Walking with Jesus/In My Time of Dying

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

mh
Known user

Walking with Jesus/In My Time of Dying

Post by mh »

We all know that Come Down Easy is a Spacemen take on In My Time Of Dying, but I recently had occasion to glance at the lyrics (Bob Dylan's version), and spotted this:
Well, meet me, Jesus, meet me
Meet me in the middle of the air
If these wings should fail me, Lord
Won't you meet me with another pair?
That's Walking with Jesus, that is; more specifically it's the final few lines of the TPP and other versions, which are more commonly transcribed as beginning with "Jesus please meet me at the centre of the earth..."

Seems that "earth" is actually in error and it really should be "air" all along?
Ian
Known user

Re: Walking with Jesus/In My Time of Dying

Post by Ian »

I think Jason does sing "Earth". After all, "the centre of the Earth" is a phrase that makes sense, you wouldn't talk about the centre of the air. It also means that there is a near rhyme in Earth/worse. I'm sure you're right about this being the source for that lyric, but it seems to have been adapted from the original.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

There are also these hand written lyrics, which I am pretty sure are Jason's own copy. They're of the version from the 1984 demo (the "Fucked Up Children" one), where Jason does sing "Talking" rather than "Walking", but this is the only time it was sung like that so the correction also makes sense.

I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

mh wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:32 am We all know that Come Down Easy is a Spacemen take on In My Time Of Dying, but I recently had occasion to glance at the lyrics (Bob Dylan's version), and spotted this:
Well, meet me, Jesus, meet me
Meet me in the middle of the air
If these wings should fail me, Lord
Won't you meet me with another pair?
That's Walking with Jesus, that is; more specifically it's the final few lines of the TPP and other versions, which are more commonly transcribed as beginning with "Jesus please meet me at the centre of the earth..."

Seems that "earth" is actually in error and it really should be "air" all along?
Good catch. Jason clearly does sing "earth" though. ("Air" doesn't rhyme with "worse.") It's a good line: the center of the earth is the traditional location for Hell. ("Gonna burn for your sins...Think I'll be in good company down here with all my friends...")

Jason does stick closer to the Dylan version in "Come Down Easy": "meet me, children, meet me / Meet me at the top of the sky"...