Denver 04 April 2022

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

onegoodmeteor
New user

Denver 04 April 2022

Post by onegoodmeteor »

Looking forward to meeting with friends of SPZ tomorrow evening. I’ll be the tall, middle aged Caucasian bloke with thinning hair and more energy than good sense. Should be easy to spot in the crowd. 😁
onegoodmeteor
New user

Re: Denver 04 April 2022

Post by onegoodmeteor »

Satisfactory set last night from SPZ, but not transcendent. Perhaps, that’s more these days to expect than can be reasonably delivered. Same set as NM minus Mainline in a two-hour performance. A couple of reflections:

1. Move Coming Come Again from the number four position. Pacing grinds to a halt following solid opening and takes a few numbers more to recover.

2. Despite the obvious appeal of the “hits,” SPZ could and probably should ignore all songs now prior to A&E.There’s enough great material in the last four albums to create a strong set list.

3. Let It Bleed and Damaged were highlights for me last night. In fact, everything from the new album - except Coming Home - was music to these ears.

4. So Long You Pretty Things was a stand out encore.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

onegoodmeteor wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:07 pm 2. Despite the obvious appeal of the “hits,” SPZ could and probably should ignore all songs now prior to A&E.There’s enough great material in the last four albums to create a strong set list.
Controversial.
There maybe enough material from the last four albums to create a great setlist but i doubt he'd play all the songs that would enable that to occur for my ears. In which case i'd be looking at an average setlist at best and torturous at worst.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
onegoodmeteor
New user

Post by onegoodmeteor »

sunray wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:33 pm
onegoodmeteor wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:07 pm 2. Despite the obvious appeal of the “hits,” SPZ could and probably should ignore all songs now prior to A&E.There’s enough great material in the last four albums to create a strong set list.
Controversial.
There maybe enough material from the last four albums to create a great setlist but i doubt he'd play all the songs that would enable that to occur for my ears. In which case i'd be looking at an average setlist at best and torturous at worst.
The band only performed three from their first five albums last night - they’re almost there.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Could be a fun thread.. choose your perfect setlist using only songs from A&E onwards..
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Denver review and photos.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Alex English wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:44 pm Denver review and photos.
Thanks for posting that. Decent and honest review with some very nice photographs. I'm really looking forward to Dublin next month now.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angel-sighs wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:09 pm Could be a fun thread.. choose your perfect setlist using only songs from A&E onwards..
Or twist it another way, choose your set using only 3 songs from the first 5 albums that doesn`t include Come Together, Shine A Light or Walking With Jesus, quite a buzz when they they came on as an encore at Edinburgh Queens Hall 2011 and started with Sway, far be for me from me to tell `J` what to do though, be over the moon when they hit Glasgow in a couple of weeks
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

niamhm wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:27 pm
angel-sighs wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:09 pm Could be a fun thread.. choose your perfect setlist using only songs from A&E onwards..
Or twist it another way, choose your set using only 3 songs from the first 5 albums that doesn`t include Come Together, Shine A Light or Walking With Jesus, quite a buzz when they they came on as an encore at Edinburgh Queens Hall 2011 and started with Sway, far be for me from me to tell `J` what to do though, be over the moon when they hit Glasgow in a couple of weeks
Walking With Jesus is a Spacemen 3 song ;)

1 You Know It’s True
2 All Of My Thoughts
3 All Of My Tears
4 Step Into the Breeze
5 Cool Waves
6 Stop Your Crying
7 Feel Like Going Home
8 I Didn’t Mean To Hurt You
9 This Little Life of Mine
10 Smiles
11 Feel So Sad (substituting this single for an Amazing Grace song)
12 Lay it Down Slow
13 Stay With Me
14 Spread Your Wings
15 Won’t Get to Heaven

Encore:
16 Any Way That You Want Me