Live youtube vid- Spiritualized @ Quart Festival Norway 1993

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angel-sighs
Known user

Live youtube vid- Spiritualized @ Quart Festival Norway 1993

Post by angel-sighs »

Some footage of hanging about on the rather nice looking site, and a couple songs

https://youtu.be/CSXUfwwspyU
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Re: Live youtube vid- Spiritualized @ Quart Festival Norway 1993

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

Cool ... not seen that before
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow, fantastic, thank you
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pretty sure someone from here knew the original uploader and posted it before.

Edit: viewtopic.php?p=143682&hilit=quart+fest ... ay#p143682
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

sunray wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:38 pm Pretty sure someone from here knew the original uploader and posted it before.

Edit: viewtopic.php?p=143682&hilit=quart+fest ... ay#p143682
Yes! This was filmed by a friend of mine back in 1992:)
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Cheers! I saw the upload date of 3 weeks ago and assumed it had only recently surfaced.
It looks like such a nice setting for a festival!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Wow, what a delightful throwback in every way!

Jason using the "3" guitar; no phones to be seen, and Kate looking pretty hot also!

Couple of years after this I was in Kristiansand getting off the overnight ferry from Denmark. Was the middle of winter, though, so don't remember it looking like the Cote d'Azur as it does here :D

I'd give anything to sack off the present day and timewarp back to those freer, pre-digital days of the late 80s/early 90s...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

That was amazing, if frustratingly short! I happened to have some nice headphones near by when I watched that video, and was amazed at the sound quality. It was fascinating being able to pick out all the individual instruments, and hear such different early live arrangements. I'd love to be able to hear more of this gig. It would be quite interesting just to know roughly what the setlist would have included?

The way the band used dynamics to carefully build up during Sway sounds really raw - much more like a live Spacemen 3 arrangement, as opposed to what we hear just a couple of years later on Fucked Up Inside.

Walking With Jesus similarly sounds more like a Spacemen 3 version, with a very strict 4/4 beat using a tambourine (that might not be the technically correct term here, but you get my drift) instead of any hi-hats for the percussive splash on beats 2 and 4. Again the build up towards the end has a Spacemen vibe, finishing with the choppy tremolo trails when the band come to an abrupt but clean stop.

In addition to seeing the old "3" single coil Telecaster, I noticed both Jason and Mark playing through Roland JC120s. Previously I think the only solid state amp I've seen Jason using is his old HH Electronic head, the one with an eerie green glow across the whole face which I don't think I've seen in over 20 years.

It's also interesting to see Mark playing a Fender Jaguar, which I don't recall him mentioning on the recent podcast where he talked about his Gretsch Country Gent that sadly got stolen. I notice he's got a fair few pedals at his feet, while Jason only seems to have a couple, including his classic (and now quite valuable) blue Boss PN2 tremolo. Will's playing a Fender Jazz, rather than his much more visually striking Gibson Thunderbird which I think was his very first bass, if I'm remembering the story he told in his book correctly?

The Trace Elliot combo Will seems to be using really takes me back. The originals had a great reputation, deservedly so as not only were they built like the proverbial brick shithouse (see how many are still fetching high prices today!) but featured pioneering innovations such as their cabinet/driver loading, which was inspired by efficient PA subwoofer designs as opposed to typical guitar cabs - where even today the latter is still pretty much the same as it was in the mid sixties.

Many thanks to the poster who drew this to my attention. It's a great little slice of musical history, providing a fascinating insight through both the great sound and close-up camera work.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

mojo filters wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:54 pm Will's playing a Fender Jazz, rather than his much more visually striking Gibson Thunderbird which I think was his very first bass, if I'm remembering the story he told in his book correctly?
Surely its Sean Cook, not Will! Must have been soon after Will left I guess as Mark is still there.

Great film, thanks for the link.
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

clewsr wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:43 am
mojo filters wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:54 pm Will's playing a Fender Jazz, rather than his much more visually striking Gibson Thunderbird which I think was his very first bass, if I'm remembering the story he told in his book correctly?
Surely its Sean Cook, not Will! Must have been soon after Will left I guess as Mark is still there.

Great film, thanks for the link.
Yeah it is Sean Cook. Confused me, thought Will mentioned the gig in his book?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mojo filters wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:54 pm The way the band used dynamics to carefully build up during Sway sounds really raw - much more like a live Spacemen 3 arrangement, as opposed to what we hear just a couple of years later on Fucked Up Inside.

Walking With Jesus similarly sounds more like a Spacemen 3 version, with a very strict 4/4 beat using a tambourine (that might not be the technically correct term here, but you get my drift) instead of any hi-hats for the percussive splash on beats 2 and 4. Again the build up towards the end has a Spacemen vibe, finishing with the choppy tremolo trails when the band come to an abrupt but clean stop.
This gig is the same year as Fucked Up Inside.
Also, that's how they were playing WWJ for a few years. In '93 Kate injected some noisy keyboards then around 94/95 is when it became more 'rocked up' (detrimentally i would say).

This reads snottily, it's not intended to be :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

Does anyone know anything more about the 3 Tele?

Always been intrigued by it...
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Agree that the music takes a little while to gear up. Sway starts off sounding a bit limp but then when it gears up, it starts sounding magical. The band have always been really good at that.