Royal Albert Hall, October 11th, 2011.

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

bunnyben
Known user

Re: Royal Albert Hall, October 11th, 2011.

Post by bunnyben »

what guts mr spaceman has- royal albert hall- here's a bunch of songs you've never heared that i won't even bother to introduce. brilliant! and happy day with the full esamble- wowwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

poppy spaceman! :D :D :D :D
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Brilliant, brilliant gig.

The new album (or what must be most of it) was wheeled out in it's entirety with backing for most tracks from the orchestra and choir. Thats just utterly audacious???? To turn up at the Royal Albert Hall and do that?? You've got to admire the boldness there.

The thing is, the material really was mostly very good I felt (and thats on first listen) I honestly believe that if all of Songs in A&E was trotted out, i'd be feeling a bit short-changed. I believe this new material to be very very strong and there are some wonderful compositions there. It may alienate some as there are some pop leanings there, but I just thought it was immensely enjoyable. Poppy's mates are gonna realise how damn cool her Dad is, that is if they have any musical taste of their own! Its definitely Spiritualized though.

And it was really well played. I still cant really believe it, to have come back from playing Ladies and Gents and then hitting us with a complete new album. Utter madness.

And then, the core band returned for a brilliant second set, the same set as has been mentioned for the previous gigs. Shine a Light was just fantastic. Im convinced this band is sounding much better, much grittier, than it did on the A&E tours. Excellent strobe and smoke-filled apocalyptic ending to Take Me the Other Side.

And the orchestra and choir returned for Oh Happy Day, which was marvellous.

Went home very happy. Thanks Jason and the boys. I really bloody enjoyed that. :)

JJ1977 wrote:Oh, and Romeo from the Magic Numbers appeared to be playing banjo on a couple of songs. Which was odd
Yes, I agree, very odd indeed. That had me and my mates slightly perplexed. Was nice to see him I suppose, and the banjo was alright! :D
spaced
Known user

Post by spaced »

The Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Just went for a stroll around the venue and found the stage door. Think I'll be camping myself there at some point later tonight!!
Any joy meeting the band? That has to go down as one of the strangest gigs I have been to, I've never know a band to play so much new stuff. New album sounds promising, really enjoyed the whole new songs. Suprised at all the empty seats and how the standing area wasnt full.
nimatiks
Known user

Post by nimatiks »

... I absolutely loved it!
hairymarx 1
New user

Post by hairymarx 1 »

I have to disagree with the comments. I thought the new material for the main part was underwhelming, uninspiring and lightweight. The 'jesus' references have become grating. On the positive side, the epic piece which closed the first part of the set sounded like Spiritualized I loved during the Lazer Guided Melodies period. 'Sway' was the other highlight. Overall, I thought the sound was 'muddy' particularly during the first hour. A mixed bag.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spaced wrote:
The Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Just went for a stroll around the venue and found the stage door. Think I'll be camping myself there at some point later tonight!!
Any joy meeting the band? That has to go down as one of the strangest gigs I have been to, I've never know a band to play so much new stuff. New album sounds promising, really enjoyed the whole new songs. Suprised at all the empty seats and how the standing area wasnt full.
I like gigs where the band plays a set of tunes you've not heard before. I have particularly fond memories of a New Order gig in Birmingham in 1985 where they played the bulk of Low Life several months before it was released. IIRC they played 7 new songs and 3/4 oldies. The big drawback of the current fad for playing albums in track order is that you know exactly what is coming next, so any spontaneous element to the gig is lost. I wish I had been able to travel to the UK for these gigs.....I had tickets, but couldn't make it....... :cry: Not to worry though, the setlist will probably not vary too much between now and the shows in March, at which stage I will be in the UK. :D
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

olan wrote:
spaced wrote:
I like gigs where the band plays a set of tunes you've not heard before. I have particularly fond memories of a New Order gig in Birmingham in 1985 where they played the bulk of Low Life several months before it was released. IIRC they played 7 new songs and 3/4 oldies. The big drawback of the current fad for playing albums in track order is that you know exactly what is coming next, so any spontaneous element to the gig is lost. I wish I had been able to travel to the UK for these gigs.....I had tickets, but couldn't make it....... :cry: Not to worry though, the setlist will probably not vary too much between now and the shows in March, at which stage I will be in the UK. :D
i saw brmc do howl (mixed with older songs) and pretty much howl took the centre stage for me despite never even hearing the single (ain't no easy way). before the gig i thought 'o i hope they play some new stuff- not just the hits- to justify coming to see them again', boy, i was chuffed. the only drawback was the lady behind me rabbiting on and the guy next to me who had stolen an expensive bottle of whisky from the bar trying to get everyone to drink and then snorting cocaine- atleast i got a hug :wink:
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

You've got to hand it to Jason. For an established band to play a new album in its entirety (and as the first hour of a show) and not play anything at all from the last tour (which admittedly was a previous album in full) is unheard of as far as I know. Also to do this in the Royal Albert Hall rather than a small venue…

Always takes me a couple of listens with new albums to really make my mind up, but the new album did sound excellent. In particular I liked Hey Jane, Heading For The Top and I am What I am. Will be very interesting when the album is due and Jason is interviewed to read his take on the album. He must take it to be one of his best to tour it like this.

Of the old songs Sway and Good Times were particularly welcome additions.

Set list looked to be exactly as posted for the Edinburgh gig.

Downsides - £12 for a pint of Spitfire and a red wine was a bit much. But mainly now having to wait 5 months for the new album to come out...

Anyone know what the new album will be called yet?
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

I loved it, but it was a bit "odd" - takes some guts to come out and play a bunch of stuff no-one has heard before in a venue like that. I guess perhaps I had hoped it would more of an "event" gig with the initial announcements of career spanning set etc, but as soon as the Edinburgh set-list was in I think we all knew what to expect!

All of the new stuff sounded good with a few stand-outs (especially the last one that was just immense), and the old favourites second half didn't disappoint either. In my 5 or 6 times of seeing them I've never seen a proper "Oh Happy Day", so to have it backed with the orchestra and choir like that was quite special and a fitting end.

Cheapster going full-on, ear-melting loud was something else!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Hmmm - I seem to be swimming against the tide on here, although certainly not among my group of friends.

Jason has done many amazing things in his career, especially live, but I for one won't be putting that among them. Leaving aside the "career spanning setlist" issue the first half just sounded a total mess to me, shoe-horning an under-rehearsed orchestra and choir into the proceedings created a sonic fudge that was almost unlistenable to my ears. Poor old Doggen and Coxon were playing their hearts out and I couldn't hear a bloody note (on floor, front-ish).

Second half they ripped it up, for sure, but they'd already lost me to be honest. It felt like your team scoring a great goal while already 4-0 down, hardly a source of rabid excitement.

Afterwards, the word on the lips of two long-term Sp3/Spiritualized fan pals was "mistake". Can't help but agree.

Will now strive to erase that from the memory banks so it doesn't besmirch the memory of RAH1...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Greeny wrote: Poor old Doggen and Coxon were playing their hearts out and I couldn't hear a bloody note (on floor, front-ish)..
i was there for the bunnymen doing ocean rain with strings and there is a very bad place for acoustics- i could barely hear the strings.

not only was nothing from a&e played but also licd and ladies and gents, just goes to reinfoce a previous point- how much he thinks of the new album and also what depth he has in backcatalogue- he didn't even play walking with J!
rhys79er
New user

Post by rhys79er »

What a great night that was. I wasn't expecting to hear the new album in (i assume) full, but it was a real treat. It had its ups and downs but I guess they have a while to iron out a few of the kinks. The last of the new songs was utterly fantastic, definitely a future classic.

I heard a few people around moaning "where was Ladies & Gentlemen? Where was Come Together" but I don't think it was necessary to roll those out yet again, they must have played them a thousand times and most of the audience have heard them nearly as much (although it was my girlfriend's 1st Spiritualized gig and it would have been nice for her to hear Ladies & Gents/Can't Help Falling in Love).

only downer, and i'm sure this gets mentioned a lot on this board so forgive me, was the wallies who have to shout some inane crap whenever it goes quiet. every time I hear "I love you Jason" it makes me cringe into a tiny ball inside. Please stop it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Greeny wrote: Jason has done many amazing things in his career, especially live, but I for one won't be putting that among them. Leaving aside the "career spanning setlist" issue the first half just sounded a total mess to me, shoe-horning an under-rehearsed orchestra and choir into the proceedings created a sonic fudge that was almost unlistenable to my ears. Poor old Doggen and Coxon were playing their hearts out and I couldn't hear a bloody note (on floor, front-ish).

Second half they ripped it up, for sure, but they'd already lost me to be honest. It felt like your team scoring a great goal while already 4-0 down, hardly a source of rabid excitement.

Afterwards, the word was "mistake". Can't help but agree.

Will now strive to erase that from the memory banks so it doesn't besmirch the memory of RAH1...

fuck
harsh

can understand about the choir/orchestra maybe being underprepared
maybe the sound was better nearer the mixing desk/further back

the point regarding the career spanning setlist is an interesting one. if was one of the reasons i was reluctant to go to these shows.
had i known they'd be playing all new stuff i'd have signed up in a heartbeat!
there's only so many times i need to hear WWJ/Come Together/Electricity..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

from a Drowned in Sound user :

I'm going to be shot down in flames for saying this
But sod it. That was dreadful.
Imagine Oasis recording Heathen Chemistry with Ornerte Coleman breathing down their necks. Imagine them then being force fed Richard Ashcroft's lyric book. Imagine Liam Gallagher found Jesus and decided his favourite Beatles album was Let It Be. Imagine all of this for 75 interminable minutes. Worst lyric of the night? "Mary Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow?" takes some beating. Imagine, worst of all, what a sensational talent Pierce has been and seriously ask yourself if you can really say that he hasn't lapsed into lazy choir+strings+brass-makes-anything-sound-epic cliche.
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

When the show was announced the "career spanning set" mention actually put me off getting a ticket. Over the years I've heard most of the songs I'd want to hear and you kinda know what you're gonna get. I was also at the last RAH show and questioned whether it could be better... Then when I read the thread about all these new songs being played I kicked myself but was lucky enough to grab a standing ticket with a days notice. So for me the new songs were the only reason I was there and I wasn't dissapointed. So glad I did as it would have been the first tour I'd have missed since Pure Phase.

I really liked the grooves of the new longer tracks, the flowing feel of them and Doggen's guitar theatrics.. real foot tapping, head nodding tunes. The slower country/gospel/Lord/Jesus etc tinged tracks seemed bigger versions of the A+E stuff but not a major departure to me, but I did prefer this version of Life is a Problem (or whatever it's called now...)

My only very minor criticism would be the bass player looked a little lost during the wig-out/freeform noise parts and was openly gesturing to Jason and other band members as to whether to keep going or stop.. kinda ruined the heads down, balls to the wall vibe you usually get, and made me feel a little uncomforable for him, with so many people watching :D Other than that he did a great job and his basslines are a major part of these new tracks...... Also, I'm sure the strobe lights used to be far more intense?... or have I just been conditioned?.... :lol:

Anyhow, it was a really great, refreshingly different, show and really brave of them to come out and do it at the RAH. The crowd around me were getting swept away and really into it which was wonderful, which shows these songs really hold their own and we're in for a treat come the album release....

KK
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spunder wrote:from a Drowned in Sound user :

Imagine Oasis recording Heathen Chemistry with Ornerte Coleman breathing down their necks. Imagine them then being force fed Richard Ashcroft's lyric book. Imagine Liam Gallagher found Jesus and decided his favourite Beatles album was Let It Be. Imagine all of this for 75 interminable minutes. Worst lyric of the night? "Mary Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow?" takes some beating. Imagine, worst of all, what a sensational talent Pierce has been and seriously ask yourself if you can really say that he hasn't lapsed into lazy choir+strings+brass-makes-anything-sound-epic cliche.

fucking hell
it was one gig - the 3rd of a new tour & the first with the choir & orchestra
bit harsh jumping to the judgement of j having lapsed into comfortable cliche after one gig
tho that quoted lyric is a worry..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

jack white wrote:

fucking hell
it was one gig - the 3rd of a new tour & the first with the choir & orchestra
bit harsh jumping to the judgement of j having lapsed into comfortable cliche after one gig
tho that quoted lyric is a worry..

Well.. a track from Can's Monster Movie LP has a track called "Mary, Mary so Contrary" with those exact lyrics... so more of a nod to that don't you think than the nursery rythme. I fucking love that song......

Spiritualized are no different to how they were in 1997, strings/choirs/horns and the negetive comments going around on the boards like DiS (one written before the show had eneded!!??) are no different to those when LICD was released.

In 10 years time a lot of people will be going on about last nights show as an "I was there when they unexpectedly played the whole of ****** album.

and as you rightly point out it was only a gig......
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Some harsh comments going on here!

They play LAGWAFIS in full and people say he's living off past glories. So to come back and play the new album in full and it sound so together, so formed and so powerful - thats over an hour of new music which knowones ever heard, is in my opinion very bold, very cool and also respectful of fans desperate to hear the new album. I don't think he's just adding a choir and orchestra and saying look how epic it is. What he's doing is treating the new material with the same reverence as the old. Just because it's not how you expect it doesn't mean its wrong. The traditional way to tour a new album is to slip 4 new songs into the set and play a selection of new and old. I think what he's done is very rock and roll, He's said fuck that, I want to play all of it. The last show was LAGWAFIS in full so I can see his thinking coming back and playing the new album in full.

I doubt anyone at the record company is thanking him for playing songs that aren't out for 5 months what with youtube, bootleg recordings and the like. You wanted to hear the new album. You got it. At the Albert Hall. Sorry you didn't like it I had a great night. I cannot wait to hear the new album! As someone's already said, its going to be a belter.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

simonkeeping wrote:Some harsh comments going on here!
Not in the great scheme of things. It's a message board. For Spiritualized fans. They played a big show, some of us liked it, some (like me) thought it was a total stinker and have explained why we thought that. I don't think any less of people who had a great time, I sincerely wish that was the case for me, as it would have justified the time, trouble and expense of going.

I've been a regular on this board for God knows how long so I think I'm entitled to give my personal view of a gig on a thread specifically about that gig, even if it doesn't chime with everybody.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

new songs left me completely and utterly underwhelmed, hate to say it but I think the song well might be drying up

second set was an improvement, but very predicable apart from not playing WWJ

sound was poor all night, lights were the worst since the Electric Ballroom a few years back
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I'm not slating you Greeny! I'm just stating my thoughts on the Marmite reaction to last nights events.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Krisskrossfrog wrote: Well.. a track from Can's Monster Movie LP has a track called "Mary, Mary so Contrary" with those exact lyrics... so more of a nod to that don't you think than the nursery rythme. I fucking love that song......

Spiritualized are no different to how they were in 1997, strings/choirs/horns and the negetive comments going around on the boards like DiS (one written before the show had eneded!!??) are no different to those when LICD was released.

In 10 years time a lot of people will be going on about last nights show as an "I was there when they unexpectedly played the whole of ****** album.

and as you rightly point out it was only a gig......

cheers for the tip re: Monster Movie
i've had that album sitting around for years & never listened to it but i'll have to do some catch-up..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
rd_se3
New user

Post by rd_se3 »

Not posted on here since the Union Chapel gig (which goes down as my favourite gig - of any band - of all time). Agree about the sound from standing in the stalls. Some tremendous new songs in there - the last one of the "new" set was instantly superb - what a track !
mrwigg
New user

Post by mrwigg »

Hi,
It seems you can't win, play older stuff and people will complain about that, play new stuff and people complain. Hey ho.

For me, I thought playing the main set totally of new songs was a good move, coming off the back of a tour specifically playing an old album. I imagine it gets pretty boring playing the same stuff all the time and as someone else has said, I have heard Walking with Jesus live plenty thanks, it ain't gonna change now.

As for the quality of the new songs, I will wait for the album to pass judgement there. What I did hear last night was a few songs that could be absolute crackers if they recreate last night's vibe on record and a few that sound like J. Spaceman trade mark songs (insert Jesus, soul, fire lyric here). Anyone saying that the 'song well has dried up'.....well he has been doing that since Spacemen 3 so I guess the well was empty a long time ago then?

Onto the 'second half', well I would have paid the money for that alone. Shine a Light, Sway, Take Me to the Other Side were bloody great in my humble one.

I was sat in the stalls right hand side of the stage and kind of agree with the sound. For the first 3 or 4 songs I thought my ears were shot - just heard a mush of sound, but after that, to me they seemed to sort it out and it was much crisper such that I could make out the individual pieces much better. After the encore, with just the band, it was a much better sound and the tone on Take Me to the Other Side was top notch. Perhaps the RAH suits that style rather than many, many overlaid sounds.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

...and there was no balloon drop, bloody recession :x
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I thought they could have made more effort with their hair

I thought it was fucking good by the way
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

the opening song was fantastic. what guts to go out and play a 10 min (or whatever it was) song no one knows. it was a great concert. do you think it will be added to the fabled list of recordings that will be released? (acoustic mainlines, ladies and gents etc)

the new songs- in past interviews he has said that this album was a reaction to how wonderful ladies and gents is/was. could you see any link?

no references to jesus, fire or love?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

helterskelter wrote:I thought they could have made more effort with their hair
Genius!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

That show was... fucking incredible.

More, later, just now travelling back up north after five days of enjoyable mayhem.

But, what a gig. Loved it. That last new song was unbelievable. Wow... :)
O P 8
theagonaltrace
New user

Post by theagonaltrace »

I'm amazed how divided the board is on this. I thought it was a genuine return to form. I have been underwhelmed to say the least by the last couple of albums. If last nights performance was anything to go by the new album will be a vast improvement.

It seemed to me that the vast majority of the audience remained utterly captivated for the entire length of the new set, by the time it ended the mood was one of stunned euphoria. I would describe this as an unquestionable success. Performing a set of new material to a mostly unsuspecting audience would be suicide for most bands, I see it as testament to how good the new songs are that on the whole the audience were won over and carried on such a spectacular journey.

As for the choir / orchestra, if they were mere ornamentation then bloody hell I'll take it. I thought they sounded incredible. I truly believe Jason enlists them with the sole intention of enhancing the experience for us gig goers. It would certainly be a very expensive way to make your songs appear "epic". I'm sure the songs work perfectly well without the additional backing however so far as I can see Jason has always done whatever it takes to bring the very best performance to his listeners.

I say well done Jason, the confidence you obviously have in your new album is certainly justified and thank you for investing so much in your fans.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

i was sitting on the right hand side about as far round as you can get - not sure why I ended up with those tickets but it was a mistake. The sound was very poor in that area - like listening with your hand cupping your right ear. The new songs just weren't coming through and it was a bit of an anti-climax, I mean it is the RAH and I had a 6 hour round trip to see it. I was expecting more. Don't get me wrong I was sure that I was liking the new songs but the poor sound was spoiling them. Jason sat with his back to our area which seemed strange - although there was a good view of Doggen giving his guitar some!

About 6 songs in we decided to move - there were some areas which were abit more central with no one sitting there so we moved there instead. The difference was very noticable. The sound far better, the view better and it improved my enjoyment immensely. The encore was great - Take Me To The Other Side was my favourite - guitars just sounded mean!

I think the upsides were that there seems to be good potential in those new songs, so I'm looking forward to the album. The encore & everyone coming back out for Happy Day was good too. The RAH does look amazing so I'm glad I went. Bass player was sounding good too. Downsides were that the sound at the edges was poor and spent alot of time looking at Jason's back. The new song about 'Jesus' near the end of the first set just didn't do it for me. The lights just weren't enough to reach out into the audience - compare them those at the festival hall for the Ladies & gents show, as that show the lights felt all encompassing and when things kicked off it was a complete immersion of the senses. Last night for me never got to that level.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

i felt, that if anything, the problem with the lighting was that the audience area had too much ambient light, so you had to really focus on the stage.

I thought the lighting was pretty good during the final wig-out, all things considered.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Front row.

Speechless...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

FAO Modlab, Mark, apologies for the no show after the gig last night, explain all later, just home
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I had a great night. Enjoyed most of the new songs, - its a all bit of a blur so I can't comment on individual tracks, but I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Very brave and impressive to play the whole(?) new album like that, I think it worked, but agree the sound was a bit muddy. I was in the stalls, but a mate of my who was standing said he went of on a tour checking out the sound in different places, - said it was really different, so maybe its the luck of the draw where you are sitting / standing.

Good to see some different songs in the second set as well - Sway was sublime and Good Times was quite literally back! I am so pleased it and Lay Back in the sun have both been brought back to life

Just want to hear it all again tonight - perhaps slightly soberer - its going to be a long wait till March.
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

http://www.statusquo.co.uk/tour10-11.html

Link here to some Status Quo dates for those who like their shows to be a little more predictable. :lol:
nimatiks
Known user

Post by nimatiks »

stevelee101 wrote:http://www.statusquo.co.uk/tour10-11.html

Link here to some Status Quo dates for those who like their shows to be a little more predictable. :lol:
... hilarious! :lol:
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I thought the sound was a bit muddy/too much mid. However, the new tunes are going to damn good, in my opinion and that's been formed with the aforementioned sound issues. I think the sound did seem to get better and better a it went on.
Must have been some tinkering done on the fly. Amazing venue and still happy I was there.
Be great to hear these when they're released next year.

Was good to see a few old faces too
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

I Am What I Am - this is a reworked version of the song from circa 98, isn't it?
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Right, enough arguing chaps...any recordings?
sonicboom3
New user

Post by sonicboom3 »

Im feeling a bit shortchanged Mr Pierce! Edinburgh & Leamington get the band with 2 backing singer; great as the Edinburgh show was, but i get the feeling that these 2 gigs were just warm ups for the RAH with the orchestra & choir.

not the first time either!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

sonicboom3 wrote:Im feeling a bit shortchanged Mr Pierce! Edinburgh & Leamington get the band with 2 backing singer; great as the Edinburgh show was, but i get the feeling that these 2 gigs were just warm ups for the RAH with the orchestra & choir.

not the first time either!
To be fair, the Albert Hall tickets were a fair bit more expensive than Edinburgh or Leamington.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

did anyone look up and see the people standing behing the railings at the very top of the hall? who were they- stage hands? his celeb mates? windwo cleaners?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Greeny wrote:Poor old Doggen and Coxon were playing their hearts out and I couldn't hear a bloody note (on floor, front-ish).
i couldn't hear much else... (not a complaint!) :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzpvnBmCwM
Last edited by moop on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

"Mary Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow?"
As mentioned elsewhere, I assume this is a nod to the Can song off of Monster Movie*. At Edinburgh they were playing quite a few Can tracks over the sound system before the band came on.

*The closing track of which, You Doo Right, repeatedly has the line "Once I was blind, but now I see, you made a believer out of me", which Primal Scream may have paid homage to on a certain Screamadelica track :wink:
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Review from last night from the Evening Standard:-

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/rev ... -review.do
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Looking for my flame thrower. This reviewer has listened to Heathen Chemistry ergo we need not worry too much about their opinion. The 'Mary, Mary' lyric is quote from a nursery rhyme... I fail to see the problem.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

spzranger wrote:Review from last night from the Evening Standard:-

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/rev ... -review.do
Great review and now I know what Dio C'e means....

Listening to the lyrics of the new songs made me wonder if Jason hasn't converted... the Jesus references seem less questioning (from what I remember) and now we discover that the last track is called 'God Exists'... good on him if he has... it ain't my thing (the older I get the more of an atheist I become) but I support anyone who finds a way thru this life...
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

theagonaltrace wrote:It seemed to me that the vast majority of the audience remained utterly captivated for the entire length of the new set, by the time it ended the mood was one of stunned euphoria. I would describe this as an unquestionable success. Performing a set of new material to a mostly unsuspecting audience would be suicide for most bands, I see it as testament to how good the new songs are that on the whole the audience were won over and carried on such a spectacular journey.
Well said.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

It's good but the last Spectrum gig I saw was better.

Take Me To The Other Side highlighted that there is no 'edge' to the stuff that J is putting out in the 21st Century.

And I did laugh when somebody in the crowd shouted "Wonderwall!" in between songs.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Very interesting - and telling, I think - to see opinion divided among the faithful.

Unsurprisingly, for a hardcore fence-sitter such as myself, I find myself somewhere in the middle.

Having read the Edinburgh feedback I was expecting a raft of new stuff and so that didn't particularly throw me. I was sitting stage left in the stalls, a great view practically opposite JP, but the sound wasn't great. It took a couple of tracks before the volume stabilised and probably three tracks before I was warming to the gig.

The excellent review, posted previously, on http://www.theartsdesk.com pretty much nails how I felt about it all.
I wondered if the familiarity of the opening sounds of each song was a deliberate method of echoing previous material for what could be a final album. A pretty neat way of tying things up by recalling triumphs past for the swan song.
Probably wrong there, I mean, why would he be thinking of finishing the Spiritiualized story?

The closing number of the first half was rousing, euphoric, orchestral and almost overwhelming for me. He's done it before of course, but this time (while holding down the lump in my throat) I was also trying to place why it sounded so familiar. It occurred to me during the wait for the encore: Embrace. (OK shoot me now, but they do the orchestral, euphoric, rousing, anthems very well and I like them)

A couple of the new ones had a lot going on in them and it didn't quite seem to be fitting into place, but I put that down to the acoustics from my position in the hall. At times, though, it sounded a bit like that moment at a festival when you're standing in a field and can hear noise from 2 or 3 of the stages at the same time.
The funk thing left me cold, though, I have to say.

I loved the strings and brass section though. A couple of the cello players played the entire concert with smiles on their faces, like the recognition of a classically-trained musician recognising a wonderful piece of music.

Spiritualized have spoiled us though with some amazing music and JP has set the bar very high when it comes to standards.

If this concert fell slightly below some people's expectations, then it is bound to happen at some point or other.

But they are still light years ahead of their contemporaries. (If they have any)

(
NB: Recordings
I did record it, but the quality isn't great, although that suits me cos it is only meant as a souvenir. Wouldn't want to be accused of spoiling any official release. But how do I upload it? It's 2 hours long, and unsplit.
Also, there was a lovely moon. Might make a nice bootleg cover....)
Attachments
RoyalAlbertHall11oct11.jpg
RoyalAlbertHall11oct11.jpg (228.02 KiB) Viewed 25589 times
sml42
Known user

Post by sml42 »

that is a lovely photo!

generally enjoyed the new material. i was mesmerised at one point early on (get what you deserve?). the lighting show was largely boring - almost entirely monochromatic. from where i was sitting the sound was fairly decent although i thought the orchestra were lost in the (audio) background.

actually i remember, as we were being treated to new songs, thinking to myself 'this sounds familiar'. i mean that in a good way - it makes the new stuff immediately accessible. yeah. i'll will look forward to the album :)
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

couple of (not very good , crap camera) pics from the other night, post my review/thoughts later when i get 10 mins :)
Attachments
zzspz1.jpg
zzspz1.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 25447 times
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

zzspz2.jpg
zzspz2.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 25447 times
Attachments
zzspz3.jpg
zzspz3.jpg (28.57 KiB) Viewed 25447 times
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

and no, i wasnt the little guy who took pics throughout the WHOLE show, doing many peoples heads in in the process!!!! :evil:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Starfish wrote: The excellent review, posted previously, on http://www.theartsdesk.com pretty much nails how I felt about it all.
ah common, you have to expect what you get. i suppose i'm lucky having seen them before i've seen most of the 'hits' and it was nice for a change. i can't recall anyone calling acoustic mainline self idulgent- 5 new songs, three daniel johnston covers, one spacemen three song, one stand alone single, one b-side, tracks off albums people claim to like less (hold on, lay it down slow, lord let it rain, anything more etc)- this is on the average night- other songs were for other nights etc. he is from the school of thought of the likes of lou reed, dylan etc where you play the show you want and hope that others tag along- if not c'est la vie. if you've heared the bootleg of dreamweapon and know the story behind it then why is anyone surprised? i was surprised-pleasntly but then more fool moi for thinking they lacked what it took to do what they've always done
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

In the interests of balance I should emphasise that it wasn't the choice of opening with all new material that bothered me about the show, it was the fact that a fair proportion of that material was *to my ears* very uninspiring, the sound was dreadful in both places I stood and the staging was low-rent to say the least.

I have nothing against experimentation, indeed a lot of gigs I've been to in places like the Barbican and Festival Hall contained music I've never heard before in my life. I do think that people's gripes about the change of tack from "career spanning setlist" have some justification, because the show was not performed as billed, but that wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest if I'd actually enjoyed the new stuff rather than mostly being bored by it.

All this bullshit about Status Quo is just a red herring, whatever jest it's meant in...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

bunnyben wrote:you have to expect what you get.
Greeny wrote: it wasn't the choice of opening with all new material that bothered me about the show, it was the fact that a fair proportion of that material was *to my ears* very uninspiring, the sound was dreadful in both places I stood and the staging was low-rent to say the least.
I don't think that anyone who reads this messageboard regularly could have been surprised by an unfamiliar set, after the comments from Edinburgh revealed it was showcasing practically an entire new album.

That's admirable. Most audacious and showed JP to still be able to push boundaries.

The first time I heard "Soul On Fire" and "Dio C'e" was as live versions and I thought they were beautiful and uplifting.

I can't say the same for "Mary" or "Heading For the Top" or "Hey Jane" (but that might have been due to the poor sound)
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

on a more important matter... do you think he sleeps in that t-shirt?
marmalade
Known user

Post by marmalade »

Starfish wrote:on a more important matter... do you think he sleeps in that t-shirt?
haha, just spotted it was the same one he was wearing in Edinburgh
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Starfish wrote:on a more important matter... do you think he sleeps in that t-shirt?
he blew his budget on the harmonica
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BzaInSpace wrote:That show was... fucking incredible.
Yep. Needed a rest after five days of supreme mayhem and good times, which was definitely and assuredly topped off by that show. Never been to the Royal Albert Hall before so that was an experience in itself, cue getting lost/losing people, having some weird Lynchian moments where the long circular corridor seemed to be rearranging itself with whole bars vanishing...

I only had one Jägerbomb, honestly officer... :D

The show itself was unbelievable!
We brought two people along who'd never seen them live before and they were completely blown away as well... the missus and her pal both fancied the new bass player as well, so the omens were good.
I was going fucking mental right down the front+centre so apologies if you were caught up in that. From where I was the sound was good. Not insanely loud as I would have preferred but it is the R.A.H. with it's "notorious echo". Maybe the vocals too quiet earlier on but as said here already, it got better as it went on.
One thing I note, despite the obvious love for the music with the reception and applause I have no idea how anyone could stand still through some of that - at one point midway through the first set it occurred to me that the band must have been listening to a lot of Isaac Hayes, Barry White, Trouble Man, they were seriously channeling the big orchestral funk! Awesome. Yet another facet of this band which hasn't really been explored before (the bridge part in 'The Twelve Steps' was a pointer for that maybe).

"We've always had a dance element to our music..."

I think the thrill of hearing of hearing all this new music was just something else, so much of it just clicked with me right away, all credit to J & co for being challenging and doing something different...so many bits that stick in my head: just seeing the string players and choirs lining up at the beginning - wow. Doggen going totally wild on one song - mental! Thinking they were gonna play 'Ladies and gentlemen...' and it was actually 'Mama Said'. 'Life is a Problem' again, but really s l o w... but not at all depressing - the opposite in fact.

And that last (new) song (Dio C'e?) - unbelievable, just unbelievable. That was seriously spine-chilling stuff, and it kept building and building. That has gotta be one of the best bits of music I've ever heard, live or otherwise,

Loved the classics - the moment into 'Shine A Light' gets me every time, 'Good Times' was exactly that and I was completely lost within 'Take Me to The Other Side'. A definite highlight at the 2008 show, so was excellent to hear that again. That part when it all fades off apart from Jason's guitar, which is all sustained feedback... madness. The whole place was glowing by that point!

The fact that reviews here and elsewhere (except that terrible Drowned in Sound review - "were you even at the same show as me?" - flamethrower indeed) are so mixed, hey, it's gotta be a good thing. I've read about someone else playing the Royal Albert Hall to extremely mixed reviews. And that was back in 1966... :wink:

The fact that the first song of the evening is actually called 'Hey Jane' is, personally, perfect and mindblowing... :wink:

It's been a terrible year for getting to gigs - so a true privilege to be there and having my mind blown, and

My Soul Has Been Spiritualized®

Again.

Lastly, great to see some old faces. A pleasure to meet you all. The pre gig drinks session in a beautiful area of Camden with The Scottish Contingent was excellent. And to the visitors from Japan - I'm sorry I have forgotten all your names but you were amazing and it was great to meet you. Fella - your suit was sharp as fuck!

Humble and Honoured. Roll on March... 8)

O P 8
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

BzaInSpace wrote: One thing I note, despite the obvious love for the music with the reception and applause I have no idea how anyone could stand still through some of that - at one point midway through the first set it occurred to me that the band must have been listening to a lot of Isaac Hayes, Barry White, Trouble Man, they were seriously channeling the big orchestral funk! Awesome. Yet another facet of this band which hasn't really been explored before (the bridge part in 'The Twelve Steps' was a pointer for that maybe).

"We've always had a dance element to our music..."
I agree! I couldn't stop dancing - the attendants kept asking me to sit down. - sorry if I annoyed anyone nearby.... - I don't think they've been that funky since 1993 - there was a brief moment around that time, - that incredible Coventry tic toc gig, of course - where with the horns there was such a groove to the music, as well as being insanely psychedelic. After that they paired it down, dropped the horns, and went for a much more straight ahead rock noise, and more of an angry sound.

I'm listening to I am what I am from Edinburgh now, - its got a fantastically dirty groove...better than the original version

I for one am very happy to see a more upbeat, less maudlin Spiritualized, but I know everyone's got their own idea of how they should sound...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

BzaInSpace wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:. I've read about someone else playing the Royal Albert Hall to extremely mixed reviews. And that was back in 1966... :wink:
who was that then? the night in question i was in manchester watching dylan get called judas, who was at albert hall? sir cliff?