The Loud & Lousy Story of Gaye Bykers On Acid and Crazyhead

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

veiko
Known user

The Loud & Lousy Story of Gaye Bykers On Acid and Crazyhead

Post by veiko »

https://headpress.com/product/grebo/

Based on interviews with band members, friends, fans, and roadies, this book is an uncompromising history of an overlooked music scene. Rich Deakin charts its course via the changing fortunes of the Bykers and Crazyhead, taking us on the booze-filled tour buses, behind the dodgy deals and onto the international stage and back again (with a pitstop for a rock movie that swallows lots of money). Their careers were short, but the two bands managed to shake up the UK indie scene and along the way became Britain’s unlikely ambassadors of rock following the collapse of Soviet Russia.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Re: The Loud & Lousy Story of Gaye Bykers On Acid and Crazyhead

Post by Jasonsmith »

GBOA were first on the bill the day at the Reading Festival when Spacemen 3 played their last gig :D
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Final gig of the Perfect Prescription lineup...
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That ULU show with Spacemen 3 supporting the Gaye Bykers was my first sp3 show. It completely blew my mind, but I have to say the Bykers were part of that.

GBOA were - at least when I saw them - an incredible live band. So much energy, with Mary Byker as a superbly chaotic frontman. Massively underrated, the first few records were genuine psychedelic punk. Tony's scrambled egg wah-wah still sounds great. I saw them a bunch of times, including when they supported Motorhead and were booed throughout by the metalheads, yet they didn't give 2 shits and ploughed on with just a few Byker-heads like myself cheering them on.

I went to a reunion in York a few years ago which was pretty wild. Mrs Runcible hated it almost as much as I loved it. It was really intense, pretty heavy and you got a glimpse of how they were in yesteryear.

Always a place in my heart for the Bykers!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I saw the Bykers twice back in the day. Once on the Drill your own hole tour in Blackburn (87, I think?), and then in Leeds on the Cancer Planet Mission tour (90/91 - can't remember exactly!). Enjoyed them both times, even though I had a heavy cold at Leeds gig. I still think Cancer Planet Mission is their best record, and really enjoy the Rektum album they did - I would have loved to see them as Rektum. Did they ever do a gig under that moniker?

Ste
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I've seen Mary Byker perform several times with Pigface back in the 90s and as recently as two years ago in Detroitand Chicago. Once shared a spliff with him at St. Andrews Hall in Detroit. Good stuff!
I think I feel it coming on