Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Edinburgh 20th Sept 2021

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Edinburgh 20th Sept 2021

Post by BzaInSpace »

So just over a week ago I had the absolute pleasure of seeing them live in the Edinburgh Playhouse. What a gig!

First live music in 19 months - it surely felt a lot longer that that.

It was beautiful, intense, very emotional and pretty much amazing. I’m glad that Nick and Warren were able to have a lot of banter with the crowd to balance out the full on material. Mostly works from Ghosteen and Carnage with a few older classics. I was glad to hear the newer music though so I could just sit and meditate on it all. Spine chilling. Nick never let up.

I had their version of ‘Cosmic Dancer’ (and the original) stuck in my head for days after… there are worse afflictions.

The only show I’ve seen before with that kind of emotional resonance in the crowd was also in Edinburgh, in 2006, with the acoustic mainlines show.

The whole 48 hours of course being in a different city - especially one as pretty as Edinburgh made the whole damn thing more of an experience anyway. Plus on it with lovely company and finally calling it quits at my local railway station pub at 11pm (we arrived at 5pm “for just one more”) just was the best.

If you can, go and see them. I can’t believe Nick is just a few years younger than my father.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Edinburgh 20th Sept 2021

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:08 pm So just over a week ago I had the absolute pleasure of seeing them live in the Edinburgh Playhouse. What a gig!

First live music in 19 months - it surely felt a lot longer that that.

It was beautiful, intense, very emotional and pretty much amazing. I’m glad that Nick and Warren were able to have a lot of banter with the crowd to balance out the full on material. Mostly works from Ghosteen and Carnage with a few older classics. I was glad to hear the newer music though so I could just sit and meditate on it all. Spine chilling. Nick never let up.

I had their version of ‘Cosmic Dancer’ (and the original) stuck in my head for days after… there are worse afflictions.

The only show I’ve seen before with that kind of emotional resonance in the crowd was also in Edinburgh, in 2006, with the acoustic mainlines show.

The whole 48 hours of course being in a different city - especially one as pretty as Edinburgh made the whole damn thing more of an experience anyway. Plus on it with lovely company and finally calling it quits at my local railway station pub at 11pm (we arrived at 5pm “for just one more”) just was the best.

If you can, go and see them. I can’t believe Nick is just a few years younger than my father.
Saw them in Nottingham a couple of weeks ago, and your comments pretty much perfectly sum up my experience. Now trying to justify the cost of seeing them again on Friday in Leicester...
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Hoping for a rescheduled US tour. Had tickets for the Detroit show that was Covid cancelled ☹. Sounds like an amazing gig! Did they happen to play Jubilee Street?
I think I feel it coming on
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

No. Somebody shouted for it. Nick appeared to think about it for a second and went “no, I can’t tonight”.

He played ‘Palaces of Montezuma’ a few shows before the Edinburgh gig, I was hoping he would play that too.

https://youtu.be/s30jjsgv2t8
O P 8