Football

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Football

Post by spzretent »

So my brother is moving house and he is having me sell off a lot of a rather large collection of sports memorabilia among other things. I just came across a ticket stub which has to be mine from 1976. I actually saw Pele play an exhibition match in Detroit, well Pontiac, when he was a New York Cosmo. It was vs Dallas Tornado who had Kyle Rote Jr who was something of a star here. I remember the game and even back then knowing what a huge deal this was and why there were only like 30,000 people in a stadium that seated 80,000. I still have the program and the heavy card "showcard" I peeled off the wall after the game. I had lost my ticket stub... until now...37 years later.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Re: Football

Post by jack white »

that's a sweet story.
kyle rote jr!
& a good wee snapshot of soccerball's initial invasion into usa..
good you got the stub reunited w/the other memorabilia!

yea i keep most all my ticket stubs too. from concerts & everything. only lose one in bad temper or being too drunk....

most of the sporting ones detail traumatic losses. some precious sweet victories. (my county's football team won 2 championships when i was just a boy - i got to see the 2nd of those, & yea still got the stub! but since then we've been toiling away for 20+ odd years & had a lot more downs than ups.)

mostly i got a lot of fond one's from attending the all-ireland hurley finals as a neutral tho.

it's a native game to here but in terms of intensity it's an amazing, visceral experience as anything i've found. at it's best it's an expression of pure passion, it captures the essence of sport so well - the skill & the determination that are demanded of great champions is usually in evidence from not only the victors but the losers. the conduct & dedication to what is an amateur sport reaps it's own reward in wonderful performances that really elevate the game to an artform..
if you're ever in ireland during the summer/championship season it's something to try & get to.
some yrs aren't as good as others but i think everyone experiences that in whatever their hobby/obsessions are. but when it's at fever pitch i really think it's one of the most magical places i've ever been.. and that's as [something of] a neutral. think it's cause it's such a magnificent sport probably! (it's quite probably the fastest field sport in the world).

but yea those ticket stubs always jog some fun memories & leave me excited for more irrational drama ahead!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Re: Football

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote: mostly i got a lot of fond one's from attending the all-ireland hurley finals as a neutral tho.

it's a native game to here but in terms of intensity it's an amazing, visceral experience as anything i've found. at it's best it's an expression of pure passion, it captures the essence of sport so well - the skill & the determination that are demanded of great champions is usually in evidence from not only the victors but the losers. the conduct & dedication to what is an amateur sport reaps it's own reward in wonderful performances that really elevate the game to an artform..
if you're ever in ireland during the summer/championship season it's something to try & get to.
some yrs aren't as good as others but i think everyone experiences that in whatever their hobby/obsessions are. but when it's at fever pitch i really think it's one of the most magical places i've ever been.. and that's as [something of] a neutral. think it's cause it's such a magnificent sport probably! (it's quite probably the fastest field sport in the world).
Yeah, Hurling. Now that's a tough sport. I would say it's DEFINITELY the fastest field sport in the world. As Jason Statham described it in 'Blitz', "It's a cross between hockey and murder." :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five