Come Together (TFI Friday 1998)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angel-sighs
Known user

Come Together (TFI Friday 1998)

Post by angel-sighs »

Had no idea the band had played this TV show! Somehow I doubt they were ligging it up with Chris Evans behind the scenes. Pretty natty jacket J is wearing there.

https://youtu.be/bVSgosMR50E

This youtube channel is full of great rare music stuff.
Spiby
Known user

Re: Come Together (TFI Friday 1998)

Post by Spiby »

I remember that happening. There must have been mention of it on spiritualized.com at the time (or possibly on C4), because I knew it was coming up and we were heading up to Edinburgh from the Midlands to stay with relatives that day, so it was a real push to get there on time. We got there and my wife very kindly got the kids to bed (8, 6 and 4 at the time), and I sat down with my sister-in-law and niece to watch TFI Friday. At the start of the programme they cut across to the green room, and there was the band looking glum. Then I had to sit through the whole thing only for them to appear for the closing credits. IIRC Chris Evans introduced them with "They're loud, but you'll love 'em!". I must have it on VHS somewhere, because I couldn't wait to get back home the following week to watch it again. (And again. And again...)

Seems a lifetime ago (kids are all grown up and now we've got 3 grandchildren with 2 more on the way this year) xx
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Does the Glastonbury 98 broadcast exist anywhere other than the shelf it's been sat on since it originally aired?
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Thanks for the memories Spiby. It would be fun to see that shot of the green room!

Also agree on Glastonbury 98, i think I had a bootleg DVD of it somewhere but it's not the full set.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Would this performance be around the time the LAGWAFIS band was in crisis? Must've been really difficult to cope with, however the performances from this period are always beautifully intense.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Such a great performance. I've never seen this one before. Thanks for sharing!
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Glad people enjoyed it, I like finding live vids I haven't seen before.
I guess it's true that this must have been the period with internal band tensions. When were the members sacked, was it 98 or 99? It can't have been a great feeling making music together, its impressive that the gigs stayed as amazing as they were. I've never really bought the myth that tension makes for better music
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Here's another one i'd not seen before myself. Full band Out of Sight on some TV show I've never heard of. Shame the director seems to want to change camera angle every 2 seconds

https://youtu.be/neqkHlKXix0

And another for good measure. An interview but also some live footage mixed in. I never knew Stop Your Crying was played this early! It says its 97 but I reckon it might be 98. Is wearing the same jacket as TFI Friday?

https://youtu.be/fm0Uq1mzrso
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

On the second clip his shirt during the live footage would suggest 1998 :lol: :roll: :oops:

Nerdy joking aside, on the second installment of that interview he mentions the CN Tower and WTC shows, which were Nov.97 and April 98 so i'm thinking it's from 1998. Unless they haven't yet played the WTC gig at that point in time and it's still in planning.

Fucking hell, that Dangerfield chap WAS right about this place! :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

How dare people call us nerds. Slander, I tell ya!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

sunray wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:51 pm On the second clip his shirt during the live footage would suggest 1998 :lol: :roll: :oops:

Nerdy joking aside, on the second installment of that interview he mentions the CN Tower and WTC shows, which were Nov.97 and April 98 so i'm thinking it's from 1998. Unless they haven't yet played the WTC gig at that point in time and it's still in planning.

Fucking hell, that Dangerfield chap WAS right about this place! :lol:

I have the Glasgow gig from 15.03.1998 and it's the first track
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

angel-sighs wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:45 pm Glad people enjoyed it, I like finding live vids I haven't seen before.
I guess it's true that this must have been the period with internal band tensions. When were the members sacked, was it 98 or 99? It can't have been a great feeling making music together, its impressive that the gigs stayed as amazing as they were. I've never really bought the myth that tension makes for better music
Totally agree with this. Respect to them for surviving a year of it, the anecdotes are rough. It's hard enough spending time in an office at work with someone you don't like let alone airports, tour buses, gigs, TV shows etc. The soundcheck footage on YouTube from 98 on the Radiohead tour seems particularly sad.