What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

spzretent
Site Admin

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by spzretent »

Courtney Barnett/Kurt Vile- Royal Oak Music Theater 10/30.
I was a bit ambivalent going to this show but I bought tix the day they went on sale and now no one wanted to go with me because the weather turned a bit shit this night but I soldiered on. Tried to dump an extra ticket in front and someone else handed me their extra. Crazy.
The show was just what you think you would get. I am much more a CB fan and find Kurt Vile irritating sometimes. That said he can certainly play guitar. He beefed up the CB songs they played. The highlight was a cover of Elvis Presley Blues in which CB shined. That song was such an amazing surprise.
The crowd was on the old side which kind of amazed me. I mean way older. People from their 30's to well into their 60's. Had I been sitting in a bar next door looking looking out it seemed would have more like an Elton John looking crowd. I found this bizarre.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

RIDE on Weds night in Birmingham. Definitely more just solid and good rather then the heights they've reached previously- that's the way it goes. The sound should have been a bit louder and it didn't have that something extra. But still a great night.

As mentioned in the other thread, the good thing is that they're mixing up the setlists a little. From Time To Time seems to be a regular at the moment- I was never a huge fan of this song, but y'know what, it came across rather well live. Rocket Silver Symphony was the first song of the encore with a nice drawn out intro. and Close My Eyes got an airing too 8) (If I was being picky though, this was a bit of a truncated version without the outro it used to have back in the day- loved it when they used to jam it out a bit).

It was the old warhorses that really hit the mark though- Taste, Vapour Trail, and particularly Chelsea Girl were all superb.

Last gig of the year for me.. and for the first time in ages, at the mo I've not actually got anything else whatsover booked in! :/
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Saturday night it was King Crimson in Allentown PA, at Miller Symphony Hall. A nice old venue.

We were seated in the mezzanine, with a clear view of the stage. Sound was excellent, material focused on older material primarily. Jakko was a great vocalist. Three drummers really kept it percussive in nature.

I hadn't seen them since the mid-90s. The latest lineup sounded great!

Set list attached.

https://imgur.com/a/quRlV
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

My wife and I went to see Ride on Sunday night in Liverpool. I seem to have the same impression as Jon really. Putting to one side the fact the gig was in the smaller room in the O2 Academy (Which has the atmosphere, acoustics and sightlines of a coal cellar)the gig was OK, not awful, not great but OK. The sound was nice and clear, but it was nowhere near loud enough. During the noise interlude in Drive Blind, it was deathly quiet and we were just in front of the mixer :shock: . The new songs just don't do it for me, but to be brutally honest I have been saying that since they released Twisterella, so I shouldn't be surprised. Fair play to the band for recording an LP and then getting out and actually playing it. Sadly, eight new songs out of twenty-one played didn't do it for me. Also, fair play for playing 'From Time to Time' from Carnival of Light, but it is a weak tune from a poor LP. There were long periods where I was somewhere between being unable to get into the gig and just plain bored. The closing run of OX4, Vapour Trail and Drive Blind was very good, but nowhere near the heights of earlier times. The first song in the encore was 'White Sands' which did nothing for me or most standing near me. The set closed with Unfamiliar, LTAB and Chelsea Girl (which we missed as we decided to leave).

Overall, I would describe this as a score draw. Mid-gig I described it as dull, but it picked up from there. I don't think the venue helped, but as we were on the guests list it would be churlish to bag the show off. I was good to catch up with Dave and Gaz before the show. Next up for me is The Mark Lanegan Band, also at the fucking O2 :( .
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

As Olan mentioned, also at the Liverpool Ride show. We were three from the front and it was pretty loud, but I know what Olan means as I have watched gigs about halfway back in that venue and it's no where near loud enough. Personally I love the album and the gig, definitely my current face band at the moment. It was an excellent ending to the gig, as mentioned by Olan. Of the new songs, only Weather Diaries struggles for me. All I want and Lareral Alice were sounding great my ears.
We shall see you at Mark Lanegan Olan, another five artist of mine .
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Glasgow Barrowland
Have seen this group a fair few times and always had a great experience, so it was great to see them back round these parts after 4 yrs away, place was busy but maybe not sold out, but still a buzzing atmosphere, they didn`t disappoint, a great, dirty rock n roll show, maybe a little lull in places, they did play 7 new songs by my reckon from an album that`s not out till next yr and 24/25 songs over 2 hrs. Peter Hayes showing a lot of grey hair I noted, not a crime I have more than my share, but none of us are getting any younger and they do expend some energy over the piece but Robert Been is always a treat to watch playing the bass, 100% given, and great seeing Leah back behind her kit after her health scares, looking forward to the album now.

War On Drugs - Glasgow Barrowland
Went to this one with my daughter, Lost In The Dream was quite popular with everybody in the house and she was a bit miffed I never took her then, we went on the 1st of 2 sold out nights, great atmosphere inside, fantastic show again, WOD are just such a great live act, big band, big sound but you could hear every instrument, majority of the set was from A Deeper Understanding, Thinking Of A Place was a real stand out, followed by and extended Under The Pressure making for an impressive finish to the main set, you could feel the sprung dance floor in the old venue being put through its paces, they returned for a 3 song encore including a cracking version of Burning, we left before the end to beat the inevitable crush on the way out and missed Eyes to The Wind, but that`s a minor gripe, great to spend time with my daughter enjoying good music.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:As Olan mentioned, also at the Liverpool Ride show. We were three from the front and it was pretty loud, but I know what Olan means as I have watched gigs about halfway back in that venue and it's no where near loud enough. Personally I love the album and the gig, definitely my current face band at the moment. It was an excellent ending to the gig, as mentioned by Olan. Of the new songs, only Weather Diaries struggles for me. All I want and Lareral Alice were sounding great my ears.
We shall see you at Mark Lanegan Olan, another five artist of mine .
I really do think Ride are a band where the sound quality and volume really affects how satisfying their shows are. If they are not sufficiently loud they can sound thin and flat.

I'm somewhere between Olan and Dave in terms of my enjoyment of the album- I like it but it doesn't excite me that much. I'd say that it was the title track that (perhaps surprisingly) came across really well for me the other night.
You guys did get Unfamiliar which I'm jealous of! :) great tune.
At Liverpool did they cut the intro out of OX4? In Brum it was just Mark doing that bit with delay then straight into the song.

In case anyone is interested I would rank the Ride shows I've seen since the reunion as thus, from best to worst. They have ranged from some of the best gigs I've ever seen, to just okay. It really seems to depend what night you see them on. I've had similar experiences with Spiritualized amongst others!

Oxford New Theatre, 2017
Manchester Albert Hall, 2015
Oxford Academy, 2015
Birmingham Institute, 2017
Birmingham Institute, 2015
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

All this talk of RIDE brings back the anguished call I received in the summer from my mate, who was at their show in London at the Village Underground but left just before the end, after which he later discovered that they played (for the only time to my knowledge) the Spacemen 3 song Revolution!!

To say he was gutted was an understatement...
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Aldous Harding at Islington Assembly Hall and Brighton The Haunt.
An Aldous Harding performance is not just a vocal, guitar and keyboard thing, it's a visual display of body moves and facial expressions and contortions. Mesmerising to watch and listen to all the emotions coming through her songs.
She seems to command the venue in silence and you could hear a pin drop at both gigs.
No wonder she recently received album of the year by Rough Trade stores with ' Party ' .
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band at St. George's, Bristol. Yup - that guy again.

Just amazing. A 10 piece band including 4 guitarists at various points. A great set taken mainly from the new album and Shack's Waterpistol, but with a load of other classics chucked in. 90 minutes of delirious, joyous musical rapture. The version of Streets of Kenny was fucking incredible - the seated audience all stood up and roared their approval at the end. Comedy had everyone standing at the start and the place went nuts at the finish. What an atmosphere, what a gig.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

New Candys , Is Bliss and The Damn Shebang at Sticky Mikes Frog Bar, Brighton.
Italian take on psych rock, moody and dark with a great driving sound. Is Bliss a trio from Portsmouth, these guys sound better each time I see them . Looking forward to hearing their new album out fairly soon.
Lots of Verve, Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 influences .
Unfortunately only caught the end of The Damn Shebang set, but what I heard sounded good. Another great Acid Box promotion night .
Shame about the lack of punters.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Last gig of the yr for me was last Sat, Mogwai supported by Ride at the relatively new Glasgow Hydro enormo-dome. Mogwai`s biggest Scottish show to date apparently, it wasn`t sold out, in fact there were quite a few seats empty but the main hall floor was heaving so maybe 5/6000? Made no difference anyway, there was still a great atmosphere, Ride played for an hr and were pretty good, 2nd time seeing them support somebody this yr, 3rd time seeing them since they reformed and I think my interest in seeing them is done, tbf the sound system - and I was pretty much stage front - made them sound brilliant, way better than the two times I`ve seen them at Barrowland recently.

The main event sees a slightly unusual looking Mogwai start up, female drummer from HoneyBlood I think, stepping in for normal skin basher, absent through Ill health and a very fresh faced youth on rhythm doing some hell of a spade work on our side of the stage, hard to keep your eyes off him, I mean Braithwaite is hardly rivetting, whatever, with Mogwai its the music anyway, new stuff sounded great and the classics soared in this great custom built arena, only been here twice, last time QOTSA, shit, this time Mogwai kinda owning the place although Ill be glad to get back to one of Scotlands smaller live venues for my next live gig.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Couple of shows in the last week.

I took all my children to see The Damned at Leeds O2 Academy last week. That was a thrill in itself but they all loved it, but how could they not? The Damned are as irresistible as ever. A lot of the set focused on The Black Album and Strawberries, partly because of bassist Paul Gray's rejoining the band last year, so unexpected tunes like Silly Kids Games, Under the Floor Again and Gun Fury made an appearance, but the most surprising inclusion was Seagulls, an obscure psychedelic b-side. Lots of banter between the band and crowd, great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Set closer Neat Neat Neat caused 2 of my kids to go nuts as that was the tune they were waiting for. Almost brought a tear to my eye! The final encore of Jet Boy Jet Girl was terrific, and even after attending over 30 Damned gigs in my time that's the first I've ever heard that played. The stand out element of the whole night was Captain Sensible's sensational guitar performance. The guy is just incredible - note perfect from start to finish. Well played sir!

Then Moon Duo in the new Community Room at the Brudenell in Leeds on Saturday. Another very enjoyable set from these guys. Far less intense visually as they lost most of the back stage projections and focused more on twin coloured lights shining forward. A similar set to last time - a great deal of Spacemen 3 in the sound - but that last EP played as the encore. No Fun was immense.

This new purpose-built room at the Brudenell is excellent. I've rarely heard a live sound as good as that - crystal clear, good and loud yet the system there is so state-of-the-art my ears didn't ring at all next day. A good appreciative crowd and the room almost full yet still comfortable. Big thumbs up from the bunch I went with.

Saw both these gigs with Mr & Mrs BVCP206 - always a pleasure!
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Moon Duo , Xoyo London.
Always a great experience these days at a Moon Duo gig , both sound and visually.
I know it's been a few years now , but the addition of the drummer, which initially I wasn't quite sure about, has made the sound so much more dynamic.
The light show was brilliant again, especially for the encore, during the Stooges cover No Fun. Great evening.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Brother JT
RunHideFight
at
The Alternative Gallery, Allentown, PA

RHF had a short but energetic opening set. JT plays guitar in this group.
https://www.runhidefightband.com/

Brother JT played some old Original Sins nuggets, along with some new material coming out on their next album, due in Spring, called Tornado Juice.
https://thrilljockey.com/products/tornado-juice
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

3 gigs in 5 days... by the end of last week, i was a burst fuckin ball!

First up, Desert Mountain Tribe @ Broadcast. Someone gave me their album last year and i thought it was good - nothing particularly groundbreaking, but this 3-piece had a big sound and i liked their sound. THis was also the first chance i had to catch them. The two support bands were crap - one was trying very hard to be Biffy Clyro, while the other were doing a "friends and family" type show (lots of parents and grandparents in the audience for them). Neither of them any any way similar in style to DMT, but obvious slot fillers. DMT are... very much on the fringes of psych-lite. We're not talking mainstream top 10 stuff, but their songs are easily access and enjoyable. As a three piece, their sound is big and Jonty (yep, real name) is a really good guitarist. They put on a really good show and they album tracks sounded great live. The played Interstellar, my favourite track, so a thoroughly enjoyable show got the trio of gigs off to a good start.

Next up, The Myrrors @ Broadcast. Now, i had really high hopes for this show after all the reports from those who had attended the Manchester show a few nights before. I've been obsessingover their live show for the last 3 weeks after watching one of their live shows on Youtube... everyday... several times a day! I was ridiculously excited for this show. Firest support band, Kundalini Genie are a local band just finding their feet. I know their front man and they put on a ok show. Should hold back on the stage antics a little and concentrate on the music as it sounds like they are still fine tuning their live sound. Started and finished with a cover of The 13th Floor Elevators "Reverberation" which they named their album after so, kudos for that. Next up were another local band, Black Cat Revue. Now, i've seen these guys before a few times and they were always very much style over substance... all wearing vintage clothes/costumes, playing vintage gear and having all their pretty girlfriends hanging off their arms in their vintage 60s clothes. makes you fucking sick. The plus side was that they weren't that great when i had previously seen them so that always made me chuckle! Unfortunately, there was something different with them tonight and their was a real heaviness to them that they didn't have before. They stormed through an impressive sounding set and were miles better than when i had previously seen them. Had a quick chat with one of the guitarists at the end and he filled me in on their new drummer, who's a bit of a powerhouse, so much so that the band are now trying to keep up with him when playing, which gives their songs a lot more urgency and balls! Be interesting to see them again sometime. Still had their fucking girlfriends with them though (who incidentally disturbed our enjoyment of The Myrrors while scrambling for their purses stageside!). Finally, we had The Myrrors. Now, the footage i'd been obsessing over was a 90min show in Germany. I was hoping for much the same, but unfortunately we got just 45mins from them due to bloody venue curfew (the band were rather frustrated with this when i spoke afte the show). However, it was 45mins of absolutely sublime drone-psych... not just good, not even just great, but FUCKING BREATHTAKINGLY BRILLIANT!!!! The audience stood transfixed to them as they blew our minds. Easily one of the greatest shows i've witnessed. Good to catch up with a few of friends too, including our very own Gary (Niamh) and have a quick chat the Myrrors boys who were gutted at the short set. Next time.

Lastly, and probably for the best as i was starting to toil a little, was Carlton Melton. There aren't many bands i truely obsess over and i mean REALLY obsess over, but Carlton Melton are one of them. I missed their last show in Glasgow as they arrived on the day i flew to Florida on holiday and it always annoyed me, so much so i have been busting Andy Duvall's (their drummer) balls for the last 18 months to get their arses back to Glasgow. Plus, i needed a new t-shirt as my old one was getting a little threadbare! Oh and i may have drunkenly promised them a bottle of Buckfast too! Kinda sets the scene for how it all panned out...
First band of the night was Drone Rivers, kinda side project of The Cosmic Dead, but also kinda the new Cosmic Dead too as i think a lineup change maybe a foot! Very much The Cosmic Dead sound... unimaginabley loud; waves and waves of noise and sound pummelling all those who were watching it. New drummer is bit more intense than their previous guy and that gave their set a real pace to it. So much so, it was over before you knew it... although the beer was weell and truely flowing by this stage. Next up, Dead Otters. I've seen the name before but have never caught them. Have been going for a good few years now too but Omar, bass player with The Cosmic Dead, has joined them on guitar. And i'm fucking annoyed that i've never seen this lot before because they are brilliant! Nice Sabbath-esque riffs... definite Earthless vibe from them, the two guitar sound amazing blazing against each other... oh just such a great vibe and sound! Really really enjoyable.
By this time, the Cosmic Dead guitarist, James T, has been pouring Buckfast down our throats and Carlton Melton have almost finished the bottle i turned up with. I've handed over an Album of the Year 2017 award to the guys from The Cosmic Dead in a stairwell in the back of the venue and i'm pretty stoned too! And i've STILL to see Carlton Melton.
Finally they all came on stage and, after a few technical delays, they started with a nice twin guitar meander with Andy creating a lovely repeating matra allowing Rich to start to play over the top of it, all before Andy returned to the drum kit and started pounding it with all him might for the next few tracks. he interchanged a few times thorughout the show backing up Rich's guitar and synth play wonderfully, all the while Clint, the bass player, stood almost in the shadows playing a less-is-more role; not in a surplus-to-requirements way... in a this-is-all-it-needs kinda way!
Its over all too soon. They've over ran and i'm missed the last train (fuck leaving THIS show!) and now i have to get home. Had a good chat with a variety of people post-show and big hugs and drunken laughs with the CM guys before we stagger out into the night and then try and find a taxi (which was an adventure in ityself!).

Exhausted, wasted, deaf and definitely drunk... three gigs in 5 days... TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!!

8) 8) 8) 8)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

This is by far the best gig report I've ever read on this thread, which has now been going on for many years.

:D

Respect Laz. Whatever you were on I want a bit of that too. Even if it was just Buckfast...
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I missed the Carlton Melton gig in Leeds last night as all buses into town were cancelled. Boo!

:cry:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

runcible wrote:I missed the Carlton Melton gig in Leeds last night as all buses into town were cancelled. Boo!

:cry:
That sucks - was it the snow? I have been following Andy Duvall's Instragram & Facebook feeds.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Saw Carlton Melton and Chain and the Gang last night. Carlton Melton was pretty ok, although they played ear-splitting loud. Chain and the Gang are incredible, like a mix of early B52's and Boss Hogg with absurd poetry inbetween the songs. They're a great live band! Go and catch them live if you have the chance!
"Thank you"
mooseandhobbes
New user

Post by mooseandhobbes »

Monday night, Chain and the Gang at Oslo.

Great fun and full of energy. Ian Svenonius is the most obvious focus, and spent half the gig standing, leaning, sitting on the shoulders of members of the audience while singing and/or pontificating on a diverse range of topics including; Oslo (club) -v- Oslo (city) - which came first? and recycling (some trash you don't see much any more); and doing spectacular high-kicks.

They also all wore super multi-coloured leopard-print suits.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Carlton Melton @ Soup Kitchen, Manchester last Friday.

Excellent support from Plank, who really seem to have found a new level, they were astonishing at times,blending so many styles into their standard instrumental set, I was found struggling to put a finger on who if anyone they reminded me of.
Carlton Melton smashed it of the park as always, set largely drawn from the new album book ended by Smoke Drip and When You're In. Crowd a bit lower than the promoter had hoped, maybe a shade under 80 or 90 in total

Then we had them come to our lovely intimate venue The Salty Dog in Northwich, they had played Brighton (For Adam, whom was uber ill after too much partying with them) at the Drone Rock show and then Salisbury on the way up back to leafy Cheshire. Andy Duvall was so so ill I was thinking he would not manage playing. Rest of the band were of the "hey man he's a pro" attitude but I was worried. He had a 2 hour siesta in my bed after I had filled them with some damn fine pore gig food and we were back to see Sonic Trip project set up and ready themselves for action, then our very own James T plugs in and we have a dj (Suicide launched 2nd into his set with typical panache !)
Sonic Trip Project are very very Hawkwind, but that was no bad thing to my ears, some members of Vert X in their ranks plus Nik turners touring band so decent pedigree.
Onto Stupid Cosmonaut who added a really dark guitar led set into a furious closing song, all the set apparently new and sounded less electronic than recent stuff. They continue to evolve and I like them for that, never standing still in one sound as it were.
Then amazingly Andy is up with the rest of the band and we have a headliner. Now I have seen these guys 8 times and this was easily the least furious show they have produced but that was purely down to Andy's illness, he simply held it all together, lesser men would have bailed out I'm sure. The locals loved it, the venue loved it, the band enjoyed themselves too. Mugstars drummer in the hugely encouraging Monday night crowd and is up for playing for me soon, so watch this space. There is spliced youtube version of the show including all 3 bands, well worth a look.
Northwich is back on the map people
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Thanks for the great Carlton Melton reviews. Europe gets them, but not the East coast of the USA. :roll:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

davedecay wrote:Thanks for the great Carlton Melton reviews. Europe gets them, but not the East coast of the USA. :roll:
Or me, because of the damn snow!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:
davedecay wrote:Thanks for the great Carlton Melton reviews. Europe gets them, but not the East coast of the USA. :roll:
Or me, because of the damn snow!
I missed them on Monday night too having also had to miss the Brighton show. :cry: :cry:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I feel bad for you guys!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just to throw my hat in the ring re: Carlton Melton. they were excellent as always at the Drone Rock Records showcase in Brighton.
all the bands were good really, obviously all on the dronier/spacier end of the spectrum but with some variation- I am partial to the one man and his laptop/delay pedal setup and Stereocilia managed to build up a great wash of sound. Gnob and Melt Dunes were more psych-rock with some tasty riffs.

but Carlton Melton really showed why they are kings amongst psych bands. just the sounds that they get- so many great textures on the guitars and keyboards, it always sound big but thick and warm. and they like to keep it loose and organic. as people have said above, the set alternated between the more droney keyboard based numbers and the rockier ones when Andy climbs behind the kit. however unlike the past they mix it up throughout rather than having a set of two halves.
an epic When You're In was the set ender, so glad to get that (I don't think they play it every time).

all in all a great night. big thanks to Shines and Mrs Shines for letting me crash too (and also Mrs Shines for coordinating the journey back to home base, as Adam was in rather a drunken state by that stage!)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote:an epic When You're In was the set ender, so glad to get that (I don't think they play it every time).
I'd love to see that played live... you lucky bugger!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote:
angelsighs wrote:an epic When You're In was the set ender, so glad to get that (I don't think they play it every time).
I'd love to see that played live... you lucky bugger!
it's astonishing live. it was that song that really blew my head off when I first saw them at Supersonic festival (2012 I think?) and cemented it as one of the best gigs I've seen. it often climaxes with the guitar player jumping into the crowd or even handing the guitar to an audience member
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I posted the set for the Salty Dog on www.setlist.fm, identical for Friday and Monday (they think anyway, I couldn't hear any differences) Finished both nights with When You're In, they normally play it when I see them, but I am normally pissed at this point and shouting loudly for it ! Really nice guys though and a pleasure to have stop over, they were so appreciative of the hospitality of my good wife and myself also the venue whom supplied them with free Salty Dog t shirts and beers a plenty. Just a top night really. Sound in there is really good as well...I'm selling this place too much, I will shut up know !
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Thee Hypnotics - King Tuts, Glasgow.

Had been approaching this gig with a bit of trepidation to be honest, now I really liked Thee Hypnotics back in the day but by no stretch were they a big band even in `indie` circles, so while I was pleased to get another chance to see them I wondered how much interest there would actually be in them,pleasingly good turn out on the night as it happened, maybe not sold out but not far away.

Was watching Ray Hansen tune up and he looked twitchy an nervous, maybe not a surprise as it`s only the 4th gig in 20 yr but when they kicked off into a super Soul Trader it was like a switch had been flicked, total ball of energy for a man so slight of frame, channeling Hendrix/Richards and Williamson, him and Jim Jones make quite the spectacle, a retro spectacle perhaps but they were just so good at it, in a mostly older crowd some folk were seriously losing their shit, by the time they finished with Justice In Freedom it was a pretty celebratory atmosphere. Band played for 75 mins and other highlights for me were Come Down Heavy, All Night Long, Shakedown, Burned By The Flames and Revolution Stone. Must mention the rhythm section, they were the so solid foundation that allowed the front two to go nuts, Phil Staines I believe on drums was just incredible, looked like Bill Baileys dad in a crumpled three piece suit but boy could he play. So if you`re feeling down, maybe a bit shitty, you could do a lot worse than catch Thee Hypnotics and this high energy rock n roll show just now, who knows how long it`ll last.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

niamhm wrote:Thee Hypnotics - King Tuts, Glasgow.

Had been approaching this gig with a bit of trepidation to be honest, now I really liked Thee Hypnotics back in the day but by no stretch were they a big band even in `indie` circles, so while I was pleased to get another chance to see them I wondered how much interest there would actually be in them,pleasingly good turn out on the night as it happened, maybe not sold out but not far away.

Was watching Ray Hansen tune up and he looked twitchy an nervous, maybe not a surprise as it`s only the 4th gig in 20 yr but when they kicked off into a super Soul Trader it was like a switch had been flicked, total ball of energy for a man so slight of frame, channeling Hendrix/Richards and Williamson, him and Jim Jones make quite the spectacle, a retro spectacle perhaps but they were just so good at it, in a mostly older crowd some folk were seriously losing their shit, by the time they finished with Justice In Freedom it was a pretty celebratory atmosphere. Band played for 75 mins and other highlights for me were Come Down Heavy, All Night Long, Shakedown, Burned By The Flames and Revolution Stone. Must mention the rhythm section, they were the so solid foundation that allowed the front two to go nuts, Phil Staines I believe on drums was just incredible, looked like Bill Baileys dad in a crumpled three piece suit but boy could he play. So if you`re feeling down, maybe a bit shitty, you could do a lot worse than catch Thee Hypnotics and this high energy rock n roll show just now, who knows how long it`ll last.
Sounds great , looking forward to seeing them in just over a week at Portsmouth Wedgwood Rooms. Thanks for the review Niamh .
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I saw Thee Hypnotics in Leeds a couple of weeks ago..

I must be honest & say I wasn't convinced. I loved them almost 30 years ago but... despite them looking even scuzzier than they did back then - which actually helps with a band like that - I found they didn't quite gel. Playing Soul Trader as an opener was risky as that's their greatest moment for me, but even that didn't really do it. I'll also say I thought the material where Jim Jones didn't sing was more enjoyable as his vocals weren't good. One thing that did strike me was how much of an influence they were on The Black Crowes which I thought was pretty cool.

It was worth going but we didn't stay for the full show. I'd catch them as a support again but not as a headline act...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:19 pm I saw Thee Hypnotics in Leeds a couple of weeks ago..
One thing that did strike me was how much of an influence they were on The Black Crowes which I thought was pretty cool.
Interesting. During the 90s I was always of the opinion that Thee Hypnotics were the band The Black Crowes wished they could be, probably unfair as I never ventured into The Black Crowes world. I did see them at Glastonbury ('95 I think) and some of their stuff reminded me of the Grateful Dead that day.

Never seen Thee Hypnotics though :(
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I saw Lumerians and Follakzoid last night. I'd seen Lumerians once before, so I knew the deal, but they were great: hypnotic, driving psych rock with awesome vintage synth tones. I have to admit that their robe/mask aesthetic appeals to me. I don't know if they have a new record coming soon or not. Hope so. This band is underrated.

Follakzoid were ... not good. Never before have a seen a frontman do less. He spent most of the time gyrating, stopping every once in awhile to play a single, thoughtless note on his guitar and then fiddle with pedals. This went on and on and on. A limp dirge. The lineup is a DJ, a drummer and the "guitarist". Completely and utterly underwhelming. This sentiment was shared the two friends that went along with me.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I know a few people that have said that, initially, it was cool, but they are still playing thge same shit show as they were initially, and people are now VERY BORED of it all. As much as i have enjoyed some of their releases, i can only imagine how dull they are live.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's a strange thing with Follakzoid. the first time I saw them (ATP) I was really impressed (as I think were fellow forumites in attendance), blown away actually.

seen them twice since then and it's been diminishing returns each time, with the most recent being very boring. I'm not sure whether it's just that because it's the same old schtick each time and if anyone else saw them for the first time, it would be just as effective..

or whether it's other external factors like the sound needs to be really good etc (at ATP the sound was excellent, all the feedback and distortion was sounding just right)

they had a DJ instead of a bass player??
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, there was no bassist. The guitarist, DJ and drummer. I seriously couldn't figure out what was going on with the guitarist and eventually decided that he doesn't actually know how to play.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah Follakzoid lost a heap of fans last time I saw them. Coments I heard were,”they could do with learning another song”
The guitarist (if thats what you call him) tried to make the whole thing about him, bizzare dancing, not actually playing much and twiddling with his guitar pedals, bass player looked bored, so much so he has left ones assumes. Wont be bothering with this lot
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

went to see Yo La Tengo last week at Birmingham Town Hall. they had changed to seating as I don't think that many tickets were sold- probably about 1/2 full.

I have to say I still have reservations about this band's live prowess, there were still moments where it was great but on the whole it left me unsatisfied. particularly the first half of the set which was super quiet and minimal (mainly drawn from the new album) unfortunately bordering on a snorefest.

the second half was cranked up a bit but still only really got going for me near the end where a run of great setlist choices meant they build up a nice head of steam (top off my head, including From a Motel 6, Beanbag Chair, Tom Courtney..). the main set ended with a version of Little Honda including a very Spiritualized-esque noise breakdown in the middle.

I think part of the problem is only having the three of them to fill out the sound. they do what they can (looping stuff, moving between instruments etc) but they never really sound big enough for me, even on the rockier songs.

it's a shame because they are a great band on record but don't think I'll catch them live again unless it's at a festival or something.

then I also had a ticket for Hibushibure later in the week but after a truly knackering time at work decided to stay in instead.. I'm getting old!!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The above post sums up perfectly my feelings towards Yo La Tengo, I opted out of their last few tours and I really don't see myself returning to the fold unless they drop their ticket prices by a good chunk.

Anyways, on a completely different tip, this week I had a double helping of heaviness when I caught Conan and Monolord.
Both acts played an hour set with Monolord on first. Plenty of low end Doom but without the shite vocals and incorporating a 70s vibe with a smidgeon of psych too. A lot heavier than their albums would suggest and a band I would definitely go see again.
Conan were kinda the opposite as they weren't as heavy as I expected. Still heavy mind you but without the low end bass rumble I was anticipating. A bit more of a punk edge at times in that their sound wasn't as thick as Monolord's. They played one song that I can best desribe as an instrumental Doom version of Stereolab's 'Heavy Denim'!
A decent gig and nice to hear some truly heavy music without falling into 100% metal.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:33 pm The above post sums up perfectly my feelings towards Yo La Tengo, I opted out of their last few tours and I really don't see myself returning to the fold unless they drop their ticket prices by a good chunk.
glad it's not just me. I've seen other reports from their gigs that they were 'incredible' and so on, but I've seen them 4 times now and it's only ever been moments within each show that really hit the spot. and a few moments isn't enough really is it?

perhaps strangely the show I enjoyed most as a whole was on the last tour where it was the acoustic setup. I say strange as usually it's naturally the more bombastic and noisy gigs that leave a greater impression.

Josh T Pearson last week at the Glee Club, Birmingham.

this was one of those gigs where I wasn't that excited to be going, but walked out with a big smile on my face. love it when that happens.

Josh said his band were very new and still 'working out the kinks' but they sounded pretty tight to me. with him playing that fender guitar with crisp reverb on it, and the fella from Lift to Experience on drums, certain moments did give flashes of the old LTE sound.

the setlist was a nice mixture of-

songs from the new record (which I haven't heard yet, but sounded like surprisingly tight and structured tunes)

covers (old country songs, and very surprisingly a Mojave 3 cover which he introduced as a 'Neil Halstead song' and challenged the audience to know who he was)

songs from the previous solo record but in dynamic full band arrangements (this was the best bit for me)

oh and an unreleased song!

plus plenty of banter and jokes in between the songs. not bad for £15

Josh said that after being quiet for a while, he now plans to put out an album each year for the next 10 years (possibly a joke but who knows). there are also whispers that Lift to Experience will be putting out more music...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Saw John Prine last week and was BLOWN AWAY. So great and powerful. Swamp Dogg came out and sang "Sam Stone" with him. I had no idea it was a cover. (For those who do not know, it is the song Jason heavily borrowed from for the lyrics of Cop Shoot Cop.) I highly recommend catching him if anyone has the chance.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I came late to the Yo La Tengo party, but after repeatedly reading good things here - I was richly rewarded in buying I Am Not Afraid Of You And Will Beat Your Ass on spec!

I was unsure how they managed to translate their rich and incredibly impressive diverse recordings, to the live stage, hence have not ventured to see them live so far.

The most appealing review of their live show was ironically when they toured with a big wheel, to decide the set list, plus apparently they would reenact entire episodes of Seinfeld at some gigs - which sounded hilarious.

I'm guessing the latter was just for one tour, or do they often employ such unusual audience engagement techniques frequently at gigs?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Just recovering from back-to-back London shows by The The - no small undertaking for a man of my age and with the current disaster of a train service in and out of the 'smoke'.

He/they are among my top three all time musical heroes, so these comeback shows were a must-see for me. And at the Albert Hall in particular it was just a sublime, joyous celebration of brilliant music. A proper career-spanning setlist (even including two off Burning Blue Soul!) done organically, and by that I mean all live drums and nothing sampled/sequenced. Naturally this worked better for some of the later material than the more 'electronic' Soul Mining and Infected songs, although Uncertain Smile was right up there with the best of them.

Sometime Spiritualized-er Little Barrie on guitar played his heart out and Earl Harvin on drums was mesmerising. I remember being blown away by him when The The last toured for NakedSelf and he still very much has it. There was a lot of love in the room and it will definitely be worth seeking out the live DVD which it was filmed for.

The bigger, less intimate Brixton, with its 'agricultural' PA, was never going to suit the more tender songs in the setlist as well as the Albert Hall did, but it was still a fantastic show, and interesting to see how the playing of certain songs is still evolving with this new band. Waitin' for Tomorrow was outstanding, whereas that had been one of the few slightly disappointing ones the night before...

Basically, if you like The The you owe it to yourself to get out and see these wonderful musicians in action.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm I came late to the Yo La Tengo party, but after repeatedly reading good things here - I was richly rewarded in buying I Am Not Afraid Of You And Will Beat Your Ass on spec!

I was unsure how they managed to translate their rich and incredibly impressive diverse recordings, to the live stage, hence have not ventured to see them live so far.

The most appealing review of their live show was ironically when they toured with a big wheel, to decide the set list, plus apparently they would reenact entire episodes of Seinfeld at some gigs - which sounded hilarious.

I'm guessing the latter was just for one tour, or do they often employ such unusual audience engagement techniques frequently at gigs?
Yo La Tengo definitely are a band that tends to mix their setlists up a lot. I believe they've played a rather substantial selection of different songs on this current tour. and I think they are even a band that might take requests from the audience. but the wheel thing was for a specific tour only. when I saw them we got a Condofucks set for the first half.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Bardo Pond at The 100 Club London

Post by BROKENHEART »

LOUD,LOUD,LOUD , myself to blame ,being within touching distance of Michael Gibbons and his Marshal amps . The band have got it together tonight, a pounding, Throbbing, distorted drone that becomes mesmeric, especially when Isobel Sollenberger comes in on the flute. Although at times her vocals are drowned in the sea of the noise machine.
New songs from Under the Pines , the title track , Out of reach ,My eyes out and Moment to moment.
Other songs are Tommy gun angel , Effigy ,Cud and the wonderful Kali yuga blues .
Couldn't keep my eyes off Scott Verrastro (standing in on this tour) brilliant work on the drums tonight.
Support tonight came from The Oscillation, lots of reverb , fuzz and feedback ,all the right stuff that worked for me with a pedal board to be proud of.
Only downer for me tonight, the bars loaded with shit . The music made up for it totally.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah Bardo Pond, quite outstanding

Leeds Brudenell Fri 8th June

Braved the M62 on a Friday at rush hour(s) and strapped myself in for nigh on 2 hours of sonic bliss.

No support, so we got The Pond on at 9.05 and they were done for 10.50 ish.

Mesmeric is the word I will use. The layers of volume they seem to be able to pluck from goodness knows where just sweep you away. The version of Effigy completely slays the album version, it built up and continued building until I was effectively transported elsewhere. Quite superb. The main set closer of 'And I Will' (off Volume 8) was jaw dropping, 20 minutes of absolute perfection. As mentioned above, stand in drummer was amazing, set was
1) Chinatown
2)Kali Yaga Blues
3) Out Of Reach
4) My Eyes Out
5)Moment To Moment
6) Tommy Gun Angel
7) Effigy
8) And I will
--------------------------------
9) Under The Pines
10 Amen
solarflare returns
Known user

Post by solarflare returns »

Haven't been on here for a while but good to be back and good to see its still probably one of the best forums on the net, lots of great people, old friends, and the bonus of some ace Spiritualized news...... Last gig, Lee Perry, Band on the Wall, Manchester, took my 15 yr old son to his first gig, we were right at the front, brilliant venue, totally rammed, lots of high fives and handshakes from the Upsetter so my night was made!! The band was good, guitarist was fckn ace..... But.... As is Mr Perrys wont.... For someone who slags down Bob Marley most of the time..... He played three of his songs!!! Ha ha, great night though
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

forgot to post on this thread for absolutely yonks, will keep it short and sweet rather than rambling

The Rolling Stones (Coventry Ricoh Arena)
totally exceeded my expectations. a big show but basically no gimmicks, just a great rock band who still seem really on form. the setlist covered all the bases even a couple of deep cuts. through family connections we were in the VIP area too, so great view.

Omni/Crack Cloud (Coventry The Tin)
two quite similar bands, very stripped down and minimalist punk kinda stuff. good night out but nothing to blow me away.

My Bloody Valentine (Birmingham Institute)
as mentioned elsewhere, very rough around the edges as a warmup show but great to see them back and still sound like nothing else. when it all clicked (Soon) sounded fantastic

Preoccupations (Birmingham Hare & Hounds)
now this really exceeded my expectations. possibly gig of the year so far. they sounded huge through the Hare & Hounds PA, the drummer is an animal and still played good helping of Viet Cong stuff which was nice and noisy.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Finally got to see Earthless play live last week down here in Brighton. Wow! I have been waiting to see them play for some time and it was certainly worth the wait. All 3 of them are fantastic musicians but Isaiah Mitchell in particular is an incredible guitar player. Played for about an hour and half and I could have easily listened for another hour and a half. I thought the Cosmic Dead gig the week before was going to be hard to beat but this just topped that. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:38 pm Finally got to see Earthless play live last week down here in Brighton. Wow! I have been waiting to see them play for some time and it was certainly worth the wait. All 3 of them are fantastic musicians but Isaiah Mitchell in particular is an incredible guitar player. Played for about an hour and half and I could have easily listened for another hour and a half. I thought the Cosmic Dead gig the week before was going to be hard to beat but this just topped that. 8)
well that's just rubbing salt in the wounds Ads. I've also wanted to see Earthless for a good while, had tickets for the recent Birmingham show but I wasn't very well. they remain "the one that got away!"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:38 pm Finally got to see Earthless play live last week down here in Brighton. Wow! I have been waiting to see them play for some time and it was certainly worth the wait. All 3 of them are fantastic musicians but Isaiah Mitchell in particular is an incredible guitar player. Played for about an hour and half and I could have easily listened for another hour and a half. I thought the Cosmic Dead gig the week before was going to be hard to beat but this just topped that. 8)
Must agree with the `Wow!` sentiment, saw them a couple of weeks back as well in Glasgow and was blown away by them again. The new material with vocals stood up amazingly well beside the older material and they played a good 90 mins here as well, Mitchell`s guitar playing really is outstanding if heavy, space/psyche and blues is your bag,
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Fuzz Club Eindhoven weekend!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

My buddy Art (of Photon Band and others) wrote up the MBV gig we attended in Philadelphia on 30 July.

https://daggerzine.tumblr.com/post/1775 ... -pa-at-the

It was super-loud, my densest earplugs protected my hearing from ringing and tinnitus.

Also saw Andy Duvall from Carlton Melton and a handful of other friends.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

End of the road festival (Dorset)
Probably the most chilled out festival I've been to over the years.
Beautiful setting in the Larmer tree gardens near Salisbury.
Loads of highlights } Josh T P set and q&a gig , Fat White Family, St Vincent ( surprisingly good) , Amyl and the sniffers , insecure men , Plastic Mermaids, Warmduscher, Iceage, Jonathan Wilson ,
John Cale , Idles , Feist and Ariel Pink.
Top sets for me were Oh Sees fantastic energy and The Liminanas driving sound ,reminiscent of BJM . A festival recommendation. 😎
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 am End of the road festival (Dorset)
Probably the most chilled out festival I've been to over the years.
Beautiful setting in the Larmer tree gardens near Salisbury.
Loads of highlights } Josh T P set and q&a gig , Fat White Family, St Vincent ( surprisingly good) , Amyl and the sniffers , insecure men , Plastic Mermaids, Warmduscher, Iceage, Jonathan Wilson ,
John Cale , Idles , Feist and Ariel Pink.
Top sets for me were Oh Sees fantastic energy and The Liminanas driving sound ,reminiscent of BJM . A festival recommendation. 😎
Electric Picnic on the same weekend and the only act we got from the above mentioned was St.Vincent :roll: I didn't go see her as Death Grips were on the same time. I think I chose correctly.

Couple of days later I saw Matt Hollywood & The Bad Feelings. For those of you into the stoned, groovy, Velvets/Stones rip-off side of BJM I recommend checking Hollywood out. He's got Bobby Hecksher from The Warlocks on bass too. Played a mixture of his own and BJM material over the course of about 70 minutes.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah saw Matt Hollywood in London at the splendid Shacklewell Arms. Main draw for me was Asteroid#4 whom I had seen in Manchester the Saturday previous. Nice mix in both their gigs, mainly drawing from last 3 albums. Great psych cosmic desert vibes. They are a great bunch and they were super tight in both shows.
Wasn’t sure what to expect from Matt Hollywood but I concur with Sunray, superb live that ragged velvet/BJM thing, but Matt has a far better voice than Anton so for me it works a wee bit better. Decent crowd in, seemed nigh on full, plus had the added bonus in bu ping into my good pals The Hanging Stars, of which 3 members were in attendance.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:12 pm ...my good pals The Hanging Stars, of which 3 members were in attendance.
They are soooo good. When i saw them earlier this year supporting GospelbeacH, i couldn't help but think of A#4 as a point of reference.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah, Sam the bass player is a good pal of mine and through him I know Rich reasonably well now. (They are in the Lightshines as well, although has taken a back seat for now)
Hoping to entice them North early next year to play for me at the Salty Dog in Northwich
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

We flew to NYC weekend before last ago to see Cheval Sombre live at a very small venue in Brooklyn. It was magic. Had the chance to speak with him at length afterward and he was kind enough to sign all of the vinyl I had brought with me and exchange a hug. We might go back to NYC see him and Dean Wareham play on December 7th.
I think I feel it coming on
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Where's that gonna be?
I'm right outside of NYC.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

NYC’s Le Poisson Rouge on December 7 and San Francisco’s The Chapel on January 26 announced so far. I wouldn't be surprised if those were the only two as Cheval Sombre performances are unfortunately rare.
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Wooden Shjips in Whelans, Dublin last night. Support came from Woven Skull who were decent but not as enjoyable as when they supported Gnod earlier in the year. Never any need for a drum solo, and certainly not in a half hour set, but anyways...
The Shjips were their usual selves, nice groove, Ripleys guitar and trippy visuals. 75 minutes, nice mixture of old and new material. You know what you're gonna get really but it always hits the spot for me.
Dusty's bass playing really grabbed me this time, he's so minimal in every way, cool as fuck. Then there's Nash on keyboards, I used to think of him as a fucked up Gene Wilder but i've now decided he's more of a very fucked up, whacked out Jonah Hill! I keep expecting to see stalactites of drool hanging from his gaping mouth :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Lost Horizons, Grand Social, Dublin
Decent crowd for a Monday night gig which was also the last date of the tour. Having given the album a cursory listen I wasn't sure if i'd enjoy this or not. Mature, well crafted songsmithery is not really my thing after all. But given the pedigree of those involved I took a punt. What we got was elements of Kate Bush, latter period Sundays and a smidgeon of dreampop, with visuals provided by Innerstrings as an added bonus.
Nice to see Richard Thomas working his way around the drums in a manner the Reids would never have allowed, I spent alot of the set watching him. I think we had five different vocalists, most of whom were also in the band. Overall it was fine/ok/grand but if it had been an unknown band I probably wouldn't have bothered in the first place. I reckon i'd mark it down as good but not really my cup of scald.
Support came from Penelope Isles who are from Brighton, not bad. Well able to kick up a noise but also have a melodic ear too. Debut album out next year.
Most interesting thing for me was that two members of Zofff were involved; the guitarist was on roadie duties while the bass player was manning the keyboard. Got talking after and they have a new album on the way soon, Zofff that is, not Lost Horizons.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

La Luz at The Hope and Ruin Brighton.
Nice chilled out evening listening to surf noir ,dream pop , whatever you want to call it .
The female foursome from LA are just so good at the sound they create.
I'm just a sucker for those harmony vocals , guitars and keyboard.