Carlton Melton: Out to Sea

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

olan
Known user

Carlton Melton: Out to Sea

Post by olan »

The last few weeks have seen the release of three albums I regard as outstanding, the LPs by Sula Bassana and Zone Six on Great Pop Supplement are phenomenal (Zone Six being a marginal favourite here) and now Carlton Melton's new one.I've just finished listening to this for the first time. It is really, really excellent. :D :D Ordinarily I wait for the vinyl, but as I am going to be parted from my turntable until late August :cry: , I bought the FLAC download to keep me going.

I didn't really enjoy the recent live LP with Dr Space from Roadburn in 2014 and so was a bit worried about Out to Sea. I've never had a negative reaction to a CM record before. I put the blame for the live LP squarely at the feet of Dr Space :evil: as the records of his that I own are poor. As I said previously, never buy a record if the artist in question appears in a photo on the cover wearing what looks like a Wizard's hat :roll: . Anyway, enough digression from the point: The new LP from Carlton Melton is a belter. Some of the drones are just superb!. It is well worth buying yourself a copy.....

The Heads, Kandodo and CM at the Psyche Fest should be a treat. Spiritualized will be a bonus too!
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Carlton Melton: Out to Sea

Post by angelsighs »

yeah can't wait for their set at Liverpool. always deliver live.

I like them on record too, but if I was being harsh- all their records are kinda in the same vein?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

An email from Piccadilly Records makes me think my copy will be here tomorrow or Saturday, looking forward to it :)

Looking forward to seeing them at Liverpool :)

I`m liking the Live album with Dr Space :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

olan wrote:...As I said previously, never buy a record if the artist in question appears in a photo on the cover wearing what looks like a Wizard's hat :roll: .
The records all sound interesting Olan. None of which are familiar so will check them out... Eventually!

Big laughter for the "Wizard's hat" comment, I thoroughly agree!!

(A notable exception being Their Satanic Majesties Request...)
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just opened up my Carlton Melton parcel, man the sleeve artwork is something else, gorgeous, any picture online doesn`t do it justice, will listen to it later with a few beers, 8)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Quite incredible, they have absolutely nailed it on this record. Album of the year, at least until the Low one is out anyway...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Actually, I'm going to apologise for not bigging up 'Out to Sea' enough in my original post. It is just feckin' incredible.

Baz, the Zone Six album is a dead set stunner. I know one or two round here (Dave and Adam for instance) rate it equally highly. There were only 300 pressed to vinyl by GPS so get yer skates on
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

olan wrote:Actually, I'm going to apologise for not bigging up 'Out to Sea' enough in my original post. It is just feckin' incredible.

Baz, the Zone Six album is a dead set stunner. I know one or two round here (Dave and Adam for instance) rate it equally highly.
Eh hem.......

Cant forget Sula Bassana double LP either. I still have a few of each. No one here "gets" it. Shame really..
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

As a late comer to Electric Moon and their offshoot projects (Zone Six, Sula Bassana, etc.) I'm just in the process of collecting some of their back catalogue on vinyl. Managed to pick up the Zone Six "Love Monster" LP at time of release on Deep Distance and couldn't agree with Olan more....it is a beast of a record. Grabbed the Sula Bassana Deep Distance release just this week via a trade with one of my Kill West EP's on Discogs :D Have ordered the latest Electric Moon LP "Theory Of Mind" directly from Lulu from the band, again off Discogs. Now trying to find more of the catalogue. If anyone knows where I can grab a copy of their "Innside Outside" LP on The Great Pop Supplement (Dave, Olan....any ideas?) then give us a shout.

As for the new Carlton Melton LP, I've had the download of it for some time and, I agree, it maybe their most complete album yet. Have put the vinyl down on my birthday wish list with Resident Records in Brighton (along with a few others :wink: ) so that my family actually buy me stuff I actually want for my birthday 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

For those who wish to 'try before they buy' you will find plenty of Electric Moon here: http://tripjam.blogspot.ie/2011/01/elec ... atics.html Also Zone Six and Sula Bassana available.

I shall be listening to a download of the Carlton Melton album and Zone Six's 'Love Monster' over the weekend, looking forward to both.
Hope to pick up a vinyl copy of Carlton Melton's album at LPF.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I heard a blast of Zone Six at chez Olan and it was indeed some thrilling and fantastic guitar drone.

I must check out this new Carlton Melton after all the praise here. I will always catch them live when I can, but I must admit, I kinda drifted away from their records. they seem a bit much of a muchness. can anyone elaborate on why this new one is so good?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well, I loved the last LP, but this one is much more focussed. The songs are slightly more traditional in length which also helps, though I've never been one to shy away from lengthy jams I appreciate it can make albums harder to take to right away unless absolutely incredible.

I think the production and synth contributions from Phil Manley has taken them to the next level.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just downloaded this today as i cannot wait any longer... loving what i'm hearing so far!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

is this also their first album recorded in a proper studio rather than the geodesic dome?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah angelsighs, apparently so. I've always thought i'd cloth ears but it does sound different to previous releases.

Between this and the new Hills LP, i think i have my albums of the year covered already...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:Yeah angelsighs, apparently so. I've always thought i'd cloth ears but it does sound different to previous releases.

Between this and the new Hills LP, i think i have my albums of the year covered already...
I'm probably going to agree with you but include the Zone Six LP as a top three thus far. It remains to be seen what Jason produces (and when)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New Carlton Melton tune from upcoming 'Where This Leads' album. Very tasty :D

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

very nice new tune. nothing new for them (think they might have even used that chord sequence before? ?:) ) but reliably great.

with a lot of psych bands, just one or two of their albums can be enough (particularly if their sound is much of a muchness) but for some reason I always find Carlton Melton compelling and it's always a must buy.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:44 pm with a lot of psych bands, just one or two of their albums can be enough (particularly if their sound is much of a muchness) but for some reason I always find Carlton Melton compelling and it's always a must buy.
Totally agree with this (though the completist in me still tries to always buy an artists entire catalogue!). Carlton Melton were the band that really got me into modern psych and I can't wait for this one. The band (along with White Manna) were meant to be touring in the UK at the moment but COVID put paid to that. Hopefully next year.

By the way, they've made a couple of other tracks from the new album available on their Bandcamp page :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:47 pm Totally agree with this (though the completist in me still tries to always buy an artists entire catalogue!). Carlton Melton were the band that really got me into modern psych and I can't wait for this one. The band (along with White Manna) were meant to be touring in the UK at the moment but COVID put paid to that. Hopefully next year.
Carlton Melton and White Manna touring.. as in touring together? that's a dream lineup for me, two of my fave psych bands.

had a cheeky listen to some of the new CM today.. they've definitely still got it. sounding brilliant as ever.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Got the two colour version of this latest album, pretty disappointed with the pressing tbh, side 1, a side long ambient piece is basically unlistenable due to surface noise and unrelenting snap, crackle, and popping, the last two times I attempted to play it I had to give up and put it off, too annoying, shame as its a good slice of drifting, ambient psyche
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah Gary, its a real great album. Gutted about the reports of the pressing issues. Luckily i bought my brother a CD copy for his Xmas and then found he already bought it so i have that for now.

Andy/Agitated are aware of the issues so hopefully this can be rectified, as there seems to be quite a number of the coloured ones affected. I've not had a chance to go back and relisten to my copy but plan to check mine. Hate the idea of not being able to enjoy an LP properly due to noise, especially with a band like CM.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Due to buying far more music than i have time to listen to, I have yet to hear this album, I too have the coloured pressing so this is a worry, especially as previous albums have come with a cd or d/l and this came with neither
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Live in Point Arena cdr getting the vinyl treatment with bonus tracks: https://laybarerecordings.com/release/l ... ton-lbr036
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:29 pm Live in Point Arena cdr getting the vinyl treatment with bonus tracks: https://laybarerecordings.com/release/l ... ton-lbr036
nice, the original is going for silly money.
for those who've heard this, what is the sound actually like? the blurb says it was recorded with a "M-Audio handheld recorder duct taped to the wall/ceiling of the North side of the Dome".
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:34 am
sunray wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:29 pm Live in Point Arena cdr getting the vinyl treatment with bonus tracks: https://laybarerecordings.com/release/l ... ton-lbr036
for those who've heard this, what is the sound actually like? the blurb says it was recorded with a "M-Audio handheld recorder duct taped to the wall/ceiling of the North side of the Dome".
I have an original copy of the CDR. The sound is very, very good to my ears. It is obviously a primitive recording, but then so are a lot of the early CM albums. The sound is very powerful. Some of the keyboard drones are verging on being thunderous. I quite like the voices that crop up from time to time which give it the atmosphere of a gig, which I suppose is what it was. I’m very much looking forward to getting this on vinyl.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 am
I have an original copy of the CDR. The sound is very, very good to my ears. It is obviously a primitive recording, but then so are a lot of the early CM albums. The sound is very powerful. Some of the keyboard drones are verging on being thunderous. I quite like the voices that crop up from time to time which give it the atmosphere of a gig, which I suppose is what it was. I’m very much looking forward to getting this on vinyl.
I only have it on mp3 but it sounded fine iirc. In saying that i've often wondered is there any advantage to releasing original CDR recordings on vinyl? Or is it just something nice to have?
As an aside, they should've named it The North Side of the Dome.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:51 pm
I only have it on mp3 but it sounded fine iirc. In saying that i've often wondered is there any advantage to releasing original CDR recordings on vinyl? Or is it just something nice to have?
As an aside, they should've named it The North Side of the Dome.
The original recording will be a WAV file as the CDr is lossless. I used a similar recording device (M-Audio Microtrak) for recording gigs for years. You can get really phenomenal results with good microphones and the built in mics aren't too shoddy either.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks. Yes i agree Carlton Melton stuff doesn't need to be super pristine. I actually like it when you can hear the sound bleeding and stuff
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 pm The original recording will be a WAV file as the CDr is lossless. I used a similar recording device (M-Audio Microtrak) for recording gigs for years. You can get really phenomenal results with good microphones and the built in mics aren't too shoddy either.
That was kind of my point. So often CDR's were live sessions recorded as WAV's to one mic that i don't really see what sound improvement can be made by pressing them to vinyl. I don't recall any of The Heads material originally released on CDR sounding any better on vinyl. Which leads me to think it's all just something for the collectors and vinyl fetishists. Then again my ears and turntable are not the best so who knows?
I ordered the Carlton Melton album btw :lol:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:07 pm
olan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 pm The original recording will be a WAV file as the CDr is lossless. I used a similar recording device (M-Audio Microtrak) for recording gigs for years. You can get really phenomenal results with good microphones and the built in mics aren't too shoddy either.
That was kind of my point. So often CDR's were live sessions recorded as WAV's to one mic that i don't really see what sound improvement can be made by pressing them to vinyl. I don't recall any of The Heads material originally released on CDR sounding any better on vinyl. Which leads me to think it's all just something for the collectors and vinyl fetishists. Then again my ears and turntable are not the best so who knows?
I ordered the Carlton Melton album btw :lol:
The Heads recorded their rehearsals onto MiniDisc which is lossy. I used a MiniDisc recorder before I moved over to the Microtrak. It was worse than my Sony D6 Walkman pro for recording. In many ways I should never have given up on tapes for recording gigs until the Microtrak came out.

There are extra tracks on the vinyl to ease your conscience :D
Last edited by olan on Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

More 'new' Carlton Melton: https://meltoncarlton.bandcamp.com/albu ... avelengths.

According to Andy, these are the last of the Dome recordings and date from 2017.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:05 pm More 'new' Carlton Melton: https://meltoncarlton.bandcamp.com/albu ... avelengths.

According to Andy, these are the last of the Dome recordings and date from 2017.
There are discussions on UK distro. Shipping from US just too much for me.

Carlton Melton can do no wrong to my ears.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

******BARGAIN ALERT*******

RSD 2022 Version of Out To Sea (Sailed On Edition) 2LP available for £14.99 at Piccadilly Records https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/count ... -164188412

Plus the 2LP coloured vinyl version of Where This Leads for £12.99 https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/count ... pid=135716
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:29 pm ******BARGAIN ALERT*******

RSD 2022 Version of Out To Sea (Sailed On Edition) 2LP available for £14.99 at Piccadilly Records https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/count ... -164188412

Plus the 2LP coloured vinyl version of Where This Leads for £12.99 https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/count ... pid=135716
Had my copy of Where This Leads on the other week, terrible pressing, side one, a side long almost ambient piece is unlistenable, couldn’t make to the end had to put it off, covers feels pretty cheap as well compared to effort put into previous releases, not sure it’s worth £12,99 tbh
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

New Melton!!!!!

XMAS IS SAVED!!!!!

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thanks Laz! Didn't know there was new stuff so immediately did a search for more info. They're now a four piece with a White Manna dude added to the ranks. Album coming in February. There appears to be a poster with the black vinyl but not the coloured.

Pre-order here: https://meltoncarlton.bandcamp.com/albu ... e-ensemble
Rokkenwithdokken
Known user

Post by Rokkenwithdokken »

This track sounds brilliant, really looking forward to hearing the whole album now!

Cheers
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Bloody Hell! Another Carlton Melton album on the way: https://meltoncarlton.bandcamp.com/album/turn-to-earth
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ordered it earlier, two new tracks sound great, and a Glasgow gig in Oct with Cosmic Dead and Nebula, should be a pretty heavy night that one
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

yes those two tracks are fantastic. and the blurb is very encouraging too, I have a great feeling about this album.
It's true that generally Carlton Melton tracks have fallen into 2 camps really so if they mix it up a bit while still playing to their strengths will be great.