Taping question

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Revrat
New user

Taping question

Post by Revrat »

I was wondering what a good setting for bass rollof is for your standard 1000 person rock club. Every tape I have made comes out great except for the fact that the rollof settings are always to much or to little. I have never been able to hit it right. My last taping of the Minneapolis show would have been perfect if the bass could be heard but it's all washed away. Of course the sound at this gig was low volume for a normal show at First Ave. I was up front and my ears were not even ringing a bit and I usually go deaf no matter what the show is.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

What mics are you using? based on your question i'm guessing you have the rolloff capabilities in your mic power supply(ie battery box), is that so? are you recording to dat, minidisc or jb3? are you going line in or mic in? when in doubt, i suggest you don't use any rolloff and remove excess bass in an audio program(sound forge, cool edit, wavelab,etc).
i recorded them with some really nice omnis(dpa 4061's) and got plenty of bass, i even had to remove some before i transferred to cdr.

There are a ton of factors involved so the more you can tell me the better. feel free to pm me if you like so we won't bore the others with taper terms
:wink:
david

Post by david »

SpaceLine wrote:What mics are you using? based on your question i'm guessing you have the rolloff capabilities in your mic power supply(ie battery box), is that so? are you recording to dat, minidisc or jb3? are you going line in or mic in? when in doubt, i suggest you don't use any rolloff and remove excess bass in an audio program(sound forge, cool edit, wavelab,etc).
i recorded them with some really nice omnis(dpa 4061's) and got plenty of bass, i even had to remove some before i transferred to cdr.

There are a ton of factors involved so the more you can tell me the better. feel free to pm me if you like so we won't bore the others with taper terms
:wink:
while its defo worth experimenting, NO bass roll of is just about the last thing to recommend! if only that bass distortion can totally ruin a recording... i'd use a low setting (around 60-100hz) as an absolute minimum to reduce the chance of this.