Pete Bain Memoir Reading In London

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

poppy
Known user

Pete Bain Memoir Reading In London

Post by poppy »

A heads up that Pete Bain will be telling stories from his soon to be published Spacemen memoir Sick Notes at the 100 Club in London on June 7th. Also on the bill are The Flowers Of Hell (who'll play some Spacemen songs with him), and The Confederate Dead, with interim music selected by Death In Vegas's Tim Holmes. www.wegottickets.com/event/580710/
sunray
Known user

Re: Pete Bain Memoir Reading In London

Post by sunray »

Very curious about this book. Pete Bain's blog writings have often suggested to me he is a very angry man.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

The Flowers Of Hell doing Spacemen songs could be pretty cool, and a good fit.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I am VERY :o interested in Pete's book :!: Did i see correct that Randall Nieman has also a book in the making :?: Pre-ordered Thurston Moore's book also. But it does seem that Pete Bain's book is soon in the oven, book number four about SP3 is only around the corner.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I asked Pete through facebook what's up with his book and i hope he doesn't mind me forwarding here his reply:

"Multiple issues have meant that for the past 3 yrs or so it has not been able to be published. Main issue is funding and lack of a publisher, the subject matter is too obscure to gain a wide audience so it has limited interest, ultimately I do not want to have to give it away for free but I admit that is probably what will happen."

It is what it is but, i do hope he keeps his head up and pushes towards publishing. He doesn't sound positive though, but i had to remind him that fans will very much appreciate his words and his side of the stories.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Maybe he should just do a 'pay what you like' scheme, i'd happily bung him some money (the price of what the book would have cost) directly if a publisher isn't interested.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

A crowdfund would be the best option for sure. I've seen them set up for unpublished books several times, and I've bought at least two books through such schemes, including this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bo ... of-erasure

It's no risk on both sides really. If it gets funded to cover the printing/publishing costs, everyone goes home happy. If it doesn't reach its funding, the pledges get refunded.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

From what I remember, his blog was a bitter and rambling mess. Based on that, I can't imagine his book being something a publisher would take a second look at. Releasing it himself online is his best bet.