Plastic Factory

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Starfish
Known user

Plastic Factory

Post by Starfish »

Sad to report the demise of Plastic Factory records in Birmingham (for those of you that know it)
A real end on an era. I saw the proprietor on Saturday packing up all the lovely vinyl into boxes ready for the move out.
It was a great shop for collectors of hard-to-find stuff and a bit of a legend in its time. I spied a copy of Loop's Collision 12" in one of the boxes.

I used to spend so much time in there. And 15 years ago, when I first went, there was a Midland Bank cashpoint machine across the road - a combination which did me no good at all.
I spoke to the boss on Saturday and he said he was hoping to get all the stock up for sale online in the near future, but it would take some time.

It's a shame, but more and more indie record shops are biting the dust as the megastores get bigger and more powerful, and MP3 downloads continue to gather momentum.
Not to mention the ease with which you can buy hard-to-find stuff over the Internet these days.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

still got swordfish, thankfully.

also, have you been to the second hand vinyl place on bristol street? what's it like?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

You mean The Diskery next to that pub? I drive past it on the way home from work and keep meaning to go. I went about 5 years ago and seem to remember it as a right mess with stacks and stacks of records, but in no apparent order (a bit like Ron's Records in Nottingham if anyone knows it).
Probably worth a visit if you've got a couple of hours to spare and don't suffer from back or neck ache.

Don't forget Tempest as well in Brum. I got the Walking With Jesus 7" in there and I noticed this week they've got a copy of Pure Phase with the Kate & Jason in spacesuit cover.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Starfish wrote: and I noticed this week they've got a copy of Pure Phase with the Kate & Jason in spacesuit cover.
never heard about that before. are you sure?
regained my meaning of record hunting.
mazza
Known user

Post by mazza »

yeah, my cd of pure phase has this cover.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

mazza wrote:yeah, my cd of pure phase has this cover.
wow!

can someone ANYONE guide me to that cd!!!!

any helpful hand is respected.

:!:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Some guy selling one here.

Love,

Ian
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

thanx Ian,,,

it was about one click only.

:)
Victor Meldrew
New user

Post by Victor Meldrew »

Would anyone be interested in sharing some of their favorite out of the way record shops in the UK? Maybe people could compile their top 10 or whatever.

Thanks!
Vic
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My top 10:
Kingbee- Manchester
Record Collector- Sheffield
Vinyl Exchange(both)- Manchester
Select-a-Disc- Nottingham
Forever Changes- Sheffield
Sister Ray- London
Rough Trade(both)- London
Vinyl Revival- Manchester
Jumbo- Leeds
Select-A Disc- London

Worth noting is Music & Video Exchange(take your pick of location but primarily Notting Hill Gate) as thee worst record shop in the UK for condition, value and especially attitude. Total fucking assholes!
Phillipo
Known user

Shops

Post by Phillipo »

I'm not *that* keen on Forever Changes, I can never find anything worth getting there.

Worth a mention are two Newcastle shops, Steel Wheels and RPM.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

spzretent wrote:
Worth noting is Music & Video Exchange(take your pick of location but primarily Notting Hill Gate) as thee worst record shop in the UK for condition, value and especially attitude. Total fucking assholes!
Yeah... been to the Camden one...total bastards.

I mean jesus, it could be better BUT YOU WORK IN A RECORD SHOP for god's sakes!

The shop was fucking manky too.

:!:
kidmarine
New user

Post by kidmarine »

music and video exchange in camden seems to be a cut above the rest : more stock / more changover / less rediculous prices etc...

selectadisc shops in nottingham are worth going to that place alone for...

sisterray in london is okay... terrible overpriced mailorder service though... they also sell through ebay...

and mentioning ebay there are some great sellers of obscure stuff on their with great prices and service... like 'newtrecs' (yes i spelt that correctly!)