Rose City Band New Album - Garden Party

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

purespace
Known user

Rose City Band New Album - Garden Party

Post by purespace »

Thrill Jocky subscriber exclusive pre-order opportunity up now:

Garden Party finds Ripley Johnson’s self-proclaimed “porch music” expanding, with the proverbial porch opened up from a solo project to encompass a full band of friends from the Portland scene. Having formed the band of pedal steel guitarist Barry Walker, keyboardist Paul Hasenberg, bassist Dewey Mahood (aka Plankton Wat) and drummer Dustin Dybvig to play on the road, Garden Party captures the inspiration playing live again had on Johnson. Mixed by John McEntire, Garden Party features guest appearances by Moon Duo bandmates John Jeffrey on drums and Sanae Yamada on synths, as well as Rose City Band live performers Hasenberg on keyboards and Walker on pedal steel. With the musicians in his life in mind, Ripley’s porch has opened up for each player to step into. Despite being tracked primarily as a solo endeavor the recordings capture the twists and bends of a fully realized ensemble.
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Re: Rose City Band New Album - Garden Party

Post by sunray »

Unexpected news. Here's a link for pre-order of Glow in the dark vinyl: https://thrilljockey.com/products/garden-party

I'm sure there's bound to be other variants for those dubious about buying GITD records.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

This is great news. It didn't feel right not to have any release featuring Ripley last year. Also a tour - hopefully I'll be able to catch them in London (The Scala) this time, after missing out last year.

Ste
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This is indeed excellent news as RCB's Leeds date was one of the music highlights of last year. York isn't too much of a distance to travel and I think we'll make a day of it.

For anyone into the 'cosmic country' scene a package featuring Jeffrey Silverstein is touring in the spring. Jeff's band features Rose City Band's pedal steel maestro Barry Walker. I've been into Jeff's laid back country rock grooves for a few weeks now and recommend it to anyone who enjoys RCB. We're planning a trip to Pontefract to catch these guys. Check it out:

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'll second the Jeffrey Silverstein recommendation.
My pick for a song. Gorgeous.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

A translucent blue vinyl version was just released by Thrill Jocky https://rosecityband.bandcamp.com/album/garden-party

Looks like the UK stores also have pre-orders up 👍🤟
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:09 pm I'll second the Jeffrey Silverstein recommendation.
My pick for a song. Gorgeous.
Agreed Alan, and thanks for the heads up, the vinyl is gorgeous.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Thank you for the Silverstein recommendation, didn't know it, but sounds really nice!
"Thank you"
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hoping to catch them in Brighton in June as they didn't play down this way when they were last over. Been super impressed with all 3 of their previous albums so very much looking forward to this one. Missed out on the glow in the dark version but might hold out and see what the band have with them on the merch desk. The £30+ for a single LP thing going on with most of the record stores these days is certainly reducing my vinyl purchases I must admit :cry:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Anyone listen to it yet?
The opening track 'Chasing Rainbows' is basically a countryfied Walkin' With Jesus that morphs into Shine A Light :D
I think i prefer it to Earth Trip, as Ripley has allowed himself to stretch out a bit more with the solos which i felt wasn't the case with the last album. There's still moments where it feels almost too grown-up and adult for my moronic low-brow tastes but overall it's good. I look forward to listening to it in the garden on a sunny afternoon with suitable refreshments.

https://rosecityband.bandcamp.com/album/garden-party
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

My copy arrived on Saturday, but I was away over the weekend, so only managed to listen once last night. I liked what I heard! Loved the vibe of Mariposa. Hopefully get a chance to listen to it a lot more over the next few days. Can't wait to see them in June.

Ste
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Pre ordered from Thrilljockey months ago for a very reasonable £25 all in, apparently it’s in the wind, probably get it next week. Seeing it appear in UK record shops for £37!! WTF is going on here?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I love it too. It's simply part 4 of Ripley's obsession with that style of music. I agree with Sunray as I think it's a slight step up from Earth Trip. I'm a sucker for the faster paced tunes with catchy riffs, and I feel more of that vibe here, particularly on the wonderfully titled 'Porch Boogie'.

Tickets for the York show in June lined up. If it's anything like the last tour it'll be a treat.
Rokkenwithdokken
Known user

Post by Rokkenwithdokken »

Really enjoying this one, some Allman Brother vibes, plus I’m a sucker for pedal steel guitar. Some great psychedelic solos as usual as well. Just a pleasure to listen to really.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Rokkenwithdokken wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:56 pm Really enjoying this one, some Allman Brother vibes, plus I’m a sucker for pedal steel guitar. Some great psychedelic solos as usual as well. Just a pleasure to listen to really.
If you’re a pedal steel aficionado definitely check our Jeff Silverstein’s stuff as it features RCB’s pedal steel man Barry Walker. Which can lead you to Barry’s solo work, also worth checking out. Which then can lead you to North Americans, another outfit Barry supplies pedal steel sounds to. Add to that Bobby Lee, Sheffield’s psychedelic cowboy, who’s made a couple of excellent albums and plays live regularly in the UK.

The Cosmic Country scene is curiously vibrant…
Rokkenwithdokken
Known user

Post by Rokkenwithdokken »

runcible wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:40 am
Rokkenwithdokken wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:56 pm Really enjoying this one, some Allman Brother vibes, plus I’m a sucker for pedal steel guitar. Some great psychedelic solos as usual as well. Just a pleasure to listen to really.
If you’re a pedal steel aficionado definitely check our Jeff Silverstein’s stuff as it features RCB’s pedal steel man Barry Walker. Which can lead you to Barry’s solo work, also worth checking out. Which then can lead you to North Americans, another outfit Barry supplies pedal steel sounds to. Add to that Bobby Lee, Sheffield’s psychedelic cowboy, who’s made a couple of excellent albums and plays live regularly in the UK.

The Cosmic Country scene is curiously vibrant…
Sweet thanks for that, I’ll check them all out
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

niamhm wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:11 pm Pre ordered from Thrilljockey months ago for a very reasonable £25 all in, apparently it’s in the wind, probably get it next week. Seeing it appear in UK record shops for £37!! WTF is going on here?
Just going to correct that, $25 so more like £21, wtf is happening in UK record shops? Anyway/it arrived today an on first listen it sounds the best and most accomplished RCB yet, let’s give it some time …
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Works under semi-laboratory conditions (sun, garden, cold cider). Not sure my mate agreed, but, sure, fuck him :lol:
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I see RCB are coming back to the UK in November! No London date, but a handful of gigs scattered around the place:

11/04 Birmingham, UK - Hare & Hounds
11/05 Glasgow, UK - Hug & Pint
11/06 Leeds, UK - Brudenell
11/07 Liverpool, UK - Philharmonic Music Room
11/08 Ipswitch, UK - St. Stephens Church
11/09 Southhampton, UK - The 1865
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Saw them in Newcastle last year and York last week. Will probably go to Leeds too, always an outstanding performance from the entire band.

Could do with him putting Moon Duo back on the road again after this though.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

stegraham wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:39 pm I see RCB are coming back to the UK in November! No London date, but a handful of gigs scattered around the place:

11/04 Birmingham, UK - Hare & Hounds
11/05 Glasgow, UK - Hug & Pint
11/06 Leeds, UK - Brudenell
11/07 Liverpool, UK - Philharmonic Music Room
11/08 Ipswitch, UK - St. Stephens Church
11/09 Southhampton, UK - The 1865
The Hug And Pint is like a bloody shoe box, terrible choice of venue, and concur on the Moon Duo point,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

On another sunkissed afternoon in the garden i played Garden Party > Moon Duo's Stars Are The Light > Occult Architecture Vol.2 for ultimate blissed out vibes. Recommended if weather permits in your area :D 8)
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

The Birmingham show also has those magic words for a fan of a certain age.. "matinee show" 🙂
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Great performance on KEXP recently: