King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nghst
Known user

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Post by nghst »

There's only a few bands which I like every album they put out, Spiritualized being one. KGLW on the other hand their early stuff and there more recent stuff I'm not as interested in. These albums I highly recommend: I'm in Your Mind Fuzz, Nonagon Infinity, Flying Microtonal Banana, Murder of the Universe, Fishin for Fishies, and Infest the Rats Nest. This group has put out over 20 albums, but I think for the time being I won't be purchasing anymore. Maybe someone on this forum will take the time to review their new stuff, because I've lost the faith in them putting out more quality music, at least music that I can appreciate.
Laz69
Known user

Re: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Post by Laz69 »

Quantity over quality imo. Just dont understand the hype with them. They seem to be constantly named alongside Tame Impala like some sort of psych beacons.

Maybe I'm just getting old... :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Was just listening to Laminated Denim today actually. Not bad, two 15 minute tracks. Sounds like a cross between Neu! and the Grateful Dead for chunks of it.
The only two KG albums i like and can name are I'm In Your Mind Fuzz and Infest The Rats Nest. I do like others but there are so many of them i can't actually remember which ones they are. I quit trying to keep up a long time ago and now just decide to try one when the mood takes me. They're too prolific and also suffer with being too clever for their own good; just because you can tackle tons of multiple genres doesn't mean you should. They are certainly a far better proposition than Tame Impala or Pond ever were, but i always think it should be Thee Oh Sees garnering all those plaudits, in much the same way i thought the Pixies should've been in Nirvana's position all those years ago (but that's a whole other rabbit hole...).

In saying all that, they're well worth checking out live, but I suspect the next time they play near me the ticket prices will be far more than i'll be willing to pay.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I rather enjoyed that KG album - ta for the suggestion You had me with the Neu!/Dead combo! I find their sprawling catalogue confusing so it's useful to hear of recommendations.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:01 am I rather enjoyed that KG album - ta for the suggestion You had me with the Neu!/Dead combo! I find their sprawling catalogue confusing so it's useful to hear of recommendations.
Ha! You were the first person i thought of when listening to it! :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ah... Thanks Joycey. This place still remains a go to site for music suggestions!
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I have at this time 17 of their 24 albums and plan to buy their next one coming out later this October.
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

PetroDragon is so much better than Infest the Rats Nest. In fact I think a lot of their later albums are superior to their 2016 5 album run. KG/LW are better than Microtonal Flying Banana, Laminated Denim has one of the bands best songs ever, Ice Death is a solid record.
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Saw them live last month after Manchester Psych Fest and they were outstanding.

Never actively sought their stuff out and not sure I'd even know where to begin as they seem to release a new record every other day.

Would recommend go see them again but don't feel the need to work my way though their discography.