What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible, MODLAB

Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by Aquarian-Time » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:04 pm

The Warlocks and The Stevenson Ranch Davidians @ Yes (Pink Room), Manchester

Bit of alst minute call to go to this as after a few Bobby H's tantrums over the years, I have had diminishing returns on their shows
No need to worry though, this was superb. Best I have seen them, good mix of stuff covering all albums, sound was excellent and the band all seemed in good spirits, lots of highlights but Come Save Us, Isolation and We Need Starpower were intense.
Support band were the Stevenson Ranch Davidians, reminded me a bit of the much loved (by me) Asteroid#4, psych, folk, alt rock country vibe, very melodic and a shout out to the bass player who was absolutely stunning to my eyes.

No merch hardly, all been sold at previous gigs

Decent night out, venue 1/2 full, maybe 100 in

Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:50 am

Electric Moon, at Bochum Planetarium.

That's the psychedelic space-rock cosmic fuzz trio Electric Moon. In a planetarium.
Two x 90 minute sets in the comfort of a reclining seat while being totally immersed in galactic, oceanic, and hallucinogenic graphics.
Basically like sitting in a moving fractal, soundtracked by a trippy wall of noise put through all the FX pedals.
Far. Out. :shock:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3y8SX7jnJB

Meant to go last year, but failed to get it together. Saw them at The Lexington, in Islington, in July and that made up my mind that I had to get there this year.

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:42 am

Starfish wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:50 am
Electric Moon, at Bochum Planetarium.

That's the psychedelic space-rock cosmic fuzz trio Electric Moon. In a planetarium.
Two x 90 minute sets in the comfort of a reclining seat while being totally immersed in galactic, oceanic, and hallucinogenic graphics.
Basically like sitting in a moving fractal, soundtracked by a trippy wall of noise put through all the FX pedals.
Far. Out. :shock:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3y8SX7jnJB

Meant to go last year, but failed to get it together. Saw them at The Lexington, in Islington, in July and that made up my mind that I had to get there this year.
That sounds fucking incredible. I'm well jealous. I saw Electric Moon a few years back in London and couldn't go this time around. Wonderful band and people.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:43 pm

Full proshot Electric Moon Live set here

https://youtu.be/g_t45PuK_tw

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:13 am

Thoroughly enjoyable gig on Friday night. Gig only let down due to the number of UTTER CUNTS that spent the entire evening chattering at the bar at the back. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE AT GIGS???

Glasgow's Tomorrow Syndicate brought their tasty electro-psych-krautrock to Mono for a rare show. First time i've seen them play live and they were great. Their ability to get their groove on while keeping their motorik, pulsing rhythms is excellent. Hopefully their grace us with the presence a little more frequently. They are on the superb Polytechnic Youth label that is renowned for some really great music. Well worth looking into if you're not already familiar.

Support was great too. Poachers, featuring TS and Helicon's drummer, Seb, on guitar alongside Neil Donaldson on guitar and vocals. Had a few supporting musicians too which helped fill their songs out a bit. Kinda country/folk vibe about them, but singer Neil can fair sing a tune. Harmonies were fabulous too. Reminded me a little of Asteroid No.4's more country vibes.

Second support was a young band called Yolo Manolo. These kids have a really good sound. Can hear a few influences in there (Mogwai, Dino Jr, Urusei Yatsura, elements of shoegaze, etc). Unfortunately, their relatively quiet set was almost drowned out by the pricks in the audience. Worth investigating further though.

next up... 10,000 Russos... THAT is gonna be something special! 8)

stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 am

Not a review of a gig as such. I went to watch The Cult doing their Sonic Temple 30 gig at Hammersmith Apollo on Sunday night. They were great - Billy Duffy was on fire - the songs are made for playing live. But my only grip is that there were far too many people crammed in - it was like sardines, really uncomfortable. Looking on the web it says the venue can hold 5+k and Ian Astbury said it was sold out with 5.5k people. I don't know how the venues calculate how many people should fit in, but it would have been just right with about 1k less in. Obviously that would mean less money for the venue. Have the venues increaed their max capacity over the years - would the same gig in the 80s only have allowed - for example - 4k people in? Or is it just that I'm turning in an old grump git?

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:00 am

quick review of Future Days festival couple of weeks back- a great experience, shows that if promoters put the effort in they can get people through the doors in Birmingham. the venue was great (nice wide room and high stage, great sound). the lineup was almost a mini psych fest and apparently they managed to shift about 70% of the tickets in a fairly sizeable room.

first up Flamingods, from my pre fest research they were the band I was most looking forward to and they didn't disappoint. a proper psych melting pot including lashings of world music and barely a moment to get bored, it never gets gimmicky either. definitely investigating these further.

next up Jane Weaver, a very stripped down set from her, no drummer, just her and another guy on synths, and a guy playing quite minimalist guitar (sometimes just chugging krautrock chords). it was good as a change of pace and hypnotic in its own way, but perhaps a bit too sleepy and stripped down.

Bo Ningen were the opposite- they did their full on heavy psych rock thing, proper balls to the wall, lots of gurning and rock poses. there is a risk that they could get corny but I think there is an element of tongue in cheek, plus you can't fault the musicianship, they were proper tight, great set.

finally The Comet Is Coming. I wondered why they were the headliner, however I could see it was probably for musical reasons, their high energy style is more suited to cap off the night. they've been called psych jazz but for me there actually seemed to be large overtones of electronic dance music- at times it got a bit acid house! they are great musicians but for me they also reinforced the feeling that "less is more" sometimes. an hour of them would have been fine, after nearly 90mins I'd definitely had enough.

hope they do this again next year with a similarly interesting lineup.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 pm

angelsighs wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:00 am
First up Flamingods, from my pre fest research they were the band I was most looking forward to and they didn't disappoint. a proper psych melting pot including lashings of world music and barely a moment to get bored, it never gets gimmicky either. definitely investigating these further.
Didn't think they'd be your cup of tea at all 'Sighs! Would agree with the above though as I caught them when they made their debut Irish appearance last weekend.
Didn't get off to a good start as the onstage power blew within the opening minute! It didn't faze them though and power was soon restored leading to a hugely enjoyable gig playing most of the recent 'Levitation' lp. Oddly enough they reminded me of The Aliens (albeit with a Middle Eastern/Indian bent) in that they could take myriad twists and turns in any song without it ever been wanky and the focus always remaining on FUN :D

They'd be perfect festival fare as they're the kind of band that could raise flagging energy levels, or if you were already in the zone they would compliment the mood perfectly. Recommended.
Bake me a cake and i'll do a handstand

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm

sunray wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Didn't think they'd be your cup of tea at all 'Sighs! Would agree with the above though as I caught them when they made their debut Irish appearance last weekend.
I know what you mean, sometimes my tastes can surprise me. They had technical issues here too, a very long soundcheck then they had to cut their set short unfortunately. However this had an effect of 'leave Them wanting more', something The Comet Is Coming could learn from!
I agree, definitely a fun uplifting band and no time to get bored with all the twists and turns in their songs

Unfortunately when I went to buy something from the merch desk they'd already packed up and gone. I have investigated further though, I must admit Levitation isn't doing as much for me as the other stuff (even though it's presumably what made up most of the set) , it's a bit more conventially rock.

Also-I remember you recommending The Claque to me, unfortunately I didn't get there in time to see them but they seemed to get good reports from friends.

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 am

Moon Duo’s glorious show at the Brudenell on Saturday.

So consistently reliable these guys, and Saturday’s show was probably the best I’ve seen them. What a set. An infectious & enveloping series of driving rhythms made by Ripley’s wonderful guitar peels and Sanae’s synth and keyboard sounds, all powered on by drummer John. It was irresistible and I found myself wondering how anyone could not have enjoyed it. You just got lost in what was going on from the moment they started. The incredible light show – so simple in structure yet so effective – added a considerable layer of enjoyment too. A semi-transparent screen at the front and side with mind-blowing light sequences projected onto them from the rear of the stage. As on previous tours every song had its own set of patterns, and every one was amazing. You wondered what was coming next and I saw quite a few jaws drop at various points, my own included, at just how psychedelic the whole experience was.

It’s worth saying that the sound in the Community Room at the Brudenell is as good if not better than any venue I’ve been to and for Moon Duo it was absolutely perfect. You could hear every note Ripley played, every squeal and squelch from the keys, and every drum beat in crystal clarity. What a treat it is to hear sound as good as that. The whole set was wonderful, everyone around me bopping about, just a really special feeling all round. And, as ever, a pleasure to spend the evening with Mr. & Mrs. BVCP206...

Steve Mason next Friday at the same place with a similar attendee line up…

BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am

Ditto on the above post . Moon Duo at St Bartholomew's church in Brighton. The wandering repetitive rhythms just hook you along . Their light show has, over the years ,got to another level . Just Brilliant.
Nice early night too !

BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:14 pm

I can only echo Runcible & Brokenhearts comments a truly wonderful experience. I urge anybody that has the opportunity to go see them to buy the tickets now :D
'Remember, change is not good'

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:33 am

Moon Duo - Glasgow , BAaD.
I can only agree with the above positives, ultra fantastic light show even by their own standards added to the usual hypnotic reveree they always provide, might be the best set I`ve seen by them yet but then I always come away from one of their gigs with that feeling I think. Heard some mild criticism of the new material, bit light, bit lacking in bite, but in the live environment it all has added muscle and heft, props to the drummer John Hammond, that guy is a machine. First time in this venue, BAaD, quality venue not sure if there`s an gentrification happening in the East End but it had a hands off, rustic vibe, laid back and very relaxed which all added to a great night,

Vampire Weekend - Edinburgh Usher Hall
Bands been on my wish list to see for a long time, mate managed to get me a pair of tickets so went along with my daughter, slightly unusual territory for me if I`m honest but liked all their albums since Contra back in 2010 so grabbed the chance to go,
Usher Hall was sold out well in advance, so pretty packed with a mixed but youngish crowd - at 53 yr old most people are youngish to me now :lol: - that totally lapped it up, a real hodge podge of styles, punk, afro, Japanese style pop, flamenco and even some heavy jamming that I never saw coming never feels forced or bolted on. Mostly playing from the Father Of The Bride and Modern Vampires Of The City albums the 7 piece band, including dual drummers, played for 2 hrs, had two or three of the numbers rattling round my head for days now, really glad wee went.

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Steve Mason- Leeds Brudenell Nov.8
It's always a crap shoot when you buy a ticket to a gig overseas and then plan your trip around said gig.
Again I did this with a sold out Steve Mason gig at Leeds Brudenell.
Five of us showed up at this awesome venue. We walked in and walked right up to the stage. I set my beer on the stage during the show we were THAT close.
Steve Mason is one of those artists I get so much pleasure from and he delivered an amazing career spanning set with songs from all his records and some Beta Band songs. The shocker was I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time which was just amazing.
The encore of Dry The Rain was absolutely incredible with what seemed like the entire venue singing along at the top of their lungs.
Another amazing night at the Brudenell.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 am

As I was one of the 5 mentioned in spzretent's post I can echo all of the above...

Cracking atmosphere in the place with the dickheads who ruined the previous Belgrave Steve Mason show completely absent thank goodness. Curiously the normally reliable Brudenell sound was a mess for opener Inner Meet Me, but by the 2nd tune the mixing desk had sorted the issues out.

It was an excellent set with nuggets chosen mainly from the last 2 albums, but everything was great. The highlight of the main set was Hardly Go Through, which had 2 immense climaxes of shimmering noise which made me feel almost unsteady on my feet. I Walk The Earth as an encore had the whole place bopping - how could you not? - and when he went into Dry The Rain the place erupted. I looked round and everyone was singing along in the chorus, me included. A triumph.

The enjoyment of the evening appeared to obliterate the monstrous cold I've been suffering from, but howling along at the end brought it all back next morning as my voice had largely gone and I've been croaky ever since. Feels kind of worth it though. A terrific evening all round and lots of fun with Mr. & Mrs. BVCP206 and spzretent - but that's generally always the case with these people...

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 am

Now on to Liverpool with Olan Wednesday.
Cant wait.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 am

spzretent wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 am
Now on to Liverpool with Olan Wednesday.
Cant wait.
Ha ha ha. I was just about to post the same thing. I'm really looking forward to this.

BROKENHEART
Known user

Drone Rock Records showcase

Post by BROKENHEART » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Drone Rock at The Hope and Ruin Brighton.
A wonderful evening of sounds from 5 bands
Stereocilia, Gnob, Yetti, Psychic Lemon and 10,000 Russos.
Every band on top of their game, climaxing with a 10,000 Russos set of seemingly endless rhythms and drones verging on a sort of techno beat. Thankyou Shines for one of the highlights of the year for me on Saturday night. Big applause for all involved. Good crowd and great visuals from Innerstrings throughout. Drone on.

Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Drone Rock Records showcase

Post by Shinesalight » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm

BROKENHEART wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm
Drone Rock at The Hope and Ruin Brighton.
A wonderful evening of sounds from 5 bands
Stereocilia, Gnob, Yetti, Psychic Lemon and 10,000 Russos.
Every band on top of their game, climaxing with a 10,000 Russos set of seemingly endless rhythms and drones verging on a sort of techno beat. Thankyou Shines for one of the highlights of the year for me on Saturday night. Big applause for all involved. Good crowd and great visuals from Innerstrings throughout. Drone on.
Hey thanks BrokenHeart, glad you enjoyed it. You should have come and said hello, I was sober for the whole night this year :wink: I couldn't be happier on how it all went. The lights, the sound, the bands, the crowd....all awesome. Hopefully do it all again sometime next year. Been watching a few vids of the various sets on social media and the combination of lightshow and music is incredible 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 pm

I must try and make one of those Drone Rock shows Adam. It sounds like a belting evening.

I've just got in from an excellent Steve Mason gig with Spzretent at the Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool. Really superb put-a-big-smile-on-your-face show at a decent venue that I've not been to before.

Next up is Mick Head at the same venue on November 30th.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:59 pm

olan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 pm
I've just got in from an excellent Steve Mason gig with Spzretent at the Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool. Really superb put-a-big-smile-on-your-face show at a decent venue that I've not been to before.
How long was the set Olan? Due to a change in work schedules i can now squeeze in the Dublin gig, just wondering if i'll have to leave early or get to catch the whole thing. Cheers.
Bake me a cake and i'll do a handstand

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm

I'm glad the Drone Rock show went swimmingly Shines, great stuff.

I noticed that the Psychic Lemon album got a great write up in the latest Quietus 'psych' column

https://thequietus.com/articles/27418-r ... ies-review

I didn't go to the Moon Duo gig around these parts (more of a casual fan of them really) but the pics and vids from friends who went made it look superb- that light show is pretty special.

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 pm

sunray wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:59 pm
olan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 pm
How long was the set Olan? Due to a change in work schedules i can now squeeze in the Dublin gig, just wondering if i'll have to leave early or get to catch the whole thing. Cheers.
My memory, which is not to be trusted, was that they came on at 9:00 and the whole thing was done and dusted by 10:45. You NEED to stay for the encore though. It is a thing of beauty (and no further spoilers). I was saying to Alan today that there is no way you could have walked out of that Steve Mason gig without a big smile on your face, no matter how grumpy you were on the way in.