i-Tunes EP distribution

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

i-Tunes EP distribution

Post by runcible »

Quick note on the downloadable EP.

It's £1.99, pretty cheap and affordable for everyone. Therefore it'd be good if no one starts posting megaupload links where people can get it for free. Gigs and such like seem acceptable as far as Jason's management goes but to distribute this EP is blatantly ripping the band off, so please don't!

In the mean time enjoy the EP and start getting excited about the album and tour.

Happy Easter everyone!
phaseGlyn
Known user

Re: i-Tunes EP distribution

Post by phaseGlyn »

It's a pity that iTunes is such as major pile of pish.

Anyway, less of the negativity, and a Happy Easter to all the Christains.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

The issue, sadly, is that it is not available outside of the UK. I'm all for supporting the band -- I always buy multiple copies of all their releases (vinyl, regular CD and special versions). But I don't want to miss out on something like this. It's not like a UK-only CD I can spend extra for an import copy of or buy on eBay. If I were to get a free copy, I would still buy it if it became available on iTunes Canada. However, I'm willing to wait if there is some official word on when/if it will be made available for purchase outside the UK...

Anyway, I don't think I could BE more excited about the upcoming album and tour. And Happy Easter all :D ...

Peace.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was afraid it wouldn't be available outside the UK. SUCKS!!!!!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I think it's somewhat ironic that in this age of all things digital, where media can transcend physical barriers in a matter of milliseconds, iTunes have effectively moved things backwards by not only just releasing this in lossy aac format, but have managed to prevent folks outside the UK obtaining this via any legitimate means.

Hence this situation only furthers the likelihood that this media will be distributed freely, though a cursory glance around the usual channels suggests this hasn't happened yet. I'd happily pay twice the iTunes price for a proper CD of this EP, just to hear how the versions of these 5 tracks compare to the best of the Acoustic Mainlines boots, when properly mixed down and mastered for release. Even better would be a 5.1 mix in some format...but I guess that's a bit much to hope for :(
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

It will probably be on a bonus disc with album. isn't the album coming with bonus disc?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That's bizarre - why isn't it available outside the UK? I had no idea. Seems odd.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I guess Jobs, or whatever the fuck his name is, is too busy being a fucking jerkoff somewhere to look into why this isn't available worldwide. It will be available worldwide, just not for legitimate purchase. (Just pile that in with the rest of ways that major music corporate entities fuck both artists and fans in the ass.) I guess I'll have to buy a t shirt when (if) Spiritualized come to Detroit. (Fat fucking chance on that, there's no real reason for them too, audiences/booking here both suck.) Hell, I'd buy the motherfucker a drink and a carton of smokes if I could...Oh well, keep looking for those torrents, maybe somebody will leak songs in A&E some time soon. Hell, maybe even somebody on this board...
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

P.S.

I love that there's nobody on itunes to actually complain to about this...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hey Horrorflick - you're not right here. Jason owes Detroit a lot in terms of popularity in the US. He plays there when he can and I know for a fact how much he likes people there. He played in Play It Again as well as Neptune and makes a point of asking about people he has made friends with there if he's relatively close.

Don't discount him playing there - I know he will if its possible.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

runcible wrote:Hey Horrorflick - you're not right here. Jason owes Detroit a lot in terms of popularity in the US. He plays there when he can and I know for a fact how much he likes people there. He played in Play It Again as well as Neptune and makes a point of asking about people he has made friends with there if he's relatively close.

Don't discount him playing there - I know he will if its possible.
I'm crossing my fingers like a motherfucker!!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="Horrorflick"]I guess I'll have to buy a t shirt when (if) Spiritualized come to Detroit. (Fat fucking chance on that, there's no real reason for them too, audiences/booking here both suck.) Hell, I'd buy the motherfucker a drink and a carton of smokes if I could...quote]

You may well have to live up this promise as there is supposedly a tenative Detroit date. But Jason quit smoking(as of Novemeber anyway). Until I saw his New Years resolution to try and start smoking again.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

spzretent wrote:
Horrorflick wrote:I guess I'll have to buy a t shirt when (if) Spiritualized come to Detroit. (Fat fucking chance on that, there's no real reason for them too, audiences/booking here both suck.) Hell, I'd buy the motherfucker a drink and a carton of smokes if I could...quote]

You may well have to live up this promise as there is supposedly a tenative Detroit date. But Jason quit smoking(as of Novemeber anyway). Until I saw his New Years resolution to try and start smoking again.
Give the man some time to recover, he'll be lighting 'em end to end in no time... Supposedly a tentative Detroit date, huh? Pardon me if I don't start doing cartwheels in the street. (I'm still pissed off that I missed Low, that's all...)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

has anyone actually tried to get an account for the uk store set up? in case you're in america (like me) and already have an account with the american itunes store, you can't use it to purchase music in the uk store and you can't set up a seperate account for the uk store without a uk-based payment method. amazing that none of the six-figure-salaried egg-heads at apple never thought something like this would occur. another 'so close, yet so faraway' situation. i'm glad that the band and their fans are going to end up being punished for their (and i mean apple here) short-sightedness and as someone already pointed out there's nowhere to complain to. i'm going to do some investigation tho. i'm not surprised though- my band never got paid for three mp3 albums that we sold through itunes and neither did our distributor. i think it's happened again with our new cd.
Last edited by shalloboi on Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I second the first part of your post, shalloboi.

I don't see how me having someone send me a non-restricted version of the EP is ripping off the band. There is no way I can purchase this anyways. If it were possible, then I would gladly do so. I'm already going to four Spz shows in the next six months and will purchase the new album on every format purely out of loyalty to the group and everyone involved.

However, if it were available to purchase through the Spz website...well, that would be a completely different situation. :wink:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Horrorflick wrote: Supposedly a tentative Detroit date, huh? Pardon me if I don't start doing cartwheels in the street. (I'm still pissed off that I missed Low, that's all...)
:?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

toomilk wrote: I don't see how me having someone send me a non-restricted version of the EP is ripping off the band. There is no way I can purchase this anyways. If it were possible, then I would gladly do so. I'm already going to four Spz shows in the next six months and will purchase the new album on every format purely out of loyalty to the group and everyone involved.

However, if it were available to purchase through the Spz website...well, that would be a completely different situation. :wink:
I agree actually. As I mentioned I had no idea you couldn't buy the EP outside the UK. What I was really driving at was the idea of posting a link to a free download on the official forum would look... well, tacky I guess.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

runcible wrote:
toomilk wrote: I don't see how me having someone send me a non-restricted version of the EP is ripping off the band. There is no way I can purchase this anyways. If it were possible, then I would gladly do so. I'm already going to four Spz shows in the next six months and will purchase the new album on every format purely out of loyalty to the group and everyone involved.

I agree actually. As I mentioned I had no idea you couldn't buy the EP outside the UK. What I was really driving at was the idea of posting a link to a free download on the official forum would look... well, tacky I guess.
This kind of thing happens a lot with the Itunes store...
What I sometimes end up doing when I really care about a band is that I actually purchase the same number of downloads as I give away 'illegally' to overseas friends, buying it for them basically (or they pitch in if it's too expensive). That way the band makes more money and is not out of pocket and everyone gets to hear it who would have paid for it anyway- (i.e real fans). But that's perhaps taking loyalty to a silly level and it doesn't stick it to the corporation in any way.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

If people are going to download something (be it the EP or the album itself), then they are going to download it and nothing I or a moderator posts on the matter will cahnge that. But to request and/or provide links on the band's official message board is indeed taking the piss.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Sunny - I kinda see your twisted logic there, but my take on free/illegitimate downloads has always been from a try-before-you-buy perspective - I've bought around 90% of the CDs (or occasionally even records, such as the 2 rare 12" Spz remixes) I own after hearing a download.

I've no desire to re-ignite the compressed/lossy vs. decent argument, but I know the maths, have experienced the subjectives and heard the output. But I sincerely feel that QC @ Spaceman HQ has fucked-up on this one...they're welcome to the money, hopefully it will help future progress/output, but they're not gonna get mine.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yeah runcible, I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but it does kind of suck for us non-UK folk.

It would be really great and - without a doubt - profitable if management were to make this available for purchase via the website for everyone. However, given the recent problems with Apple and such, there are probably some major hoops to jump through. Nonetheless, it would be very nice.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

toomilk wrote:Yeah runcible, I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but it does kind of suck for us non-UK folk.
He posted this before he knew there were problems for those us outside then UK.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

So.... Unless I missed something, the last official word posted on the prescriptions page says that the EP will be available everywhere so until we I hear otherwise, i'll wait. JESUS, it was only just made available... Relax and give it a chance.

and... it has been beat to death b4, but the try b4 u buy theory works for about 1% of consumers. Giving music away works well for promotions but if you are going to make a small living off of it, every record/cd/download sale counts. TRUST ME.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

spzretent wrote:
toomilk wrote:Yeah runcible, I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but it does kind of suck for us non-UK folk.
Yeah, just realized that. I was venting.

</venting>
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

toomilk wrote:
spzretent wrote:
Yeah, just realized that. I was venting.

</venting>
Vent away - whether it's Steve Jobs' fault or someone elses, mangement is there to anticipate and fix these sorts of issues. If no one thought to ask or try and address this issue (and then manage expectations accordingly) there is a serious shortfall in competancy somewhere along the line.

My recomendation - fuck iTunes and download a full Acoustic Mainlines gig instead.
Dave Chappelle
Hans Lucas
Known user

Post by Hans Lucas »

mojo filters wrote:Sunny - I kinda see your twisted logic there, but my take on free/illegitimate downloads has always been from a try-before-you-buy perspective - I've bought around 90% of the CDs (or occasionally even records, such as the 2 rare 12" Spz remixes) I own after hearing a download.

I've no desire to re-ignite the compressed/lossy vs. decent argument, but I know the maths, have experienced the subjectives and heard the output. But I sincerely feel that QC @ Spaceman HQ has fucked-up on this one...they're welcome to the money, hopefully it will help future progress/output, but they're not gonna get mine.
Someone nudge me when this comes out on vinyl.
Time is the substance of which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along. But I am time. It's a tiger, tearing me apart; but I am the tiger.
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

Is there anything that can be done to get Apple to release this in the US? It does seem a bit daft that it's available in the UK but not in the US. I would have thought that in this digital age it's simply a case of pressing a button but maybe I'm naive. If a few of us could e-mail Apple and if that would make any difference, I'd be more than happy to do that.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

G* wrote:Is there anything that can be done to get Apple to release this in the US? It does seem a bit daft that it's available in the UK but not in the US. I would have thought that in this digital age it's simply a case of pressing a button but maybe I'm naive. If a few of us could e-mail Apple and if that would make any difference, I'd be more than happy to do that.
It's probably not a technical issue. Perhaps it's down to different liscencing territories and copyright laws... dunno, I'm crap at understanding that sort of stuff. Either way you would have thought they would find a way to make it work globally.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

runcible wrote:Quick note on the downloadable EP.

It's £1.99, pretty cheap and affordable for everyone. Therefore it'd be good if no one starts posting megaupload links where people can get it for free. Gigs and such like seem acceptable as far as Jason's management goes but to distribute this EP is blatantly ripping the band off, so please don't!

In the mean time enjoy the EP and start getting excited about the album and tour.

Happy Easter everyone!
Happy Easter to all.

Erm...maybe a dumb question but do I need to download a bit of software in order to purchase this...or is there a "straight-too" link?
Shoulders back, smash it
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

iTunes eleKtroniK:musiK iTunes

have a nice evening.

M

http://www.apple.com/itunes/
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You need i-Tunes on your machine (which is free from the apple web site). Once installed go to the i-Tunes store and buy. It's pretty easy - if I can do it anyone can!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

runcible wrote:You need i-Tunes on your machine (which is free from the apple web site). Once installed go to the i-Tunes store and buy. It's pretty easy - if I can do it anyone can!
Cheers Runcible...sussed it out...I now have a "now" bit of software to boot...get it "to boot!"

Whoever said the haemoroids thing needs shot...it's all i can think about when he sais that line...
$26 if it wasn't for a new obsession for VM's "The Way Young Lover's Do" i'd be beating a path to your door for a serious pistol whipping...whatever that means.

I'm so glad I didn't bother with the tracklisting before buying..."Lord Let it Rain on Me"...Easter song for an Easter people. Bliss. And as for "Death Take your Fiddle"...achingly sincere. :arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it
nailik
Known user

Post by nailik »

How do i get this if I don't use an iPod?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

you can burn it to disk and then re-import it.
should work.

M
Design.