Kelvingrove Bandstand, Glasgow 23rd May

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible, MODLAB

olan
Known user

Kelvingrove Bandstand, Glasgow 23rd May

Post by olan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Hopefully more dates will be announced. I'm unconvinced about my ability to survive the inevitable rain storm that will coincide with the gig.

angelsighs
Known user

Re: Kelvingrove Bandstand, Glasgow 23rd May

Post by angelsighs » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm

yeah too risky rain wise.. at least i'd be able to sit down though! :)

yep, hopefully this heralds the announcement of a proper tour. this isn't a festival is it?

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:36 pm

angelsighs wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm
yeah too risky rain wise.. at least i'd be able to sit down though! :)

yep, hopefully this heralds the announcement of a proper tour. this isn't a festival is it?
There is nothing listed between 16th April and 23rd May and also between 24th May and 16th August. If the late May - August gap is for earning a few quid playing European Festivals then either we'll see them in late April early May on tour in the UK or it will be after the summer. I really want some noisy band-only gigs in standing venues at this stage. The gigs in theaters with choir and orchestra are great, but I need a dose of the noise now.

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Seems a strange venue to play on a standard UK tour. Can't imagine there are no other venues available in Glasgow, which makes me think that this may involve a choir and maybe some orchestration too. Bandstand has a reputation as being a good venue with a good sound, even though its outdoors.

Easy enough to get to from city centre though, so not too out the way. This is also in the "hipster" west end area of Glasgow which means £8 pints :wink: and generally a more expensive nights out!

There is a summer festival in Aug that has many big names playing the Bandstand (this years lineup has just been announced and its fairly decent yet again) so i don't think this is part of a festival as such, but they do have a number of decent shows here throughout the year. maybe the promoters just got lucky with Spiritualized!

And yeah, there is always the risk of rain coming down since its Scotland... :lol: :lol: :lol:

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Pretty pleased about this one, day before my birthday so should make for a great start to a great weekend - Scottish Cup Final on the 25th - and while Scotland maybe famous for rain I can safely say the weather late May, early June and my birthday has usually always been sunny, so has the making of a fantastic night :D As for the venue it will be a new experience for me but it looks interesting, sure I read the other day when they announce the line up for gigs later in the summer that the capacity was 2,500, on recent showings that's a bit optimistic for Spiritualized, last twice in Glasgow was at the now smouldering pile of ashes that was once the ABC, cap. 800-900,

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:42 pm

that poster is pretty nice too, isn't it?

I hope Olan is right and there are other UK dates in Apr/May. can't wait till after the festival season :?
either rock noise or the full ensemble is fine by me. I really wish i'd seen an earlier show now :/ I imagine not all of the And Nothing Hurt songs would really work without the full strings, horns etc?

Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 am

olan wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm
I'm unconvinced about my ability to survive the inevitable rain storm that will coincide with the gig.
Lord, let it rain on me
Let it all come down

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 am

50 fucking quid???

Dirty, robbing, promoter bastards! Think because you've got a "fancy" venue in the fucking hipster West End you can charge what you want?

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself!

Cunts

Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:08 am

You'd hope this was the full orchestra/choir deal I guess...either that or free beer :D

flokie
Known user

Post by flokie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 am

More like a fiver a pint IIRC from the summer shows. Absolutely fuming at the ticket prices too.
Still, I'll probably pick my ticket up from tickets scotland in the hopes fees are that wee bit lower than with ticketmaster thieves. The write-up on their website is hilarious btw:
https://tickets-scotland.com/events.htm ... 000b754a1f

Olan: May's supposed to be our driest month. Still wetter than most places I'm sure - but arguably a less risky time than the summer gigs they do there.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:38 am

i'd expect more of a mini festival for that price! but it seems to be the way things are going these days.

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Bit surprised by the price myself but a mate who goes to a lot more gigs than me had warned me not to expect much change from £50 for this one. Seems to be the going rate for bands at this venue. I don`t think you can put this all on the promoter though, sure J. would have his input and say as well. Its seven years since they were last up here, so god knows when they'll be back so I`ll be there.

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Ah man, I'm so torn on this. It's Spiritualized - in Scotland! - at last.

Last time they played up here my oldest child was still in his mothers belly. Tickets for that one cost a ridiculous £17.50...

Anyone know if the seemingly small bandstand can accomodate a choir and orchestra as well as the band? If they do the kind of shows they've done recently I'll be gutted to miss this.
O P 8

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Aw man - unreserved seating?

Messaging some pals back and forth about this - if only they would play 2 nights in the Barrowlands?
O P 8

flokie
Known user

Post by flokie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Almost seriously considered a pal's offer to take a picnic blanket and some wine and sit in the park outside the arena :lol:
But I know I'll end up getting my ticket for this anyway. She's done it before, so I'll keep it in mind for some of the summer gigs instead!

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 am

£55 in Top Cash Back converted into a Ticketmaster voucher then converted into a Spiritualized ticket, sorted :D