The Boo Radleys Reform

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

The Boo Radleys Reform

Post by sunray »

Noticed this at the weekend. The Boos are back with a new single "A Full Syringe and Memories of You", with an E.P. and tour to follow in Sept./Oct.
Interesting topic for a single that's for sure.
https://www.thebooradleys.com/

No Martin Carr this time around though.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Ian
Known user

Re: The Boo Radleys Reform

Post by Ian »

As I am sure I have mentioned here many times, my wife and I used to run the Boo Radleys fanclub, and spent many happy times with them in the 90s. I unreservedly love all of those guys, and am glad that the three who are making music together again are having a good time. The new stuff sounds fine, and I hope they have some success. I can understand why they have chosen to call themselves The Boo Radleys, they are bound to get more attention that way, but I have to say I would rather they had come up with a new name. Whether Martin is fine with this or not (and the various interviews they and he have done don't really help to make this clear), I can't say that it feels like the same band to me.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'm really torn about this "reunion".

The Boos are one of my favourite bands (not least their Everythings Alright Forever album is my all time fav album) and regularly get a lot of play here, even the later albums. News of them getting back to gether, while initially great news, was shadowed by Martin not being involved. I have no doubts the rest of the band were good enough to go ahead, but just wasn't sure if it would be how i remember them. Martin brought a lot to the band, and not just in terms of being the primary song writer.

Upon hearing the new song, i was surprised that it was actually "okay". I really didn't have much expectations, but didn't think it was terrible, but i just wish they had took it further. It was badly missing a good, thick guitar finale. IMO it need that extra layer of guitars and imagination. If they had thrashed the guitars out for a few mins at the end (like the did in the past), i reckon it could have be a great song.

Tour news follows and they are only playing Edinburgh on a school night. Edinburgh gigs are a pain in the arse for me, even more so during the week, so i'm afraid i'll have to pass this time round. Woud have went along if it was a Glasgow show, but would have still been apprehensive about what it would have been like.

Hats off to them. They were a brilliant bunch of musicians having a blast back in the 90s, so best of luck to them. I'll still keep them on my radar and catch them if the come to Glasgow. I REALLY hope they do themselves justice!

Boo Forever!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New album coming plus a Giant Steps tour in June followed by a remaster in September: https://www.thebooradleys.com/

Tue 13 June – Reading, South Street Arts Centre
Wed 14 June - London, The Garage
Thu 15 June - Tunbridge Wells, The Forum
Fri 16 June – Birkenhead, Future Yard
Thu 22 June – Dublin, The Grand Social
Fri 23 June – Belfast, The Limelight
Sun 25 June – Glasgow, Hug and Pint

Giant Steps without Martin Carr...hmmm. Curiosity dictates i'll pick up a Dublin ticket regardless.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:41 pm New album coming plus a Giant Steps tour in June followed by a remaster in September: https://www.thebooradleys.com/

Tue 13 June – Reading, South Street Arts Centre
Wed 14 June - London, The Garage
Thu 15 June - Tunbridge Wells, The Forum
Fri 16 June – Birkenhead, Future Yard
Thu 22 June – Dublin, The Grand Social
Fri 23 June – Belfast, The Limelight
Sun 25 June – Glasgow, Hug and Pint

Giant Steps without Martin Carr...hmmm. Curiosity dictates i'll pick up a Dublin ticket regardless.
Never caught them on the previous tour. New songs didn't set the world on fire for me (could just be me getting old!) and i was very hesitant about what to expect from it all. Friends said they were really good on that tour, so i'll head along, more so since its a GS run through. Very happy to hear of a reissue of that tho... definitely need to fill that gap.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I saw them at Middlewich folk and boat in the summer playing before Cast (who actually were quite good.
Sold pretty poorly so they were letting people in very little hence i made the 7 mile pilgramage (actually wanted to watch Gerard Starkie and Ray Chan formerly of Witness, they were great
Boo Radleys were alright, just passed me by really, new stuff was dull, selection of old cuts was OK. I have all their stuff but like many, missing Giant Steps on vinyl. Tempted to go to Birkenhead, perhaps