Royal Albert Hall, October 11th, 2011.

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

solarflarez
Known user

Re: Royal Albert Hall, October 11th, 2011.

Post by solarflarez »

marmalade wrote:
Starfish wrote:on a more important matter... do you think he sleeps in that t-shirt?
haha, just spotted it was the same one he was wearing in Edinburgh
and RFH 2 years ago!!!!
BugTomek
New user

Post by BugTomek »

Great show! I like it when bands do stuff like that (playing mostly new stuff, unknown to the audience - Massive Attack does that regularly I think). I actually expected it to not be that good (the last years Spiritualized isn't really a great concert material after all) to be honest :) The sound could be better, especially in the beginning, true. Also, what bugged me a little was that the songs weren't too original: felt like A+E with LGWTS arrangements. But nonetheless, cool gig and a worthy trip to UK.
By the way: anyone knows titles of the last two songs played before the show? Especially that one long epic full of guitar feedback (think it was penultimate pre-show song)?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Royal Albert Hall, May 26th & 27th, 1966

Post by BzaInSpace »

bunnyben wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:. I've read about someone else playing the Royal Albert Hall to extremely mixed reviews. And that was back in 1966... :wink:
who was that then? the night in question i was in manchester watching dylan get called judas, who was at albert hall? sir cliff?
Er... Dylan played at the Royal Albert Hall following the infamous Manchester Trade Hall gig. I don't believe the reception was any less mixed or any more positive - I read the Beatles were up in one of the boxes shouting back at the hardcore folk twats that insisted on shouting abuse at Dylan and co.

Meanwhile, back in 2011...
O P 8
bunnyben
Known user

Re: Royal Albert Hall, May 26th & 27th, 1966

Post by bunnyben »

BzaInSpace wrote: who was that then? the night in question i was in manchester watching dylan get called judas, who was at albert hall? sir cliff?
Er... Dylan played at the Royal Albert Hall following the infamous Manchester Trade Hall gig. I don't believe the reception was any less mixed or any more positive - I read the Beatles were up in one of the boxes shouting back at the hardcore folk twats that insisted on shouting abuse at Dylan and co.

Meanwhile, back in 2011...[/quote]

:wink: i was being pedantic to the mistitled bootleg cd
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

97 it was not
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mark wrote:97 it was not
indeed, it was (and still is) 2011 :D
bisonheed
Known user

Post by bisonheed »

Not had a good rake through the rest of the board yet so apologies if I'm repeating anything, but on the floor the sound was terrible. It picked up a few tracks in with a bit of knob twiddeling, but even then it wasn't anywhere near up to par for not only them, but for the venue. If the choir had missed the bus that night I wouldn't have been disappointed as they were all I could hear for the majority.

Only light after a very flat gig was finding out they will be playing the Glasgow ABC again next year - scene of my favourite Spz gig to date...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

I'm amazed by how many people did not enjoy this gig. I had the time of my frigging life!! But then I love hearing new stuff and this was exceptional.
bunnyben wrote:he is from the school of thought of the likes of lou reed, dylan etc where you play the show you want and hope that others tag along- if not c'est la vie
And that is one of the main reasons I love the Spaceman, he does not (and should not) care what we think...

To be honest I kinda got off the bus for the duration of LICD, it is only recently that I have been able to enjoy that album, Amazing Grace caught my interest in places but it wasn't until A&E that I got drawn back in... and now I'm as obsessed as I was during LGM, Pure Phase and L&G.

If you aren't digging his current vibe then maybe there will be another bus in good time, and you will catch that one instead...
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

BzaInSpace wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:That show was... fucking incredible.

We brought two people along who'd never seen them live before and they were completely blown away as well... the missus and her pal both fancied the new bass player as well, so the omens were good.
That’s hilarious, maybe my girlfriend will come to the next gig if I tell her the bass player is “fit” :D

Just wanted to say that even though this show didn't turn out quite how I expected I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

Listening to this now - and many thanks sml42 - the new stuff reminds me of LICD time more than anything else, but have to say that so far, apart from Freedom, Jason's vocals are pretty off... don't know if it's just the mix?
Kowalski
Known user

Post by Kowalski »

That's the 5th time I've seen them and it was easily the best performance I've seen from them. It was very brave to do the whole of the new album but it sounded immense and will win next year's Mercury Music Prize! I thought it was awesome.

I was in the upper circle and the acoustics were pretty good up there. And what a stunning place for a gig (first time I've been).
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Well, that was a turn up for the books. Not that they played all the new album but the fact i actually found myself enjoying it! For me personally i reckon i liked 55% of the new material, the other 45%, not at all. They may read like poor numbers but for me they're the best percentages Spiritualized have had since L&G. First and last tunes were great, also Mary and whatever that kinda funky one was called. But the ballads, oh Christ! They just seem to get worse with each album.

Plus points of the night: The pacing of the show. Seemed to go one good tune, one poor, one good etc. up to about song 5 or 6 which is when things begin to blur for me. This meant there was no massive midset lull like there has been on the past couple of tours.

Feeling genuine excitement at hearing new material :shock: Haven't experienced that with Spiritualized in 10 years.

None of the livelier songs were re-hashes of Electricity.

The encore. Sway, Shine A Light and Good Times were excellent.

Jason smiling broadly at the end of the gig as he applauded the audience. Fair few people shocked by that.

Lowpoints: The proliferation of ballads in the new material when he seems to have created a new sound with the spacier and/or upbeat stuff. Why not go down that road instead?

Like alot of others i thought the sound was poor and quite muddy for the first few songs. I was standing a few rows back centre stage. Thought the light show was poor too.

Myself and my other half been so skint that we couldn't afford to go on a meet up either before or after the gig. :(

All in all though an enjoyable evening. I even enjoyed Oh Happy Day, a song i usually detest. Kevin, great to meet you again. Also shout outs to Angelsighs and Olliemorr, nice to make your acquaintance. Barry, you were too far gone when i tried to say hello :lol: Saw a couple of other board members in the crowd too ( Shaun, Mark ).

Anyone know how many tickets were sold? Venue looked and sounded very empty.

Anyway I think we're looking at best album since L&G and that these new songs are going to sound fantastic live in 12 months time when the band are really in the groove. Never believed i'd write a sentence like that again for Spiritualized. :D

Working title for the new album? NEVER MIND THE BALLADS...
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I think your review is a good summation sunray

http://m.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/ ... pe=article

Slightly belated review from the guardian. Interesting snippet about illness. Sincerely hope he is fully mended now
NW5casual
New user

Post by NW5casual »

Can't work out why people who stood are moaning about the sound. You do something about it.

I went in just as they kicked in - stood left, stood opposite Pierce. Sound very light and a bit weak. Simple. Moved back and central. Got the full force. The huge speaker above might have been a giveaway.

One of the best gigs ever. All these boring bollocks moaning about being shortchanged. Pathetic.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

solarflarez wrote:and no, i wasnt the little guy who took pics throughout the WHOLE show, doing many peoples heads in in the process!!!! :evil:
The missus and me had that thing flashing in our faces all night.Felt like sticking it where the sun don't shine. Surely there's only so many pictures you need of Jason!!!
On a brighter note - no loud chatterers near us for a change - not much elsewhere from what I heard

Just listened to They Transmit's you tube up of Hey Jane .Blinding.
On the night Jason's singing to me was really inaudible during the first half -not so here.
This clip adds even more life and depth to the song.Looking forward to the flac uploads.

Ps If anyone is looking to sign up for a Dime account I have just got in first try - I understand it is usually a lot harder than this
Zenith
New user

Post by Zenith »

Talk about polarising your fans.....

I've been to at least one show from every UK/ Ireland tour since LGM, but I missed the first RAH due to illness. I wasn't sure what to expect this time around - after all, that live album is pretty much THEE definitive Spiritualized experience, plus they've done an acoustic tour, they've played LAGWAFIS in it's entirety.... what else can they do? Play Pure Phase on stylophones?

Well, they do what any self-respecting artist would do, and start all over again.

I listened to the first half of the show with a mixture of trepidation and excitement. I went with my missus who saw them on the Amazing Grace and A&E tours and then the Barbican "Ladies and Gentlemen" show, and she was expecting a similar full-frontal aural assault. BUT, she found most of the night painfully slow, too ballad-driven and very very safe. Other than Hey Jane, the heavy voodoo groove one, and the last track, she didn't like much of it until they came back for the encores.

Which put me in a poor position. I had literally dragged her to London (from Belfast) to see the show, so I felt that I had to constantly defend them as she yawned and looked around at the architecture. And she has a point. There were probably a few too many mid-tempo rockers to make the show truly engaging to casual listeners, whether they were new songs or the slow ones off LICD.... At least she went to the bar for me...

I think the lack of atmosphere/ lighting didn't help, as we were about 4 miles away in the upper circle, and the smoke machines may as well have been Benson and Hedges from where we were sitting, but ... and here's the thing.... it was something I'm never going to experience again. I'll never hear those songs fresh, without production or prior knowledge again. I'll never get that tingly feeling when I thought they were going to play Electricity but completely wrong-footed everyone and it turned into something else completely. . ... or listening to Hey Jane literally eat up and spit out my record collection... or the point in the heavy voodoo groove where the band sounded like the tighteset loosest band on the planet.... and those little moments where the backing singers just la la la'd and shimmied along, even though Doggen seemed to be playing the heaviest sludge metal on the planet.....

This could have been a safe bet, another great Spiritualized show to catalogue among the other great ones, where the line-up changes, the venues get bigger, then smaller, the audience gets older, the songs get re-arranged, the arrangements get re-arranged, the choir disappears, the brass section returns, but it all sounds like Spiritualized and the only differences are small ones..... Who else would do the unimaginable, wrong-foot everyone, play so much new stuff and turn it into an event (remember the LICD lauch shows?)

Especially when so many other bands are doing the space/drone thing, Jason's doing his own thing.
And that's worth celebrating.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

that sounds amazing! are you planning on mastering the other tracks? i imagine it's quite a time-consuming process, but if you were planning on it, I really can't wait to hear the other new tracks in such clarity. :D

I think a lot of people's experiences of the gig/new tracks were overly coloured by where they were in the audience. I'm guessing that the other gigs were a little more representative of what the band were going for. But having said that, I kind of enjoyed the haphazard mix for what it was. The bootleg (esp the remastered track) does a very impressive job of painting a relatively balanced mix of things, but I really liked having Doggen's guitar way too high. I remember standing there with a cheshire cat grin during those moments where he seemed to have transcended planet earth. As much as I'm impressed by the recording, this aspect appears to be largely lost on the bootleg (you can kinda hear him in the background on IAWIA though). on the other hand, based on these recordings I would have liked to have heard more of the orchestra and jason's voice (which was much lower from where i was)
...swings and roundabouts i guess. ...but aren't spiritualized gigs supposed to be a bit chaotic? haha...

In terms of the new songs, I *really* enjoyed them. I'll reserve judgement a bit on the ones that seemed the most ballady, since a lot depends on how jason decided(decides??) to mix them on the album version. I'm hoping some of Doggen's chaotic lead guitar makes it through to the final version. I never liked 'life is a problem' much but i thought it worked better in super slow-mo. I reallllly liked the darker/fuckier tracks. That edgier, more aggressive side of his stuff has always appealed to me. 'Mary', in particular seemed to hit the nail on the head. I loved the tracks that kinda segued from one section into another (hey jane / poppy->so long). That riff at about 5 mins into Hey Jane is just sublime...and with the bass underneath it, both melancholic and euphoric. And poppy->so long (perhaps partly due to being 2 songs?) built from despondency to a kind of existential optimism. It made me want to sing along even though i didn't know the words. gotta be a good sign..

Oh, and Sway! If you had asked me for a request, that would have been my number one choice. but actually the whole encore was just perfect. As people have mentioned, Cheapster never sounded so good, and Take Me to the Other Side...just wow!

Ah, BZA so that was you going mental at the front. Good stuff! Obviously I didn't know then, but I was standing right next to you most of the time. Glad you had a great night - i certainly did.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I'm just finishing up Sway now actually, be about another hour I reckon.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

They Transmit wrote:I'm just finishing up Sway now actually, be about another hour I reckon.
cheers, you're a true leg-end!

In other news, I just noticed it's impossible to make curry-related puns on any of the new titles. a sad realisation indeed!

Oh wait...

Free(poppa)dom is yours if you want it. You just don't know what you eat...

:roll:
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

right, so much to say don't really know where to start. it's hard to rank it amongst Spz gigs in general just because of the abundance of new material played. a lot of information to take in. I will say that the artistic decision in general to do that, I totally approve of- fair play to him. maybe they should have just billed it as such!! I'm sure there were a lot of confused faces. as I said to someone on the night, I have a feeling that doing this was his way at hitting back at any accusations of nostalgia that may have come his way after doing the Ladies and Gentleman shows.

overall I'm gonna say the show falls into the 'good but not great' category. sound started a bit muffled but improved as the night went on (but was overall much better than Leamington which was quite muddy). the new songs are all quite poppy and catchy in their own way, even the krautrocky ones had hooks to spare.

thought the rhythm section was brilliant on the new songs- drums were quite intricate and interesting (they were a bit bog standard on A&E I thought) and there were even some bass grooves, and lots of high 'slidey' notes.

my highlights were:
-Hey Jane- loved it, fantastic groove to it and nice wall of noise in the middle which I definitely want to return to the Spz sound on record!
-whichever early rocky one had Doggen doing all the mad squealing noises and pickup switch action (third song was it?)
- I Am What I Am- loved it, loved it, loved it. another groove monster. I've still got the bassline in my head.
-Mary- I've got a feeling that this will divide people. I for one really like it. very melodic and at the RAH came alive at the end with horn stabs and all sorts. has the same dejected feel as Richie Lee but potentially much better I think.

didn't particularly like:
- the 'Ride into the Sun' one.. a bit MORish?
-Life Is A Problem- I've gone right off this song for some reason. not bad but just sounds like a LICD outtake
- the last song of first set.. Dio C'e? am I the only one who doesn't particularly like this? milked it for far too long and 'Jesus this, Jesus that' again.
some of it definitely just seemed a bit of a continuation of the songcraft of A&E but then there was those curveballs. Hey Jane is just fantastic.

the second set was great. Sway was a bit quiet and not as good as in Leamington. but you can't go wrong with TMTTOS or Shine a Light. Good Times far from my fave Spz song but blistering.
so, mixed feelings from me but overall a thumbs up. I loved the whole 'event' of it (I'm sure these gigs will be talked about for a long time), the RAH is a stunning venue and was great to meet some of the characters from the board (even though our quest to find an open pub after the show totally failed)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote: http://m.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/ ... pe=article

Slightly belated review from the guardian. Interesting snippet about illness. Sincerely hope he is fully mended now
that's very interesting. wonder where he has got this info from??
sunray wrote: Anyone know how many tickets were sold? Venue looked and sounded very empty.
I thought it was far from full, but a healthy turnout considering the band have hardly ever set the charts alight and zero promotion. if I was Jason I would have been happy.
sunray wrote: Anyway I think we're looking at best album since L&G and that these new songs are going to sound fantastic live in 12 months time when the band are really in the groove.
I agree. just think how good they will be when they get really tight and really locked in.
I mean, has anyone heard the live debuts of past tracks? pretty rough around the edges sometimes

it was nice to meet you too btw sunray
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fame at last thanks to pic 9 :lol:

Looking at those photos seems to be a lot more people at the gig than i thought.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

sunray wrote:Fame at last thanks to pic 9 :lol:

Looking at those photos seems to be a lot more people at the gig than i thought.
Not wishing to labour a point, but note the number of people with their arms by their sides, or worse-still folded, among that "ecstatic" crowd in pic 9...

Just sayin.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Greeny wrote:
sunray wrote:Fame at last thanks to pic 9 :lol:

Not wishing to labour a point, but note the number of people with their arms by their sides, or worse-still folded, among that "ecstatic" crowd in pic 9...

Just sayin.
i wonder if this wasn't taken at the moment exactly 4:18 into Hey Jane.

is not finish!
lionboy
Known user

Post by lionboy »

Yay! I'm in picture 9 too. Arms raised in applause I'm happy to report.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

for what it's worth, although i'm sure a lot of people were bored (is gonna happen with set full of new material, no matter how good it may be), i know that speaking for myself i'm not really that demonstrative at gigs. i can even have my arms folded if loving the gig. i feel it all insiiide baby :)
gazza
New user

Post by gazza »

Wonder when they will take down the RAH splash on the main websites front page lol
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

the times

Ed Potton
Last updated October 12 2011 1:37PM
Rated to 3 stars

Not many bands premiere their new album five months early in front of a full house at the Albert Hall. Was this monumental confidence on the part of Jason Pierce and his space rockers? Or just evidence that, when double pneumonia has stopped your heart twice (as it did to Pierce in 2005) and you have spent 20 years exploring the farther reaches of drugs, religion and the cosmos, playing new songs to an adoring crowd isn’t that big a deal?

Probably both; Spiritualized have always been defined by their combination of vulnerability and chutzpah. They certainly didn’t scrimp on the spectacle, with their four guitarists, keyboardist and drummer supplemented by three backing singers, a choir and a small orchestra. The 45-year-old Pierce, in jeans and T shirt, sat off to one side on a stool, his guitar in his lap. Audience members shouted out requests and praise throughout but he uttered not a peep, focused on playing the untitled new album in full.

They began with Hey Jane, a two-part epic that was Spiritualized in microcosm, segueing from strobe-lit feedback excess to layered choral psychedelia, with Pierce adding the louche, hypnotic refrain: “Sweetheart”. The squealing riffs and unhinged rhythm section of Heading for the Top recalled the Velvet Underground at their bravest and most cacophonic, while I Am What I Am raised the thrilling prospect of Pierce covering Gloria Gaynor’s gay anthem but turned out instead to be the kind of interstellar gospel jam that he has made his stock in trade.

Of course, when Pierce is writing the songs, pain and redemption are never far away, and this was where the new material began to spiral into self-indulgence, from the agonising, ponderous Mary to Won’t Get to Heaven, in which he exhorted Jesus to be his radio and drive him away from his sins.

It took an encore of earlier work, including the magnificent hurricane riffs of Take Me to the Other Side, a song by Pierce’s former band Spacemen 3, and a glorious, choir-backed cover of the gospel standard Oh Happy Day, to remind you that, when they do it elegantly, Spiritualized and spirituality fit like like a dream.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Not having been there but listening to the boots I'd more or less say this is a pretty fair review all things considered.
Though a few jazz fags and a couple of pints at a live show will always make things that bit better :)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I've had Heading for the Top stuck in my head for 6 days. THAT GUITAR HOOK. Jeez. I love the staccato string parts at RAH, but you could barely hear Doggen's riff.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

toomilk wrote:I've had Heading for the Top stuck in my head for 6 days. THAT GUITAR HOOK. Jeez. I love the staccato string parts at RAH, but you could barely hear Doggen's riff.
unless you could..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzpvnBmCwM
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

ok heres my belated thoughts/review
Albert Hall....never been inside before, amazing place
New material....great, loved it
People I met....very glad I did, :)
View I had....excellent , couldnt have been better
Strobes......wanted more! :)
Sound......2nd half seemed better
Highlights..... Shine a Light, the 3 girls were f**kin amazing, oh and Oh Happy Day was a bit special too
Am I glad i went? .......oh yeah!! all the moaners, well arent you glad you are Spz fan instead of a Coldplay fan? :)
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViKTqEXCuzk

Here's - Cheapster - SAL- TMTTOS- Mastered
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

moop wrote:
toomilk wrote:I've had Heading for the Top stuck in my head for 6 days. THAT GUITAR HOOK. Jeez. I love the staccato string parts at RAH, but you could barely hear Doggen's riff.
unless you could..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzpvnBmCwM
wow fuckin hell that's good!! the sound really does seem to vary as to where you were standing.
Doggen is tearing it up here. he's so talented.

some further thoughts that have come to me about this gig:

- no Pure Phase tone!! wonder if that's gone for good now?
- I am a little sick of Oh Happy Day now
- the bass player did really well. I like his tone and like i said on the new songs the basslines were very prominent.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

1st half straight out of Pink Floyd: Playing Dark Side. Brave and really look forward to the album.
2nd half straight out of a Spiritualized gig. Was great!

Nice to meet new and old faces.

Best,

Mark
Design.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

It's been really interesting to read everyone's differing opinions about the show. I like the point that someone made about how in 6 months time, a lot of people who didn't like the main set of new material will be telling others about how they got to see the new album live at the Royal Albert Hall.

As for me, having seen the Edinburgh and RAH shows, I just feel privileged to have seen such a special set of gigs (special in in terms of the venues and the setlist). That sense of excitement of hearing new Spz material for the first time was exhilarating. It makes perfect sense for Jason to decide to play a whole new album (if that's what it is) as a statement having played LAGWAFIS before. It also takes some massive balls, which I can only admire. Perhaps later. (Sorry, Blackadder is on TV as I type this and I love that joke). For the RAH gig, the second time of hearing the songs was even better than the first, especially with the added orchestra and choir. We were stood on the left, about 1/3 from the front and the sound was fine for me. In particular, Hey Jane and So Long are mindblowingly good. Having listened to the RAH bootleg all weekend, I have the "Sweetheart, sweet life, sweetheart, love of my li-i-ife" refrain from Hey Jane stuck in my head and I don't know if I ever want to dislodge it. I've got 9 months to work on convincing my fiancée to have it as a first dance...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote: I've got 9 months to work on convincing my fiancée to have it as a first dance...
Sorry off topic - but if you don't win that argument perhaps dig out the Evie Sands version of Anyway that you want me as a compromise - that would be my choice if I ever took the plunge!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I have the "Sweetheart, sweet life, sweetheart, love of my li-i-ife" refrain from Hey Jane stuck in my head and I don't know if I ever want to dislodge it.
Amen to that
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote: ...Having listened to the RAH bootleg all weekend, I have the "Sweetheart, sweet life, sweetheart, love of my li-i-ife" refrain from Hey Jane stuck in my head and I don't know if I ever want to dislodge it...
Snap. How awesome is that when the singing hits that particular peak... After a mad week the inevitable comedown finally happened and was in work until last night. That bootleg made the journeys so much easier though,
so thanks again sml, excellent work!

Having digested the show a few more times I can't wait until the new album arrives - it's gonna be amazing. There was so much going on that night it was hard to appreciate so much new material in one go, have enjoyed allowing the music to breathe and grow a bit through listening again:

Really lovin' the 10 min epic that is 'Heading for the Top'. Nice bit of White Light Returned With Thanks... The classic Jerry Lee Lewis pounding piano as well. Remember this live when each 'chorus' (as it were) seemed to be louder than the last. Amazing. I also remember watching Doggen doing insane things to his guitar throughout the entire song - pick-up selector frenzy!
spunder wrote:from a Drowned in Sound user :
Imagine Liam Gallagher found Jesus and decided his favourite Beatles album was Let It Be. Imagine all of this for 75 interminable minutes. Worst lyric of the night? "Mary Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow?" takes some beating.
The Drowned In Sound user is a total fucknut for most of what he wrote as well as this incorrect lyrical quote, as during the epic closing of 'Heading for The Top' (and NOT 'Mary!') it's actually a far darker lyric:

"Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, How Does Your Future Go... Back Street Dealing (Lying?) & Thieving, Does Your Mother Know..." I think it then talks about somebody called "Sadie..." blowing loads of money and shit on drugs. Probably. Not making this up!

'I Am What I Am' - how strange that this song appears again, what 13 years later? Except now it has proper voodoo!
Which is weird in itself as there was a rumour (from here) that it was co-written with Dr. John back then. Don't believe that but always loved the song, and the wry and witty lyrics to the BBC session take - they are different now though aren't they? More amazing rhythm section work at play. Back up vocals are wonderful.

'You Get What You Deserve' - this sounds like a bit of a departure as well. Another long, epic track - 'Electric Mainline' style intro leading into a great vocal from J and the girls. Really dig the beautiful guitar line that keeps threading throughout the song...

'So Long/Dio C'e' - this song is literally spine-tingling. It sounds like something from All Things Must Pass. No faint praise there. Love the piano intro and then it all kicks off. Absolutely fantastic - imagining this as an album closer, getting more and more layers of instrumentation loaded on with each successive verse, exploding into Spector-esque rapture at the end...

Or something. Really though, it sounds like it could be the ultimate Spiritualized® song... I think that was possibly what was being aimed for on Let It Come Down - in particular with '(Don't Just Do) Something' or 'The State I'm In'. Nice that those levels of 'epic masterpiece' are being aimed for again. Arguably.

I also think that if everyone agreed with each other it would be a very boring place indeed, however, totally do not get the weird gripes about the "ballads" which really only made up a small part of the show. In fact, only really 'Too Late' and 'Life is a Problem' could really be considered ballads - and gorgeous, ethereal ones at that. (The latter sounds like something from the Aretha Franklin songbook and for me works even better slowed right down.)

The way I see it these kind of songs have been there from the very beginning - 'Lord Can You Hear Me', 'Come Down Softly...', there's always been a particular type of slow ballad number on every album - Pure Phase is full of 'em! They way these are mixed with the rockier/crazier numbers is one of the things I like most about this music. Once again, its the Velvets thing. 'Sister Ray' and 'Here She Comes Now'.

Clearly some don't like the ballads and love songs, others don't like the heavy noise. I think it all makes it a bit more interesting. You can have both, as Morrissey once sang... :wink:

Anyway, nearly a week on from a heady, glorious show: bring on the March shows!
One Asian Under A Groove wrote:I've got 9 months to work on convincing my fiancée to have it as a first dance...
Aye, a fantastic choice indeed. Good luck!
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I`m with you Bza on the ballads ,with each listen i`m falling for Hey Little Girl a little more each time ,fantastic song,and something about Lifes A Problem sounds different as it never really struck me when they were playing it out in 2009? but its sounding good now ,and your right about these type of songs ,their a signature move for Jason right from the start off his career ,
as for the rest, the uptempo fuller sounding numbers are all doing it for me ,You Get What You Deserve ,the first 2 1/2 min intro,pure Spirutualized then off into something altogether different then finished of with superb fuzz/wah soloing ,throw those in with Hey Jane ,Heading For The Top and I Am What I Am then yes I`m def. looking forward to this album :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:It's been really interesting to read everyone's differing opinions about the show. I like the point that someone made about how in 6 months time, a lot of people who didn't like the main set of new material will be telling others about how they got to see the new album live at the Royal Albert Hall.

As for me, having seen the Edinburgh and RAH shows, I just feel privileged to have seen such a special set of gigs (special in in terms of the venues and the setlist). That sense of excitement of hearing new Spz material for the first time was exhilarating. It makes perfect sense for Jason to decide to play a whole new album (if that's what it is) as a statement having played LAGWAFIS before. It also takes some massive balls, which I can only admire. Perhaps later. (Sorry, Blackadder is on TV as I type this and I love that joke). For the RAH gig, the second time of hearing the songs was even better than the first, especially with the added orchestra and choir. We were stood on the left, about 1/3 from the front and the sound was fine for me. In particular, Hey Jane and So Long are mindblowingly good. Having listened to the RAH bootleg all weekend, I have the "Sweetheart, sweet life, sweetheart, love of my li-i-ife" refrain from Hey Jane stuck in my head and I don't know if I ever want to dislodge it. I've got 9 months to work on convincing my fiancée to have it as a first dance...
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head here, this is a good summary. only thing is I don't really like 'So Long'.. it's well written but just doesn't do anything for me. these things can change though... bring on the studio version.
BzaInSpace wrote: They way these are mixed with the rockier/crazier numbers is one of the things I like most about this music. Once again, its the Velvets thing. 'Sister Ray' and 'Here She Comes Now'.
I agree. Like I said in another thread, the Velvets are perhaps the only other band I can think of who hit those two extremes as well as Spz do. from a soft, tranquil almost lullaby to screaming white noise. and all with this undertow of minimalism, no matter how many instruments you pile on (I remember struggling to sum up the Spz sound to a friend in a soundbite once and came up with 'The Velvets produced by Phil Spector')
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I'm so impressed by the sml42 version (royal albert hall: go to http://tapers.org/download/ and search for spz) I'm worried I'll be let down by the studio album.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Gotta admit some of the slower stuff is kinda growing on me, reminds me strangely of Dark side era Floyd...
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i love this recording- i can't stop listening to it. i love all of the new songs. i think there are a few lines that i find a bit contrived or cliche, but i'm always willing to forgive a few such lyrics when there are others that make up for it (as i think there are here). my favorite of the new songs is 'mary.' i'm surprised no one else has mentioned it- it reminds me of 'the asphalt world' a bunch. so dark and beautiful. i'm loving this sort of sleazy soul approach that i'm seeing in a lot of the new songs. 'hey jane' is quite amazing as well- i love how it just builds and builds and builds. i find myself listening to the new songs more than the encores (with the exception of 'sway,' which is a perfect version that i hope becomes a mainstay when they tour the new album- i've been dying to hear it live and this version sounds like it would be amazing live). thanks so much for sharing this amazing recording!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just realised its been nearly 2 weeks since the RAH show and I've not even bothered to share my thoughts.

IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING!!!! 8) 8)

I was stood to the right of Jason (kinda looking at his back) about 2 to 3 rows from the front with my girlfriend and another mate (who couldn't stop nodding throughout the entire gig). Although the overall sound/acoustics wasn't the best ever,the new material sounded great and left me really excited about the new upcoming album. The fact that this is a cultish band, (almost) fillinjg the Albert Hall and then chosing to play entirely new material is still utterly jaw dropping. The fact that a lot of the new stuff is up there with some of the best material they've done speaks volumes. Yes, the light show was probably a little more subdued than most of us are used to (though, when I moved to the back of the hall for Oh, Happy Day it seemed to be pretty full on) and there were definite issues with the sound in places, this still ranks up there with one of the best Spiritualized gigs I've been to. The fact that Jason can still push all the right buttons after I've seen them nigh on 20 times is truely amazing.

It was also great to meet up with a few of you from the board (Modlab, Shaun, Solarflarez) though I'm gutted not to have the time after the gig to hook up with a lot more of you. Definitely going to try to go to some of the shows in March and I'm hoping they're going to announce a few more neare the time, It will be interesting to see if they're going to play any of the "boutique" festivals next year.

All in all, a great gig, some amazing new material and some brilliant versions of some old classics (and I think that was actually the first time I've heard Sway and Good Times live) in a fantastic venue...how can you go wrong? Roll on March.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

By the way....has anyone got any spare ticket stubs from the gig that they'd be glad to donate? As I was standing I got my ticket swapped for a wrist band and completely forgot to pick up a ticket stub on my way out of the venue. I'd really appreciate a momento of a fantastic night.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jfm55
Known user

Post by jfm55 »

Has anyone posted lyrics to the new songs? I was trying to figure out "Too Late" but my ears just don't do the trick these days.

I have been listening to it and figured out most of it- but I can't figure out that recurring line "baby i'm ?" Just can't figure that out, maybe it isn't "i'm". Help! :)
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Shinesalight wrote:By the way....has anyone got any spare ticket stubs from the gig that they'd be glad to donate? As I was standing I got my ticket swapped for a wrist band and completely forgot to pick up a ticket stub on my way out of the venue. I'd really appreciate a momento of a fantastic night.
You're welcome to mine, PM me your address.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

todays review > http://www.the-fly.co.uk/words/reviews/ ... ritualized

no mention for Runci, sadly. Doesn't this guy do his research?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Greeny wrote:You're welcome to mine, PM me your address.
Cheers Greeny, PM has been sent.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

nghst wrote:I'm so impressed by the sml42 version (royal albert hall: go to http://tapers.org/download/ and search for spz) I'm worried I'll be let down by the studio album.
Holy crap. This is a tremendous recording. Freedom, Too Late and Life Is A Problem are just astonishing.
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

angelsighs wrote:- no Pure Phase tone!! wonder if that's gone for good now?
i really hope not! wasn't it heard during the verses of shine a light? i think so.

btw, i flew in from sweden to see this show. got to hear so much new material, some of which will definitely belong among the best spz-moments. absolutely love the recording, thanks! :D

jason is the kind of artist that i fully trust, so i really don't care what kind of material he plays as long as it's inspired. playing a full new album for a (mostly) unexpecting audience does feel inspired, and i am happy i got to see this. there will most probably come new opportunities to hear 'come together' and 'wwj' for the zillionth time in the future (absolutely love these as well, so not a problem), but some of these new songs might never be played again as part of a regular set?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bbbhenko wrote:
angelsighs wrote:- no Pure Phase tone!! wonder if that's gone for good now?
i really hope not! wasn't it heard during the verses of shine a light? i think so.
you may be right. but it wasn't used as the excitement building opening music, nor between songs.
it wasnt used for the Dont Look Back gigs either
Holden
Known user

Post by Holden »

jfm55 wrote:Has anyone posted lyrics to the new songs? I was trying to figure out "Too Late" but my ears just don't do the trick these days.

I have been listening to it and figured out most of it- but I can't figure out that recurring line "baby i'm ?" Just can't figure that out, maybe it isn't "i'm". Help! :)
On a similar note, anyone figured out the chords yet? I'm guessing D and G figure quite heavily! As someone who only picked up a guitar two years ago (about 20 years too late) I have to say that Spiritualized songs are a joy to play and learn by.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

K.
I am listening to RAH in its entirety for the first time tonight(thank you Bza!).
What a ballsy move playing all new material to start. Its gonna take me a while to get to know these new songs but immediately Hey Jane and Poppy(?) sound fantastic.
Looking forward to the new record.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TogetherWeCan
Known user

Post by TogetherWeCan »

I didn't know I was going until 8 on the night and almost didn't because I said I'd be elsewhere. So glad I did though. Didn't catch the start but caught most of it and I thought the end was especially terrific. Glad I was given standing tickets though. Was very strange looking around at all the people sitting and watching when things got a little louder. Unfortunately I’m a Albert Hall regular because of my girlfriends occupation, but it was nice to be there for once seeing new music/ music I like rather than music that’s been on replay for hundreds of years. That said a Philip Glass production I saw my girlfriend in comes a close second. Oh and cirque du soleil of course. Although the higher seats the better for that.

Anyway, hats off. Went in expecting nothing as hadn’t seen live for years and loved it!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'm really hoping the album has the strings on the songs- i prefer the albert hall to the glasgow boot, it's just more beautiful. i'm so glad that i went :D
gazza
New user

Post by gazza »

obviously you mean Edinburgh :)
Last edited by gazza on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

obviously...i think...! either way i prefer albert hall :lol: :wink:
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I've listened to the new songs on the RAH recording over and over the past few weeks. Overall it's my favorite Spiritualized work since Let It Come Down. But more than that I think it is a new direction for Jason. Songs in A and E seemed to me to be a dying gasp filled with beauty and pain (maybe reflecting his own brush with death) whereas the new material seems to be a rebirth for Spiritualized. It's important to me that Jason is heading for the positive in life and his new album seems to indicate that. In Hey Jane, Little Girl, Heading for the Top, and Mary there are words of encouragement for different people living this bittersweet challenging life we live. There is still some despair in Won't Get to Heaven and You Get What You Deserve, but he ends on a high note with Poppy, So Long. There's plenty of good songwriting. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around I Am What I Am - "like the planet that lights the sun...like the road that drives the car...like the sea holds back the land." Then there's the cryptic first line from Poppy, So Long - "Take the long way home past the scary Jesus and you'll find my door with your head in darkness." I think he could save himself time and money and just release this live version of his new album, the quality is that good. However it will be interesting to see if there are any surprises on the studio album.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

It was such a great gig. I don't get people slating the slower songs but its all personal taste isn't it. Im not sure about his theory that the 'Hey Jane' riff was "borrowed" from Black to Comm? Its in a completely different key and its a different rhythm. Ok, it sounds similar but surely any riff with 2 chords will suffer from that issue?

I like to think at the start of Poppy on the bootleg when when someone starts clapping in the intro that it is infact Poppy Spaceman (who Im sure is what that line in the song is about). Its my story and Im sticking to it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

simonkeeping wrote:Im not sure about his theory that the 'Hey Jane' riff was "borrowed" from Black to Comm? Its in a completely different key and its a different rhythm. Ok, it sounds similar but surely any riff with 2 chords will suffer from that issue?
That was my theory and, like you, I'm sticking to it. Except I didn't say it was 'borrowed', I said it was 'based'. Big difference. It's the structure of it and I know a few people who think the same, and the MC5 were a massive influence on Jason. Think of the riff to the Velvets 'What Goes On'. That inspired a thousand songs which have used the same structure albeit with a few different changes and notes - but they took the blueprint from the Velvets. There's no question that 'Hey Jane' uses the vibe and basic structure as 'Black To Comm'. So there.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:
simonkeeping wrote:Im not sure about his theory that the 'Hey Jane' riff was "borrowed" from Black to Comm? Its in a completely different key and its a different rhythm. Ok, it sounds similar but surely any riff with 2 chords will suffer from that issue?
That was my theory and, like you, I'm sticking to it. Except I didn't say it was 'borrowed', I said it was 'based'. Big difference. It's the structure of it and I know a few people who think the same, and the MC5 were a massive influence on Jason. Think of the riff to the Velvets 'What Goes On'. That inspired a thousand songs which have used the same structure albeit with a few different changes and notes - but they took the blueprint from the Velvets. There's no question that 'Hey Jane' uses the vibe and basic structure as 'Black To Comm'. So there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: captain of the debate team. so there :P 8)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thats me told then :wink: