Amy Winehouse R.I.P

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Amy Winehouse R.I.P

Post by sunray »

Amy Winehouse was found dead in her North London flat this afternoon. Only 27 years old.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Re: Amy Winehouse R.I.P

Post by redcloud »

Whether one was a fan of her music or not (I wasn't) this is a sad, waste of life. She was a total train wreck and all of us knew it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Sad indeed but assuming it is drug related (early reports hinted at that) and not wanting to sound cold, she also made her choices. We all ended up being voyeurs in her life thanks to the media's obsession.

What is even more sad is what is unveiling in Norway. What the fuck is wrong with people? Oh yea, I forgot...it's called religion (and/or, the far right). :roll:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah, fucking hell man. Horrible day for shitty news. My family tell me that in Lerwick today, the Norwegian flag is flying half-mast. A lot of Shetlanders feel far closer to Norway (psychologically as well as geographically - which it actually is) than the rest of the UK - Scotland included.

As insane, joyless, sexless, life-frustrated religious extremists (of all bullshit creeds) hate everyone it's fair to say I hate them too... to put it mildly. Monumentally horrible and disturbing for everyone though, is that the utter fuckheads want to take their shit life out on the innocent. Just horrible. Words aren't enough, right...

Winehouse. Christ. Another member of 'The Stupid Club'... :shock:
O P 8
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

redcloud wrote:Whether one was a fan of her music or not (I wasn't) this is a sad, waste of life. She was a total train wreck and all of us knew it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Sad indeed but assuming it is drug related (early reports hinted at that) and not wanting to sound cold, she also made her choices. We all ended up being voyeurs in her life thanks to the media's obsession.

What is even more sad is what is unveiling in Norway. What the fuck is wrong with people? Oh yea, I forgot...it's called religion (and/or, the far right). :roll:
yesterday was a strange day. i played my band's final show- a private invite-only mostly acoustic show in our living room. after everyone was gone my wife and i sat on our front porch drinking beers and watching a storm approach in the distance and we talked about pretty much everything you just said above. if you're an addict you reach a point where you're doing one thing (getting free of your addictions) or you're choosing to die. it's pretty awful whenever anyone chooses to die.
as sad as the amy winehouse thing is i did also find it similarly disenchanting that it ended up overshadowing what happened in norway. one of the most annoying things to me about being american is this whole notion that people have here that 9/11 was somehow the most significant thing to happen in the entire world in the entire century and yet here you have countries in other parts of the world that are the subject of terrorist attacks with more regularity and it gets little more than a passing mention on the news here. plus, when was the last time a country like norway was the subject of a terrorist attack? that's fairly significant and in my mind should bear a little more discussion in this country than amy winehouse.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

With all the other nasty shit that going down around the world, the predictable death of Amy Winehouse is NOT FUCKIN news... oh and suprise suprise, her album is back in the Top 10... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Whats with all the vodka being put with the flowers... ?!?!?! Thats like lining the streets with hamburgers for Elvis or a collection of shotguns for Kurt Cobain... people are mental! Why not just leave a big bag of smack at the side of the road...

Over-rated (IMO) and an inevitable, slow-mo car crash thats lasted about 3-4 years...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Laz69 wrote: Whats with all the vodka being put with the flowers... ?!?!?! Thats like lining the streets with hamburgers for Elvis or a collection of shotguns for Kurt Cobain... people are mental! Why not just leave a big bag of smack at the side of the road...
it's because the only reason she was so 'famous' was because of her drink n drugs whereas elvis and kurt (whom i don't even like) were tallented people who many 'enlightened' people who know where the off switch for radio 1 respected for their tallent
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

That's a bit harsh. She was famous for her music before the drink and drugs came along. Admittedly she was kept in the news and stayed famous because of her car crash lifestyle. Having the press camped on your doorstep every day is going to guarantee that.

But each to their own opinion.

I really like Back To Black and think she had a bundle of talent. Saw her live just the once, at Somerset House, around the time she started becoming "Winohouse" and getting a bad rep live, but she was fantastic and on form. I'm shocked and saddened at her death.

When death hits that young it's just a very sad thing and such a waste of a life, no matter who you are, whether it's a pop star, soldier, or an average Joe going about their daily business.

The Norway situation is just horrible and insane. I was reading this morning that a 'life' sentence in Norway only means about 21 years which could mean the guy will be walking around free when he's 53 or something. Hopefully this case will make them re-think that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

shalloboi wrote: one of the most annoying things to me about being american is this whole notion that people have here that 9/11 was somehow the most significant thing to happen in the entire world in the entire century and yet here you have countries in other parts of the world that are the subject of terrorist attacks with more regularity and it gets little more than a passing mention on the news here.
I agree in part with this. But, remember....3,000 people were killed on that day. That is, by far, the most people to die in any one single day by any terrorist act. The nature of the attacks was so calculated, precise and outrageous. But, it worked. Thus far, in our lifetime September 11 was the single worst terrorist event to happen in one day. That said, yes many countries deal with terrorist campaigns as a way of life but they do not let it stop them nor do they allow it to define who they are. They get on with it. America, however, does seem to use 9/11 as a way to define themselves. Maybe we need more distance from the events before we are able to truly move forward? It took quite a while before good, open, honest dialogue about the Vietnam War was able to happen.

I think the news reports I watched covered Norway pretty well....but, with exception to PBS most American news sources suck. When we turned on the tv the day of Norway CNN was talking about the debt deal! Only PBS and BBC America were doing full length reports on Norway and Somalia. Support your local PBS station and watch their National news instead of CNN!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I knew nothing about Amy Winehouse and finally got around to listening to Back to Black this morning. I was extremely impressed. So many people fail miserably at pulling off the jazzy white soul singer act -- Adele is particularly appalling -- but I think she nailed it. The songwriting was solid and the production was spot on. Hopefully when the media frenzy dies down she'll be remembered for her music.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

jadams501 wrote:I knew nothing about Amy Winehouse and finally got around to listening to Back to Black this morning. I was extremely impressed. So many people fail miserably at pulling off the jazzy white soul singer act -- Adele is particularly appalling -- but I think she nailed it. The songwriting was solid and the production was spot on. Hopefully when the media frenzy dies down she'll be remembered for her music.
Spot on. It's a great album.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

Such a sad waste of life and talent. Back to Black is quite good.
Something Wicked That Way Goes...