Game of Thrones

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Game of Thrones

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone else addicted to Game of Thrones? I'm about 200 pages into book three, so I already knew what was going to happen this past weekend on the tv series, but I was still on the edge of my seat. Fantastic episode.
olan
Known user

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by olan »

Am on first part of book five at the moment. I watched the first series on DVD but have not bothered with the second. Quite good fun, and the odd quality decapitation scene is always welcome here!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

this weeks ep (Blackwater) was GREAT

but this season (2) has been FUCKING GASH

i was ready to give up on the show & not watch it anymore after the disappointment of this season. but that Blackwater ep got a lot of things correct that have been missing all season (except for lena hadleys terrible acting which is always great entertainment & was strongly evident in this ep).

but like, last yr it was true event television - kids getting pushed out of windows, incest, the killing of a king, sean bean, the others, dragons, wolves.... this yr nothing had happened. we'd crept along incrementally w/o anything really happening. & i mean last yr we were set for a season of epic war & we've had to wait til ep 9 to get some action. & what action - GoT in all it's glory, some great stuff & some utter naff cheap-ass stuff, great quotes & lots of hilarity, &, most importantly, a lot of characters arcs finally developed - the hound, sansa, joffrey, stannis have all finally moved on (somewhat) & they've finally moved on the main plot.

i just hope next week they don't go back to the crap john snow storyline or spend too much time in Quarth w/the dragon girl. & they quota of tits per ep has dried up too, need more of those plz!

i've read the first book on the back of the outstanding first season & have to say it's p boring. don't think i'll bother w/book 2 if it's a reflection of this tv season & just jump onto book 3. but even then i might wait see how i feel after the final episode. if it's a disappointment i'm ready to walk away. again, it's just cause last season was so well set & this yr promised so much only to be served this damp fart of a season i've a feeling this'll be the way of the show/books from here til the conclusion - dragging things out w/o any real resolution..... hope i'm wrong & nxt week sees a cull of characters - hope joffreys head ends up on a spike!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

last ep of S02 was great

so annoyin tho having to wait now a whole year!

when it moves @ that pace it's unstoppable.
hope they don't slow it down again.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I haven't had a chance to watch the final episode yet, but I'm looking forward to it. With a story so lengthy and detailed, you're bound to have some less-than-thrilling episodes devoted to character and plot development, but overall I think season two has been great. I'm about 250 pages into book three and still pretty obsessed.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Occasionally I drank with the harlots...

Great to have this back. Missed Peter Dinklage. Nice to see Ciaran Hinds join the cast.
In between times I've read all the books but am still delighted to see it back, it's really great fun. Wicked & fierce.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I still haven't watched the first episode of the new season. Thoughts? Can't wait to sit down and check it out. I'm going to plow into book 5 soon.

Paul
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Watched the second season over a week recently. Quite enjoyed it, but it lacks the sheer thuggery, cruelty and lack of conscience of the books. I'll probably wait and pick up the DVD Box of season 3 when it come out, as my appreciation of the show seems to benefit from being watched in a concentrated burst, rather than once a week.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I've been looking forward to this ep since reading the books. It was really the moment that the books clicked w/me. I was ready to give up on them when this took place.

Have to say they did a great job.
In fairness to GrrM they were a little heavy handed in comparison (not in terms of melodrama more in minor liberties taken that someone would've had to read the books to notice).
But yea that was great fun.

Nxt week's will be even better!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

So .... RED WEDDING! Thoughts???
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

OMG I JUST REALIZED I FORGOT TO SAY THIS: SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS

have not read the series and...

well fuck. i knew some shit was about to go down (hey it's the 9th ep...), and that there was something grim/doom-y surrounding robb/building up these past few episodes, but...

fuck.

when ned died it felt different.... this just felt deflationary. i'm sure in the books it felt great, can't help but feeling a little bit here though like it was just something shitty and dramatic just to be shitty and dramatic... but damn was it powerful.

how could they close it with anything other than a smash to black.

When ned died I remembered having that feeling of searching for some sort of hope, some sort of way that he wouldn't be dead when the next episode started... they definitely didn't leave you room for that.

rains of castemere began, roose's chain mail revealed, doors closing...

robb tries so hard to follow the rules, be honorable, etc, just like his dad, and it always ends up fucking them over... the one time he broke the rules (marrying talisa).... man did that come back to haunt him.

haven't watched the new arrested development yet, but "I've made a huge mistake" seems like it belongs in game of thrones right now....
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

That scene is even more intense in the book, but they did a pretty good job bringing it to life for the show. I'm really curious what the reaction is going to be to the events that I'm fairly certainly will go down in next week's episode, but I won't give anything away.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i thought it was brilliant. the best episode in the best season so far.
re next week - this period in the books is great. i can't remember clearly the timeline either & whether what you think is going to happen happens in this ep #10 or in next seasons #1. i think it'll happen next week. it'll prob cover stannis/kings landing & maybe theon?? that seems to be the way the shows are structured this yr.
Hofstadter wrote: when ned died it felt different.... this just felt deflationary. i'm sure in the books it felt great, can't help but feeling a little bit here though like it was just something shitty and dramatic just to be shitty and dramatic...
well in the book it takes longer to cover the whole thing.
there's a lot more discussion & debates on various things such the pro's & con's of aligning w/walder frey or the protocols involved in the ceremony such as them making sure they share food under his roof so the freys are bound by custom to protect their guests or some such.
that kinda stuff pads out the longevity & i suppose is a greater relief & payoff when it arrives compared to the tv show.
imagine those people reading the books on the initial run & how long apart the story took to materialize, w/those of us reading the books now or watching the tv show now, time maybe isn't quite on our side in some respects.

the tv show did add a soap opera layer of melodrama to it. that kind of atmosphere does exist in the text to a degree, but grrms prose is a little more rewarding than some of what the actors portray at times, not all of them are great.

but in terms of simple plot development i think robb was living on borrowed time for a while there. his war effort had crumbled around him & he was desperate. tywin lannister was comfortably established in kings landing & his money has a long reach.

yea the starks have been somewhat honourable, more honourable than most. but they've been naive at playing the game.
learned after ned losing his head not to have hope the youngsters will fare much better come the end.. the starks can't be seen as major players any more you'd think. they're so far removed from power, scattered & isolated. it'll be years before they'd even have a chance at getting revenge, they still haven't managed to avenge ned now robb's done.

fwiw the new arrested development is [spoiler]* *** ****[/spoiler].
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

One item of frustration regarding the Red Wedding: in the book Talisa is not there! Why did they change that? I don't know what winds up happening to her in the book, because it hasn't been addressed yet (I'm 100 pages into the most recent one, A Dance With Dragons), but it is a MAJOR change. Also, in the book, Catelyn doesn't kill Frey's wife, she kills his retarded son. No idea why they'd change that, even though it makes little difference.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i thought exactly the same thing. but then i second-guessed myself & then just figured oh well even if they have changed it i gotta let it go now. i kept waiting for her to leave the room before the rains of castemere began & her death was particularly unsavory.

i think the character in the show is different from that on the tv show as well.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Final episode was a massive anti climax after last weeks offering. Not having read any of the books I was expecting an even bigger event last night, alas it wasn't to be. I really enjoyed the episode but was sure something explosive was coming before the end, instead it set things up very nicely for the next season. Fantastic telly all the same! :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A lot of people have been complaining about the season finale, but I thought it was well-done. There were a number of great scenes, even if most didn't involve death and gore (and we still got a wonderful Arya/Dog slaughter of five House Frey cronies). The scene where Tywin basically tells Joffrey to to take a nap is hilarious: "I'M ... NOT ... TIRED!!!!!" Ha-ha! That kid is such a prick. I also thought the ending with the slaves declaring Daenerys as "Mother" was quite powerful.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ep10 prob couldn't help but be an anti-climax. but in general i think it kept up the pace & punch of the season. it just got overshadowed by the red wedding, which in fairness is an iconic moment in the series.
although, 'having said that', the first season delivered a great 1-2 ending: in s01e09 ned loses his head & in e10 they follow it up w/the dragons. this season there wasn't really that same wow-factor blow-out.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

it's back!

took me a couple of mins to get reorientated - was thinking why is this happening? have we not already done all this?
i was confused why it wasn't picking up from the end of the most recent book! what a dummy..

but it was good fun. think it was prob my favourite season opener since s01.

the hound had some great lines. & was obv watching the wire boxset during the season break, a nice reference to omar a man's got to have a code. what the fuck's a 'lommy'?

this season is going to be brilliant.
should be more than just the 10 episodes tho! it's just such great fun!!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I thought it was fantastic. The Hound is such a badass and weirdly likeable. I can't wait to watch the events at the Wall unfold.

Also, JW ... I'm in the same position as you, having read all of the books. It's sort of weird to be dropped back into the middle of the story.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Excellent opening episode, no hanging about. Wanted more at the end, always a good sign.

Yeah, The Hound was great. Like the way the little Stark girl (sorry, can't remember her name :roll: ) looks like she's going to morph into yer one from Kickass!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Arya Stark. Awesome character. She's going to be a total badass down the road, I suspect.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Spoilers here skip if you haven't seen ep 2 season 4!!!

I gotta admit I'm going to miss that little shitbag. Jack gleeson, the actor who played him really did an amazing job. I don't know if ever there was a character I loved to hate more. He was perfect in bringing him to life. He will be missed, he was so much fun from the very get go & never once failed to be a massive fucking dick. Hats off to him.

Good ep overall. Liked the viper/Tywin exchange. There was a load if stuff in the first 20mins as well they got thru p neatly. GrrM did the script for this one, I think it told as well in how well they got the plots/exposition advanced.

& yea I wanted more at the end this ep! The hour just flew by. Great tv.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

jack white wrote:Spoilers here skip if you haven't seen ep 2 season 4!!!

I gotta admit I'm going to miss that little shitbag. Jack gleeson, the actor who played him really did an amazing job. I don't know if ever there was a character I loved to hate more. He was perfect in bringing him to life. He will be missed, he was so much fun from the very get go & never once failed to be a massive fucking dick. Hats off to him.

Good ep overall. Liked the viper/Tywin exchange. There was a load if stuff in the first 20mins as well they got thru p neatly. GrrM did the script for this one, I think it told as well in how well they got the plots/exposition advanced.

& yea I wanted more at the end this ep! The hour just flew by. Great tv.
I believe Jack Gleeson has retired from acting to go back to University.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

in fairness he'll be typecast forever so i can see him wanting to take a step back. but he should take that as a compliment. it rarely is but he'd be the exception. a superb performance.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

What is going on with Little Finger's accent?! :?

A mate of mine reckons it's because he's not in the Court anymore and so he doesn't need as refined a voice. Dunno if that's the case, but it's the only explanation i've heard so far.

Really enjoying this series, possibly the best since season 1.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well..?? ep 9 done..

they're going to have an awful lot of plot to get thru next week..

i expected/assumed they were going to devote an entire ep to this battle but my heart still sank a little when the show opened & it was really going to play out that way.
& then to dump a load of filler into the first 20mins kinda sucked the energy out of me.
think they could've done something/anything else in the first half & then dedicated the second half to castle black - hell, how long have arya & the hound been walking thru wsteros now?! why not wrap up some of that stuff instead of filling time w/made-up BS & dragging dialogue (nothing as egregious as tyrions beetle smashing speech tho - the nadir of the tv adaptation so far..)

that waste of time could've been spent actually wrapping up this particular wildlings thread - & giving [spoiler]*******[/spoiler] his moment of redemption w/o having to share the stage w/other HFS moments that are going to drop in ep 10. think they could've squeezed that in if they'd dispensed w/the fluff at the top of the ep.

& i'm also not too keen on this idea they've gone w/of bringing in neil marshall to do the big battle stuff - i think the in-house directors & crew have an affinity w/the characters & plot that gets lost when the guest directors come in & don't think the supposed technical gravitas of marshall is that special the regular directors couldn't emulate it..

now all that being said, i still enjoyed it. there was a lot to enjoy; the awesome tracking shot of the battle in the courtyard, the giant & his bow & arrow, the sword fights were just cool as shit..
it's just.. it could've been a little more even tho it was really fun??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Yeah i was a bit disappointed that they gave a whole episode to Castle Black, I was far more interested in what was going to happen to Tyrion. Especially after the ending of episode 8 :shock:

It was still a good episode but, yeah, they've got a lot to cram in on Monday.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The future is shit.

Just like the past.

:wink:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Them Dragons sure looked pissed off !
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

timely bump.
season finale next week.

any thoughts on the season so far?

i used to be on team stannis.
now i'm not.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Teenage girls did not appreciate that ending! There were tears before bedtime in our house.

There appears to be a bit of a backlash towards the show recently, that it's gotten too dark and violent. Personally I thought it was a great season.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

We're starting to veer into territory that hasn't been covered in the books yet, which is really weird for me, having read them all. I didn't like the fact that Stannis burned Shireen. That didn't happen in the book (or maybe it just hasn't happened yet). I hope his character is, in fact, dead. There is no longer any point to having him around. Davos, on the other hand, could wind up doing something really cool. As for Jon Snow, I'm pretty curious if he'll wind up coming back in one form or another. No idea where they're going to go with that. I still like the show a lot, but I am disappointed that it's going to end before the books, as I'm afraid the impact of the books will wind up being dramatically diminished.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Has everyone given up on this? Surprised there's been no comments so far.

Knowing that we're now beyond the books (which I haven't read) i'm finding it difficult to get on board with this series.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I think this season has been fantastic so far. Far better than last year, which seemed to tread water a little and threw in some time-killing filler.

I particularly loved seeing Kevin Eldon of Alan Partridge/Chris Morris fame playing a street theatre actor portraying Ned Stark. Brilliant, brilliant casting. I love the little casting curve balls this show throws at us- never in a million years did I think Jerome of Robson and... fame was actually, y'know, brilliant.

I'll not go into too much plot for those who haven't seen it yet, but I think the progress of some of the character plots is interesting and is pointing towards some big push for the final battle for the Throne, and the end of the show itself. I wonder how far away the author is from finishing his new book(s), too. I don't read them either, but must be an unusual position for him to be in. Apparently he's told the show's producers how his story ends. At this rate, the show will have been finished for years by the time he's done writing it. Maybe it's just a huge money-making machine, designed to be a win-win for everyone involved.

I've got a feeling there might be a lull for the next few episodes for the next few weeks before it hits the finale. But I still think despite the flaws, this show is still vastly superior to most things out there right now. It's so lovingly made, beautifully shot and captivating to watch. After the constant crap and exploitative cliffhanger tricks the Walking Dead pulled earlier this year, this show has been a welcome return. Not enough Tyrion, though.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i watch it when i am lent it on dvd and can just lie in bed and watch an episode here n there but it is not something i really like or enjoy (same as mad men). i started watching it as i saw the white walkers and i tohught they seemed interesting but then i didn't see them again for the next few seasons, i only went on to season 2 because of the dragons, again hardly seen. season 4 was fun but the rest just bores me and i can't even be bothered to watch it online on my laptop and if i am not lent the next season on dvd i'll doubt i'll watch it again
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

heisenberg wrote:After the constant crap and exploitative cliffhanger tricks the Walking Dead pulled earlier this year, this show has been a welcome return. Not enough Tyrion, though.
Dunno bout this - in fact with the non-deaths of snow & arya I think the show did stray into that trap. & I think they show could've survived killing both those off, tho I knew it was never going to happen. Would be good too if Dany could be killed but she's untouchable really. (Ayra will prob die a suitably heroic death eventually, but with r+l equation we know more than Jon snow ever will..)

But then ep9 next week expect one or two full time cast members to get the axe. Cersei possibly, she's the only real full time cast member in any immediate peril. Probably not her then..

It's been a decent season, rattled along at a fair only rate until the inevitable lull you forecast in eps 7&8. But we know by now that ep9 in these things is where the action is..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

'You're shit at dying, you know that?' 8) :D
heisenberg wrote:never in a million years did I think Jerome of Robson and... fame was actually, y'know, brilliant.
:shock: As soon as I read that I knew who you meant, can't believe I didn't spot it before.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Dunno bout this - in fact with the non-deaths of snow & arya I think the show did stray into that trap
I was referring to the walking dead's cheap 'we'll tell you who's dead in six months' viewing figures-chasing bullshit. The walking dead finale was extended in time, yet was so full of pointless time-wasting which only served to further emphasise how hackneyed and corporate the ending was this year. The walking dead has basically one story following one group of people. How many storylines and characters is Game of Thrones juggling? At least GoT actually ends each season in a relatively rounded-off way rather than having to desperately cajole us to watch it.

Technically Jon Snow was dead, and even then it was pretty obvious he'd be back somehow. And you only had to wait one week between episode 7 and 8 to find out what happened to Arya too, so I don't think it's quite on the same level.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

sunray wrote:'You're shit at dying, you know that?' 8) :D

:shock: As soon as I read that I knew who you meant, can't believe I didn't spot it before.
Hah, he was on top form this week!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

episode 9, baby!
not watched yet. trying to avoid spoilers. already seen some pics & talk.
hoping some main cast members get culled but suspect it'll be secondary characters like tommen.
i'll be cheering for ramsey & the white walkers ;)
gonna burn brightly
for a while
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

jack white wrote:episode 9, baby!
not watched yet. trying to avoid spoilers. already seen some pics & talk.
hoping some main cast members get culled but suspect it'll be secondary characters like tommen.
i'll be cheering for ramsey & the white walkers ;)
I'm guessing this episode was a disappointment to you, then?

I loved it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Haha! No I really enjoyed it. I'm fickle so will just transfer my allegiance to team littlefinger! Hope he gets to sit on the iron throne. Also was pleased for Sansa, her wicked little smile at the end was the best moment of season 6 for me. She's a major player now, to be reckoned with. Jon snow really knows nothing. He & littlefinger (& bran) better watch out now sansa's found her ruthless streak..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

So the big reveal has been revealed r+l=j.
Oh and some other stuff happened too..
Winter has finally arrived!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Enjoyed that. Especially Cersei.

It'll all end with The Mother of Dragons and the Whitewalker King shagging over the burned and dismembered bodies of the Starks and Lannisters, heralding in an era of mild temperate weather across the Seven Kingdoms.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Arya, just kill them all!
gonna burn brightly
for a while