What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

toomilk
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by toomilk »

sunray wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:31 pm Congrats! You gotta tell us more though :) Are you mates with D&B or is this something they just do now?
James is friends with them, but I've been to so many D&B and Luna shows that they kind of know me.

It was pretty great. Got a setlist too! LOL
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Cosmic Country Revue - Jeffrey Silverstein, Bobby Lee and Joe Harvey-Whyte

We caught this package at the Robin Hood Inn in Pontefract. We wanted to see Jeff's set and a recent investigation into Bobby Lee's back catalogue made the show look even better. But it turned into one of those nights that completely exceeded my expectations. Joe began the evening with a short pedal steel piece that was the perfect intro to what followed. A delicate assembled sound of echoed guitar and pedal steel that sounded very impressive. To my surprise Joe is a London guy yet the music he made was very trans-Atlantic sounding. Next up was Bobby Lee with 2 excellent backing guys, and occasionally Joe would join in. It was seriously good, with Bobby's thick, fuzzy guitar playing spaced out country rock over basic but effective rhythms, sometimes going for a bit of noise but all really well controlled. I was astonished to discover that Bobby is from Sheffield! It didn't even occur to me that he wasn't from Nashville or at least somewhere in the States. Nope - proper Yorkshireman. Even better was to come when Jeff took to the stage, complete with Bobby's backing band. It was absolutely fantastic, with one brilliant tune after another, mostly instrumental but a couple with understated vocals. I knew lots of the tunes but live they took on a completely different dimension. And when the guitar and pedal steel combined in mind-bending fashion - which happened a great deal I'm happy to say - things really took off. I came away amazed that pedal steel isn't used more in psychedelic music. Last night the glorious syrupy blobs of sound Joe produced from that instrument were proper spine-tingling at times. The closing number, complete with Bobby Lee on stage too, was the Grateful Dead's 'I Know You Rider' - one of my favourite Dead tunes - and they nailed it, even adding a furious burst of energy in the middle. The 40 of us that crammed into the tiny room above the pub had one hell of a treat. I was sitting squeezed between the sound guy and the bass/keyboard chap - it was a very small and intimate show! - and every time I looked back it was a nice wall of smiles and nodding faces. The sound was spot on all the way through - pretty good for a tiny Yorkshire pub room! And a really lovely bunch, both the crowd and the musicians. The band members were all really sweet after and seemed delighted at how the evening turned out. How nice too to spend the evening in such a cool place - that's another venue to add to my thumbs-up list.

There are another 4 dates on this mini tour: Hereford, Manchester, London and Brighton. Any fans of Rose City Band and decent country rock would be silly to miss out if there's a chance they can make it. We had a really memorable evening. Can't recommend this tour enough.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

The Eels - Epic Studios, Norwich

This was a fairly late find for me and was really glad I caught it. A fun gig. Lots of staged banter but rather than being cringey, it came over endearing. Maybe I'm getting old. The sound was great and the band sounded awesome. Guitarist, The Chet, really stood out but the drummer shone too. Good selection of songs from across the years and a few well chosen covers. A good night.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Orbital @ Rock City. Was OK but quite relentless, I was on a fairly heroic dose of liberty cap mushrooms so take my opinion with a pinch of salt but wasn't as good as late 90's Glastonbury appearances. Nice visuals tho. Seemed like a fairly aggressive crowd.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:44 pm Orbital @ Rock City. Was OK but quite relentless, I was on a fairly heroic dose of liberty cap mushrooms so take my opinion with a pinch of salt but wasn't as good as late 90's Glastonbury appearances. Nice visuals tho. Seemed like a fairly aggressive crowd.
Interesting. I found their late 90s period was when i started going off them, too much faffing around and not enough dance tunes. In saying that, the 2004 'farewell' shows were superb. I can't imagine doing 'shrooms at an indoor gig though. Festivals yes, but these days i mostly just like to be on my own, lying down in total silence.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:53 pm
SpEnCeR1 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:44 pm Orbital @ Rock City. Was OK but quite relentless, I was on a fairly heroic dose of liberty cap mushrooms so take my opinion with a pinch of salt but wasn't as good as late 90's Glastonbury appearances. Nice visuals tho. Seemed like a fairly aggressive crowd.
Interesting. I found their late 90s period was when i started going off them, too much faffing around and not enough dance tunes. In saying that, the 2004 'farewell' shows were superb. I can't imagine doing 'shrooms at an indoor gig though. Festivals yes, but these days i mostly just like to be on my own, lying down in total silence.
I took it that he had the heroic mushrooms dose at Glastonbury rather than last week at Rock City 😂
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:50 pm
I took it that he had the heroic mushrooms dose at Glastonbury rather than last week at Rock City 😂
Ha! Now that you mention it i can see it reading that way. SpEnCeR1, can you confirm when the heroic dose occurred? :lol:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Went to see the Sonic Boom and Panda Bear gig at Room 2 in Glasgow last night. Excellent gig which featured most of their recent LP, tracks from Pete’s last solo LP and a few tunes I didn’t know which I am guessing are from recent Panda Bear LPs. The gig kicked off just after 8:00 and was finished by 9:50 which suits an old bastard like me. The five song encore was brilliant featuring dubby segues between the tracks. Sound was great, visuals were excellent and I really liked the venue which was comfortably packed.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Anyone in or around the London area hitting any of those Jonny Halifax shows?
Curious if anyone from that side of the pond has been catching any of his shows.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Thoroughly agree with Olan’s review of Panda Bear & Sonic Boom. Saw them last night in Coventry, I wasn’t sure what to expect really but I enjoyed it. Panda Bear can really sing, and you can tell they were properly piecing the whole thing together properly live, triggering the samples and adding handclaps, percussion and whistles etc. As mentioned, it was the album in full and then an encore of a couple of solo songs each. Great visuals and songs often flowing into one another. The ending to Everything's Been Leading to This built to a pleasantly hectic crescendo

The gig has actually made me appreciate the album more- might have to give it another play today.

Some great merch for sale too, I was tempted by a T shirt but there was also a record mat, songbook and cigarette papers!

Also worth mentioning the support Stone Anthem. Think he was like 17 years old, but did a great set of synth and guitar soundscapes that seemed pretty improvised. Word was that Pete Kember was acting as kind of a mentor for him and he’s signing to Castle in Space records.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:58 am Went to see the Sonic Boom and Panda Bear gig at Room 2 in Glasgow last night. Excellent gig which featured most of their recent LP, tracks from Pete’s last solo LP and a few tunes I didn’t know which I am guessing are from recent Panda Bear LPs. The gig kicked off just after 8:00 and was finished by 9:50 which suits an old bastard like me. The five song encore was brilliant featuring dubby segues between the tracks. Sound was great, visuals were excellent and I really liked the venue which was comfortably packed.
First time i've been in Room2 and its a good wee space. Sound was good. Defo worth getting down the front/in early as further back there is limited viewing due to huge concrete pillers. Will keep this in mind for a few shows that are coming up for the same venue.

Great to see such a big/decent audience too.

Songs sounded incredible, and came across waaaaaay better than i thought it might. Sonic did thank the sound guy, who i'm assuming is on tour with them. Visuals were really impressive too.

I was back home by 10:15. Perfect :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

We caught the Brudenell Sonic Boom/Panda Bear show and really enjoyed it. As per other reviews it's the album pretty much with bonus old tunes as encores. A few really choice moments. Edge of the Edge was every bit as good as I'd hoped. Looking round at everyone singing 'oftheedgeoftheedgeoftheedge...' with beaming smiles was pretty cool. The closing 2 tunes were immense. Livin' In The After was just glorious - Noah's vocals spot on with that flamenco vibe carrying it brilliantly. Everything's Been Leading To This ended with a really intense almost techno-motorik build up which had everyone going.

Quite a few people hanging out at the end as there's always time for another drink at the Brudenell, so a decent catch up with everyone including a few of the Leeds shakers and movers from local record shops, Brudenell staff and Pete K. Really cool merch too. Vinyl, CD,s shirts, badges, rolling papers...

From what I've heard almost every date is a sell out on this tour. I think the reception and success of this album has been a very pleasant surprise to everyone. Big smiles!
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

angel-sighs wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:12 pm Thoroughly agree with Olan’s review of Panda Bear & Sonic Boom. Saw them last night in Coventry, I wasn’t sure what to expect really but I enjoyed it. Panda Bear can really sing, and you can tell they were properly piecing the whole thing together properly live, triggering the samples and adding handclaps, percussion and whistles etc. As mentioned, it was the album in full and then an encore of a couple of solo songs each. Great visuals and songs often flowing into one another. The ending to Everything's Been Leading to This built to a pleasantly hectic crescendo

The gig has actually made me appreciate the album more- might have to give it another play today.

Some great merch for sale too, I was tempted by a T shirt but there was also a record mat, songbook and cigarette papers!

Also worth mentioning the support Stone Anthem. Think he was like 17 years old, but did a great set of synth and guitar soundscapes that seemed pretty improvised. Word was that Pete Kember was acting as kind of a mentor for him and he’s signing to Castle in Space records.
Yep, absolutely loved it - joyous show. Interesting to see that Stone Anthem will be signing to Castles in Space, home also to Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan

And as for the super-trippy visuals - bliss
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

sunray wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:21 pm
niamhm wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:50 pm
Ha! Now that you mention it i can see it reading that way. SpEnCeR1, can you confirm when the heroic dose occurred? :lol:
erm prior to the Rock City gig. the walk there in the evening sun was incredible, everything turning to plasticine, we nearly did decide to stay outside and miss the show. olden days Glastonbury would've been dosed on MDMA :')
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Spiby wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:12 pm
Yep, absolutely loved it - joyous show. Interesting to see that Stone Anthem will be signing to Castles in Space, home also to Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan

Yup, it's interesting and a good fit for that label. Bear in mind this was just word of mouth from my mate so can't totally vouch for it!
The Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan show later in the year should be a good one too
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

angel-sighs wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:05 pm
Spiby wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:12 pm

Yup, it's interesting and a good fit for that label. Bear in mind this was just word of mouth from my mate so can't totally vouch for it!
The Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan show later in the year should be a good one too
I'm sure I saw Castles in Space mentioned in Stone Anthem's Instagram feed, but I can't find it now. He also stood in for Field Lines Cartographer who is on the same label. WRNTDP was great when I saw him earlier this year, so very much looking forward to seeing him at Fargo later in the year.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I was a subscriber to castles in space, that was until i quickly (or not quioky enough) reakised he takes your money way in advance and you wait months to see anything, by which point you dont know where you are upto and all his disciplies think he is some kind of electronica god. Paid £15 quid a month every month this year and not received anything, apart from 3 albums (that were awful) which were from last year.
Took a swag to a local second hand record shop and cashed them in, some sort after goodies as well, kept FLC, Warrington Runcorn Dohnavur and a few others.
Much prefer Woodford Halse as a label fro Electronica and anything Dom (Feral Child, PolytechnicYouth) touches as well is always VFM.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Goat-manchester Academy 4 Ticket £22

Moved from Gorilla to this s##thole. Way oversold, rammed against the wall, sightlines are awful. Sounded great though and an intresting set list. Singers in fine voice. The band just do what they do, if you are good at something, stay with it I say.
Crowd loved it, i was just too uncomfortable so headed off just before the end.
Awful awful venue
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Panda Bear & Sonic Boom at Brighton Komedia. Like others on this site wasn't sure what to expect. Really enjoyable evening.
Chilled sounds with great visuals. Good crowd up for the evening. Not sure about some of Sonics vocals, which reminded me of Clarence "Frogman" Henry . No disrespect to Sonic just an observation on my part . Great night.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:10 am I was a subscriber to castles in space, that was until i quickly (or not quioky enough) reakised he takes your money way in advance and you wait months to see anything, by which point you dont know where you are upto and all his disciplies think he is some kind of electronica god. Paid £15 quid a month every month this year and not received anything, apart from 3 albums (that were awful) which were from last year.
Took a swag to a local second hand record shop and cashed them in, some sort after goodies as well, kept FLC, Warrington Runcorn Dohnavur and a few others.
Much prefer Woodford Halse as a label fro Electronica and anything Dom (Feral Child, PolytechnicYouth) touches as well is always VFM.
That sucks, I also heard some controversy about his dealings with Hollie Cook?
For me I don't think there's a single record label where I would subscribe to everything they release. There are some where I automatically at least check it out, but aside from that I am far too fussy in terms of what I physically buy.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:35 pm Chilled sounds with great visuals. Good crowd up for the evening. Not sure about some of Sonics vocals, which reminded me of Clarence "Frogman" Henry . No disrespect to Sonic just an observation on my part . Great night.
Ha! Assume you are thinking of bits like the "ba ba bas" in Edge of the Edge?
I had the opposite reaction, the gig made me appreciate Pete's vocals more. He is no singer in the traditional sense, but he has a great tone, deep and always sounds cool when he sticks to the 'talk singing' kinda style (if it's good enough for Lou Reed..)
With the success of the album I wonder if they will continue working as a duo again?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:35 pm Panda Bear & Sonic Boom at Brighton Komedia. Like others on this site wasn't sure what to expect. Really enjoyable evening.
Chilled sounds with great visuals. Good crowd up for the evening. Not sure about some of Sonics vocals, which reminded me of Clarence "Frogman" Henry . No disrespect to Sonic just an observation on my part . Great night.
quite a detailed review -

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/202 ... onic-boom/

Really enjoyed them in Manchester a couple of weeks ago.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

clewsr wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:12 am quite a detailed review -

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/202 ... onic-boom/
Insanely detailed! The exact stage times and details of the post-interval drinks are a bit creepy...
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Steve Mason @ Glasgow King Tuts sold out show last Saturday night, not unexpectedly, a rather boisterous crowd as Steve Mason set didn’t start till 10pm, haven’t been to a sold out King Tuts for a while and to be honest it’s not the best or most comfortable venue but once all the jostling stopped and everyone had settled down it was magic, was stood by the mixing desk on a raised platform and the sound was brilliant, Mason had the crowd eating out of his hand, most of the set was his fantastic new album and it came across brilliantly, special mentions for No More and Travelling Hard, what a tune that is!! Treated to a cracking Squares and Inner Meet Me, minor gripe about nothing from Monkey Minds but it was such an uplifting and fun set it didn’t matter, picked up the album on the way out and Mason was doing his best “pressing the flesh”, signed my album and chatted to anyone who wanted, top man and a top night
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Saw Rose City Band last night at Scala in London. I was disappointed last time they played in London because I couldn't make it, so was really looking forward to it. I haven't been to Scala for years - I think it was to watch the House of love on their She Paints Words in Red tour. I had a bad back for about a week after that - the place was so packed and I could hardly move during the gig. Put me off the venue TBH. It's easy for me to get to though - I live in St Albans, so a 20 min train to St Pancras and then it's just over the road from Kings Cross. Easy!

I thought the gig was great - RCB played lots of stuff from the new record, Garden Party, and well happy they played Wee Hours/Wildflowers from Summerlong (Fav album and fav track(s)) . Typical London audience - couple in front of me looking at their phones for alot of the gig and then left early, two blokes behind chatting throughout the gig (why?). It's difficult to get lost in the music sometimes, when being distracted by people around you. My main critism of the music/band is that they should have turned Ripley's guitar up - there were some parts where you could see he was soloing, but was being drowned out by the rest of the instruments - both the steel guitar and keyboards were slighly too high in the mix . Maybe it's the Scala sound system - not sure?

They played for about 1.15hr. Dawn Patrol (last track on Earth Trip) was the first encore - love that tune and they did it justice. Great stuff! However, for the last song they played a track with the support playing with them. Support was called Rosali, just a solo women, played country-ish slow songs - not my cup of tea really. I didn't recognise the song (maybe it was a Rosali one?, or maybe a cover), but I would have preferred another RCB one to finish the evening TBH. Not the strongest finish IMO.

Reading back at what I've written I sound like a right grumpy bastard! Sorry about that - I did have a good time, they were great and I'd definately go and watch them again!
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

stegraham wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:35 am Saw Rose City Band last night at Scala in London. I was disappointed last time they played in London because I couldn't make it, so was really looking forward to it. I haven't been to Scala for years - I think it was to watch the House of love on their She Paints Words in Red tour. I had a bad back for about a week after that - the place was so packed and I could hardly move during the gig. Put me off the venue TBH. It's easy for me to get to though - I live in St Albans, so a 20 min train to St Pancras and then it's just over the road from Kings Cross. Easy!

I thought the gig was great - RCB played lots of stuff from the new record, Garden Party, and well happy they played Wee Hours/Wildflowers from Summerlong (Fav album and fav track(s)) . Typical London audience - couple in front of me looking at their phones for alot of the gig and then left early, two blokes behind chatting throughout the gig (why?). It's difficult to get lost in the music sometimes, when being distracted by people around you. My main critism of the music/band is that they should have turned Ripley's guitar up - there were some parts where you could see he was soloing, but was being drowned out by the rest of the instruments - both the steel guitar and keyboards were slighly too high in the mix . Maybe it's the Scala sound system - not sure?

They played for about 1.15hr. Dawn Patrol (last track on Earth Trip) was the first encore - love that tune and they did it justice. Great stuff! However, for the last song they played a track with the support playing with them. Support was called Rosali, just a solo women, played country-ish slow songs - not my cup of tea really. I didn't recognise the song (maybe it was a Rosali one?, or maybe a cover), but I would have preferred another RCB one to finish the evening TBH. Not the strongest finish IMO.

Reading back at what I've written I sound like a right grumpy bastard! Sorry about that - I did have a good time, they were great and I'd definately go and watch them again!

I was at the gig last night and also really enjoyed it. Thought Rosali was pretty good, but then I am a sucker for steel guitar. Lots of different sounds and genre's in the RCB set and I agree that Ripleys guitar could have been a tad louder.
I think I'm a magnet to people that go to gigs and you wonder why, when they're talking and taking videos of the bands which normally ends up looking and sounding shit. So you weren't the only one. It's an age thing for me I think.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Just found out that I'm unable to make the RCB Brighton gig at Patterns. If anyone is interested I can pass on the ticket through Dice. Don't want anything for it. Its this Sunday the 4th June .
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Loop @ Glasgow Room 2 another, hopefully last, rescheduled gig fr m the early 20 bloody 20s, Room 2 is a new venue to me for Glasgow , I almost went last month for Sonic Boom an Panda Bear show but ££ and it’s, weird/shit depending where you’re standing I guess, two large support pillars either side of the stage that must be 4 ft wide, I took in most of a brilliant 90 min set from behind a slightest raised mixing desk - went stage front for a couple of tracks half way through, can confirm the volume was there - then nipped back to my parched mate with the drinks - 5th time seeing them since 2014 I think and said to my mate, Hampsons a grumpy bastard if things ain’t going perfectly he’ll let us knowm, he was chatting/ lashing out at ex band members, Brexit, “the fuckin’ Tories “ and speaking about Cookin Vinyl and another album, great form. Musically it was the superb, had a right dig at the 2014 line up,the current Maskill an Morgan rhythm section are killing it an loving it up there, the new stuff is probably some of the best in the set tbh, know it was an effort to ge5 this short tour on the go but hopefully it’s not the last but if it was i5 was fantastic

https://youtu.be/gAoZUzYrJ0M

[youtube][/youtube]
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

My Morning Jacket-Machester Ritz

Think the Rutz is consistently the best medium sized Manchester venue and has been for a while, god sightlines, not oversold, sounds by and large pretty good. samed for tonight, a typically random set list from MMj, lots of new and old, plenty of curveballs amongst a smattering of big heitters. its a pure and simple Rock show and its great. Not a sell out but well attended nontheless

Osees (Night 2) Brudenell Social club, Leeds

The sheer energy and precision that goes into their sets defies belief, always said they are one of the best live acts on the planet and Im not changing my view anytime soon. Quite a few changes from the previous nights list, They went full on punk rock for the forst 20 mins, before a few more of the more psych based numbers emerged, add a bit of prog, a modicum of jazzy noodling and we have a rip roaring set, 1 hour 40 mins of unrelenting double drums heaven.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Catching up here...

I saw Steve Mason a few weeks ago at the Brudenell. Totally different set up with none of the previous touring band at this show. A drummer, keyboard/synth plus 2 backing singers was quite a bold departure from Steve's previous set up. It worked though, with Steve adding guitar and percussion and as a unit they were pretty tight. Lots of the new album on show and it was a decent night. Curiously the legendary Brudenell sound system didn't perform that well and I thought a lot of it was distorted which was a big surprise. I did enjoy it but the last few gigs I saw of his were so good it was hard to follow that and I didn't think this show was as good as previous ones.

We caught Rose City Band at The Crescent in York last Saturday, a venue I hadn't been to before. A similar set up to the Brudenell so really nice staff, an appreciative crowd, good sound and a nicely priced bar. No Barry Walker on pedal steel this time but whoever Ripley brought along nailed those dripping trippy notes. Whilst I really enjoyed it I felt there was too much emphasis on the more laid back tracks. Last time all of those completely enveloped me but they didn't quite do it this time round. The highlight was an everlasting Wildflowers at the end of the main set which they kept turning inside out before tearing off again. Also worth mentioning was Reno Shuffle which is pretty irresistible anyway. No Chasing Rainbows which was a shame and also no Porch Boogie which I assumed absolutely had to be part of the set but which didn't feature. I love those albums and I'd go and see almost any project Ripley sets up, but I left feeling it slightly missed the mark, but again my last experience of RCB was particularly amazing so...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Did the Bassman/Flowers of Hell psych night at the 100 Club last night and boy, I'm glad we did!

Pete came out first when the venue was still filling up and did a solo set of about five songs, starting with Mary Anne! It was lovely, although I'd have liked his guitar a bit higher and the backing track a bit lower. He then told a couple of Spacemen 3 tales, which were cool. He also admitted he hadn't found a publisher for his book yet. So, if anybody knows someone...

But the real revelation was the next band, called The Confederate Dead. I'd honestly never heard of them but they absolutely killed it! The frontman was an incredible singer and the guitarist was utterly sublime. My mate, who is a guitar player, said he reminded him of Nick McCabe. High praise in my book.

Flowers of Hell then came out and did their thing, which was also superb, including an ace version of Mr Tambourine Man. They closed the set with Rollercoaster, and with Bassman on the bass!

Oh, and we had Tim Holmes of Death in Vegas playing super-cool tunes between sets!

It was a magic night. And I'm definitely going to see Confederate Dead again.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Good summary, it was a fantastic night. Rosco in attendance too!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Kurt Vile and King Hannah - Nottingham The Level.

Great night , took my eldest and my Dad, great venue, fairly new University spot, should be competing with the Rescue Rooms. Intimate but 700 ish capacity.

Enjoyed most of King Hannahs set; great guitar sound. Read reviews saying Portishead crossed with Mazzy Star which is sorta right.

Kurt set was great although a run of carbon copies of the records really, no surprises but the vibe was well chilled and happy , Jessie the guitarist seemed to attract alot of amusing attention from a group of drunk but good natured fanboys. no Freak Train :-(
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Firefriend and Smote A very hot Friday 2 weeks back, Smote from Newcastle did a very loud/extreme set of repetitive, drone psych laced with just enough folk, very good. Firefriend from Brazil have been trying to get here for 18 months or north and the wait was worth it, no spring chickens, it’s not being disrespectful but they know what they’re doing and the 6000 mile journey wasn’t wasted, an almost cliched psychological horror vibe in the sound with a discordant MBV going on, yeah they were great,

The War On Drugs @ Glasgow Hydro not a fan of the Hydro really, arena gigs not my usual haunt, and finding our seat front row lower tier as the band started and being the designated driver it took me a couple of tracks to get my bearing and settle into the show, Glasgow had a super crazy cloud burst as we arrived - in our summer attire - that saw the international football match that night delayed by 75 minutes and us arrive like half drowned rats - but once all the bullshit receded and I tuned in to my surroundings? What a great show, 4th time seeing them though over maybe 8yrs, bigger venue every time and they’re just a fabulous live band, the kraut and Americana seamlessly melded now into an almighty arena sized wallop, obviously bands construct their sets to show themselves in the best light, but that version of Under The Pressure tucked in at the end of the set is just undeniable,their two hr set is condensed to an hr on the iPlayer for the next month or something, recommended
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:28 pm Kurt Vile and King Hannah - Nottingham The Level.

Great night , took my eldest and my Dad, great venue, fairly new University spot, should be competing with the Rescue Rooms. Intimate but 700 ish capacity.

Enjoyed most of King Hannahs set; great guitar sound. Read reviews saying Portishead crossed with Mazzy Star which is sorta right.

Kurt set was great although a run of carbon copies of the records really, no surprises but the vibe was well chilled and happy , Jessie the guitarist seemed to attract alot of amusing attention from a group of drunk but good natured fanboys. no Freak Train :-(
Went to Chalk Brighton to see these. Really to catch King Hannah although Kurt Vile was great as always. His grooving, don't give a shit style songs I love. King Hannah's music was introduced to me by a friend. I couldn't stop playing Crème Brûlée, a single they brought out in 2020 I think. Anyway they were Brilliant at Chalk. Great Grunge guitar with Hannah's beautiful vocals.
Will definitely be looking out to see them again soon hopefully.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Visions festival at Hackney. Really enjoyable day yesterday. Luckily all gigs were inside venues as it was pretty wet . I camped down in Hackney church as most of the stuff on was probably the best of the venues + the weather. Spiritualized headlined and we're great as usual. A bit of everything and as usual the wonderful Shine a light which I don't think I'll ever get bored of, it's a killer every time.
The best other bands Scalping and an Irish band Just Mustard with lots of guitar feedback and noise with vocals almost identical to Alison from Cranes. Coincidentally Cranes have reformed and will be seeing them later this year and 1 gig in London next year.
All in all a great day yesterday with really reasonable ticket pricing.
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:11 am Visions festival at Hackney. Really enjoyable day yesterday. Luckily all gigs were inside venues as it was pretty wet . I camped down in Hackney church as most of the stuff on was probably the best of the venues + the weather. Spiritualized headlined and we're great as usual. A bit of everything and as usual the wonderful Shine a light which I don't think I'll ever get bored of, it's a killer every time.
The best other bands Scalping and an Irish band Just Mustard with lots of guitar feedback and noise with vocals almost identical to Alison from Cranes. Coincidentally Cranes have reformed and will be seeing them later this year and 1 gig in London next year.
I didn't realise Just Mustard are Irish! Love Cranes, believe there are reissues on the way too.
Glad Visions was good despite weather and transport problems
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:11 am Visions festival at Hackney. Really enjoyable day yesterday. Luckily all gigs were inside venues as it was pretty wet . I camped down in Hackney church as most of the stuff on was probably the best of the venues + the weather. Spiritualized headlined and we're great as usual. A bit of everything and as usual the wonderful Shine a light which I don't think I'll ever get bored of, it's a killer every time.
Here's the full set:

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

sunray wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:50 pm Here's the full set:
absolutely beautiful.
thank you for sharing
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Here's the full set:

[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. Really looking forward to watching this through. Part footage I've seen looks and sounds great.
I was stood near to the back of the crowd chilling after a recent operation. No medication could beat this set though. Thanks again.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Rose City Band- Magic Bag Ferndale Michigan July 27.

This got off to a very slow start. The first 3 or 4 songs were very slow, mellow, bordering on countrified yacht rock. Then things took off. RCB were amazing during the psych/jammy songs, That is why I had waited so long to see them. Crazy that my friends in Leeds have seen them twice.
At the end of the night I left with a huge smile on my face.
On a side note I have gotten into the cannabis gummie thing now that it is legal here. This was the second time I have been stoned in public. I find it uncomfortable unless there is live music or I am at home. Having said that the gummies keep me from drinking and making several trips to the men's room during the show. A definite bonus.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Two recent gigs.

Chameleons at end of June. I will always go and see the band if I can, and it seems their small but dedicated fanbase think the same. I thought the venue may have been a bit too large for them, but although it wasn’t sold out by any means it was healthy. A tight, muscular show, perhaps the guitars could have been cranked up a bit and bit more delay but a great show nonetheless. I sometimes wish they would vary a setlist a little but can’t fault what they deliver really. Highlights were Soul In Isolation and In Shreds

Moonwalks. Not too aware of the band, they were given the ‘psych’ tag and it was very local so thought why not. Being from Detroit it was actually more of a punk R &B, power trio kind of feel and bit of attitude. They only played for about 50 mins, would have rather had less time from the 2 local supports who were not my thing. Also mainly played the new album which is more song based, the earlier stuff was dronier and more psych. Quite average overall but just good to be out there again.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

South Facing festival at Crystal Palace Bowl.
Not the easiest venue to get to in London, but well worth the trip.
Headliners Primal Scream ,who I wasn't too worried about seeing actually played a good set of stuff from Evil Heat,Beautiful future, Give out but don't give up and More light. So a mixture of all genres. B.G. seemed up for it although I always had that thing in my head about Martin Duffy .
The Jesus and Mary chain were ok and I know we'll never see or hear the likes of their original shows of guitars and feedback and the rawness of that. I just felt there could have been a bit more volume.
The Black Angels blew me away again as earlier on this year at Shepherds Bush. Straight into "Without a Trace " my favourite on the latest album. A short set of 3/4 hr but full of brooding, moody, fuzzy reverb guitars with great visuals.
Sonic Cathedral started the evening off with some great tunes from way back when (60s) Nuggets.
Great venue. Great evening.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

two gigs on the trot last week.

Bo Ningen- don't even own any of their albums but I just think they are an excellent and entertaining live band. they have changed direction on the most recent album, it's hard to describe, not exactly electronic but definitely more stripped back and hypnotic. they very much used to be ROCK with thick fuzzy guitars but it's a bit more varied now with some weird guitar effects and clipped rhythms. Still bloody loud though.. earplugs came in handy

Mabe Fratti- a total last minute decision, was really here for the support but 3 very interesting acts all round. first of all Stone Anthem local Coventry lad (supported Panda Bear & Sonic earlier in the year) with a big talent in analogue synthscapes, nice and varied textures and guitar mixed in, seemed quite improvised. Then solo set from drum wizard Chris Corsano- this was mind boggling technique totally freeform even my mates who are not as into the more avant garde stuff as me were impressed. Finally Mabe is a cello player also with a haunting voice, she loops up the cello a bit and also a drummer and guitarist driving it along.

after some uneasiness post covid I think I finally have the gig bug again.. trying to cram a lot more in this year.
ibex1251
Known user

Post by ibex1251 »

Crocodiles @ Sneaky Petes in Edinburgh...

An hour of dirty rock and roll which was a rather nice way to spend a Tuesday evening
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Allah Las, Glasgow Room 2 By my dodgy reckoning it’s 7 yrs since I last saw these guys, love their albums and any previous shows I’ve seen have been joyous affairs, tonight was no different, squeezed in stage left in front of lead guitarist who confounded me by playing some headless Flying V guitar all night, you can’t hide the 15 yrs these guys have been on the go, they’re definitely a gang, the onstage playing/interaction is so easy, the sunshine garage they excel at is just the ticket, fucking loved it, left buzzing and energised for the new album at its ludicrously expensive price
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

End of The Road Festival
Great festival, really beautiful location. Punters on site seem to respect the objectives of the festivals ideals. I don't think you'll see a cleaner festival site. Everything catered for, including a rare thing nowadays at a lot of festivals, a real ale tent. Too many sponsor oriented bars at festivals with shit beers.
Top music for me over the 4 days, I'm sure I missed some good stuff as well.
Deerhoof, Wilco, Friendship, Angel Olsen ( emotional Americana with a string duo),Panda Bear and Sonic Boom, Big|Brave
(Probably the highlight of the weekend for me. I hadn't heard or seen these before. Wonderful Doom Metal drone),Moin,King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard,Allah-Las,Divide and Dissolve and Ezra Furman . It's not really always about the music for me. Something about the atmosphere and like-minded friendly people and staff.
A no brainer, I've bagged early bird tickets for 2024.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Siouxsie Sioux at Troxy London
Never been a full on Siouxsie and the Banshees fan and only purchased the 1988 Peepshow vinyl back in the day. A mate invited me for the second night showing. Not knowing what to expect, especially after a 10 year no show and 16 year since any new music.
Really enjoyable evening.
Siouxsie still has great stage presence and movement. The voice is not as powerful as of old, but everything else fitted into place.
Plenty of noise guitar, great backdrop footage and lighting. Highlight track for me was the wonderfully eerie " Carousel " which commenced her first of 2 encores.
Hopefully Siouxsie and the band will return soon and not leave things so long.
I'd definitely see them again and will be back tracking to listen to Siouxsie and the Banshees
back catalogue.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BROKENHEART wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:25 pm End of The Road Festival
Great festival, really beautiful location. Punters on site seem to respect the objectives of the festivals ideals. I don't think you'll see a cleaner festival site. Everything catered for, including a rare thing nowadays at a lot of festivals, a real ale tent. Too many sponsor oriented bars at festivals with shit beers.
Top music for me over the 4 days, I'm sure I missed some good stuff as well.
Deerhoof, Wilco, Friendship, Angel Olsen ( emotional Americana with a string duo),Panda Bear and Sonic Boom, Big|Brave
(Probably the highlight of the weekend for me. I hadn't heard or seen these before. Wonderful Doom Metal drone),Moin,King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard,Allah-Las,Divide and Dissolve and Ezra Furman . It's not really always about the music for me. Something about the atmosphere and like-minded friendly people and staff.
A no brainer, I've bagged early bird tickets for 2024.
I was gutted that Big Brave's Dublin gig a few days after EOTR was scheduled for the same night that Whores were in town.
However, Whores in the Grand Social were absolutely fantastic. Gig of the year contender for me. First time here and they didn't disappoint. Big, dirty, filth encrusted riffs played at a loud volume. Spent most of their set with a big grin on my face :D 8)

75 Dollar Bill also made the trip over from EOTR. A two hour set of droning desert blues played to a surprisingly full Workmans Cellar. Just the two guys rather than the 10-piece 'little big band', but worth checking out.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Public Image Ltd.

Last night in Aberdeen’s Beach Ballroom enduring storm weather was perfect for them:
Absolutely extraordinary. The sound from those 3 guys and Lydon was pummelling, intense and very clear indeed. Lydon was awesome and on good form… the sound (that bass!) enveloped the venue was suitably intense. Glad I didn’t have anything more than some wine beforehand…

‘Flowers of Romance’ was epic. The whole thing was epic…
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:01 pm Public Image Ltd.

Last night in Aberdeen’s Beach Ballroom enduring storm weather was perfect for them:
Absolutely extraordinary. The sound from those 3 guys and Lydon was pummelling, intense and very clear indeed. Lydon was awesome and on good form… the sound (that bass!) enveloped the venue was suitably intense. Glad I didn’t have anything more than some wine beforehand…

‘Flowers of Romance’ was epic. The whole thing was epic…
Saw them in Edinburgh last night and totally concur with your verdict, the band were brilliant breathing new life into some very intense versions of PIL classics, Slow Motion being a particularly mesmerising highlight for me, Lydon was great, what a voice - obviously in the non classical sense - powerful, entertaining, an let’s be honest funny and theatrical, it was a bloody great show, turned up early as my cuz wanted to see Meryl Streek, glad we did, he was brilliant, a super angry Dubliner alone with his tapes, made perfect sense for him to on this tour, pretty sure he had a lot o& new admirers after last night
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Couple of recent gigs at a local record store who seem to be playing a blinder recently in booking interesting acts. Can browse the records in between acts, go outside for a bit of fresh air, always get a decent view. Could get used to this.

3 electronic acts on Castles in Space- literally caught just the last 10 seconds of Field Lines Cartographer which is a shame as I liked what I heard online. Polypores set was mainly improvised and morphed and changed as it went a long, bit of a mixed bag. Thing is you would just get into a part and then it would change in a really jarring way. Finally Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan, much more structured and melodic, the excellent visuals are also a big part of it and pull together his whole schtick.

Lorelle Meets the Obsolete.
Support band Whitelands are one to watch (also on Sonic Cathedral- the fella from the label was also there), got that dreamy shoegaze guitar but there’s something a little different, the grooves and the vocals aren’t your norm.
Lorelle took a few songs to get into it, but really built up a storm by the end of the set. I am not sure about the most recent album, bit of a change of direction more of a post punk sound. But the older psych material hit the spot, my favourites are where they do more of a krautrock thing where a repetitive groove builds up.

Kinda upset I skipped Pil now after the rave reviews here but I have been burning the candle at both ends recently and was just too knackered
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Went to see Pastel last week at the Camden Assembley (formerly the Barfly). I don't recall going to this venue before - quite snug, approx 200 people I would say? It was sold out and packed any road. I saw Pastel earlier this year, when they supported Afflecks Place at the 100 Club. They were good then, and I think even better this time. They played the best tracks off the two EPs they've released so far, and a handful of new tracks - which will feature on their debut album to be released next year. They seemed more confident this time, they've got the swagger and I think their lead guitaist is great - can really switch it on when the vibe requires it. Last track was "Deeper than holy" - everyone seemed to know the words and were singing along. Great stuff - top atmosphere. Listening to previous interviews they think they are going to be big - they might be, maybe need to be a little more prolific? Two EPs over 2-3 years is not stadium buildin stuff, but - I guess - what's the rush when you are young and having a good time? they said they'd be back in London next year - wonder if they'll be at a bigger venue? I'll be along for the ride - really like them - even bought a t-shirt, which I never normally do!!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Roger Waters at the Palladium... what can I say??!!

Sadly we went on the haphazard Sunday rather than the more coherent Monday, the biggest pity of which was missing a decent chunk of the Redux set as it was over-running so badly that we were in danger of not getting home to Sussex :(

Monday I'm told finished at a very reasonable 10:30pm which would have offered ample time. Some you win, some you lose I guess.

Roger was in very strange form in the opening 'set' which as anyone who's read a review will know mostly involved reading lengthy excerpts from his unpublished memoir, only one of which had anything to do with music or Pink Floyd, being a fairly charming tale about Syd. The four readings were cut to one on the Monday, saving the aforementioned running time...

I have to say, though, that what I heard of the Redux set I absolutely loved. Swimming against the tide here I know, but I did. There you go. It made a significant enough impression that the CD is now sitting, still shrinkwrapped, on my desk having arrived this morning!

That may well be it for Roger as a live performer, I suspect.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Gang of Four were very good last week in Birmingham , see them if you get the chance.

I have a feeling it may have been downgraded from the bigger room at the venue but still a good and lively crowd. The setlist was pretty much perfect- mainly from the first 2 classic albums and a couple of later songs. Tight and energetic. No impression of them phoning it in or anything, always a risk with bands of this vintage. David Pajo was great on guitar, nailing all the parts including great feedback section at the beginning of Anthrax.
The only drawback was the set being a little samey seeing as this era of their career had just one sound really. But I think they knew this, it was definitely done in a tight 90 mins

Miki Berenyi as support, don’t know much about her work but enjoyed the set. the drums were on a backing tape but still worked well. Dreamy guitars and vocals and good melodies.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angel-sighs wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:46 am Gang of Four were very good last week in Birmingham , see them if you get the chance.

I have a feeling it may have been downgraded from the bigger room at the venue but still a good and lively crowd. The setlist was pretty much perfect- mainly from the first 2 classic albums and a couple of later songs. Tight and energetic. No impression of them phoning it in or anything, always a risk with bands of this vintage. David Pajo was great on guitar, nailing all the parts including great feedback section at the beginning of Anthrax.
The only drawback was the set being a little samey seeing as this era of their career had just one sound really. But I think they knew this, it was definitely done in a tight 90 mins

Miki Berenyi as support, don’t know much about her work but enjoyed the set. the drums were on a backing tape but still worked well. Dreamy guitars and vocals and good melodies.
I really wanted to see this tour. I liked early Lush a lot so Miki Berenyi would have been a nice bonus to the GO4 set which is really right up my street (showing my age here.....)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

New Order at Glasgow Hydro. 22 yrs since I last saw New Order for one reason or another - disliking The Sirens Call album, Hooky leaving put me off for a while also, but I seem to be over that - yet here I was, it was actually my daughter, who was 8wks old last time I saw them, who got the tickets or I probably would have passed. Glad she did though, they may getting older and those giant screens can be pretty unforgiving in the close ups, at one point Bernard’s hand was in close up and I swear he should be sharing the “Sausage Fingers” nick name with recently crowned head of state, amazed he can still play a guitar with those digits, a fair bit of reflections on time for me tonight tbh but I digress.
Once they started with Crystal I was fully on board, sound was a bit muddy but Christ it’s such great tune and the bangers just continued coming, slowed down a bit mid set including a version of Ultraviolence that I don’t think I’ve heard them playing before so yeah there was variety in there as well including a great reworking/ retooling of Isolation.
Has to be said the atmosphere all night was borderline manic with gleeful abandon all around - I was close to the front - but the last 45 mins of the main set: Subculture
BLT
Vanishing Point
Plastic
True Faith
Blue Monday
Temptation, was fantastic, the energy in the shitty big hangar was unbelievable, the production/ light show, everything, smiling ear to ear. After that the Joy Division encore was a bit of a let down tbh, a version of Decades made sure the ecstatic energy in the room evaporated quite quickly, Transmission was fantastic, how could it not be? Least said about the version of LWTUA the better, it wasn’t the giant pictures of Curtis or the sing along vibe although that was a bit cringey, it just sounded horrendous, whatever it couldn’t dampen the vibe of the night, at £75 it was an expensive ticket but it was great night, I’ll probably only get to about 15-ish gigs a yr but this will probably be GOTY for me 👌
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

olan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:15 pm I really wanted to see this tour. I liked early Lush a lot so Miki Berenyi would have been a nice bonus to the GO4 set which is really right up my street (showing my age here.....)
Not to rub it in, but it was honestly really good. Possibly gig of the year so far. I missed out on seeing Gang of Four many years ago with what i think was the while original lineup. Regretted it since, this was the next best thing.

I will definitely check out Miki further. She said she played songs from Lush, Paroskha(?) and new stuff. I was also struck by how confident she came across on stage.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

The Warlocks > Papillon Southampton
I remember seeing The Warlocks a while back in Brighton and wasn't that impressed. The gig at Papillon this week was in total contrast for me.
A really great set of stuff from the latest album which is quite dark, produced after the death of Bobby Hecksher's brother and mother. Also some old stuff as well.
A driving wall of sound with all sorts of noise in there. Smile on the face euphoric sound needed in these pretty shit times.
Great support from local psych band Dead Rabbits, always sounding good.
Wonderful evening, shame about the low crowd number showing.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Went to see Pale Blue Eyes last night at the Corn Exchange in Hertford. First time I've been to the venue. It has a capacity around 300 people but it was only half full - maybe the bad weather, or maybe people prefer the London gigs. CIEL were the suppot, not really my cup of tea TBH. PBE, however, were fantastic. It's the second time I've seen them this year and you can tell they are having a great time - bouncing around on stage with big smiles. It is really infectous and their krautrock, poppy, shoegaze vibe has got a great goove which really wants to make you dance. They released their second album in September and they played most of the songs from it, as well as debut albums favs such as Dr Pong which could last forever for me. Great friendly bunch too - we had a chat with the singer after at the Merch stand/table. Tempted to go to the London gig on the 16th if tickets are still available. Recommended!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

stegraham wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:19 am Went to see Pale Blue Eyes last night at the Corn Exchange in Hertford. First time I've been to the venue. It has a capacity around 300 people but it was only half full - maybe the bad weather, or maybe people prefer the London gigs. CIEL were the suppot, not really my cup of tea TBH. PBE, however, were fantastic. It's the second time I've seen them this year and you can tell they are having a great time - bouncing around on stage with big smiles. It is really infectous and their krautrock, poppy, shoegaze vibe has got a great goove which really wants to make you dance. They released their second album in September and they played most of the songs from it, as well as debut albums favs such as Dr Pong which could last forever for me. Great friendly bunch too - we had a chat with the singer after at the Merch stand/table. Tempted to go to the London gig on the 16th if tickets are still available. Recommended!
I caught PBE during the summer, i thought they were much better live than the records would suggest (which i found to be a bit lightweight). Nice Stereolab vibe at times. Also saw Ciel a few weeks ago supporting Blood Red Shoes. They were ok but not something i'd be searching out in the future.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Rose City Band last night.

I thought they came across much better live than on record. I like them but their sound can be a bit breezy and one note sometimes. Live it seemed more punchy and dynamic, and the songs seemed to come alive.
Some great musical interplay, always loved me some pedal steel (even if that was a bit low in the mix). Great keyboards and mellotron too, the way he weaved in with Ripley's playing was almost like a second guitar.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Off to see Rose City Band tonight in Liverpool, will report back
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

RoseCityBand > 1865 Southampton
Really enjoyed this one last night.
Saw them earlier on in the year in London, but wasn't that impressed. Ripley seemed to be in the background with his guitar work and vocals at the Plaza gig in London and there was more country than psych ( just a personal thought) .
Last night it was different and there were a lot more rambling country, psych songs with Ripley more up front. And of course the sound of pedal steel a plenty.
I asked Ripley after the gig if there was any news on the Moon Duo front, his reply was "I have no news for you" Bluntly.
Not sure what's going on there but 🤞. For some news at some point.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Enjoyed RCB in liverpool, annoying that his vocals are so buried in the mix, some nice simple melodies and hooks on record that are barely audible.
Songs from all 4 albums, no idea what order etc (which is poor for me , but i couldnt be arsed making notes) Do like the Philarmonic band room, nice space, good crowd in as well, which is staggering for liverpool on a Tuesday night. Tour poster/screen print is superb and only 12 quid
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Another Rose City Band experience at the Brudenell.

We were treated to Bobby Lee's excellent trio as support, and they were quite excellent. Steady, basic rhythms with a lot of gentle wobbly guitar and reverb over it. Proper cosmic country. I saw him in Pontefract earlier this year and I really enjoyed this second experience, as did the appreciative crowd who watched and listened.

The opening 3 songs of RCB were absolutely glorious. Opener Rabbit was perfectly weighted with an incredible shimmery climax. The next 2, forgotten the titles, were of the fast-paced style and both hit the spot spectacularly. That opening trio was as good as I've heard RCB. Absolutely fantastic sound in that place and it was pretty much perfect on Monday. I could have done with the pedal steel being a little louder but that's a minor grumble.

Everyone very friendly afterwards. I got chatting to the bass player who was familiar with the Brudenell and, to my surprise, turned out to be Moon Duo's drummer John! I felt a tad silly. I also asked Ripley to bring Moon Duo back to the UK. The shows I've seen as a 3 piece are most memorable. Got my fingers crossed on that one.

Anyway, great night.