NEW MUSIC

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

NEW MUSIC

Post by ORBITAL »

Got the Stellastar album at the weekend.
Quite like it. Nice guitar work in it. Sound
technically gifted band an the songs are great too.
Anyone recomend anythin elses theyve
bought of late?
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Here's some you might like...

The High Strung "These are good times LP" I can't recommend this highly enough. Burn your Beatles LP's, you won't need them anymore.

The Coachwhips "Bangers versus Fuckers LP" (I don't have this, it's not out yet, but on the strength of the track 'Extinguish me', it is a must have. They make Pussy Galore sound like Whitney Houston).

Gravity Propulsion System "Poison Rays of Sound LP" (again, don't have this, but dig the title, and download ther track 'Slovent', and marvel - if we needed a new God Machine, these guys just may have something).
It's all happening!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sly saxon wrote:Here's some you might like...

Gravity Propulsion System "Poison Rays of Sound LP" (again, don't have this, but dig the title, and download ther track 'Slovent', and marvel - if we needed a new God Machine, these guys just may have something).
Mr Saxon -
This track is fucking awesome. Right up my street! I suspect we have a few similar areas in our music collections - I shall pay attention to your recommendations more closely from now on. Do you happen to know if the rest of the album like this? Good and heavy with a decent tune? It's a lot faster than The God Machine! Thank you for the recommendation - I shall hunt this sucker down.

I recently bought 1929's Last But Not Leased after having it recommended to me by Bardo Pond's Mike Gibbons. You can get a decent live download from their web site (http://www.rinkydink.com). Hard punky instrumentals with some good guitar distortion.

Brain Jonestown Massacre's This Is Our Music is superb. Much more laid back than previous stuff but with unmistakeable melodies and jangles. Brilliant. Highly recommended. You can download their entire catalogue from their web site (http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com) including that album. But give the poor guys some money and buy it.

Kinski's entire catalogue, but particularly Be Gentle With The Warm Turtle and Airs Above Our Station, is worth a punt. Download some songs to see what all the fuss is about (http://www.kinski.net). And they're coming to Leeds in 2 weeks! Woo-hoo!

That's all that's new on my front. Started listening to Kendra Smith records again recently and am trying to track down rare recordings by her and bands she was in (mainly Opal). Anyone got any?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Stellastarr*??? I heard them on the radio the other day and thought they sounded awful, but maybe I was just in a bad mood.

The new Twilight Singers album, Blackberry Belle, is excellent. They're Greg Dulli's (ex-Afghan Whigs) new band. Got a chance to see them live a few weeks ago here in Chicago and they were great.

The new Shins' album is also extremely cool - Chutes Too Narrow. Probably one of my favorite 5 albums of the year.

Also ... Super Furry Animals' ~ Phantom Power is amazing!!! I think I mentioned it a few times on the old board.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Well, just sampled the Brian Jonestown Massacre (purchased "Tomorrows Heroes Today...and this is our music". Love the intent, keen on the sense of style, and not to say the sound is beyond my ken, but it will probably grow on me (and I will certainly give it every opportunity).

Also bought the New Nebula record (Atomic Ritual)...I must say it is a bit more multi-textural than the Charged LP, and the Dos EP, but again, a bit of a slow burner on the whole (although there are a probably enough tracks on there that sound like Leonard Skinnerd in space, on drugs, which is what we pay our money for, ain't it?).

Noticed that Wild Billy Childish & the Friends of the Buff Medway Fanciers Association have a new one out (called 1914). I ain't heard this one, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with a band that make the White Stripes sound like the Carpenters.
It's all happening!
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

runcible wrote:
sly saxon wrote: Kinski's entire catalogue, but particularly Be Gentle With The Warm Turtle and Airs Above Our Station, is worth a punt.

:lol:If they're worried about splashback, I'd recommend putting plenty of paper down first.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

1. Careful with the quote thing - I said nothing like that and...

2. There are too, too few songs about 'Casting Churchill's reflection', in rock or any other genre, if it comes to that.
It's all happening!
On Fire
New user

Post by On Fire »

[quote="sly saxon"]
The High Strung "These are good times LP" I can't recommend this highly enough. Burn your Beatles LP's, you won't need them anymore.
quote]

I almost bought this based on the fact that it was produced by The Amazing Jim Diamond out of Ghetto Recorders in Detroit, but I went on their website and they look like fratboys, which usually doesn't make for good music.

It sounds like The Beatles?! What else does it sound like?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Finally got a chance to listen to The Rza's new LP - 'Birth Of A Prince' last night, and I was mightily impressed. Some mind-boggling rhymes and the production is way out...
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Well, what else does it sound like?

There's a bit of the Who in track 3...the vocal styling on 'Real Nice Boy' recalls Ray Davies...um, The Knickerbockers, Monkees, Byrds, the Remains, you know, all the good sunny holding hands with girls stuff that makes you a bit sad cos you'll never be that happy again...but happy cos you remember that summer.

What is a frat boy?
It's all happening!
On Fire
New user

Post by On Fire »

A fratboy is like a clean-cut, ill-mannered macho young man who's in a fraternity in college, who dresses very dull (i.e. whatever everyone else wears). These boys like stuff like Nickleback, with the angrier ones liking Metallica.

Is that what brits call "punters?"

I'll check out The High Strung's record, I just found out you can download it in the Brian Jonestown site. I had no idea it was that happy and groovy. I thought it would be more fuzzy and rockin'. I'm dealing with the fact that not ALL records are fuzzy and rockin'...*sigh*.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

No, punter just means 'customer', usually, or 'gambler'.

The Nickleback fan you describe would be known here as a 'twat'.
It's all happening!
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

On Fire wrote:A fratboy is like a clean-cut, ill-mannered macho young man who's in a fraternity in college, who dresses very dull (i.e. whatever everyone else wears). These boys like stuff like Nickleback, with the angrier ones liking Metallica.

Is that what brits call "punters?"
Nah, we just call 'em twats!
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Is there an echo in here?
It's all happening!
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

sly saxon wrote:Is there an echo in here?
Sorry Sly Saxon! I'll turn my echo box down...down...down...deep on down....

So as we were saying, new rock aint new rock it's old rock. It's Faith No More, Chilli Peppers, Bad Brains (dare I mention Stone Temple Pilots?).

Nickleback Schnickleback!

By the way, Love with Arthur Lee were effing fantastic. I strongly urge you to go and see em.

And buy the new Obi Trice album 'Cheers' ....it be right good!
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

The only album I've bought in the last month or so is Ballboy's, the Sash My Father Wore. It was something of a drab dissapointment going by what went before but anyone who releases an album with that title containing a song that goes by the same title with the line 'you're a big fat bigoted arsehole' is ok by me.
spacedudesteve
Known user

Post by spacedudesteve »

Everyone should checkout the 22 20's, a new band from Lincoln I think.

I saw them at Southampton Joiners last month and they fucking rocked.

Their ep '05/03' is class too,as its live. They are kinda bluesy rock.

See them now!
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

22 20...saw them on Jools Hollands thing. Looked ok, but always a bit suspicious of teenage whiteboys who got the blues THAT bad, but Lincs IS bandit country...(sorry to sound so prejudiced - they did sound pretty good for all that, but I remember that other band GOMEZ)

Ballboy - does that ring a bell cos I read it here earlier, or did I hear the song on the wireless? mmm

spacedudesteve - Saints 2-0 Skates ahaha!
It's all happening!
spacedudesteve
Known user

Post by spacedudesteve »

I thought Gomez were scousers?

I missed 22 20's on jools holland as i was at a gig, but trust me they are worth seeing.

Yes, pompey lost 2 - 0, but im a uni student, and so portsmouth isnt my hometown and i support arsenal! though it was a shame of them to lose to the scum! (only joking!)
juliette
Known user

Post by juliette »

The dirtbombs from detroit ROCK
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

sly saxon wrote:
Ballboy - does that ring a bell cos I read it here earlier, or did I hear the song on the wireless? mmm

spacedudesteve - Saints 2-0 Skates ahaha!
I think Ballboy might've been played by Mark and Lard at some point and John Peel's plays them a fair bit.

I think Gomez are from Huddersfield or Hull or some other non-descript part of northern england that begins with H
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

My point about GOMEZ wasn't about them being from Lincs or anywhere in particular, it was more about skinny middle class teenage whiteboys from the shires making out as though they'd ridden boxcars through the hobo jungle with hell hounds on their trail with cobra snakes fer neckties etc and o my gosh...

You know I WAS a skinny middle class whiteboy from the shires, and I know I had the blues REAL bad...god damn. I'll tell you something, those stones in my passway REALLY used to piss me off.

And I suppose the entire history of Rock and Roll has been about selling skinny whiteboys etc etc ( and although Elvis was pretty entitled to his blues by most standards (what with old shep going and dying like that), I'll bet he was living on Easy Street compared to his black neighbours)

HOWEVER, the 22:20's did look and sound good on Jool's, and rocked good.

Don't forget the Buff Medways '1914' though, if it's rough arsed garage punk you want.
It's all happening!