sonic on new stereolab dvd

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

JL
Known user

sonic on new stereolab dvd

Post by JL »

the dvd that accompanies stereolab's new 3cd + dvd compilation features live footage of the band on "later with jools holland" with sonic boom hiding up in the corner playing his electronics. two songs: cybele's reverie and les yper sound.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I saw that box set the other day - is it worth getting?
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

in terms of the music on there, absolutely. i've always preferred the ep's to the albums, and this compiles all of them from jenny ondioline through captain easychord, making it (for me) a three-disc best-of. there are also i believe three extra rarities, one of which is an unreleased alt version of ping-pong (big deal).

given all that, in terms of overall value this probably isn't essential. if you have the ep's you pretty much have everything already. the dvd is nice (music videos plus the three tv performances), but certainly not out of this world. at the same time, however, the packaging is beautiful and the list price is low for a 3-cd + DVD box set (you can find it in the US for under $20).
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i have to say i saw sonic play with stereolab and tortoise in manchester and enjoyed it greatly, i always wondered why he did'nt make more of that, i seem to remember they offered him permanant memberbership of the band... i think
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Right, I've only got sporadic stereolab albums, so this sounds like its worth a go, particulalry as its not too pricey. I'll add it to my list of things to buy.

And Mr Black - wheres my cd?!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

clewsr wrote:Right, I've only got sporadic stereolab albums, so this sounds like its worth a go, particulalry as its not too pricey. I'll add it to my list of things to buy.

And Mr Black - wheres my cd?!

ah very good, busted.......

right, i'll pm you my works email, and then we can gossip further,
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

i know he appeared on the radio sessions disc, but did sonic play on any of the albums? i can't recall him being credited on anything.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

JL wrote:i know he appeared on the radio sessions disc, but did sonic play on any of the albums? i can't recall him being credited on anything.
i'm not totally sure, but i know him playing with the labs on the radio session disc "ABC Music". he is not on studio albums.
but the radio session versions are fantastic!
hip-op, very camp attractions. lovely.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

He gets a thanks in the sleevenotes for Emperor Tomato Ketchup, which is where the tracks on "ABC..." that he plays on come from, but no clear indication that he played on the final recordings for the album...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Spotted this rather nice expensive stereolab item when searching for the box set.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=131796

Its out of my price range unfortunately, but anyone know anything about it? Or anyone got it? What albums are included?
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

It's the Aluminium Tunes (Switched On Vol 3) spread over 3 discs with 2 extra tracks making up the forth disc. I'm fairly sure the UK vinyl version was also a 3 disc affair in a hesian cover similar to the UK CDs, but rare as hen's teeth.

There's a really good fans site run by someone called Koly, check google, it's bound to have the full SP on there. Some top live downloads on that site too.

Try http://www.koly.com/stereolab/

Laz "ABC .... " is a load of Peel sessions and Sonic is on two of the sessions. I guess they were recorded around the time of the tour.

I remember reading something Tim Gane said about Sonic just turning up at their gigs with exotic drone instruments and just sort of joining in, might have been in one of the Volume CD/mag thingies.