I love wearing Spiritualized shirts, but...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

swmcsherry
Known user

I love wearing Spiritualized shirts, but...

Post by swmcsherry »

am kind of tired of people asking me if it's a religious thing :P I usually splutter and say something goofy, as is my style. It's not THAT kind of religion, but perhaps a cult :D

To discourage religious questions I could wear my MAYBE TODAY, SATAN shirt more! But I'd love to meet other fans in the wild, which just doesn't happen around here.

This all points to one of the reasons I have loved going to shows this year: enjoying the energy among people who are into the same thing is just soul-satisfying. Being a semi-recovering loner, it's lovely to go by myself but not feel alone, because there's that built-in connection.

There are so many other reasons too, including reawakening my love for live music after decades of sporadic attendance - that sense of being cocooned in a bubble of amazing sound is such a special experience.

But anyway...if anyone is reading this, any recommendations on keeping up with shows (different groups) worldwide? I'm interested in big and small (preferably smallish) venues, festivals, whatever. Building trips around shows has become a favorite thing to do, but I've been out of the loop for a while!

Thanks 🖤
Last edited by swmcsherry on Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ...if you've got a lonely heart too...

- Come on baby, stop your crying

- Don't wanna live, but I can't resist

- I would rather add some life to my years
Ian
Known user

Re: I love wearing Spiritualized shirts, but...

Post by Ian »

Imagine what it's like being a middle-aged Teenage Fanclub enthusiast. Those aren't T-shirts I feel happy wearing outside of gig environments any more. The Facebook fan page for them even feels the need to ask vetting questions of new people signing up to make sure that they know it's about the band, there have been... questionable people wanting to join in the past.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

Oh noooooo :lol:

Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Ian wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:03 am Imagine what it's like being a middle-aged Teenage Fanclub enthusiast. Those aren't T-shirts I feel happy wearing outside of gig environments any more. The Facebook fan page for them even feels the need to ask vetting questions of new people signing up to make sure that they know it's about the band, there have been... questionable people wanting to join in the past.
Wow :lol:
swmcsherry wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:39 am am kind of tired of people asking me if it's a religious thing :P I usually splutter and say something goofy, as is my style. It's not THAT kind of religion, but perhaps a cult :D

To discourage religious questions I could wear my MAYBE TODAY, SATAN shirt more! But I'd love to meet other fans in the wild, which just doesn't happen around here.

This all points to one of the reasons I have loved going to shows this year: enjoying the energy among people who are into the same thing is just soul-satisfying. Being a semi-recovering loner, it's lovely to go by myself but not feel alone, because there's that built-in connection.

There are so many other reasons too, including reawakening my love for live music after decades of sporadic attendance - that sense of being cocooned in a bubble of amazing sound is such a special experience.

But anyway...if anyone is reading this, any recommendations on keeping up with shows worldwide? I'm interested in big and small (preferably smallish) venues, festivals, whatever. Building trips around shows has become a favorite thing to do, but I've been out of the loop for a while!

Thanks 🖤
One time I was at my ex girlfriend's staff accommodation. I was playing LAGWAFIS. It was one of the noisier tracks that was on (ironically it may have been No God Only Religion). A girl she worked with came in the room. She asked what I was listening to. "Spiritualized", I replied. "Oh. You don't really expect spiritual music to sound like this", she said.

I think the name just confuses some people...
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:26 am
One time I was at my ex girlfriend's staff accommodation. I was playing LAGWAFIS. It was one of the noisier tracks that was on (ironically it may have been No God Only Religion). A girl she worked with came in the room. She asked what I was listening to. "Spiritualized", I replied. "Oh. You don't really expect spiritual music to sound like this", she said.

I think the name just confuses some people...
Oh, definitely! It all just depends on what your "spirit" needs 😁

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

On a slightly random note but still shirt - and sort of spiritual - orientated. Can't remember if I've told this tale before.

A few years ago Cliff Richard played a gig near where I live and we got freebie tickets. I thought it would be a funny idea to wear an Electric Wizard shirt, complete with upside down crucifixes on it, to the show. To my surprise an opportunity appeared to meet Cliff as my brother worked with the same tour manager. Somewhere there's a photo of Cliff, my brother, my wife and me. My satanic shirt and inverted crosses are clearly visible. I can't work out how Cliff missed it!

That's about as un-Spiritualized a t-shirt tale as I've got!
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

runcible wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:40 pm On a slightly random note but still shirt - and sort of spiritual - orientated. Can't remember if I've told this tale before.

A few years ago Cliff Richard played a gig near where I live and we got freebie tickets. I thought it would be a funny idea to wear an Electric Wizard shirt, complete with upside down crucifixes on it, to the show. To my surprise an opportunity appeared to meet Cliff as my brother worked with the same tour manager. Somewhere there's a photo of Cliff, my brother, my wife and me. My satanic shirt and inverted crosses are clearly visible. I can't work out how Cliff missed it!

That's about as un-Spiritualized a t-shirt tale as I've got!
Oh, that's perfect. (I confess I had to google him to learn about his transformation into more religious stuff.) I love that you have the moment captured for posterity!

Currently in the eastern wilds of Maryland, wearing my LAGWAFIS shirt (because you never know). A cashier looked at my shirt and said, "What do you do if you see the Buddha on the road?" I said, "I don't know, what do you do?" He said, "Kill him, because that's not the real Buddha!!" He was very amused by himself - I just paid for my shit and got outta there 🙄

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I don’t have any stories, but this thread made me dream last night about the homemade LGM cover embroidered army jacket I used to have.
thank you!
It’s a nice memory
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

ro wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:48 pm I don’t have any stories, but this thread made me dream last night about the homemade LGM cover embroidered army jacket I used to have.
thank you!
It’s a nice memory
Oh my gosh, that sounds fabulous. What happened to it?

Until I was about 20 I thought I was some sort of flower child. When I was 16ish I embroidered a jean jacket with peace signs, flowers, the Doors logo/lettering, Grateful Dead skeletons, etc. - it's embarrassing in retrospect, but I do still have that tiny jacket! Found a pic of it, even.

And my sister had one with the "Swan Song"/Icarus Led Zeppelin image painted on it. We were so cool 🤣

Spiritualized embroidery, though - I might just have to get back into that 🤔
Attachments
Screenshot_20221017-192357_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221017-192357_Facebook.jpg (282.17 KiB) Viewed 2889 times

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I gave it to an old pal, and sadly don’t have photos

but I’m delighted you’ve shared your denim… It’s beautiful! i’m sure you both felt on top of the world with those on

mine wasn’t nearly that elaborate, just the white figures.. I do have “Let the light be forever green” sewn down the sleeve of my red hoodie, for those days when i need a special reminder
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

ro wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:44 am I gave it to an old pal, and sadly don’t have photos

but I’m delighted you’ve shared your denim… It’s beautiful! i’m sure you both felt on top of the world with those on

mine wasn’t nearly that elaborate, just the white figures.. I do have “Let the light be forever green” sewn down the sleeve of my red hoodie, for those days when i need a special reminder
Thanks! I did feel super cool in it :lol:

Your hoodie quote sounds perfect. Visual reminders can be so helpful to ground/remind/excite/do whatever we need them to do!

Duppy
New user

Post by Duppy »

ro wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:44 am I gave it to an old pal, and sadly don’t have photos

I would wear that jacket
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Duppy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:12 am I would wear that jacket
:D