The Verve, Blur, now Pulp

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

The Verve, Blur, now Pulp

Post by James T »

One by one we're working our way through 90s reunions. Awesome, I say.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: The Verve, Blur, now Pulp

Post by TheWarmth »

I give props to Verve for doing a new album instead of just cashing in on live shows. I know a lot of people didn't dig Forth, but there are some good songs on it, even if it's not a masterpiece. In my opinion, if these reunion bands don't think they can still make good, new music, what's the point? I know Pavement aren't planning on playing or recording any new stuff.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was glad The Verve did another album but I really can't see that their reunion was for anything other than money. Blur was kind of for mending relationships and not leaving the band with the ending they did have, because they never actually split up or said they were over. Again, Pulp never split up but Jarvis did say earlier in the year he wasn't interested in a reunion but that money could change his mind, seems it may well of done.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think it'd be great if Pulp did another album. No reason why they couldn't knock it out of the park again. We Love Life was a big letdown and I think they could easily top that.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Oh for fuck's sake! I wish all these bands would just enjoy their dotage and accept that their time has been and gone. I find it all pointless and increasingly depressing.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I dunno, Jarvis has been releasing albums and his live shows have been great so I think there's life in them yet. He never played pulp songs live, so I'll be glad to finally see some live.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Maybe Northern Uproar will follow suit if we're lucky......
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

ORBITAL wrote:Maybe Northern Uproar will follow suit if we're lucky......
:lol: Or Menswear.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm waiting for the Ride reunion, which I guess is a bit more likely now that Andy Bell is out of work following the Oasis split.

As for Pulp, I'd be up for seeing them as I never went to see them first time around. Have seen Jarvis live, I agree that there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet. Also, with regards to the We Love Life album, bit hit and miss but I think Sunrise, the closer, is one of my favourite tracks of theirs.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

let's not forget Chapterhouse
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jesus son wrote:let's not forget Chapterhouse
haven't they reformed, but only for like one gig or something silly?
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

angelsighs wrote:
yep, ICA on 26th November and it's a sell out!

perhaps Moose could be next?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jesus son wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
yep, ICA on 26th November and it's a sell out!

perhaps Moose could be next?

hehe.

guess Chapterhouse think they are the Zeppelin of shoegaze- one more legendary gig for the hell of it... just on a much smaller scale... :)
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Ah, no how come no-one has mentioned that Shed Seven reunited way before all the other bands mentioned here? :lol:

Pulp never really split up, did they? Making big comeback statements isn't really their style anyway. If Russell Senior is in the line-up then we'll know it's just for money.

I liked Forth too. Not great, but a good album. I just don't understand how the Verve can fall out so much. It must be Ashcroft.
bruce_brobertson
Known user

Post by bruce_brobertson »

Guess a Flowered Up reunion is out of the question?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

What about Gay Dad?

and yeah, kudos to the verve for having the balls to actually do a new album, considering what it would be compared to. shame it didnt turn out that great.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Jarvis has denied that Pulp are reforming, claiming he was misquoted:

http://www.nme.com/news/pulp/48079

Personally, I'd love it if Pulp did another album. We Love Life was wonderful (particularly Wickerman). I thought they were on "hiatus", anyway...
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Chapterhouse is touring the US in 2010, as well as Japan. Dates are very limited. i'm sure there will be more UK dates announced as well

edit: no US or Japan dates have been announced as of yet
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

WHAT! NO f....... WAY.. fantastic news.!!!!

M
Design.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

MODLAB wrote:WHAT! NO f....... WAY.. fantastic news.!!!!

M
re: chapterhouse? if so, check my site www.comeheaven.com/news
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't believe chatperhouse got back together and I didn't hear or get tickets!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Hear hear. Forth had its flaws but also some very compelling material. Combined with some of the songs that didn't make the LP (Muhammad Ali, All Night Long, etc.), the Forth sessions completely justify the reunion and perhaps another one down the line.

TheWarmth wrote:I give props to Verve for doing a new album instead of just cashing in on live shows. I know a lot of people didn't dig Forth, but there are some good songs on it, even if it's not a masterpiece. In my opinion, if these reunion bands don't think they can still make good, new music, what's the point? I know Pavement aren't planning on playing or recording any new stuff.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Didn't Swervedriver claim that they were going to record again? That reunion tour was too short.
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

and what about Spacemen 3??? :lol:

I know that is impossible (especially if you read Erik Morse's book) but it'll be very interesting! Could you think a live with Sonic and Jason together again? An album like "Indian Giver"...
I don't know...for example the reunion of Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler of Suede with the name "The Tears"...the album was good, but let me say nothing new and now everybody forgot them... :|

Fede77
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

James T wrote:I was glad The Verve did another album but I really can't see that their reunion was for anything other than money. Blur was kind of for mending relationships and not leaving the band with the ending they did have, because they never actually split up or said they were over. Again, Pulp never split up but Jarvis did say earlier in the year he wasn't interested in a reunion but that money could change his mind, seems it may well of done.
I doubt that The Verve did it for the money. As if Richard had needed it. ^^ And seriously, can you picture Nick McCabe being after some cash? (I don't like Forth, to be honest, but I haven't given it a try. Well, I tried... two times or something but it just hurts too much to listen to it. ^^)

I am glad that Blur made up and I am looking forward to anything they make.

So Pulp are back again? ^^
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pulp are playing festival dates next summer with the full original line up. Only two dates so far: Primavera on May 27 and Wireless in Hyde Park on July 3.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Fede77 wrote:and what about Spacemen 3??? :lol:

I know that is impossible (especially if you read Erik Morse's book) but it'll be very interesting! Could you think a live with Sonic and Jason together again? An album like "Indian Giver"...
I don't know...for example the reunion of Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler of Suede with the name "The Tears"...the album was good, but let me say nothing new and now everybody forgot them... :|

Fede77
After years of being indifferent towards a Spacemen 3 reunion, I've begun really hoping for it to happen someday. It kinda pains me to say it, but I think J pretty much mapped the limits of the Spiritualized aesthetic by the time he finished Amazing Grace. I liked a fair amount of Songs In A&E, but it felt way too conventionally indie-rock to me and somewhat tired -- it's not my least favorite Spz record, but it's the one that seems the least promising as far as a follow-up goes. I really hope I'm wrong and that the next album knocks my socks off, though!

Why not do a Spacemen reunion? J has blown Pete out of the water critically and especially commercially -- what does he have to prove? I'd love to hear him do some more of the rootsy garage-folk material from Perfect Prescription. Besides, a Spacemen reunion is probably the only way we'll ever get another LP out of Pete!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Ads wrote:I'm waiting for the Ride reunion, which I guess is a bit more likely now that Andy Bell is out of work following the Oasis split.

As for Pulp, I'd be up for seeing them as I never went to see them first time around. Have seen Jarvis live, I agree that there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet. Also, with regards to the We Love Life album, bit hit and miss but I think Sunrise, the closer, is one of my favourite tracks of theirs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beadyeyemusic

here's mr bell's new project...
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

How about The Beatles?

All this reformation stuff is getting way, way, way out of hand. Its the music industry's prayers being answered. Everyones downloading music illegally and not buying music anymore. What do we do? Lets chuck silly money at bands that made us alot of money in the past and see if they go for it.....

I have a feeling I might get a bit of flack for this but my opinion is if you stop working together as a band as you feel that for whatever reason its no longer working, you've grown apart, whatever... unless you come back (when you reform) with something truly amazing why have you done it? The Verve for example. I don't think anyone on this site would say its there best album, most probably agree not even 3rd best. so why do it? I saw their performance on TV from Glastonbury (granted not the best gage of live music) and it was for the most part piss poor. It was like watching a Verve tribute band. All the right moves, but its not working. Same with Blur on the live front. It was good, but.... A fat drummer, a singer with a gold tooth who can no longer reach the fey indie boy notes of yor Okay Alex and Graham were still on it. But it just left me feeling a bit sad. Why?, because they're not as good as they used to be. The magic has gone. Okay its a nice ending to the story and it made for a nice film but their performance at Glastonbury '94 still makes for better watching than any of the new footage.

Im not saying all these bands that are reforming are doing ALL for the money. but lets not kid ourselves, It plays a massive part. And the record companies as Ive already said are loving it. I think that they have got the message that people are more willing to pay for a big live event than a new record. So thats also a contributing factor..The tickets for Take Thats (okay a different musical genre but the same rules apply) tour next summer sold out in some stupid time. Thats a couple of million quid that wouldn't have been made unless they reformed. Plus all the DVD's, tour merch and calendars that they can sell off the back of it. These are hard times financially but sadly all these old bands reforming are hurting the development of new acts because as long as it carries on they are going the industry will focus on easy money rather than new talent.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think I've said this before: regarding bands that reform and do put out new albums, you have to keep in mind that they have no way of hearing their work in an unbiased manner. Nick McCabe raved about Forth when it came out. I recall him saying that it was the record he had always wanted to make, or something along those lines. He honestly seemed to love the album (As an aside, I actually like a number of the songs on it myself, so personally I don't think it was a wasted opportunity). You simply can't expect a band to be able to judge it's own work in objectively. It's impossible. If you don't like the record, then fair enough, but I think it's largely ridiculous to say that X band shouldn't have released an album because to your ears it isn't as good as their earlier releases.

I do take issue with bands that reform simply to play live. The Pixies, for example ... how is that not a cash grab and nothing more? They can't be bothered to record a new album? They've been touring for years now playing all of their old material. That annoys me. I know that musicans need to make money. It's not just art, it's also their job. However, I feel like for these reunion tours to be justified, there needs to be new material to make it worthwhile to the fans.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Yeah Forth wasn't the Verve's best work but I have my issues with each of their previous LPs. Urban Hymns had better songs, but Forth was a better reflection of the sound and spirit of the band. There was a lot of really good material that came out of the Forth sessions and there were some amazing live shows -- I personally felt that Glastonbury was one of the highlights of their performing career, and one of the shows I saw was even better. I'm really glad that the reunion happened, and hope it happens again.

Releasing new material is the test of a reformed band, imho. The Pixies and Pavement are doing a cash grab, but since their fans are clearly happy to see them play then more power to 'em. But when bands put it on the line and do a new album, even if it doesn't scale the heights of some of their previous stuff, I respect that they're trying to function as an artistic unit.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

The simple fact is that today's music industry and new generation of consumers don't make for the sort of "paid their dues" steady rise to success or indulged creativity that "our" generation of bands enjoyed, so nothing is really capturing the imagination today. Arctic Monkeys? Hard Fi? Kaiser Chiefs? Do me a favour.

Thus it's no surprise that the vacuum is filled by nostalgia. And, as has been said, there's so much dosh to be made, much of which didn't come the bands' way in the days when selling out Brixton ws considered "big" and tickets were £17 not £47, that you can't blame them. I saw a documentary about Sheffield music last night and Candida Doyle was on there saying that Pulp didn't make much from their success first time around. That's becasue they never headlined at Hyde Park for £££ a ticket!

I'm getting quite bored of it, but I still can't help myself...I just got talked into the Screamadelica show at Brixton next year!!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Greeny wrote:The simple fact is that today's music industry and new generation of consumers don't make for the sort of "paid their dues" steady rise to success or indulged creativity that "our" generation of bands enjoyed, so nothing is really capturing the imagination today. Arctic Monkeys? Hard Fi? Kaiser Chiefs? Do me a favour.
Well, I wouldn't say that they've captured my imagination but I do think Hard-Fi is pretty good as far as mainstream post-Oasis britpop goes. The terrible cover art of their last album overshadowed some of the good songs on there, and I'd put them well ahead of the Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabians, and Detroit Social Clubs of the world.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

some band have very succesful comebacks and comeback for the right reason for example the bunnymen. they 'reformed' as electrafixion and that went well and they thought 'dammit we're the bunnymen' and had the comeback single 'nothing lasts forever' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfyaW-aDV44&feature=fvsr one of the best things they've ever done. but most reforms- for example as a kid i loved oasis but if they came back now i'd find it very hard to reconnect
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

bunnyben wrote:as a kid i loved oasis but if they came back now i'd find it very hard to reconnect
Just wait... Beady Eye will release one critically-panned album, and Noel will release one acclaimed album, but neither will move the kind of units that Dig Out Your Soul did. They'll be back within 5-7 years.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jadams501 wrote:
bunnyben wrote:as a kid i loved oasis but if they came back now i'd find it very hard to reconnect
Just wait... Beady Eye will release one critically-panned album, and Noel will release one acclaimed album, but neither will move the kind of units that Dig Out Your Soul did. They'll be back within 5-7 years.
probably but i doubt that i'll be back with them
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I think this is what I was trying to say but mine was a lot less eloquent.
Thus it's no surprise that the vacuum is filled by nostalgia. And, as has been said, there's so much dosh to be made, much of which didn't come the bands' way in the days when selling out Brixton ws considered "big" and tickets were £17 not £47, that you can't blame them. I saw a documentary about Sheffield music last night and Candida Doyle was on there saying that Pulp didn't make much from their success first time around. That's becasue they never headlined at Hyde Park for £££ a ticket!
I take your point Warmth, Its hard to be unbiased about your own material. And I've not doubt that the band we're up for it, but from a punters (my own) point of view I got very, very excited about there return and I think they didn't deliver.Im sure the record companies would have been very happy as they know whatever the Verve had of put out it would have sold.

I think my original point was not that they shouldn't be able to put out a new album, but why after building bridges between old friends and so much time passing, put out something that isn't anything anything but an amazing album of 100% pure gold. I know you think its a ridiculous thing to say, thats fair enough, your opinion. Im a great believer in rock mythology, and I think the point I'm trying to make is why be remembered for that 4th album that was ok but not great rather than the 3 which are generally considered to be pretty tidy records. I just think its a bit sad.

I also wonder who at the live shows was chanting, play something off the new album....not many I'll wager...
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Actually quite happy about Pulp coming back.

:)

M
Design.