Look I Know You Don't Like The Who But...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

steven
Known user

Look I Know You Don't Like The Who But...

Post by steven »

As there has been a slight interest in them here recently:-

07/06/04-Birmingham NIA
10/06/04-Cardiff International Arena{or does the "I" stand for Indoor?}

Tickets go on sale Today Friday 30th April at 10.00am from usual outlets.
Tickets are £30ish probably more like £40 once you get all the thieving booking fees,p+p,etc.

"I Woke Up In A Soho DoorWay,A Policeman Knew My Name
He Said You Can Sleep At Home Tonight If You Can Get Up And Walk Away..."

I always wondered if they were talking about Raymond's Review Bar...but I digress.
(you have to say that last bit in a high-camp Scottish accent for it to be funny)
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

oohhhh please, nobody cares about the who anymore, they are just a bunch of old wankers with silly haircuts. and one pedophile. they are way past their prime and like oasis should have called it a day long ago.

don't get me wrong, their past was brilliant, but why bother, why tarnish the brilliance.

xxxshonnxxx
steven
Known user

Post by steven »

You Wouldn't Let It Lie!.....You Would Not Let It Lie!
I have held high office,etc,etc.

I know exactly what you mean about tarnishing the brilliance but it's not a given that these bands always will.
Brian Wilson has been pissing out pure Gold round these parts for the past 18 months,whereas The Beach Boys themselves,well you can't even call that music.
Van Morrison had something of God with him every night up untill about 1989 when he became just an obscene joke.
James Brown has become cabaret and The Stones are only worth it about 25% of the time,if Keef is in the mood.
Never mind the so-called Doors and tonnes more people who there really is little point in ever seeing.

But there are other acts who don't necessarily have much going for them by way of new material but can still find something to say in the old stuff-Dylan will play 2 hours of mangled shite and then drop an acoustic "It Aint Me Babe" as beautiful as the night sky.
New Order,Public Enemy,Jonathan Richman,Love,sometimes Lou Reed,Bowie,pick your own examples but some stars can still shine on brightly.

And The Who are in the second camp for sure.
Like you say,there are few people going to deny that they were one of the mightiest bands ever.
What I say is that the "thing" that made Hendrix doubt he could follow them on stage is still there:and even if it's only 50%,well 50% of a Saturn 5 rocket is still a firework you want to see.

I went to see Thin Lizzy when I was 12,blah,blah and for the last 21 years I've averaged something like 25 gigs a year,blah,blah,as well as playing a few myself.
Just like everyone else who visits this site!
I saw Nirvana,Pixies,Iggy,Mazzy Star,blah,blah,blah,blah.
Just like everyone else who visits this site!
I know about live music,like I know about tits and beer!
ie not much-but more than some.

I saw The Who recently,it was a good night,they're playing some more shows,go if you want,don't if you don't.
a beautiful noise
Known user

aaww stevie just given ya bit of shit. you do make a bit of sense though. don't know about that second half of groups, for fuck sake, bowie, lou reed, new order, no thanks man, all have turned ta crap. lou reeds latest, what was it the raven, absolute PISS, bowie, please i won't even bother with. but hey james brown, goddammit, now your on to something.

you can only judge a man by his word so, i will go see the who when they play the local faire!!

if you can't laugh at yourself, laugh at somebody else. all in good fun stevie, i promise!!
steven
Known user

Post by steven »

Oh yeah.I wouldn't even have bothered saying anything,only it's a bank-holiday here,traditionally the time to pick a fight with strangers!
And writing crap on this thing is more fun than the work I am supposed to be doing.

Hey the big example of oldskool fuckers I forgot-Johnny Cash doing "Hurt" and "Mercy Seat",etc.Pretty cool way to bow out.
Dave Gilmore did a good show a couple of years ago and Neil Young was great last year.
Some guys stay cool,some don't.
I was never cool so I don't need to worry.

But you piss me off cause every time I see your name I get that fuckin Neil Diamond song stuck in my head!
And I don't even know the words-it's just da-da-dada-da-da,yada-yada-ya-ya....
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

the fact that the y even considered doing something using that name after moon died makes them all WHORES in my eyes. (late entwhistle being the lesser whore aside from being one of my favourite bass players)
They were great.. some records make me so happy, not just nostalgically but in a fresh way
a beautiful noise
Known user

ahhh the bank holiday, and your working. thats brilliant.

neil young is still absolutely genius. one of my idols. saw him a few years ago, kinda like a family reunion, his wife, and friends were there on stage, kinda hokey-pokey. but he did a magnificant version of cortez the killer.

well stevie, thats the name of our band, i had no idea it was a neil diamond (sorry mom). but hey, if i can piss ya off that easy, shit, your a catwalk. have agood weekend stevie, headin out to see stereolab. enjoy.

xxxshonnxxx
steven
Known user

Post by steven »

Man,I'm sorry to do this to you but....

http://denise-concert.tripod.com/ND-04.html

Takes about 20 seconds before the noise gets beautiful...
a beautiful noise
Known user

hey that wasn't too bad, i think we will sample and loop it backwards. hey, its abetter name than our old band, the fallen idols. go ahead $26, their is something somewhere out there of our recording.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s stereolab, should call it a day, the opening act mice parade, sounded like a bad cover version of stereolab. saturday saw us watching b.r.m.c yyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn.
one trick pony, giddyup!
steven
Known user

Post by steven »

Glad you enjoyed it-while the link is up be sure to visit the "firework display" feartured as the last "song" of the "concert"-Finale/America--fucking priceless entertainment!
Hey BRMC are here on Friday night-small world but I wouldn't want to clean it.
(By "here" I mean Sheffield,England. I don't really live on Dune)
Sorry to hear about Stereolab.
a beautiful noise
Known user

hey stevie, ya know i have seen brmc about 7-8 times, usually opening up for somebody, spiritualized, dandy warhols etc. this time headlining all the distortion and feedback was missing from the set. you could literally talk over the heavier songs. we just heckled them during the soft ones, sorry we were a bit pissed and it was my good friends birthday, and the show cost too much, as did the beer, so they i look at it they had it coming.

so overview, spent way too much money on shows this weekend to only to be left completely LIMP.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s now i am wondering of going to see belle and sebastian tonite will be another let down. jesus, when is spiritualized coming back to the states.