Mogwai : CODY - 4xLP Reissue

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Mogwai : CODY - 4xLP Reissue

Post by TheWarmth »

Just got an email from Chemikal Underground:

Mogwai's 1999 opus 'Come On Die Young' - arguably Chemikal's most iconic release - is finally getting the full reissue treatment and will be with you this summer.

Following hot on the heels of the band's amazing new album 'Rave Tapes', 'Come On Die Young' will be reissued as a 4LP boxset featuring the original double album alongside a further 2LP featuring seventeen (count 'em) additional tracks.

The hour and a half of bonus material includes previously unheard Chem19 and CAVA demos, tracks from their uber-rare 'Travel In Constants EP' and an unreleased track from the Chem19 demo sessions called '7-25' .

You'll be able to pre-order the reissue by the end of April, by which time we'll have the official tracklisting and every other piece of drool-worthy detail you could possibly be after.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Mogwai : CODY - 4xLP Reissue

Post by angelsighs »

no CD version? :( am I gonna have to start buying vinyl just to get download codes or something nowadays

great news that the extras seem so plentiful. I know many disagree but Cody may well be my favourite Mogwai album.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:no CD version? :( am I gonna have to start buying vinyl just to get download codes or something nowadays

great news that the extras seem so plentiful. I know many disagree but Cody may well be my favourite Mogwai album.
I bet they'll offer it up as a digital download. Who knows, it might get a cd release, too. We'll have to wait for more details.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've been trying to get my hands on the original vinyl for some time now, in fact I think Cody and the Zidane soundtrack LPs are the only 2 original Mogwai albums I still haven't got on vinyl. I'm sure the cost of this box set won't be too different from the amount that the original vinyl usually goes for on EBay/Discogs (around the £50-£60 mark). I'm now going to have the dilemma of whether to get this or keep trying to get hold of the original (or, knowing me, probably trying to get both :roll: ).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote:no CD version? :( am I gonna have to start buying vinyl just to get download codes or something nowadays

they reissued 'young team' on CD as well when they did the vinyl reissue a few years back.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I guess... things do seem to be moving towards vinyl more these days though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

details:
http://www.chemikal.co.uk/news/come-on- ... june-16th/

still unclear whether you can get a CD version, or the CDs are just included in the vinyl box..
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Man, the Mogwai boxsets are going to bankrupt me. I already shelled out for the Rave Tapes one earlier this year. Still, I want this badly.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

That is another to feed my apparantly insatiable desire for box sets.... :roll:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Has anyone else ordered this? I think this set is a good value, given that it's 4 LPs and not a load of superflous bonus junk, like patches, art prints, etc.

Details:

Come On Die Young (Original 2LP):

SIDE A
Punk Rock:
Cody
Helps Both Ways
Year 2000 Non-Compliant Cardia

SIDE B
Kappa
Waltz For Aidan
May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door

SIDE C
Oh! How The Dogs Stack Up
Ex-Cowboy
Chocky

SIDE D
Christmas Steps
Punk Rock/Puff Daddy/Antichrist

Come On Die Young (Bonus Material 2LP):

SIDE A
Nick Drake
Waltz For Aidan (Chem19 Demo)
Christmas Steps (Chem19 Demo) - exclusive to boxset
Rollerball (Chem19 Demo)
7-25 (Chem19 Demo) - exclusive to boxset

SIDE B
Untitled (Travel In Constants EP)
Quiet Stereo Dee (Travel In Constants EP)
Arundel (Travel In Constants EP)

SIDE C
Cody (Cava Sessions)
Ex Cowboy (Cava Sessions)
Spoon Test (Cava Sessions)
Punk Rock: (Cava Sessions)

SIDE D
Helicon 2 (Cava Church Live)
Satchel Panzer (Cava Sessions)
Kappa (Cava Church Live)
Helps Both Ways (Original Version)
Hugh Dallas

Arriving in March 1999 with an album cover that referenced The Exorcist and a title scalped from a well-known Glasgow gang slogan, you’d have expected Mogwai’s ‘Come On Die Young’ to be an apocalypse-harbouring, pre-millennial assault on the senses. Instead, we were treated to a darkly elegiac – surprisingly restrained – response to the aural fireworks of their ‘Young Team’ debut from two years earlier.

Recorded and mixed at Dave Fridmann’s Tarbox Road Studios in Upstate New York, ‘Come On Die Young’ begins with a sample of Iggy Pop eulogising the genius of punk rock and ends with a track entitled ‘Punk Rock/Puff Daddy/Antichrist’. This thoughtful and irreverent diptych enclosed an hour of music that was as beautiful as it was blistering and as poignant as it was unpredictable: preconceptions of what to expect from a Mogwai album, disassembled at a stroke.

‘Come On Die Young’ was – and remains – a hugely accomplished, elegant and important album, setting a benchmark for the fierce intelligence that would characterise Mogwai’s future body of work. The reissue of ‘Come On Die Young’ – fifteen years after it originally hit the shelves – recognises the vital role this album played in Chemikal Underground’s development as the label approaches its 20th anniversary in 2015. This deluxe edition of ‘Come On Die Young’ has been painstakingly put together by the band and label, unearthing more than an hour of bonus material including:

•Previously unreleased takes from early Chem19 sessions of ‘Waltz For Aidan’, ‘Christmas Steps’, ‘Rollerball’ as well as ‘7-25’ (which ultimately featured on ‘Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait’).
•Seven remixed and remastered album tracks from CAVA sessions pre-dating the final Tarbox recording sessions.
•Two previously unreleased tracks ‘Satchel Panzer’ and ‘Spoon Test’.
•Rarities ‘Nick Drake’, ‘Hugh Dallas’ and the 3 track ‘Travels In Constants EP’.
•The original, previously unreleased version of ‘Helps Both Ways’.
•A1 ‘San Siro’ poster for Mogwai’s Barrowland Ballroom show from October ’99.
•Boxset includes 4 x 180gsm LPs featuring the original 2LP and 2LP of bonus material.
•Two Chem19 Demos are exclusive to the boxset: ‘Christmas Steps’ and ‘7-25’.
•Boxset includes a download code for all audio within the boxset.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Fri May 02, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Unsurprisingly, I have paid for the vinyl box set. Really looking forward to this as my copy of CODY is absolutely knackered from being played so many times....
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

damn, it's expensive. Ordered it anyway. CODY is too good to just own on cd.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Has anybody received their box set yet? In their group email to all pre-order holders on 6th June, Chemikal Underground said:
.....We expect to deliver all the pre-ordered boxsets (ie yours) at the same time we'll be shipping the retail stock into warehouses etc. and predict that'll be on or around July 10th at the latest.

The official release date is still showing as 21st July for the CD, but the CU page is now showing 4th August as the release date for the box...... :cry:

As I'll be away for a whole slab of time in August, I'm really worried my box set will be returned to CU. I've emailed CU, but have not heard back from them yet. Does anybody know what is happening?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

olan wrote:Has anybody received their box set yet? In their group email to all pre-order holders on 6th June, Chemikal Underground said:
.....We expect to deliver all the pre-ordered boxsets (ie yours) at the same time we'll be shipping the retail stock into warehouses etc. and predict that'll be on or around July 10th at the latest.

The official release date is still showing as 21st July for the CD, but the CU page is now showing 4th August as the release date for the box...... :cry:

As I'll be away for a whole slab of time in August, I'm really worried my box set will be returned to CU. I've emailed CU, but have not heard back from them yet. Does anybody know what is happening?
I was wondering the exact same thing. Hope you get an answer from CU.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My local store whom I've ordered with this updated their website with a release date of August 4th for the box set. Bit gutted, but at least any cash/record vouchers that I anticipate getting for my birthday next week will be put to good use :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I just received an email from Chemikal Underground. They received the boxsets yesterday and are shipping them out today and tomorrow. I am told mine should arrive by Thursday, but no later than Friday.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

.....And here we are on Sunday with no sign of the LP. I'm away for the next three weeks, so if it doesn't arrive tomorrow morning before I leave for work, this could get messy..... :(

Anybody get theirs yet?
lazy ben
Known user

Post by lazy ben »

Why don't you just put your mail on hold?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

lazy ben wrote:Why don't you just put your mail on hold?
Because that would involve being organised, but in any case would not impact on anything being delivered by non-Royal Mail services. Also, I contacted Chemikal Underground who said last Friday would be the latest possible delivery date and I stupidly listened to/believed them.....

Anyway, people on the Mogwai forum received the Box last week, so I can only hope it arrives early tomorrow.... :?
lazy ben
Known user

Post by lazy ben »

Fair enough. I'm on the west coast of the states so mine will probably arrive after you're back from your trip anyway :)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

friend of mine in Portland, Oregon got his.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Got mine today!
Just in time to give me some comfort, since our house got flooded yesterday 'cause of heavy rainfall here in Holland. :cry:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thoughts on the box so far?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Gave it a spin last night. On first listen it sounds good. LP are quiet and flat. Haven't been able to really crank up the volume since ms Beaker isn't to keen on mogwai, but even at low volume it sounds more spacious and detailled compared to the original cd.
The packaging is lovely, with some nice liner notes by stuart. Only nit pick is that the inner jackets are so tight that I hardly got the records out of 'm.
Also, the bonus records seem to pressed at a different plant than the orginal album. Maybe that was the issue they had, why the release was pushed back?
all in all a lovely box and i'm glad to own this brilliant album on vinyl now :D
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

Agree vinyl is nice though haven't had a moment to fully crank it yet. Definitely appreciate the DVD data disc with mp3, lose less m4p, and .wave files of all of the tracks. Got to play Christmas steps and they definitely preserved the dynamic range on that one.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Yep, that data disc is nice. Shame though that the original album is included in 16-44.1 wav while the appendix tracks are in hirez 24-48. Why not the whole thing in hirez then?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

got the CD version of this and very much enjoying it. haven't listened to the first disc yet (in fact, I didn't even know it was remastered?). the appendix disc is great- lots more stuff than the Young Team extra disc which was a bit sparse. they were on a roll in this era I think. CODY has a nice skeletal, minimal sound which some people love and some hate. the stuff here slots into that sound perfectly. the demo of Ex-Cowboy is definitely a highlight for me. and there's some great stuff they recorded in a church with some ambient mics.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Only had a chance to spin the first side of the remastered double vinyl so far but, man, is this box set a thing of beauty or what? 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I was away when this was finally released. There was a bit of a palaver about the possibility of it being returned to sender, but a friend managed to collect it for us (without ID or signing for it - good old Royal Mail :D ). I've listened though it once and am very impressed. The quality of the pressing and packaging is superb. The disc of hi-res material is a nice thing to have too, but the vinyl will be my go to source.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Young Team and CODY new remastered vinyl editions: https://mogwai.scot/collections/music?m ... 287b9699db
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:14 am Young Team and CODY new remastered vinyl editions: https://mogwai.scot/collections/music?m ... 287b9699db
Yeah I was hoping for a 4 x LP Young Team box set reissue but no sign of that :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

These albums don't need a remaster surely? Young Team did initially but they already fixed it and gave it more oomph.
I wonder if they will continue opening the vaults and move onto Rock Action. The outtakes on previous sets for these albums were great (particularly Cody)