New MC5 Music

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

New MC5 Music

Post by toomilk »

...yes, that's correct.

https://pitchfork.com/news/mc5-announce ... d-us-tour/

The teaser for the first single is really bad. Sounds like it would be the backing song for a monster truck rally - "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!" (I think only Americans would get this reference).

Should just be released as Wayne Kramer and not the MC5.
angel-sighs
Known user

Re: New MC5 Music

Post by angel-sighs »

Oh dear..MC5? More like WTF!

You're right it sounds like generic hard rock.
No one seems to realise the most interesting element of the band was mixing it up with free jazz and where it got all chaotic and frayed at the edges.
Dennis is only on a couple of tracks. How can you call this MC5? At least when they toured before there was 3 out of the 5 and even then they billed it as DKT/MC5.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

A few years ago I asked Wayne Kramer to pick 5 acts for a fantasy festival line-up. One of the acts he picked was Skrillax...
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Its just weird. Its not like i'm even too much of a purist about band lineups (e.g. Stones are touring again, without Charlie, thats their prerogative) but i just dont know the thought process that lead him to call it MC5 rather than a solo release 🤔
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

angel-sighs wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:21 pm Oh dear..MC5? More like WTF!

You're right it sounds like generic hard rock.
No one seems to realise the most interesting element of the band was mixing it up with free jazz and where it got all chaotic and frayed at the edges.
Dennis is only on a couple of tracks. How can you call this MC5? At least when they toured before there was 3 out of the 5 and even then they billed it as DKT/MC5.
I love everything MC5 did in their original incarnation, including Back in the USA when they were playing in more of a traditional rock & roll style, albeit with slightly subversive lyrics. But this new stuff is lame as hell.

I don't see how it's MC5 without Rob Tyner or Sonic Smith (who did most of the writing), but I guess there's a massive $$$$$ difference between a "new Wayne Kramer project" and a "new MC5 album." It's not at all comparable to the New York Dolls where Johansen and Sylvain were really the brains and style of the operation, or Big Star where it was all about Alex Chilton (and Chris Bell originally). This is like a "new Beatles album" featuring only George.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I'm not so crazy about Back In The USA myself. The obvious issue of the production is a big part of it, like they've had their balls chopped off. But I don't think the songs are hugely compelling either.