Wooden Shjips and Lumerians

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

purespace
Known user

Wooden Shjips and Lumerians

Post by purespace »

Holy Jesus how did I miss THESE folks?!?!? Wooden Shjips have been mentioned here before and thanks for not kicking my arse for not paying attention. Now I've also been turned on to Lumerians out of San Franciso by the great folks at Aquarius Records. Here's a review from Other Music:

Here we've landed this exclusive download from Lumerians, and I still can't give you much more biographical information about them other than San Francisco is their home base and that you may also be able to find this EP in limited pressed vinyl somewhere, and only if you look really hard. But the slight mystery enshrouding the band is apropos given the group's penchant for crafting slow building, crepuscular psychedelia that pulls from the late-'80s/early-'90s era of taking drugs to make music to take drugs to. It's the kind of music that you want to listen to at twilight, or dawn even, when small patches of glowing reds and oranges break through the gray backdrop of the sky. The enigmatic singer's stoned melody in the opening track, "Corkscrew Trepanation," recalls J. Spaceman, as organ and guitar drone through a single chord with the bass being the main source of propulsion. "Turquoise Towers" takes a more atmospheric turn, completely vocal-less as washes of synths and white noise undulate atop a hypnotizing circular rhythm, the sustained notes of the vibraphone making the piece ever more haunting. "Orgon Grinder" continues down the one-organ-chord path of the other songs, but the hues are brighter here, the female singer's airy melody cutting through the shimmering din of gliding vibrato guitars and fuzzy keyboard. There's much to be loved in these five songs by fans of Spacemen 3, Loop and even early Stereolab, not to mention more recent carriers of the psych-torch, like Psychic Ills and San Fran's Wooden Shjips. At the same time, Lumerians have found their own trip, good stuff.

Indeed :twisted:

And Wooden Shjips are playing Terrastock 7 this year in Kentucky. Gonna be a bad summer :twisted:
I think I feel it coming on