappy to have missed this event in London. Not the fault of those involved that us northerners get permanently short-changed when such things take place. I never expected that line-up to appear in Sheffield but it's annoying to have missed something so significant.

I doubt anyone really expected Jason to appear. It's interesting that so many ex-Spacemen are still in contact with Pete though...
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

That guitar he is playing is a DiPinto. The one that he plays that looks like Jack White's is an Eastwood Airline repro.

I'm sorry if i sound like a turd or a geek. I'm just saying...

God i wish i could have been there!!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ah, fair enough. I assumed it was the guitar he'd used on the UK Spectrum tour. I'm no techie by admission...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Woooowwww. Someone recorded this, right?
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

''Muscles''
Natty was diagnosed with terminal cancer with only 3 yrs life expectancy around 12 years ago .

stick to what you know best - btw , what exactly is that ? like I care....

A GENUINE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME OUT TO THIS IMPROMTU AND FUN EVENT .NICE ONE NATTY . NICE ONE EVERYONE .

love , your one chord wanker ,
pk xx
look forward to not reading your no-doubt upcoming vile ,misinformed response .
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Ian wrote:Peter Kember, Will, Johnny, Mark, plus young Jason and Kevin Shields.
...and don't forget Dean from The Koolaid Electric company. 5 guitars. They tore Revolution a new arsehole. I'm still not sure if I dreamt it all.

As amazing as it was to witness the set, we musn't forget the reason why they got together last night. I spoke to Will briefly last night and he said Natty was too poorly to be at the gig. I hope that what Will and co are doing for him helps/eases him in some way.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

HAHA !

BUT that one CHORD you do !

YOU fucking really NAIL IT !

HAHA !

I have retired from "MUZAK"_ too fucking OLD !

I slink around in here...looking for you !

3 YEARS 12 YEARS AGO ! ?

well nice to hear something about NATTY.

couth was never my forte. sorry bout that.

CHEERS ! XO.

keep on rockin !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Gutted I couldn't make it down to this, was working in Manchester til Afternoon and couldn't afford the expensive virgin train down on the off chance I could get in/find somewhere to stay etc...

I applaud everyone who took part and hope to see some footage one day soon!

Shame that Natty couldn't make it, sounds like the show was a riot though! Hope a good amount was raised.

Also, just have to say it's crazy the approach Muscles has took in this thread. Making this about Jason, Sonic "selling stuff for gear", Spacemen bullshit and... I dunno. I hope that is the last of nonsense you spout for a while but I kinda doubt it. Sort it out.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Last edited by Muscles on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

What an absolutely amazing night. Recurring era (side A of course!) Spacemen line-up plus Mr Kevin Shields....how can you go wrong? 8) Everybody looked like they were enjoying themselves, especially Will and Johnny. Couldn't believe what a cracking rhythm section they were. Some cracking versions of WWJ, Revolution and Suicide.....I think they were the best performances of these tracks I've ever heard. As I never got the chance to see the Spacemen back in the day, I guess this is the nearest I'll ever get to realising what it was all about. Fantastic. Yes it would have been incredible if Jason took some part in the occassion, but I think we all knew it wouldn't happen. But we shouldn't be discussing who wasn't there, but how brilliant those that were there made the night.

Oh, and many, many thanks to Ian for the lift home (even with the general meandering round the ring road!).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well you're reply started fair enough, then told me to stop being a pussy, then there was a nice fuck you. All for me? Bizarre. All you have done is act offensive in this thread. Obviously I don't think that is your intention (apart from in the last one) and you obviously like the guys, but you make some poor judgements with how you say stuff and when you say it. I know you've met the guys cuz (as a regular) I have read (and had no problem) most of your past posts. I am sure you got on well with and maybe even keep up with some of them, but yunno, your posts have just utterly baffled me (and Sonic too it seems).
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Is that Kevin Shields on guitar sitting down?

I can't even say how gutted I am to have missed this.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

natty wrote:
Is that Kevin Shields on guitar sitting down?

I can't even say how gutted I am to have missed this.
Kevin's sitting down in the corner near Will.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

A few snaps from L.A Exhibition I took. Dunno if these are still available.

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Wish I could afford the recurring one. Wish I could make it to Sheffield but I'ma working all weekend.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Muscles slightly "unique" style of posting may have left him(?) open to being misconstrued ,and even though calling J a cunt on a site dedicated to the dude (which I thought was a tad out of order ) seems a bit much I think his heart is probably still in the right place ,hope I`m not wrong on this as I like to give the benefit of the doubt ... even so , wish I`d had my butt kicked by Sonic Boom!! just kidding,

just to get of the light hearted stuff , how the f8ck can I persuade Mrs M. that £160 for a print for the front drawing room is a good Idea!!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

i accepted redundancy to get mine! made out to the wife i was feeling crappy and needed cheering up... :wink: nah... its for a very good cause and i'm just glad i was in the position to pick one up. Would have loved more, but hey ho...

plus Will was an absolute GENT! by keeping mine aside for a few weeks until i got myself sorted. The prints are worth every penny!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote:i accepted redundancy to get mine! made out to the wife i was feeling crappy and needed cheering up... :wink: nah... its for a very good cause and i'm just glad i was in the position to pick one up. Would have loved more, but hey ho...

plus Will was an absolute GENT! by keeping mine aside for a few weeks until i got myself sorted. The prints are worth every penny!
Just had a small operation on my knee this morning ,so if I was to tell her that a f8ckin` cool N.brooker print could ease the pain ,maybe that could swing it!!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

niamhm wrote: how the f8ck can I persuade Mrs M. that £160 for a print for the front drawing room is a good Idea!!!
Let me know if you have any ideas!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bottom line is it's an investment. It's a print from an official series and signed by the artist. No way will it go down in value!
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Ok sooo, I want one of these really badly! I have one of Natty's drawings of the angel that was on the spilt milk records site. But are these things really as big as the site says they are??? are the prints the size of the ones that are hanging on the walls in those pictures?
Is the recurring print really approx 19' by 13'???? or is my math wayyyyyy off????? is it really 585cm X 415cm????
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

mm, not cm.

I'd need a need to buy a new house first if it is cm.

Post by runcible »

Just back from Sheffield. My other half isn't well so we only managed a brief appearance but had a decent chat with a few folks. Will was as charming and chatty as ever - even talking about making more solo music which is good news. A nice chap called Dave who used to make the Spacemen 3 badges decades ago. Bloke at the gallery - Andrew - also very friendly and very into the exhibition.

I bought a Sweet Tooth print - it looked great on the wall and I couldn't resist it. No way was I not going to buy something in an exhibition like that.

I'm not sure what music was on the cards tonight as we left before it got going. It's a tiny gallery well out of the centre of Sheffield so I was impressed with the number of people who appeared as it was busy inside and out. I'm still miserable at missing the London night on Thursday. When I mentioned this to Will he said that he knew he couldn't say too much before the event but also that he tried to drop big hints that something would happen even though he hadn't confirmed it all with any of the people involved. What's more is that there was NO rehearsal or soundcheck on Thursday so they did pretty well - and they apparently all really enjoyed it too.

Well worthwhile tonight.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I reckon I've done it. Mrs. loves the Anyway That You Want Me one.

Just one question; is it 587cm x 325cm or are the measurements in mm?

I mean, it can't be cm, can it?
Last edited by natty on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That'd be mm not cm. They aren't big - the largest is probably the one that was on the Spacemen 3/Wooden Shjips 7".
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Even that low quality video looks and sounds amazing. Seems like it was a great night. Can't wait to hear the recordings or see the hi-quality footage.

EDIT: WILL IS KILLING ME WITH THOSE BASS LINES AT THE END OF REVOLUTION!!! JESUS!!!
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Glad to see support for the cause of Natty, shame to hear of his illness. The bands at the Sheffield show (The Second Floor (featuring Nolan formerly of Spectrum) and 3d Tanx are brilliant.
I have heard good things about Hoxton Bar and Grill, playing there next month so should be cool.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Short clip of Walking With Jesus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL3CIX2EPMg
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

olliemorr wrote:Short clip of Walking With Jesus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL3CIX2EPMg
Glorious... Despite all the crap that has allegedly gone on between ex-Spacemen, seeing them on stage again together restores my faith in people somewhat. It’s good to know these guys can put bad feelings (if there are any) on the back burner for a night and get together to help out a mate. Like everyone, I have been so fucking busy recently that I completely forgot about this show and will probably never forgive myself for not having gone.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

It was probably the best I've ever heard Walking With Jesus sound. Better than any of the times I've heard Spiritualized do it.

Here's the others on Youtube:

Revolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnOwHnuyq0

Revolution (alt angle..poorer quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toavdzp0Evc

Suicide (low quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-EOXmucOw

The show was filmed properly, so hopefully we'll see it surface sometime in the near future...
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Much better footage. Recorded by Neil Rudd from Eat Lights;Become Lights:

Revolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MzvCaXJtbw
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

More footage from Neil Eat Lights. Sounds absolutely stunning. Great job with the audio.

Walking With Jesus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTR-fbcoQFw
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Fantastic. I particlularly like Pat Fish's "Aren't we going to do the last verse?" face during the last minute.
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

Fucking gutted I missed it!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow that clip of WWJ is superb!!

Will is looking really cool... love the hat.

Whoever is playing the wah wah guitar has got it spot on

also makes me realise that one thing i kind of miss from the current Spz sound is those fat, droning keyboards.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Wah-wah will have been played by Spectrum guitarist Jason - seen seated.

Will seems to live in that hat and has been wearing it since he played bass for the Brian Jonestown Massacre. He was wearing it when he appeared at the Sheffield part of the exhibition too.

That latest video clip just increases the pain I feel at having missed this reunion...
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

runcible wrote:Wah-wah will have been played by Spectrum guitarist Jason - seen seated.
With so many guitarists on stage, it's hard to be sure, but I'm sure that a fair amount of the wah-wah can be attributed to Mark Refoy (stage right and therefore right next to the camera).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I presumed it was probably 'young Jason' playing the wah wah but it was hard to be sure.

gutted about not being able to make this too.. living in the Midlands, as often happens we get lost between the northern and southern dates.

it's kind of cool that what pretty much amounts to a Spacemen reunion happened ad hoc to help out an old mate.. 'accident and emergency' you could say..
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

...and here's Suicide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYCIUnn7XnE

(Once again this was recorded and mastered by Neil Eat Lights.)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Ian wrote:
runcible wrote:Wah-wah will have been played by Spectrum guitarist Jason - seen seated.
With so many guitarists on stage, it's hard to be sure, but I'm sure that a fair amount of the wah-wah can be attributed to Mark Refoy (stage right and therefore right next to the camera).
Sounds like Mark to me.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I'd say it's Mr Refoy handling the wah on WWJ.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

There's a certain shimmer to his wah-wah that you can hear on a lot of the Slipstream material for, oh, at least the last five years.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Ian wrote:There's a certain shimmer to his wah-wah that you can hear on a lot of the Slipstream material for, oh, at least the last five years.
Yep. Sounds like his stuff on Recurring, too. And Sonic's "Spectrum".
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

yeah, would have been really nice to be there... although i would have to say that jason's vocals on wwj are far superior to pat's on this one

has this surfaced as flacs or mp3s anywhere yet? and, can anybody report the full setlist? :)
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

bbbhenko wrote: has this surfaced as flacs or mp3s anywhere yet? and, can anybody report the full setlist? :)
You can rip the audio from those vids using free software called vdownloader.
The setlist was Walking With jesus, Revolution, Suicide. As an encore they did a jam.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

http://www.buddyhead.com/jason-spaceman ... t-so-much/

pretty pathetic post on buddyhead but some interesting comments follow the main article..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Pretty amazing. Really can't believe someone would write this.

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

#
Kurt Cobain -- Aug 13th, 2010 at 6:03 pm
I was murdered!
#
omar rodriguez-lopez -- Aug 15th, 2010 at 1:02 pm
mga putangina ninyong lahat isubo nyo bayag ko
Best comments I've seen on a post in a really long time!

But yes, a really ill-informed entry from a supposed "journalist."
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Total bullshit of course.

However, it's a shame that the comments had to descend into the usual negativity about J. Spaceman.

And worse, the mighty Jason Parkes, Amazon's Top-10 bullshitter or something, felt obliged to comment:

Jason Pierce these days is actually making ****’s like Mike Love and Roger Waters look good. Couldn’t he have turned up for a performance with the best of intentions and in a laudable cause?

That aside, JP has been coasting it for years – as has been pointed out, in 2009/2010 he is playing a record from 1997 – mainly as his last two albums haven’t done the business. JP/the session musicians who back him who he will sack at some point in the near future, have played S3-songs. Some of these covers are quite horrible and far more vexing than the versions played here (in a noble cause…)He even ran out of songs and re-did ‘Ecstasy Symphony’ as ‘Symphony Space’ on the 1st Spiritualized LP (…and let’s remember the bombastic cover of a song from ‘Playing with Fire’ on Spiritualized’s 2001 LP…).

Please just fuck off forever, Jason Parkes. You are an absolute fuckwit and your lazy, ill-informed, Uncut-magazine idea of what's cool is just nonsense...worse your needless slagging of some of the most amazing shows I've ever seen just shows the level of arseholery you operate from.
Ian wrote: Someone on another forum says: (I was talking to Dean - the dude who was roadie-ing - before the gig. I don't think anyone actually bothered to invite Jason Pierce... ha ha hahahahahah).
Whatever. Hopefully good cash raised for Natty. Maybe they should take this on tour? And with Sonic or Will doing WWJ vocals instead of Pat Fish
:D
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Will has said this will never happen again. It was never billed as Spacemen 3, and was really just a load of musicians who used to play those songs and were in the right place to play them again.

I bought a print in a moment of insanity at the Sheffield do. It'll look mighty fine when I get round to getting it framed and I'm delighted it helps Natty even just a little.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

which one did you opt for Mark?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sweet Tooth. Such a lovely design, so Spacemen 3... I have an original Recurring poster which is almost the same as the print and I wanted a Spacemen design. I liked most of the prints - a couple were stoned doodlings but even those were rather interesting - but the stuff in colour interested me more to start with.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

very nice... 8)
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

throb wrote:Hmm. If a reunion happens with both Jason and Pete I will eat all of my pants.
That would be quite a sight. ^^
runcible wrote: I doubt anyone really expected Jason to appear. It's interesting that so many ex-Spacemen are still in contact with Pete though...
Or ex-Spiritualized. ^^
toomilk wrote:Even that low quality video looks and sounds amazing. Seems like it was a great night. Can't wait to hear the recordings or see the hi-quality footage.

EDIT: WILL IS KILLING ME WITH THOSE BASS LINES AT THE END OF REVOLUTION!!! JESUS!!!
I love the Revolution bassline.
angelsighs wrote:
also makes me realise that one thing i kind of miss from the current Spz sound is those fat, droning keyboards.
Yeah, it's a shame they seem to have completely disappeared after LP3.
bbbhenko wrote:yeah, would have been really nice to be there... although i would have to say that jason's vocals on wwj are far superior to pat's on this one
The fact that his vocals are so good on the song makes it even more absurd that he never managed to really get the vibe into his later versions of the song with Spiritualized.

I wish I could have been there. And Kevin Shields. I don't know why you'd blame them for doing it, that stupid article....
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010