What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by Aquarian-Time »

The Warlocks and The Stevenson Ranch Davidians @ Yes (Pink Room), Manchester

Bit of alst minute call to go to this as after a few Bobby H's tantrums over the years, I have had diminishing returns on their shows
No need to worry though, this was superb. Best I have seen them, good mix of stuff covering all albums, sound was excellent and the band all seemed in good spirits, lots of highlights but Come Save Us, Isolation and We Need Starpower were intense.
Support band were the Stevenson Ranch Davidians, reminded me a bit of the much loved (by me) Asteroid#4, psych, folk, alt rock country vibe, very melodic and a shout out to the bass player who was absolutely stunning to my eyes.

No merch hardly, all been sold at previous gigs

Decent night out, venue 1/2 full, maybe 100 in
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Electric Moon, at Bochum Planetarium.

That's the psychedelic space-rock cosmic fuzz trio Electric Moon. In a planetarium.
Two x 90 minute sets in the comfort of a reclining seat while being totally immersed in galactic, oceanic, and hallucinogenic graphics.
Basically like sitting in a moving fractal, soundtracked by a trippy wall of noise put through all the FX pedals.
Far. Out. :shock:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3y8SX7jnJB

Meant to go last year, but failed to get it together. Saw them at The Lexington, in Islington, in July and that made up my mind that I had to get there this year.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Starfish wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:50 am Electric Moon, at Bochum Planetarium.

That's the psychedelic space-rock cosmic fuzz trio Electric Moon. In a planetarium.
Two x 90 minute sets in the comfort of a reclining seat while being totally immersed in galactic, oceanic, and hallucinogenic graphics.
Basically like sitting in a moving fractal, soundtracked by a trippy wall of noise put through all the FX pedals.
Far. Out. :shock:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3y8SX7jnJB

Meant to go last year, but failed to get it together. Saw them at The Lexington, in Islington, in July and that made up my mind that I had to get there this year.
That sounds fucking incredible. I'm well jealous. I saw Electric Moon a few years back in London and couldn't go this time around. Wonderful band and people.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Full proshot Electric Moon Live set here

https://youtu.be/g_t45PuK_tw
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Thoroughly enjoyable gig on Friday night. Gig only let down due to the number of UTTER CUNTS that spent the entire evening chattering at the bar at the back. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE AT GIGS???

Glasgow's Tomorrow Syndicate brought their tasty electro-psych-krautrock to Mono for a rare show. First time i've seen them play live and they were great. Their ability to get their groove on while keeping their motorik, pulsing rhythms is excellent. Hopefully their grace us with the presence a little more frequently. They are on the superb Polytechnic Youth label that is renowned for some really great music. Well worth looking into if you're not already familiar.

Support was great too. Poachers, featuring TS and Helicon's drummer, Seb, on guitar alongside Neil Donaldson on guitar and vocals. Had a few supporting musicians too which helped fill their songs out a bit. Kinda country/folk vibe about them, but singer Neil can fair sing a tune. Harmonies were fabulous too. Reminded me a little of Asteroid No.4's more country vibes.

Second support was a young band called Yolo Manolo. These kids have a really good sound. Can hear a few influences in there (Mogwai, Dino Jr, Urusei Yatsura, elements of shoegaze, etc). Unfortunately, their relatively quiet set was almost drowned out by the pricks in the audience. Worth investigating further though.

next up... 10,000 Russos... THAT is gonna be something special! 8)
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Not a review of a gig as such. I went to watch The Cult doing their Sonic Temple 30 gig at Hammersmith Apollo on Sunday night. They were great - Billy Duffy was on fire - the songs are made for playing live. But my only grip is that there were far too many people crammed in - it was like sardines, really uncomfortable. Looking on the web it says the venue can hold 5+k and Ian Astbury said it was sold out with 5.5k people. I don't know how the venues calculate how many people should fit in, but it would have been just right with about 1k less in. Obviously that would mean less money for the venue. Have the venues increaed their max capacity over the years - would the same gig in the 80s only have allowed - for example - 4k people in? Or is it just that I'm turning in an old grump git?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

quick review of Future Days festival couple of weeks back- a great experience, shows that if promoters put the effort in they can get people through the doors in Birmingham. the venue was great (nice wide room and high stage, great sound). the lineup was almost a mini psych fest and apparently they managed to shift about 70% of the tickets in a fairly sizeable room.

first up Flamingods, from my pre fest research they were the band I was most looking forward to and they didn't disappoint. a proper psych melting pot including lashings of world music and barely a moment to get bored, it never gets gimmicky either. definitely investigating these further.

next up Jane Weaver, a very stripped down set from her, no drummer, just her and another guy on synths, and a guy playing quite minimalist guitar (sometimes just chugging krautrock chords). it was good as a change of pace and hypnotic in its own way, but perhaps a bit too sleepy and stripped down.

Bo Ningen were the opposite- they did their full on heavy psych rock thing, proper balls to the wall, lots of gurning and rock poses. there is a risk that they could get corny but I think there is an element of tongue in cheek, plus you can't fault the musicianship, they were proper tight, great set.

finally The Comet Is Coming. I wondered why they were the headliner, however I could see it was probably for musical reasons, their high energy style is more suited to cap off the night. they've been called psych jazz but for me there actually seemed to be large overtones of electronic dance music- at times it got a bit acid house! they are great musicians but for me they also reinforced the feeling that "less is more" sometimes. an hour of them would have been fine, after nearly 90mins I'd definitely had enough.

hope they do this again next year with a similarly interesting lineup.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:00 am First up Flamingods, from my pre fest research they were the band I was most looking forward to and they didn't disappoint. a proper psych melting pot including lashings of world music and barely a moment to get bored, it never gets gimmicky either. definitely investigating these further.
Didn't think they'd be your cup of tea at all 'Sighs! Would agree with the above though as I caught them when they made their debut Irish appearance last weekend.
Didn't get off to a good start as the onstage power blew within the opening minute! It didn't faze them though and power was soon restored leading to a hugely enjoyable gig playing most of the recent 'Levitation' lp. Oddly enough they reminded me of The Aliens (albeit with a Middle Eastern/Indian bent) in that they could take myriad twists and turns in any song without it ever been wanky and the focus always remaining on FUN :D

They'd be perfect festival fare as they're the kind of band that could raise flagging energy levels, or if you were already in the zone they would compliment the mood perfectly. Recommended.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 pm
Didn't think they'd be your cup of tea at all 'Sighs! Would agree with the above though as I caught them when they made their debut Irish appearance last weekend.
I know what you mean, sometimes my tastes can surprise me. They had technical issues here too, a very long soundcheck then they had to cut their set short unfortunately. However this had an effect of 'leave Them wanting more', something The Comet Is Coming could learn from!
I agree, definitely a fun uplifting band and no time to get bored with all the twists and turns in their songs

Unfortunately when I went to buy something from the merch desk they'd already packed up and gone. I have investigated further though, I must admit Levitation isn't doing as much for me as the other stuff (even though it's presumably what made up most of the set) , it's a bit more conventially rock.

Also-I remember you recommending The Claque to me, unfortunately I didn't get there in time to see them but they seemed to get good reports from friends.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Moon Duo’s glorious show at the Brudenell on Saturday.

So consistently reliable these guys, and Saturday’s show was probably the best I’ve seen them. What a set. An infectious & enveloping series of driving rhythms made by Ripley’s wonderful guitar peels and Sanae’s synth and keyboard sounds, all powered on by drummer John. It was irresistible and I found myself wondering how anyone could not have enjoyed it. You just got lost in what was going on from the moment they started. The incredible light show – so simple in structure yet so effective – added a considerable layer of enjoyment too. A semi-transparent screen at the front and side with mind-blowing light sequences projected onto them from the rear of the stage. As on previous tours every song had its own set of patterns, and every one was amazing. You wondered what was coming next and I saw quite a few jaws drop at various points, my own included, at just how psychedelic the whole experience was.

It’s worth saying that the sound in the Community Room at the Brudenell is as good if not better than any venue I’ve been to and for Moon Duo it was absolutely perfect. You could hear every note Ripley played, every squeal and squelch from the keys, and every drum beat in crystal clarity. What a treat it is to hear sound as good as that. The whole set was wonderful, everyone around me bopping about, just a really special feeling all round. And, as ever, a pleasure to spend the evening with Mr. & Mrs. BVCP206...

Steve Mason next Friday at the same place with a similar attendee line up…
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Ditto on the above post . Moon Duo at St Bartholomew's church in Brighton. The wandering repetitive rhythms just hook you along . Their light show has, over the years ,got to another level . Just Brilliant.
Nice early night too !
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I can only echo Runcible & Brokenhearts comments a truly wonderful experience. I urge anybody that has the opportunity to go see them to buy the tickets now :D
'Remember, change is not good'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Moon Duo - Glasgow , BAaD.
I can only agree with the above positives, ultra fantastic light show even by their own standards added to the usual hypnotic reveree they always provide, might be the best set I`ve seen by them yet but then I always come away from one of their gigs with that feeling I think. Heard some mild criticism of the new material, bit light, bit lacking in bite, but in the live environment it all has added muscle and heft, props to the drummer John Hammond, that guy is a machine. First time in this venue, BAaD, quality venue not sure if there`s an gentrification happening in the East End but it had a hands off, rustic vibe, laid back and very relaxed which all added to a great night,

Vampire Weekend - Edinburgh Usher Hall
Bands been on my wish list to see for a long time, mate managed to get me a pair of tickets so went along with my daughter, slightly unusual territory for me if I`m honest but liked all their albums since Contra back in 2010 so grabbed the chance to go,
Usher Hall was sold out well in advance, so pretty packed with a mixed but youngish crowd - at 53 yr old most people are youngish to me now :lol: - that totally lapped it up, a real hodge podge of styles, punk, afro, Japanese style pop, flamenco and even some heavy jamming that I never saw coming never feels forced or bolted on. Mostly playing from the Father Of The Bride and Modern Vampires Of The City albums the 7 piece band, including dual drummers, played for 2 hrs, had two or three of the numbers rattling round my head for days now, really glad wee went.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Steve Mason- Leeds Brudenell Nov.8
It's always a crap shoot when you buy a ticket to a gig overseas and then plan your trip around said gig.
Again I did this with a sold out Steve Mason gig at Leeds Brudenell.
Five of us showed up at this awesome venue. We walked in and walked right up to the stage. I set my beer on the stage during the show we were THAT close.
Steve Mason is one of those artists I get so much pleasure from and he delivered an amazing career spanning set with songs from all his records and some Beta Band songs. The shocker was I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time which was just amazing.
The encore of Dry The Rain was absolutely incredible with what seemed like the entire venue singing along at the top of their lungs.
Another amazing night at the Brudenell.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

As I was one of the 5 mentioned in spzretent's post I can echo all of the above...

Cracking atmosphere in the place with the dickheads who ruined the previous Belgrave Steve Mason show completely absent thank goodness. Curiously the normally reliable Brudenell sound was a mess for opener Inner Meet Me, but by the 2nd tune the mixing desk had sorted the issues out.

It was an excellent set with nuggets chosen mainly from the last 2 albums, but everything was great. The highlight of the main set was Hardly Go Through, which had 2 immense climaxes of shimmering noise which made me feel almost unsteady on my feet. I Walk The Earth as an encore had the whole place bopping - how could you not? - and when he went into Dry The Rain the place erupted. I looked round and everyone was singing along in the chorus, me included. A triumph.

The enjoyment of the evening appeared to obliterate the monstrous cold I've been suffering from, but howling along at the end brought it all back next morning as my voice had largely gone and I've been croaky ever since. Feels kind of worth it though. A terrific evening all round and lots of fun with Mr. & Mrs. BVCP206 and spzretent - but that's generally always the case with these people...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Now on to Liverpool with Olan Wednesday.
Cant wait.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 am Now on to Liverpool with Olan Wednesday.
Cant wait.
Ha ha ha. I was just about to post the same thing. I'm really looking forward to this.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Drone Rock Records showcase

Post by BROKENHEART »

Drone Rock at The Hope and Ruin Brighton.
A wonderful evening of sounds from 5 bands
Stereocilia, Gnob, Yetti, Psychic Lemon and 10,000 Russos.
Every band on top of their game, climaxing with a 10,000 Russos set of seemingly endless rhythms and drones verging on a sort of techno beat. Thankyou Shines for one of the highlights of the year for me on Saturday night. Big applause for all involved. Good crowd and great visuals from Innerstrings throughout. Drone on.
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Drone Rock Records showcase

Post by Shinesalight »

BROKENHEART wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm Drone Rock at The Hope and Ruin Brighton.
A wonderful evening of sounds from 5 bands
Stereocilia, Gnob, Yetti, Psychic Lemon and 10,000 Russos.
Every band on top of their game, climaxing with a 10,000 Russos set of seemingly endless rhythms and drones verging on a sort of techno beat. Thankyou Shines for one of the highlights of the year for me on Saturday night. Big applause for all involved. Good crowd and great visuals from Innerstrings throughout. Drone on.
Hey thanks BrokenHeart, glad you enjoyed it. You should have come and said hello, I was sober for the whole night this year :wink: I couldn't be happier on how it all went. The lights, the sound, the bands, the crowd....all awesome. Hopefully do it all again sometime next year. Been watching a few vids of the various sets on social media and the combination of lightshow and music is incredible 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I must try and make one of those Drone Rock shows Adam. It sounds like a belting evening.

I've just got in from an excellent Steve Mason gig with Spzretent at the Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool. Really superb put-a-big-smile-on-your-face show at a decent venue that I've not been to before.

Next up is Mick Head at the same venue on November 30th.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 pm I've just got in from an excellent Steve Mason gig with Spzretent at the Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool. Really superb put-a-big-smile-on-your-face show at a decent venue that I've not been to before.
How long was the set Olan? Due to a change in work schedules i can now squeeze in the Dublin gig, just wondering if i'll have to leave early or get to catch the whole thing. Cheers.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm glad the Drone Rock show went swimmingly Shines, great stuff.

I noticed that the Psychic Lemon album got a great write up in the latest Quietus 'psych' column

https://thequietus.com/articles/27418-r ... ies-review

I didn't go to the Moon Duo gig around these parts (more of a casual fan of them really) but the pics and vids from friends who went made it look superb- that light show is pretty special.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:59 pm
olan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 pm I've just got in from an excellent Steve Mason gig with Spzretent at the Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool. Really superb put-a-big-smile-on-your-face show at a decent venue that I've not been to before.
How long was the set Olan? Due to a change in work schedules i can now squeeze in the Dublin gig, just wondering if i'll have to leave early or get to catch the whole thing. Cheers.
My memory, which is not to be trusted, was that they came on at 9:00 and the whole thing was done and dusted by 10:45. You NEED to stay for the encore though. It is a thing of beauty (and no further spoilers). I was saying to Alan today that there is no way you could have walked out of that Steve Mason gig without a big smile on your face, no matter how grumpy you were on the way in.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thanks Olan. That set duration would definitely require me to leave early. Hmmm....
angelsighs wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm I'm glad the Drone Rock show went swimmingly Shines, great stuff.

I noticed that the Psychic Lemon album got a great write up in the latest Quietus 'psych' column
Forget about the Quietus, i marked the Psychic Lemon lp as an 'Album of the Year' contender a couple of weeks ago. That's all the recommendation you need 'Sighs :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 pm
Forget about the Quietus, i marked the Psychic Lemon lp as an 'Album of the Year' contender a couple of weeks ago. That's all the recommendation you need 'Sighs :lol:
well of course, that goes without saying that you are tastemaker of sorts!! :D
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Just saw Tool in Atlantic City.
They produce such an enormous sound that goes right through you.
Would recommend.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

An addendum to the Steve Mason show I saw with Olan in Liverpool.
We were there for the opener Pictish Trail who were really, really good. Hilarious stage banter and very sweet and endearing songs.
The other day I was listening to one of their records on youtube before purchasing and it doesn't come close to capturing the live set. Kind of a shame.
I will revisit and see if my illness is messing up the enjoyment or not.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spzretent wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:41 am An addendum to the Steve Mason show I saw with Olan in Liverpool.
We were there for the opener Pictish Trail who were really, really good. Hilarious stage banter and very sweet and endearing songs.
Should've been at this tonight in Dublin but i am absolutely shattered and couldn't face a drive to and from gig then straight into work. Bah! (Not my most rivetting post it has to be said).
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Went to see Ride with my boy, Dylan, last night. He's been a big fan for years but this was his first chance to see them.

Can't say i've gave the new stuff much attention other than the lead tracks that have been promoted but they played a really solid set. Started with a couple of newer tracks before playing Leave Them All Behind, which almost lifted the roof off, before settling in to a run of 6/7 tracks that were all from the newer albums. They finished their set with a selection from Nowhere (including a fucking outstanding version of Drive Blind complete with strobe whiteout and Seagull) and Going Blank Again (OX4 was just beautiful). Stand out new tracks for me were Killswitch, Repetition and Future love, all of which showed that they still "had it", as Andy joked!

Thoroughly enjoyable night out with my boy. Little disappointed that nothing from Carnival of Light or Tarantula has made it into the set list (Fuck the haters! I actually quite like those albums...) but great to see them again. They were my very first gig way back in the early 90s... 26 years ago... fuck! :shock:

Tonight, The Telescopes are coming to destroy minds and eardrums!!!! :twisted: 8) :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Well, they may have been label buddies, but The Telescopes were as far from Ride music-wise as they possibly could be last night. Starting with a long drawn out drone which slowly build - Myrrors style - into a swirling, heady screech of feedback and noise, accompanied by some of the most tribal drumming i've heard in a long time - so much so, my drink was slowly vibrating across the table beside me! :lol:

We were soon in classic Telescopes territory. Stephen Lawrie swapping between screaming and singing in a long drawn out drawl that , although audible, was lost in the maelstrom of noise that surrounded him. The band, his usual backing band, were unforgiving. John Lynch on drums is a big powerful man with no real need or desire to be delicate, smashing his way through the set with his signature gaffa-taped drumsticks. Stephen Lawrie abused his guitar with a variety of items and spent a lot of the show pressed against his Vox amp creating as much chaos as possible. The bass player (Dave i think his name was - lovely fella!) seemed to be the only one who was keeping it together as he just kept that low end dirty and steady throughout. The two other guitarists had all the freedom in the world to just tear the place apart, one of them barely standing for the entire show as he pressed his guitar up against his amp whilst playing with his pedals. We got long, drawn and drawled out versions of Perfect Needle, Oil Seed Rape and Violence which just made my night.
After what seemed like no time at all (an almost 90min set), the sound man started flashing the stage lights to indicate their set time was over, yet the band kept the carnage going. The sound man then appeared to start hassling Stephen about them having to finish but Stephen was totally submerged in the cacophony of noise and ignored him. The house lights were put on, but the band kept going. A guitar was handed out to the audience to play while pedals were kicked and knobs were turned. By the time Stephen had left the stage almost 10mins later, the band had dismantled part of the drum kit so they could play in amongst the audience while the John continued to try and kill the remaining parts of the kit and one of the guitarists started lifting the stage monitors to try and create more and more feedback. By this point the sound man has simply given up. The lunatics were running the asylum. Finally, everyone started to leave the stage leaving nothing more than sweat, spilled beers and a loop of feedback and a trail of destruction.

FUCKING AWESOME GIG!!!! Ears are totally fucked today, but man, that's the kinda shows i live for! 8) :twisted: :D

Special mention to Glasgow's very own St. Deluxe. Although they are usually Stephen Lawrie's backing band up this neck of the woods, they were a very able and noisy support band tonight. Seems like forever since they ventured out live but they were brilliant too. I half expected EVERYONE to end up on stage by the end, but some level of decorum was retained in the end. And probably best too :lol: :lol: :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I also saw Ride the other night (Birmingham Institute) and Telescopes is my next one, so snap! Blimey, that sounds like a hell of a gig, I am curious what happens on Sunday now! I've seen them a couple of times before and found them faintly disappointing to be honest- the first show was a total freeform noisefest that just didn't go anywhere, the other one was a bit better. if they are playing Taste tunes then that really bodes well. I seem to prefer them when the noise is bolted on to proper songs.

The Ride show was great, the set is largely based on new material now and fair play to them (can't trade on nostalgia forever). a couple of naff tracks were played that I am not really keen on, but the set as a whole came across really well. The new material came across well live, sounding much beefier and more powerful (especially Future Love- damn that sounded good!).
In This Room (my fave of the new album) was a highlight too, I like Andy's guitar work on it and how they walk back on stage when that keyboard line is playing. They even gave the keyboard player a shout out (apparently hiding behind the amps on Steve's side of the stage).
The old classics have something extra though- Taste is always a totally joyous song for me, and when Seagull builds up that head of steam at the end.. christ! The new stuff, though often great can just be a bit like standard indie pop at times.

Ride seem to get a great audience reaction most times I see them, it rarely seems to fully sell out round here but the fans who are there, are loving it.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:17 am I seem to prefer them when the noise is bolted on to proper songs.
Assuming you'll hear the songs as they were originally is probably not the best idea. Perfect Needle was probably the only one that was close to how it originally sounded, with the others being "in there, somewhere" :lol: :lol:
I would definitely approach it from a more free-form perspective. Even then though, the fuckin noise they make is just incredible; i could listen to that all day long. Bass and drums are punishingly heavy, but keep the whole thing grounded. Guitarists just create as much noise as possible.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ah okay thanks I will adjust my expectations accordingly :)
It's not like I'm averse to a bit of noise
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:17 am The Ride show was great. The new material came across well live, sounding much beefier and more powerful.

The old classics have something extra though- Taste is always a totally joyous song for me, and when Seagull builds up that head of steam at the end.. christ! The new stuff, though often great can just be a bit like standard indie pop at times.
^^^This. Whilst the new material does sound a lot better live i don't think any of it equals the earlier songs.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:32 pm

^^^This. Whilst the new material does sound a lot better live i don't think any of it equals the earlier songs.
Can't really deny that, although it could have been WAY worse, and there's some great stuff in there. The reunion has been great overall I reckon.
I do like the fact they haven't tried to do a retread of the old stuff, but kinda wish they would step on the distortion and let Loz go wild on the drums sometimes.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so.. I didn't go the The Telescopes in the end. Sunday night gigs when it gets dark about 4 o clock are just not ideal... I feel bad but I think it's an age thing!! 😕
I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this on the board.. go to so many gigs that some just have to fall by the wayside when lacking the energy
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:03 pm so.. I didn't go the The Telescopes in the end. Sunday night gigs when it gets dark about 4 o clock are just not ideal... I feel bad but I think it's an age thing!! 😕
I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this on the board.. go to so many gigs that some just have to fall by the wayside when lacking the energy
Ha! Last night i passed up on Hot Snakes. A cold, wet miserable Sunday night for a band that i may or may not enjoy quickly lost its appeal. Snooker seemed far more enticing instead :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:42 pm
Ha! Last night i passed up on Hot Snakes. A cold, wet miserable Sunday night for a band that i may or may not enjoy quickly lost its appeal. Snooker seemed far more enticing instead :lol:
Glad it's not just me that does this then :)
I am usually pretty good at going to a gig which may be a gamble, but some still have to fall at the wayside...
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

The Telescopes at The Shacklewell Arms London. Previous reviews have summed up the night. Lots of noise and drones, just a wonderful sound in a small and intimate venue. Just what the doctor ordered !
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Claque, Soundhouse, Dublin closed 2019 for me last night. Nice to see them in a small room, up close and personal. At least one new song, possibly two, and they sounded very good indeed. Clinically controlled noise, female vocals and some catchy and not-so-catchy tunes. Another Irish guitar act worth looking out for.

A look back over my ticket-stubs/notes informs me that in 2019 i attended 48 gigs (starting in January with Black Midi) and 3 festivals. Very happy with that lot I must say.
Plenty of solid, enjoyable shows but can't think of a single mindblowing experience at all. If i had to pick one performance out of the whole year, it would probably be Parquet Courts at Electric Picnic. They were bang on form :D
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Only 23 gigs for me, about half my normal tally (although played 19 gigs myself so that explains the decline in numbers)
Finished the year off with a fine Steve Mason show at the Pink Room, Yes, Manchester,. Just Steve, a backing singer and a guy on keys and percussion. Wonderful show, one of those Micheal Head type gigs where the whole room is on board, lots of witty banter and nice mix of songs from his career. Needless to say Dry The Rain took the roof off. A great way to end a very fruitful and fulfilling Musical year personally

All the very best you all
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sat on a train with Mrs Runcible on our way back from Edinburgh having seen 2 shows in a week from the ever wonderful Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band... Leeds Brudenell last Friday, Edinburgh Summerhall last night.

Both were inevitably superb. He's got a solid line up in the band now, a 5 piece with occasional 6th member on trumpet. A few new songs, loads of Shack nuggets, but no Strands for whatever reason. Same set both nights. The atmosphere at both was fantastic as everyone howled along to their favourites. I'd never heard him play Hey Mama from Waterpistol before, and that was the highlight of both sets. It was glorious. The band were pretty blown away by the reception at both venues, confirmed when we chatted to trumpet man Martin after. Caught up with a couple of the band in the bar in Edinburgh, what a friendly bunch they are.

Great to see Mick at the Brudenell finally, & terrific, if a tad messy, fun in Edinburgh with our own Bza in tow, so the 3 of us had a great afternoon & evening as we rolled around the city. Great to catch up Barry! Next stop is Mick at Hebden Bridge Trades Club in April....
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Was at the Mick Head show in Edinburgh as well, and concur with Runcible above, terrific set, Hazey, Hey Mama and Natalie`s Party stand out for me, as for the band, they were great with some really wonderful harmonies sung right across the set, the young guitarist particularly impressed. An unfortunate set of circumstances meant I had a spare ticket which enabled my 16 yr old son to come along with me and a few mates which was pretty cool, he gave it a resounding thumbs up also, all though he complained he couldn`t understand what Mick was saying during songs as his accent was too strong, lol.

Spoke to a bloke from Liverpool who assured me we were lucky to be seeing Mick in a venue so small, I just consider myself lucky to be seeing him in any venue at all, think I`ll be having a Mick Head weekend
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Daddy Long Legs, Broadcast, Glasgow

Hi-octane, infectious bluesy rock'n'roll returned to Glasgow as the three NYC boys came rolling through town.

Broadcast was mobbed. Busiest i've ever seen it. Saw these guys play a bigger venue last time and it was really busy that night so was a bit surprised when they announced the show, however, these guys never fail to entertain or get the hips swaying and toes tappin'. Good ol' fashioned rock'n'roll still holds up, especially when its as good as this.

Guitarist, Murat, is a phenomenal player, especially slide guitar. Drummer Josh almost has an air of voodoo about him with his primal shaker beats, but front man Brian can play the mouthie like no other! Just incredible to hear him blow that harp!

Not touring a new album as such, so their greatest hits set went down a storm. Highlights for me was their classics Motorcycle Madness and Death Train Blues which are just guaranteed to get the place jumping. New York City was a killer too, but they have so many great songs.

They are on a UK and Irish tour for the whole of February i think. If they are passing through your town, i highly recommend catching them.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

A couple recently

Magic Shoppe with support from Kundolini Genie at Peer Hat Manchester

Leanne always puts on decent nights and always well attended not far off a full house here. Kundolini Genie are great and worth the admission fee just for the banter between songs, massively derivative but its fell good Pysch with all the jingles and jangles in the right places. Bits of BJM in their, maybe a bit more reverb drenced guitar than Anton's mob, but it ticks all my boxes. For the record they were a little shambolic and lots went wrong but it still felt enjoyable if that makes sense
Magic Shoppe were ok, just a bit boring after a while it was just load reverb drenched guitars times 3, minimal choruses and song structures, just plug in and play relentless for 45 mins. Was alright, wouldn't watch them again unless maybe supporting a band i had paid to see

Thumper @ Night people Manchester

These were great, both EP's were plundered plus a few more, oh and a Natasha Beddingfield cover (it really worked as well) Think parquet Courts crossed with the Oh sees and you still wouldnt be close to what these sound like but its a start. 2 drummers 3 guitars and 1 bass, all 4 axeman singing backing vox, great angry harmonies with a great psych/post punk guitar sound, played at breakneck speed. Great fun
They are deducted points though for some of the off stage gimmicks as the set wore on, got a bit tiresome and the final song where front man makes everyone crouch down as they play quiet and make everyone spring up when it kicked off was one cliche too many (mainly because there were only 30 odd people there and you kind of had to participate, I'm too cool for that shit) Worth checking these guys out, could well be quite a thing this year
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Wow Dave, i wasn't expecting you to like Thumper that much! Glad you did though. :D
Yeah, i neglected to mention the cheesier aspects of their performance when i recommended them as i didn't want to put anyone off checking them out. Hopefully your review will be enough to entice other folks into taking a punt on them.
Last time i saw the band they covered the Beastie Boys 'Sabotage' 8)

Hit the nail on the head with Magic Shoppe. I saw them a year or two ago and felt exactly the same. They were a bit lightweight also for my tastes.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Saw The Murder Capital @ Queen Margret Union

The stormy weather almost put paid to this one, was told at the station that all trains were off just after purchasing my ticket, as we debated our next move they had a change of heart and they were back on!
Had heard good things about The Murder Capital live and they didn`t disappoint, great atmosphere, Saturday night, sold out show and a band on the way up, a relatively brief 9 song set showcaseing the album from late last yr, tight post-punk, loud then quiet, very quiet, lots of energy on stage, strutting up an down. Got to say I loved it, looking forward to seeing them at the next opportunity.

They also did that thing of getting the audience to to squat down, wait for the break and spring up wtf is that? Is this an Irish underground music thing? Very strange
Last edited by niamhm on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:49 pm They also did that thing of getting the audience to to squat down, wait for the break and spring up wtf is that? Is this an Irish underground music thing? Very strange
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No, no, no. Not at all a 'Thing' over here. I suspect it's to do with having fuck all material so trying to pad it out a bit. Plus, give the kids something to remember :roll:

I hate audience participation but plenty of folks seem to go for that kind of thing :?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:15 pm
niamhm wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:49 pm They also did that thing of getting the audience to to squat down, wait for the break and spring up wtf is that? Is this an Irish underground music thing? Very strange
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No, no, no. Not at all a 'Thing' over here. I suspect it's to do with having fuck all material so trying to pad it out a bit. Plus, give the kids something to remember :roll:

I hate audience participation but plenty of folks seem to go for that kind of thing :?
Hmm... two Irish rock bands touring over here, pulling the same schtick within days of each other?? I don`t know, seems like it might be a `thing, I`m keeping an eye out for it :lol:
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

DIIV at Chalk Brighton.
Love this band. There's lots of stuff going on with their songs, from psychedelic, feedback, shoegaze, dream pop and lots more.
Great vocals with harmonies at times sounding The Birds ish .
Guitars sounding of Dinosaur Jr and MBV ,
A well receiving crowd , sold out , wonderful evening. Check out their latest album "Deceiver" it's a beauty.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

A Winged Victory For The Sullen at St George's Church Brighton.
Really great evening of Ambient drone, with moody lighting in a really beautiful venue. Couldn't imagine AWVFTS playing anywhere else but a church for that extra atmosphere. I think about 8 musicians on stage from guitar , keyboards, strings and brass alongside the main duo composers.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BROKENHEART wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:00 pm A Winged Victory For The Sullen at St George's Church Brighton.
Really great evening of Ambient drone, with moody lighting in a really beautiful venue. Couldn't imagine AWVFTS playing anywhere else but a church for that extra atmosphere. I think about 8 musicians on stage from guitar , keyboards, strings and brass alongside the main duo composers.
Caught them in the National Concert Hall, Dublin last week.
Thought they were ok but ultimately frustrating. Anytime they got a drone developing they swiftly cut it off to focus on the strings and piano. I thought a lot of it sounded like one of those overly ambitious/majestic post rock acts (are there any other kind?) but without the drums and guitar crescendos.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

A gig? Yes, really.

OK it was a dinner show at Boisdale in Belgravia, and it was the music of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, so not really in keeping with this forum(!), but by God it was so good to witness a live music performance again.

I absolutely adore Sinatra's music, and Stephen Triffitt, who was Sinatra, is known the world over as one of the very best at recreating him. I've seen him before at both the Palladium and the Royal Festival Hall, so this was a properly intimate show.

I actually don't know who was most grateful to be there - the audience or the performers! From the stage, there was more than one reference to how tough it's been for musicians not to be able to play (and earn).

It felt quite special to be part of, and an interesting bookend to lockdown, given that we were also at one of the very last big shows before it all went pear-shaped, Jon Hopkins in Brighton!
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Have been making up for lost time and rescheduled gigs. After my first gig back Sonic Boom) at Green door store which was pretty anxious for me, but a great set.
The Telescopes at Brighton, always blows me away, and didn't disappoint. Penelope Trappes at The Rose Hill tavern Brighton. Great night, love her stuff. 10,000 Russos at Brighton and London. These guys are just so hypnotic with their Krautrock, driving sound wonderful gigs.
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis at Southsea. About 2 1/4 hours of the latter albums . Always been a big fan of Nick Cave and this show once again didn't disappoint. At times very emotional, especially the songs from Ghosteen. Idles in Portsmouth , very lively on stage and off lots of kids enjoying to be back in the pit . Finally Bo Ningen at Chalk, Brighton. Always going to have a great evening with these Japanese, psychedelic, noise band . Brilliant sound with a great light show ending with a total chaotic last number with support band Lunch money life. Swapping instruments and making a glorious cacophony of noise.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:41 pm Have been making up for lost time and rescheduled gigs. After my first gig back Sonic Boom) at Green door store which was pretty anxious for me, but a great set.
The Telescopes at Brighton, always blows me away, and didn't disappoint. Penelope Trappes at The Rose Hill tavern Brighton. Great night, love her stuff. 10,000 Russos at Brighton and London. These guys are just so hypnotic with their Krautrock, driving sound wonderful gigs.
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis at Southsea. About 2 1/4 hours of the latter albums . Always been a big fan of Nick Cave and this show once again didn't disappoint. At times very emotional, especially the songs from Ghosteen. Idles in Portsmouth , very lively on stage and off lots of kids enjoying to be back in the pit . Finally Bo Ningen at Chalk, Brighton. Always going to have a great evening with these Japanese, psychedelic, noise band . Brilliant sound with a great light show ending with a total chaotic last number with support band Lunch money life. Swapping instruments and making a glorious cacophony of noise.
Lucky you! :mrgreen:
19 months and counting for me. Hopefully next week if our government doesn't decide to bugger things up. Schedule from now up until June 2022 is beginning to look pretty bonkers though. No way i'll be able to attend all i'd like to. Too many clashes happening already between rescheduled and newly announced gigs :evil:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Tentative steps back into the gigging world, French psyche stoners Karkara a few weeks back support from Glasgow`s Dead Otter, not much covid type worries, a cellar with maybe 40 people, I was just glad to hear live music but Karkara were defo on point and pretty impressive for a 3 piece even bring out a didgeridoo at one point,
Following week at the same venue Mexican kraut rock via Germany, Sei Still, maybe wore their influences on their sleeve on last yrs album but they only played maybe 2 tracks from that and the rest was all slightly more post punk but so young and sky high energy levels got to say that after the last 18 month or what ever they were a total tonic
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

You wait 19 months for a gig and two come along on successive nights.
Silverbacks in the Grand Social, Dublin followed by The Wedding Present in the Button Factory the following night. This weekend was when Ireland's nightlife finally opened up and the mood was positive everywhere. Silverbacks were sold out in advance, and whilst i didn't enjoy everything there was enough to hold my interest. Similar to Parquet Courts at times, great lead guitarist.
The Weddoes were playing Seamonsters and like the last time i saw them do it it didn't quite happen for me. The guitars didn't crash in like they should and their new drummer isn't a patch on the last fella. Second set was better but overall not one of their better gigs.
Nice to be back in the fray though and all topped off with the annihilation at Old Trafford :D A grand bank holiday weekend.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Jesus And Mary Chain @ Stereo and Barrowland Glasgow

A real treat to see the band at Stereo, comfortably the smallest venue I`ve seen them in as in `excuse me mate till we get on the stage` type of thing, so yes I was quietly buzzing for this one, not a big fan of the playing an album in full idea tbh, can be a bit sterile, but Darklands is one of my fav albums and large parts of it I`ve never heard played live in 35 yrs of watching them. I think they acquitted themselves well, I`mean its a laid back album and they only really raised hell if you like on Down On Me. The real highlights and surprises were in the second set after the album run through, all spiky an Ramones-y on I Love Rock N Roll and Moe Tucker, fantastic Darklands era b`sides Happy Place and Everything`s Alright and a clutch of slower ones, the stand out being God Help Me,

The Barrowland shows were quite special in another way, a return to the scene of so many amazing gigs for the 1st time in over 2 yr, way bigger venue, bigger sound - way bigger- and a light show, Jim Reid does a fine job singing/performing their songs but the nervousness he used to mask with drink and drugs is still pretty apparent between songs as if he`s wishing the fuck they`d get starting the next tune and not leave him standing there. The set is the same so the Stereo surprise isn`t there in the second half the same way but that just means I can anticipate and savour the early lost classic Up Too High when it comes all the more, they do add an encore and wrap things up with an abrasive Never Understand, bloody good couple of nights.

Couple of observations, the mosh pit might not be the open warfare free for all it used to be in the 80`s but the JAMC still don`t half attract some bams, folk being dragged away by bouncers for whatever they`d been up to, some screaming at god only knows what and other flat on there faces in the street. Another thing, Saturday night was the second time I`d taken and registered a Lateral Flow Test for a gig and never as much been asked about it never mind show my result, Barrowland management did check to see our Covid Passport/Status so that was one thing.
Last edited by niamhm on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

There was a guy carried past us on the Sunday night who looked dead. Two friends screaming for people to move as the raced him towards the exit. Only for two wee old dears to go walking passed the other way (St Johns ambulance staff) looking for said "dead" bloke before hurrying back the way they came.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pigsx7, Whelans, Dublin: About two years waiting from when this gig was announced. Decent overall but could've been a little louder to my ears. Glad that Matt Baty commented he had morphed into Freddie Mercury over the past 19 months, 'cos that was my thought within the first minute of it starting! Mostly played material from Viscerals, which was to be expected given that Covid hit just as they were about to tour that album.

Sleaford Mods, The Olympia, Dublin: Sold out show for the duo on the following night from the Pigsx7 gig. A handful of newer songs that i'm not mad about (but conversely garnered some of the biggest response from the audience) but i was quite happy with the rest. Nice lightshow, simple but effective. Good mixture of age groups in the audience, but there are fewer sadder sights than middle aged men trying to recapture their youth by moshing/pogoing :oops: :lol: I thought i might be done with Sleaford Mods but they proved they've still got enough to keep me interested. Oh yeah, Goat Girl were the support and they provided pleasant enough indiepop. I had intended to attend their own show in Whelans the following night but alas laziness won out and i stayed rooted to the couch.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dry Cleaning - The Button Factory, Dublin: First gig of 2022, although if restrictions had been lifted a week or two earlier it would likely have been my sixth, nevermind. Long sold out and rescheduled a number of times there was a lot of anticipation and love in the room. Alas, fairly quickly i wasn't really feeling it. Female spoken word vocals over a post-punkish vibe (is there anything else at the moment?) it just wasn't connecting with me. I thought the album was decent so was probably expecting a bit more in the live setting. Overall, not bad but nothing to write home about either.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Few gigs to catch up on (apologies been super busy with life, band, work blah blah)

Anyway

Monday Echo and the Bunnymen @ The Philarmaronic, Liverpool

Good sound, musicians great, set list decent, macs voice OK on the harder edged ones, rough as toast on the more delicate ones. Mac himself was a massive arse all night and its just makes the gig frustating, Will should wrap a guitar round him and shut him up. Give it up now i reckon

The Charlatans @ Buckley Tiv and Liverpool Invisible Wind Factory

Both guest list jobs for me, failry boring both gigs, the songs have been played to death and have been heard by my ears too many times (see Echo and The bunnymen for that too), the new songs are dull and guitar is way too quiet, Tims current on stage persona is just plain weird. if they werent freebies i wouldnt have bothered

JAMC Manchester Albert Hall

As mentioned, great set, great to hear darklands and the ssetlist was given some real thought, thats what you want from a gig, not just a band dialling it in. Good sound, good atmpshere, much fun

OSEES Liverpool invisble Wind factory

After i had returned from the bar and bored eveyone within ear shot of me telling them our band cover osees opener I come from the Mountain haha! It was a bloody superb gig, high energy, surf, pysch punk with a touch of Prog. 90 minutes of the best live band on the planet for me. bomus points as Bridgid dawson and The Mothers Network supporting

Michael Head and the Red Elastic band (Live Rooms Chester)

Late call and a patchy turnout for obvious reasons as this was near Xmas, decent gig , loads of the new album (due in may I think) plus a few classics, not the normally amazing show from Mick but good enough for ordinary folk like me. He looked a bit nervous and wary (Covid fear I think, it was an odd atmosphere)

Sunstack Jones
on a boat on The River Dee in Chester

they played loads of new stuff and their 5th album looks like its will be a cracker, Lorcon on lead guitar is a McCabe style noisemaker, which only adds to the wonderful stuff they do. Hopefully playing some shows with these guys later in the year.

Lots of local stuff been watched (and played) recently our good friends Deja Vega are making great strides with their 2nd album, fortunate to support them recently. Also Kicked In The teeth a Punk rock band on our label have just released their 2nd LP and thats really good if you like shouty vocals melodic but heavy driven guitar pummenling bass and druns. Not Psych though, not in the slightest
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The War On Drugs - Edinburgh O2 Academy
If an undulating series of 70`s/80`s styled classic rock stylings with an undeniable krautrock beat at its heart sounds like your bag this was the place to be last Monday night, the build of the tension through 10/15 minute periods till mad joy uncontained release was something to behold an pretty fucking visceral and on the 4th day of a bank holiday weekend my boat was well floating, best gig this year so far
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Spiritualized at Cambridge last night. After 2 years of wtf-ery, this was my first gig and a complete joy. Band played really well and tight. Songs had a great level of intensity. When the sound was full-on, band really powering and backing singers elevating the sound to the heavens, it just was just a majestic slap around the face. Reception for Jason was warm and crowd showed their appreciation. Bass player was standout for me. Even though I've been to sit-down Spz gigs before, this did hold it back a little but, can't be helped. Some of the later good songs don't lift me near anywhere like others but their inclusion fitted pretty well and the live versions were superior to the studio versions. Come Together was played and really appreciated by the crowd, sitting or not. A real pleasure. Well done to Jase, the singers and the band putting a smile on my face and making return to whatever normality after the last 2 years a joy. Hopefully, the rest of you going to the other dates will enjoy them as much.

Edit...one thing to add. I hadn't really heard any of the brand new songs but they sounded really good. Can't wait to.get a copy to.listen to
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Earthless - Whelans, Dublin: Better than a dinner with the missus.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:33 am Earthless - Whelans, Dublin: Better than a dinner with the missus.
Haha!! :lol: :lol: