Sonic mixing Panda Bear's new album

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Kurious Oranj
Known user

Sonic mixing Panda Bear's new album

Post by Kurious Oranj »

http://pitchfork.com/news/41220-panda-b ... i-release/
According to a press release, "all the songs have been added to" and given new mixes by former Spacemen 3 member Sonic Boom, who handled production on MGMT's sophomore album, last year's Congratulations.
pretty cool.. i like panda bear a hell of a lot more than MGMT
mc
Known user

Re: Sonic mixing Panda Bear's new album

Post by mc »

Ah! You beat me to it.

I can't describe how excited I am to see this news. I'm obsessed with Animal Collective and their solo projects in the same way I became obsessed with Spiritualized then Spacemen 3 back when I was sixteen. "Bros" is one of the songs of the decade, and the new Panda Bear songs I've already heard are stellar. Cannae wait to see what Sonic brings to the mix. :D

(Still, he should finish up that bloody Spectrum album already :lol: )
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I know a lot of people really love Animal Collective and Panda Bear, but for the most part I can't stand the stuff. Person Pitch had some interesting moments, I suppose. This job will probably yield an excellent payday for Sonic, so more power to him. I'd rather hear a new Spectrum album.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I have almost the exact same feeling about this as Paul (warmth).

I actually enjoyed half of their latest LP and their whole new EP (to the 'disgust' of 'real' Animal Collective fans - who really haven't liked anything since they were into Blink 182 three years ago...), but for the most part I think it's shit. His first two solo albums were shit, the third is not bad, and the songs I've heard from this new one are shit.

When someone I respect so much as Pete gets onto the project, the only thing I can do is wish it the best. The worst that could happen to him is that he'll get a bunch of money from it (which I hope he did get, especially from MGMT who are on part of the biggest major label on earth...) and some little shits will be exposed to his music in EAR, Spectrum, and Spacemen 3.

This situation reminds me of this past summer when I was at the Pitchfork Festival in Chicago. I went up front for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and there was younger (...but i'm not that old) couple right next to me. We started talking and it turns out they had no clue who "Jeffery Sp---- Blues Implosion" was, despite being up against the barricade. It turns out they were up there for Panda Bear, who was playing 2 hours later. I didn't discriminate, so I shared my water and fruit with them while they were about to faint from dehydration. WELL, during the JSBX set, they had their backs to the stage for the entire time, which was in 90 degree, HUMID heat and meanwhile Jon Spencer was wearing tight, LEATHER pants and rocking the FUCK OUT. While 15 year olds in the crowd were passing out from too many drugs and not enough water, this man was dropping to his knees and eating microphones in sexual seizures while sweat was covering every inch of his body. On top of all that, he was being disrespected by the younger crowds. It fucking pissed me off.

This is what I'm hoping the Sonic-producing-MGMT-and-Panda-Bear-and-ect... will cure. I really hope these people will look into his back catalog and jump into it and it will turn them onto so much more music than what's popular right now. I hope they become more rounded music fans.

EDIT: uhh, correct some typos because I'm drunk.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

mc wrote: (Still, he should finish up that bloody Spectrum album already :lol: )
:lol:
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It's really interesting that you bring up the Pitchfork thing. The other guitarist in my band watched Panda Bear's performance (did you?) that same day. He told me that it was so shockingly bad than he turned to the stranger standing next to him and said,"do you actually like this?" I guess the stranger just shrugged.

I'm not trying to bash Panda Bear, to be clear. I didn't see the show, so I can't comment on it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yeah but thinking something is awful isn't that odd. I saw The Orb's 'legendary' performance at Glastonbury 1993 and it was so dull I couldn't believe it yet people around me were freaking out at how incredible it was. I saw Primal Scream on the 'Don't Give Out Give Up' tour with George Clinton - another 'legendary' performance, but one that rates as the worst headline set I have ever seen by anyone ever (and I firmly believed was a huge Scream fan at that time). When I saw Spiritualized at the Mean Fiddler in 1991 - still the best live performance I can ever remember - a friend I was with thought it was really dull.

Horses? Courses?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I did see his performance and did think it was horrible. However, it was because it was the completely wrong setting for that kind of music - an outdoor festival. He played at 4pm or something. The sun was out, it was humid as hell, everyone was sweating out of every pore of their body, and the last thing anyone wanted to hear was an artist play some arrhythmic mess drenched in delay and reverb for 45 minutes.

The thing I found most disagreeable about his performance (or really, about 95% of fans of his music) is the subjectivity surrounding it all. People were creating such a hype leading up to his performance at the festival that had nothing to do with it being art or creative or music. It was something for young kids to twitter about or some shit and it was reduced to being simply a signifier of coolness or hipness (i.e. not about the music). "I'm so into music and art...I'm deep...I listen to Panda Bear...he changed my life...his performance will be the best thing I'm ever going to see..." Even after the performance, these people perpetuated the existence of Panda Bear as some sort of Christ figure who was going to save everyone from their boring white middle class upbringing and take them to Brooklyn where everything will be shiny and exciting and real! Most of the people at the festival were freaking out about how great his performance was. There were even people talking during his performance about how great it was. So it all boils down to his performance not actually being about his performance. Rather it was about the fan's 'performance' of how much they 'loved' the show and how 'authentic' it was and 'deep'. Sadly, that's now what Panda Bear's music represents to me - not music. It's a soundless object that is used to fill a void created by their insecurities and inadequacies (perceived and real). It's the newest pair of shoes everyone in school "needs." It's all liked for the sake of liking it. It's the new music for the consumer culture. It's sad.

But of course, this can be said about any number of bands and is only my opinion.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

since we're dissecting live performances it's not like sonic has been setting the world on fire with his recent live performances and mediocre covers of spacemen 3 songs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Kurious Oranj wrote:since we're dissecting live performances it's not like sonic has been setting the world on fire with his recent live performances and mediocre covers of spacemen 3 songs.
This is what we need - more Kember bashing. I've seen EAR performances which did little for me but the last few Spectrum gigs I've seen have been quite excellent. Did you miss the 'horses' and 'courses' bit?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:since we're dissecting live performances it's not like sonic has been setting the world on fire with his recent live performances and mediocre covers of spacemen 3 songs.
This is what we need - more Kember bashing. I've seen EAR performances which did little for me but the last few Spectrum gigs I've seen have been quite excellent. Did you miss the 'horses' and 'courses' bit?
After not having seen them/him play since the (amazing IMHO) Forever Alien shows, I've seen Spectrum/Sonic Boom play quite a bit over the last couple of years, both in Australia and Europe/UK. While I've grown a bit tired of waiting for the new album, all the shows I've seen recently have been truely excellent. OK, so the setlist is static over the last few years, but the performances have been awesome and so the shows didn't suffer for the lack of variety. The gigs that Pete played in Melbourne with the guys from Straightjacket Fits/Dimmer were blistering. The first night at the Northcote Social Club was outstanding.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

the problem with waiting for the new lp for years and new material at gigs is that it can create a very very high expectation level. I would love to hear some songs from the solo Spectrum lp and from Highs and Lows - feels kind of like we go in circles discussing Spectrum. The gig in Hoxton was my highlight of last year - ok not exactly Spectrum. I am looking forward to the reissue of the Spectrum lp in the meantime.

I like the pure idea though of looking forward to something soooooooo much like the Panda Bear fans, ok there will be assholes in there thinking they are part of a scene but we should celebrate their anticipation and excitement and youth - I try really hard not to be a cynical old git here even though I am- I bought his cd and only liked the famous one on there.

I also love adoring something that others hate - Kevin Rowland's solo lp on Creation springs to mind - MOR cover versions, muttering of a (recovering) unstable mind and bad cross dressing - I still play and honestly love the lp to this day - in the same year he played Reading Festival with some sexy ladies too in attendance - again for some reason people didn't like it with him in peach camisole and stockings - can't think why - happy days
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

runcible wrote:
i'm just sayin'.. a live gig doesn't necessarily tell the whole story
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Interesting shirt. Home made? Not sure I've seen one of those.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

runcible wrote:Interesting shirt. Home made? Not sure I've seen one of those.
It'd be an awesome t-shirt to have. I'd like to have that one with a big blue "3" on orange.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

toomilk wrote:I did see his performance and did think it was horrible. However, it was because it was the completely wrong setting for that kind of music - an outdoor festival. He played at 4pm or something. The sun was out, it was humid as hell, everyone was sweating out of every pore of their body, and the last thing anyone wanted to hear was an artist play some arrhythmic mess drenched in delay and reverb for 45 minutes.

The thing I found most disagreeable about his performance (or really, about 95% of fans of his music) is the subjectivity surrounding it all. People were creating such a hype leading up to his performance at the festival that had nothing to do with it being art or creative or music. It was something for young kids to twitter about or some shit and it was reduced to being simply a signifier of coolness or hipness (i.e. not about the music). "I'm so into music and art...I'm deep...I listen to Panda Bear...he changed my life...his performance will be the best thing I'm ever going to see..." Even after the performance, these people perpetuated the existence of Panda Bear as some sort of Christ figure who was going to save everyone from their boring white middle class upbringing and take them to Brooklyn where everything will be shiny and exciting and real! Most of the people at the festival were freaking out about how great his performance was. There were even people talking during his performance about how great it was. So it all boils down to his performance not actually being about his performance. Rather it was about the fan's 'performance' of how much they 'loved' the show and how 'authentic' it was and 'deep'. Sadly, that's now what Panda Bear's music represents to me - not music. It's a soundless object that is used to fill a void created by their insecurities and inadequacies (perceived and real). It's the newest pair of shoes everyone in school "needs." It's all liked for the sake of liking it. It's the new music for the consumer culture. It's sad.
Good write-up, and I agree. The seductiveness of the culture manufacturing plant these days is that "authenticity" is so effectively marketed on the same production line as any other product. There are some Animal Collective things I like, so I'm not gonna dismiss this guy without hearing any of his stuff, but definitely a lot of the fans are more interested in the music out of status concerns and trying to define oneself as culturally elite rather than anything coming out of the speakers.

As someone from the midwest, I've definitely encountered loads of people who idolized Brooklyn as some Mecca of sophisticated culture. Now, living in New York, I can definitely say that it's a big lie. There are really good restaurants and neighborhoods, but the much-vaunted hipster districts are full of pretentious wannabe "creatives" who are obviously overcompensating for being dull and insecure people. They are trendsetters, which is unfortunate, but it's not like people there are any more "authentic," "deep," or "creative" than anywhere else. To the extent that so many of them wear the uniform and hold the beliefs of the hive mind, they are arguably less so.
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

i really dig his last single,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Qq9wVcdH4

just ignore all the bullshit and listen to the tunes dudes, if you always got caught up in hype you'd ignore a lot of great music, nevermind was everywhere but at the end of the day, its still a great album
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

norrin radd wrote:i really dig his last single,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Qq9wVcdH4

just ignore all the bullshit and listen to the tunes dudes, if you always got caught up in hype you'd ignore a lot of great music, nevermind was everywhere but at the end of the day, its still a great album
Ha I'm too lazy to dig up the thread but I've written before that, to me, Nevermind is the weakest Nirvana album and nearly unlistenable. In Utero and MTV Unplugged are where it's at.
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

i knew someone would turn this into a "best nirvana album" debate, but that's off the topic and totally irrelevant, the point being i dont think it's wise to be a music snob and dislike something just because it's popular
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I like All Saints - Never Ever & Billie's Honey to the Bee - so there and my first record was Chuck Berry but don't get too excited - it was My Ding a Ling
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm not being a snob, I just don't like the music. When Person Pitch came out, I bought it on a whim primarily because the write up Reckless Records gave it said that it was heavily influenced by the Beach Boys. I didn't hear that at all. I find his voice and vocal delivery to be robotic and devoid of feeling. Musically, I could take it or leave it. They are sound collages as opposed to actual songs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but even if his material was instrumental, I don't think I'd be inclined to listen. Based on what I have heard by Panda Bear, he hasn't done anything as strong as "War Sucks," for example. That brings me back to what I said in my original post: I'd much rather hear a new Spectrum album. I'm not trying to be rude, but I felt like I needed to clarify my position.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I try to ignore other people's preconceptions, ideas and attitudes when I listen to music. I'm interested what it means to me and nothing else. Perhaps the kids are using Panda Bear/AC music as a hip lifestyle "object"; It's not my concern and it's not Panda Bear's fault. A crowd of hipster idiots shouldn't be allowed to taint one's opinion on music; critical hype, media bullshit and blog hyperbole are all irrelevant. Not liking something is fair enough; just don't mistake other people's cultural baggage for the music itself.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

LOL

So Sonic posted the tracklist to the Panda Bear album online before Panda's management was ready for it to get out. Shortly afterwards this message showed up on Twitter from panda's management:

"umm, yeah, I call him sonic "*sshole". he didn't even talk to anyone before sending this out. ughhhh. junkies- go figure"

It was deleted soon afterwards. Keep in mind, this is Panda Bear's management not Noah himself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... 4012AM.png

Image if anyone wants to see it.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

oh no not a tracklist.. it's not like he leaked the damn album
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Jesus, what a lack of fucking respect, man! If I was Panda Bear I'd be pretty pissed off about that message. He obviously respects Sonic and to have someone from his management say something like that seems like it would be super embarrassing. Plus, Sonic is basically generating free publicity for the album, so who cares? It was just a tracklist.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Already There wrote:
runcible wrote:Interesting shirt. Home made? Not sure I've seen one of those.
It'd be an awesome t-shirt to have. I'd like to have that one with a big blue "3" on orange.
I have a white one of those t-shirts (from pic) and it has the "Are Your Dreams 3 Sizes Too Big?" on the back... think someone in Ireland sent me it... was a few years ago now...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'll admit I was highly dubious about the Panda Bear album 'Person Pitch' but Pete K recommended it so highly I bit the bullet and got myself a copy. I'm not a big Animal Collective fan - there are moments - but parts of 'Person Pitch' absolutely floored me which I really didn't expect. I need to play it further but on more than one occasion I found myself wondering how he managed to come up with the ideas the music contained. One track in particular - 'Bros' - was absolutely astonishing. Like a whirling Beach Boys drone-up with added trip-out aspects.Talk about music to get completely lost in...

If the new album is anything like this I'm well looking forward to it.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I agree Runcible - "Bros" is an incredible piece of work. The entire song is based around three samples: a looped 1 second snippet of the Tornados' "Red Roses and a Sky of Blue" makes up the guitar line in the first half of the song; a looped 5 second snippet of Cat Stevens' "I've Found a Love" makes up the guitar line for the second half; the repeated vocal sample is from The Equals' "Rub a Dub Dub".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARSRV9ON6AU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uChZXCLVMzA

That he created so much from so little source material just blows me away.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I played it in the car today and it completely hypnotized me. That track is so incredibly intricate and beautifully assembled I'm kind of reeling at the accomplishment. It's so gorgeous.

And I can see exactly why PK is the man to work on the new stuff - and the reasons why PK is so obsessed with it (for more from him on that and more you'll need to buy the next issue of Optical Sounds when it's out!)...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I agree with runcible, i'm not a big Animal Collective fan at all but Person Pitch (although not the masterpiece some make it out to be) is a fine piece of work.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

runcible wrote: If the new album is anything like this I'm well looking forward to it.
the new album is supposed to be without sampling

if songs like this are any indication:
http://vimeo.com/18718813

i can see the sonic connection
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Kurious Oranj wrote:
the new album is supposed to be without sampling

if songs like this are any indication:
http://vimeo.com/18718813

i can see the sonic connection
What track is that?

Comfy in Nautica always puts me in a coma...reminds me of the Smiley Smile era. I'm not an AC or PB die hard fan but they definitely have songs that knock you out.

I think this cover ranks up there with my top 10 album covers of all time.

Panda Bear - Person Pitch by jmmonday, on Flickr
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

it's called "Atiba Song" .. it was made just for that video as it doesn't have an official release

its been suggested that it's on the forthcoming LP under a different song title
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2011/02/11 ... the-jetty/

sonic's mix of a track from the album "last night at the jetty"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Kurious Oranj wrote:http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2011/02/11 ... the-jetty/

sonic's mix of a track from the album "last night at the jetty"
Wow, this is much better than anything I've heard from Panda Bear before.
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

flamingrev wrote:LOL

So Sonic posted the tracklist to the Panda Bear album online before Panda's management was ready for it to get out. Shortly afterwards this message showed up on Twitter from panda's management:

"umm, yeah, I call him sonic "*sshole". he didn't even talk to anyone before sending this out. ughhhh. junkies- go figure"

It was deleted soon afterwards. Keep in mind, this is Panda Bear's management not Noah himself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... 4012AM.png

Image if anyone wants to see it.
I'm not that interested in defending myself against such pathetic jibes , I think my reaction to it versus his says it all.
He since apolagized .
I must state though that the press release was cleared by Noah around a week before .
I think u r right to think he was as stunned as I was . sweet one , eh ?
On that note , I really reccomend this record & his previous ones as some of my favourite records . ever .
You'll say its hype , whatever , this record - long before i got near it - was already one of the most awe inspiring things I ever heard . Stunning from start to finish .
Apolagies that its been a distraction from Spectrum l.p. work . I'm not done yet..........
happy valentines day
pk xx
imagne
Known user

Post by imagne »

hey pete, is the new cheval sombre done yet?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

sonic boom wrote:Apolagies that its been a distraction from Spectrum l.p. work . I'm not done yet..........
happy valentines day
pk xx
Thanks for the update, Pete. For what it's worth, I've had "How You Satisfy Me" on repeat these last few weeks. Please continue to keep us posted!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

This seemed to have slipped under the radar amid the Panda Bear chatter;

From Sonic's website back in February:

Fans of psychedelia might want to look out for two 'record store day' 7"s both remixed/remastered by me.

Red Crayola - Hurricane fighter plane (sonic boom remix) b/w Pink Stainless Tail (sonic boom remaster) PLUS the 13th Floor Elevators - May the Circle Remain Unbroken (sonic boom remix) b/w Wait For My Love (sonic boom remaster).

I have also just remastered the whole of the the RED CRAYOLA's PARABLE OF ARABLE LAND & also GOD BLESS THE RED CRAYOLA AND ALL WHO SAIL WITH HER l.p.'s for the first time.

Two remixes of MOON DUO tracks, Scars and Fallout will feature on a bonus disc with there upcoming LP on Sacred Bones and Souterrain Transmissions records. For those that don't know Moon Duo is a side project of The Wooden Shjips. A 7" with the Scars remix and an unreleased track on the flip will be released for record store day in Europe.

:D 8)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bugger - there goes the exclusive we had lined up for Optical Sounds # 2!

:roll:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

glad PK's doing some work with decent bands for RSD... given the shite that MGMT released, even his talent couldn't make it good...
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/03/134987319 ... mmentBlock

NPR streaming this now.. fantastic stuff
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Kurious Oranj wrote:http://www.npr.org/2011/04/03/134987319 ... mmentBlock

NPR streaming this now.. fantastic stuff

It's quite a velvety trippy sound. I like it.
Pete did a nice job.

B,

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Panda Bear interview from Pitchfork (re: sonic):
Pitchfork: The release of Tomboy was pushed back a few times, and toward the end you brought in Sonic Boom to mix it. Did the album take a few different forms along the way?

NL: Not so much. I got a little too positive about when I thought I could originally finish the thing; I locked a date for myself last year, and it became really clear that I wasn't going to meet that target. I wanted to get all the songs to sound like I wanted them to sound, and it just took longer than I thought.

Because of that, my original plan to have Dave [Portner] and Josh [Dibb] from Animal Collective mix it fell through because it wasn't a good time for them by the time I was ready. I've done that the past couple of records-- I'm really into having somebody outside the process come and help make sense of the thing. To have an outside ear is a really important part of the process, at least for me. I feel like I get too close to the thing, and that outside ear helps to translate it.

But it was sort of serendipitous because the day after I spoke to Josh, Sonic wrote to me about [the Animal Collective-curated] ATP. Just like, "What's up? I'm psyched to be doing the show." So when I got that e-mail from him, I was just like, "Do you want to do this thing?" It all made sense in a sweet way.

Pitchfork: What did Sonic Boom bring to the table in that capacity?

NL: The album got put into perspective really quickly for me, because we spent the first couple of weeks just talking to each other. He wanted to know everything about the album: what all the song titles meant, what instruments I'd used, how I'd recorded this and that, what the lyrics were and what they meant, and what the songs meant to me. We got super detailed about it. He really got personally involved.

But I pretty much had mixes of all the songs by the time he was getting ready to go. And I just took my mixes and condensed them down from probably 50 tracks to about 15 or so. So the files he got were condensed versions, and that was his starting point. He took it to his place from there. He has a really basic setup, sonically speaking, and that's a way of thinking about sound that appeals to me quite a bit. Especially with these songs.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Drone is just a wonderful track :D
'Remember, change is not good'